• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

GhaleonEB said:
You know perfectly well the GOP has used it at record levels since Obama got in office. Literally, levels never before seen, and for hosts of non-controversial legislation and appointees. As was said, you have to ignore reality to make the kind of assertions you are making.
Neener neener, Democrats started it.

0l68I.jpg
eznark said:
I say old chap, the derision you so vehemently cast towards our esteemed peer Jackson is quite incorrigible.
I proffer my sincerest gratitude, sir.

Loudninja

White House: Debt Talks To Continue Monday
A Sunday evening White House summit on debt negotiations has concluded with no signs of progress after a weekend full of fits and starts in the talks between President Obama, Congressional Democrats and Republicans.
After the Sunday evening meeting, Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer announced via Twitter that talks would continue Monday and Obama would hold a press conference at 11 a.m. but did not immediately characterize the state of play. Statements from Congressional leaders indicated that Democrats and Republicans were still locking horns on the key issues of tax increases and changes to entitlement programs.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...use-summit-on-debt-talks-underway.php?ref=fpb

Kosmo said:
When Democrats give it up, Republicans will give it up. It serves a purpose, as bastardized as it's use has been in the past by both parties.
Ah, the ever continuing myth that both parties are guilty of the same crimes. SMH

SRG01

Cygnus X-1 said:
No. Why should be stupid?

The economy of the States after thy crisis did not sink into the helldepths, because of the public sustainments. The idea was to prevent the crisis to be even more larger and wait that the private sector would start to produce jobs again.
Point is that this did not happen and now the state cannot sustain the country anymore, but also cannot leave it otherwise it would shrink like a PET.

China is not laughing especially because they are buying US's debt increasing their political weight. No! It would be childish. I think they are laughing because their communism with capitalistic elements is proving to be very successful. In other words, the state "China" directs money exactly where and when is needed, making the growth steady, but controlled. Sure, with lot of side effect on society and environment, but they don't care. They care to outweight the States as soon as possible. As one economist said "it is the triumph if the public hand onto the private sector. Tuning it, without suffocating it".

And anyway, facts are that China's GDP will surpass States maybe even before 2016. And in the meantime, Republicans and Democratics are fighting on some stupid, old principle. And they don't see the overall picture of the planet's economy.

You've got to be kidding me. Huge chunks of China can be considered 3rd world and only a very small portion of their population enjoys their newfound wealth. And truth be told, their economic output is only possible by foreign investment and cheap labor. The Chinese middle class pales in comparison to the western world.

http://theiowarepublican.com/2011/tir-poll-bachmann-overtakes-romney-in-iowa/

Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has surpassed former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney in a recent Iowa poll that was conducted by TheIowaRepublican.com. With Bachmann now leading in Iowa, Romney has fallen to second place, but he is still well ahead of third place finisher Tim Pawlenty, who has overtaken Herman Cain my a miniscule margin.

Bachmann received support from 25 percent of likely Iowa caucus goers in the poll, while Romney is backed by 21 percent. The poll also shows signs of growth for former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, who now stands in third place in statistical tie with Herman Cain at just under nine percent. Ron Paul finished with six percent, Newt Gingrich with four percent, Rick Santorum with two percent, and Jon Huntsman rounded out the field with one percent.

ToxicAdam

I wonder if our economic problems aren't just because people have 'given up'. Given up on earning more, buying more, insuring a better future for their children, building a better community etc etc.

There was a recent poll that had 40 percent of Americans saying that our economy is in permanent decline. I would love to see that 40 percent delved into more and get their opinions on why they feel that way and what they plan to do in the future. Also, the demographics of those people. Is it just reactionary to the past 3-4 years? Or is it something deeper that cannot be fixed?

Institutions of this country were also held in higher regard. Our government, religion, banks, big business, public schools have all seen precipitous drops in favorable ratings in the past 2 decades. I don't think the internet and the 24/7 news cycle has helped in this regard. Only reinforced the negative stereotypes of these pillars of society that people once held in higher esteem.

Irrational optimism is what drove the economy back from the recession in the past. Maybe that is gone forever. Or maybe this is how it always has been in deep recessions, we just are now 'more aware' and introspective about it.

--- /// ---

Incognito said:

Yawn .. wake me up when she makes waves in NH or SC.

Once the SC voters hear Mr. Bachmann give a speech, they will head for ze hills.

GhaleonEB

Dude Abides said:
Yes. Thank you Michele for making the GOP primary interesting.
Until the marginally more normal New Hampshire primary, at any rate. Iowa is known for supporting The Crazy in GOP primaries (though even this is pushing it for them).

My home state. It alternates in filling me with pride and embarassment every few years.

Ecotic

So Joe Scarborough is dying his hair now for some reason. o_O

His hair wasn't even that gray before but now his hair looks totally implausible. He should have gone for the "Touch of Grey" box by Just for Men, instead of trying to look like a guy in his 20's.

jaxword

Jackson50 said:
I doubt you genuinely believe this. Otherwise, if only.

Actually, I kind of do. Killing Bin Laden was a hell of a trump card, and his supporters will use it pretty handily. I'm surprised you'd think otherwise.

Note : I'm not necessarily 100% behind Obama, but I think he'll win the next one unless Huntsman pulls a massive PR boost somehow.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
jaxword said:
unless Huntsman pulls a massive PR boost somehow.
Axelrod and all must be pleased that the only Republican that can realistically defeat Obama doesn't have a chance in his own party's primary.

Cygnus X-1

SRG01 said:
You've got to be kidding me. Huge chunks of China can be considered 3rd world and only a very small portion of their population enjoys their newfound wealth. And truth be told, their economic output is only possible by foreign investment and cheap labor. The Chinese middle class pales in comparison to the western world.

So what? This is not what I'm talking about. GPD of China vs. GDP US that's all. Social and environment considerations are another story. China will overcome the States at the earliest in 2016 and they will lead the planet's economy during the XXI century. This is what's going on and I doubt there is nothing to stop that, outside some exceptional event. And attention that Brazil and India are just around the corner.

The key to their success is not only their massive amount of natural resources; not only the fact that the potential workforce is 5-fold the one of the States; and not only because of the debt-thing (which, as said, it's not that relevant). The same neoliberal thinking of the western countries, especially americans, gave China the upper hand, you know?

When US companies started to produce everything in China because they wanted to have larger profits, they killed their own nation. US started to be a consuming country, whereas the keys of the production went to China.
A suicide. A crazy policy based only on inextinguishable greediness. Ask yourself why States's private sector us unable to produce jobs: maybe because the tertiary, consuming-oriented sector is what remains? Secondary, manufacturing sector went to china. The research and development, plus some exceptions (weapon industry) is what remains.

This is an extract of the book Trading away our future (2008)

The great Silicon Valley innovation machine hasn’t been creating many jobs of late -- unless you are counting Asia, where American technology companies have been adding jobs like mad for years. …Today, manufacturing employment in the U.S. computer industry is about 166,000 -- lower than it was before the first personal computer, the MITS Altair 2800, was assembled in 1975. Meanwhile, a very effective computer-manufacturing industry has emerged in Asia, employing about 1.5 million workers -- factory employees, engineers and managers. … Some 250,000 Foxconn employees in southern China produce Apple’s products. Apple, meanwhile, has about 25,000 employees in the U.S. -- that means for every Apple worker in the U.S. there are 10 people in China working on iMacs, iPods and iPhones. The same roughly 10-to-1 relationship holds for Dell, disk-drive maker Seagate Technology, and other U.S. tech companies.

JMB

Banned
Dude Abides said:

Please don't let her anywhere near the Presidency.

If I could choose anyone for the GOP candidacy it would be Gary Johnson who seems like a down to Earth, honest and decent guy.

eznark

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
I wonder if our economic problems aren't just because people have 'given up'. Given up on earning more, buying more, insuring a better future for their children, building a better community etc etc.

There was a recent poll that had 40 percent of Americans saying that our economy is in permanent decline. I would love to see that 40 percent delved into more and get their opinions on why they feel that way and what they plan to do in the future. Also, the demographics of those people. Is it just reactionary to the past 3-4 years? Or is it something deeper that cannot be fixed?

Institutions of this country were also held in higher regard. Our government, religion, banks, big business, public schools have all seen precipitous drops in favorable ratings in the past 2 decades. I don't think the internet and the 24/7 news cycle has helped in this regard. Only reinforced the negative stereotypes of these pillars of society that people once held in higher esteem.

Irrational optimism is what drove the economy back from the recession in the past. Maybe that is gone forever. Or maybe this is how it always has been in deep recessions, we just are now 'more aware' and introspective about it.

--- /// ---

Once the SC voters hear Mr. Bachmann give a speech, they will head for ze hills.

Thoma (lulzorz eznark read Thoma what a sell out!!!) had a pretty interesting blog up yesterday about the effect of the bubble mentality on our perceptions of the overall economy. He argued that US citizens are comparing their current lot with the unrealistic and inflated "norm" that existed during the bubble years. For example people will think the economy is shit until their $200,000 house (real market value) is worth the $290,000 it was in 2006.

It was like a three paragraph post that I assume he will flesh out more in the future since it's 1. interesting and 2. provides cover for Obama...two of Thoma's favorite things!

gcubed

S1lent said:
:lol

I still feel honored to have my username be part of such a classic bit of PoliGAF history.

such warm and fuzzy memories

eznark said:
Thoma (lulzorz eznark read Thoma what a sell out!!!) had a pretty interesting blog up yesterday about the effect of the bubble mentality on our perceptions of the overall economy. He argued that US citizens are comparing their current lot with the unrealistic and inflated "norm" that existed during the bubble years. For example people will think the economy is shit until their $200,000 house (real market value) is worth the $290,000 it was in 2006.

It was like a three paragraph post that I assume he will flesh out more in the future since it's 1. interesting and 2. provides cover for Obama...two of Thoma's favorite things!

i can see how people think their depressed how pricing is a lull and not the new normal. I think that goes into it, but so does taking over $45 to fill up your tank of gas. I would bet that there is a good percentage of people that dont know what their house is worth.

Clevinger

scorcho said:
Axelrod and all must be pleased that the only Republican that can realistically defeat Obama doesn't have a chance in his own party's primary.

Come on, guy. Romney can realistically defeat Obama.

eznark

Banned
gcubed said:
i can see how people think their depressed how pricing is a lull and not the new normal. I think that goes into it, but so does taking over $45 to fill up your tank of gas. I would bet that there is a good percentage of people that dont know what their house is worth.

You truly have no idea. It's awful. They can't even tell you what the appraised value they pay taxes on is. What the hell? How do these people function.

Kill music. Kill gym. Replace them with personal finance. Do that, I might find public schools less detestable.

You've clearly never heard Huntsman speak.

eznark

Banned
Hitokage said:
*rolls eyes*

Can we at least have them watch that one episode of the Cosby Show where Theo has to pay his own way?

why do you have to kill music and gym in order to teach personal finance?

Aren't public school teachers always crying about lack of resources (time, money, bodies)? How could we add an entire new curriculum?

Kosmo

Banned
eznark said:
Can we at least have them watch that one episode of the Cosby Show where Theo has to pay his own way?

Haha, totally forgot that episode. "I can survive on balogna and bread!" *takes back a dollar

Aren't public school teachers always crying about lack of resources (time, money, bodies)? How could we add an entire new curriculum?

Yes, and the horror of only getting 4 months off a year - when I hear people call in to radio stations and propose moving to school full-time and away from summers off because our kids are "falling behind", I just laugh my ass off.

eznark

Banned
Kosmo said:
Haha, totally forgot that episode. "I can survive on balogna and bread!" *takes back a dollar

Yes, and the horror of only getting 4 months off a year - when I hear people call in to radio stations and propose moving to school full-time and away from summers off because our kids are "falling behind", I just laugh my ass off.

Let's not turn the poligaf thread into that. It's as ugly as an abortion talk. I just meant that we aren't going to expand the days or the time in class, so trade-offs will need to be made.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Xdrive05 said:
Fingers crossed that she takes it.

main.jpg

Dude Abides said:

You people who treat politics as entertianment and a game are the same scum who buy news of the world. It's not in our interest to have someone like Michelle Bachmann in a position of power or as a serious candidate for anything, regardless of whether you want her to be president, to run so that you can be entertained by her craziness, or to run to make it easier for Obama to win.

None of those reasons are good. Lowering the level of discourse for your personal amusement is why crap like fox news and News of the World exists. It's harmful to society, and you should be ashamed.

Bento

eznark said:
You truly have no idea. It's awful. They can't even tell you what the appraised value they pay taxes on is. What the hell? How do these people function.

Kill music. Kill gym. Replace them with personal finance. Do that, I might find public schools less detestable.
Wouldn't this be an awful idea considering how fat Americans already are? Or has things gotten to point that nobody considers this to be a problem anymore?

eznark

Banned
Bento said:
Wouldn't this be an awful idea considering how fat Americans already are? Or has things gotten to point that nobody considers this to be a problem anymore?

Elementary gym classes aren't working, we must keep elementary gym classes!

Kosmo

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
You people who treat politics as entertianment and a game are the same scum who buy news of the world. It's not in our interest to have someone like Michelle Bachmann in a position of power or as a serious candidate for anything, regardless of whether you want her to be president, to run so that you can be entertained by her craziness, or to run to make it easier for Obama to win.

None of those reasons are good. Lowering the level of discourse for your personal amusement is why crap like fox news and News of the World exists. It's harmful to society, and you should be ashamed.

List of networks that treat politics as entertainment:

CNN
MSNBC
Fox News
ABC
NBC
CBS
...any network on TV

gcubed

eznark said:

You've clearly never heard Huntsman speak.

typing on my phone is a pain in the ass... what i meant was "their depressed house pricing is a lull". I agree that yes, they dont know if and how much their house price is down, especially in comparison to what is remaining on their loan, and even fewer have any clue what their assessed property price is. I dont think that need personal finance classes, just some common sense / being an aware consumer classes.

Esch

Banned
Understandable to treat politics as a source of entertainment when our current situation is nothing but comical.

Evlar

Banned
Ezra Klein said:
The more I hear about the breakdown of the debt deal, the more this seems to have been a straightforward humbling of John Boehner. Here’s how a Democratic aide described the talks to Politico’s Mike Allen:

A number of folks in the room were struck by the fact that Cantor did virtually all of the talking for House Republicans, while Boehner basically just sat there.​

Think that’s just Democratic spin? Here’s how a top Republican lawmaker described it to John Bresnahan, Jonathan Allen and Jake Sherman:

“It’s crazy to think the speaker was considering a trillion [dollars] in tax increases. After all, we’re the anti-tax party,” said one veteran Republican lawmaker close to leadership. “Cantor brought him, the economy and our party back from the abyss. Cantor is strengthened, clearly. And it’s another example of the speaker almost slipping beyond the will of the GOP conference.”​
A remarkable moment, I think. Discipline in the Republican caucus has vanished.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
While I think it's a great proposal, but I'm a bit cynical about it. This is what I expected from the party we elected in 2008. But they would never pass anything this progressive, as we saw from the constant squabbling when they held the House. Even a Dem controlled House, this wouldn't go through.

I don't think Obama would sign it, either. Too harsh on the wealthy for his tastes.

:lol

Yeah okay buddy. I'd say too harsh for the Senate DEMs taste. They know this can't pass, hence why it's offered.

ToxicAdam said:

she's moving up in the NH polls and attracting crowds in SC that rival obama in 2007.

EschatonDX said:
Understandable to treat politics as a source of entertainment when our current situation is nothing but comical.

anything/anyone that promotes going into more debt to pay off debt is comical IMHO. Let me pay off my credit card payment.. with my credit card....

eznark said:
I'd like a required class in high school called "Stuff You'll Actually Need in Life". You have to take it junior or senior year. Teach personal finances (how to budget, balance checkbook, etc.), home repair, personal fitness and diet, and some other stuff (I would say basic auto work but this isn't the 1970s so other than changing your oil or changing headlights or taillights, it'd be kind of useless). It's almost pathetic that we need to have a class like this, but I bet it would be one of the most valuable classes taught for about 90% of the kids today.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Skiptastic said:
I'd like a required class in high school called "Stuff You'll Actually Need in Life". You have to take it junior or senior year. Teach personal finances (how to budget, balance checkbook, etc.), home repair, personal fitness and diet, and some other stuff (I would say basic auto work but this isn't the 1970s so other than changing your oil or changing headlights or taillights). It's almost pathetic that we need to have a class like this, but I bet it would be one of the most valuable classes taught for about 90% of the kids today.

I'm a teacher and I agree with you except for one point--these classes should be taught in college. The VAST majority of high school kids don't care and won't bother remembering what they learned.

I think it's absolutely ludicrous that they teach economics in high school. None of the kids care and/or remember anything that is taught. Make economics a required 1st or 2nd year college course when they're actually spending money to live. Then it hits home. It's worthless while they're still living at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom