• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Part of my problem with the 20 week cutoff is it, to me, seems like a "harmless" way to restrict it more later. That once you take it to 20, you're that much closer to taking it to 16, then 12, then 8...

i'm completely fine with removing a number and moving to viability. I guess that completely moves me away from seeing any redeeming portion of the GOP's proposals

FLEABttn

Banned
i'm completely fine with removing a number and moving to viability. I guess that completely moves me away from seeing any redeeming portion of the GOP's proposals

That still sort of takes us to a number though as then the royal we get to argue over the definition of viability.

Cool news from Pennsylvania:
Pennsylvania’s Attorney General Won’t Fight Gay Marriage Lawsuit
By TRIP GABRIEL
Pennsylvania’s attorney general, Kathleen Kane, said on Thursday that she would not defend the state against a lawsuit to overturn a ban on same-sex marriage.

Ms. Kane, a Democrat, traveled from Harrisburg, where the suit was filed in Federal District Court on Tuesday, to make her announcement at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. She quoted from Pennsylvania’s Constitution forbidding discrimination “against any person” and said that “disparate treatment” based on race, religion and ethnic origin were no longer tolerated, and “it is now the time here in Pennsylvania to end another wave of discrimination.”

The lawsuit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union with 23 plaintiffs, including 10 gay and lesbian couples, two teenage children of one couple and a widow who lost her partner of 29 years, cites a ruling last month by the Supreme Court striking down the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

It was the first of a wave of lawsuits that activists are planning to file to expand the number of states allowing same-sex marriage, including in Virginia and North Carolina.

Attorneys general in Illinois and California have previously declined to defend their states in similar cases. In Pennsylvania, the general counsel’s office of Gov. Tom Corbett, a Republican, was seen as likely to pick up the defense.

Ms. Kane, who was elected attorney general last year and has been mentioned as a possible future candidate for governor, struck a political note in her brief announcement to an audience that cheered and applauded her decision.

“I looked at it this way, the governor’s going to be O.K.,” she said. She wondered, she added, who would represent “the Daves and Robbies, who represents the Emilys and Amys?”

“As attorney general,” she said, “I choose you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/u...ral-wont-fight-gay-marriage-lawsuit.html?_r=0

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/07/paul-clinton-early-leaders-in-iowa.html

PPP's newest look at the Republican race for 2016 in Iowa finds a new leader. Rand Paul is at 18% to 16% for Chris Christie, 14% for Jeb Bush, 11% for Marco Rubio, 10% for Ted Cruz, 6% for Rick Santorum, 2% for Bobby Jindal, and 1% for Susana Martinez. Paul also led the last time we polled New Hampshire with 28% to 25% for Rubio and 14% for Christie.

Marco Rubio had led the way when PPP polled Iowa in February, but has dropped 5 points since then even though his favorability rating is basically unchanged (54/13 then, 54/14 now). Candidates rising since then are Christie (up 4 points and also from 36/33 to 45/27 on his favorability), Paul (up 3 points and from 55/19 favorability to 60/15), and Ryan (up 5 points and from 63/16 favorability to 68/12).

Paul is leading based on his appeal to the furthest right segment of the GOP. With 'very conservative' voters he's at 25% with no one else polling above 13%. Paul is also particularly strong with men (getting 21% to 17% for Christie) and younger voters (getting 32% to 26% for Ryan). Christie has a big advantage with moderates, Bush leads with seniors, and Ryan is up with women.

On the Democratic side Hillary Clinton continues to be totally dominant, getting 71% to 12% for Joe Biden and 5% for Elizabeth Warren with no one else polling above 2%. Clinton is doing even better than she was in February, when she registered at 68%. Her favorability rating is 87/7. Clinton polls at 72% with women and 69% with men, 72% with young voters and 67% with seniors, 77% with liberals and 63% with moderates. Clinton also led our last New Hampshire poll with 68% to 12% for Biden and 5% for Warren.

If Clinton were to stay out of the race, Joe Biden becomes the big favorite. He has an 80/8 favorability rating and polls at 51% to 16% for Elizabeth Warren, 9% for Andrew Cuomo, and 6% for Cory Booker.

And if Clinton and Biden were both out of the mix, Warren leads the way with 20% to 18% for Cuomo, 12% for Cory Booker, 7% for Kirsten Gillibrand, 4% for Martin O'Malley, 3% for Brian Schweitzer, and 2% for Mark Warner.

When it comes to the general election Clinton is a clear favorite against all comers. Chris Christie comes closest to her but still trails by 7 points at 43/36. After that it's Paul Ryan trailing by 9 at 49/40, Rand Paul down 11 at 48/37, Marco Rubio down 12 at 47/35, and Jeb Bush down 14 at 50/36.

How the hell is Christie up so high?

Name recognition and moderate appeal. He may have taken a hit for being nice to Obama but on a poll there will always be 10% who select him based off general name recognition.

IMO as long as he survives SC he'll be fine. Not saying he'll win, but he'll have the money to make it to NH and other more moderate states. He might also benefit from a quick democrat primary process, with some democrats/dem leaning independents voting for him in open primaries after Hillary locks up the dem nomination.

Gotchaye

So far so good for my predictions. Immigration had to work out just right for Rubio to be a contender. Rand Paul still set to explode Perry-style. Paul Ryan's a dark horse with fantastic favorability who could shoot up in the head to heads given a break. PPP doesn't even include Ryan in their headline result even though he got 15% - typical liberals.

So far so good for my predictions. Immigration had to work out just right for Rubio to be a contender. Rand Paul still set to explode Perry-style. Paul Ryan's a dark horse with fantastic favorability who could shoot up in the head to heads given a break. PPP doesn't even include Ryan in their headline result even though he got 15% - typical liberals.

I'd love to see Rand Paul and Ryan debate. You know Rand would brandish the Bush card, knocking Ryan for only becoming fiscally responsible after a democrat entered office. Also Ryan is rather cold and unemotional whereas Paul has a sense of humor.

gcubed

I'd love to see Rand Paul and Ryan debate. You know Rand would brandish the Bush card, knocking Ryan for only becoming fiscally responsible after a democrat entered office. Also Ryan is rather cold and unemotional whereas Paul has a sense of humor.

Paul Ryan would be destroyed in a debate between the two. I dont think Ryan has any shot at being taken seriously on a national stage (elected office) anymore

Sacrilege in the guy-code, I know! Thing is, bikinis don't have a lot of material to work with. I've always thought these bathing suits were better, more fun, and cuter.

This is the point!

How does one fully tan in that monstrosity?

If a boy were to ask me out I don't think I'd allow him to pay for my own meal or have him hold the door open for me and whatnot.

I don't understand this. I hold the door open for everyone if I'm ahead of them. If I'm entering the bank and some huge muscle-head is coming up behind me, I hold the door open for him. I thought this is just part of being courteous. I think if I went out on a date and held the door open for a girl and she was upset about it, I'd find it very weird.

The meal stuff I totally get, but opening the door? that's not always a male-female dichotomy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Paul is leading based on his appeal to the furthest right segment of the GOP. With 'very conservative' voters he's at 25% with no one else polling above 13%

Interesting. Rand Paul's states rights view on drugs, anti-interventionist on military, anti drones, and anti-NSA surveillance never seemed like the types of things the "very conservatives" would like. Then again the fact that he opposes that immigration reform bill, criticized the Civil Rights Act, and is completely white maybe all those folks need in order to like him more than Rubio.

No need to waste taxpayer money on overseas racism when you can partake in racist policies right at home I guess.

This is the point!

How does one fully tan in that monstrosity?
Pfft. Who cares about tanning?
The meal stuff I totally get, but opening the door? that's not always a male-female dichotomy.
I wasn't saying that it was. I was saying holding the door open for me in conjunction with pulling out a chair for me and scooting me in, and so on. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I can do all that myself, thank you!

gcubed

Interesting. Rand Paul's states rights view on drugs, anti-interventionist on military, anti drones, and anti-NSA surveillance never seemed like the types of things the "very conservatives" would like. Then again the fact that he opposes that immigration reform bill, criticized the Civil Rights Act, and is completely white maybe all those folks need in order to like him more than Rubio.

No need to waste taxpayer money on overseas racism when you can partake in racist policies right at home I guess.

there are plenty of people that are very conservative that like Paul. I think your misconstruing very right or very conservative with very social conservative

Clevinger

As long as you're trashing a Democrat with it, they'll like it.

By the way, thanks Obama for legitimizing Rand Paul because of your crappiness.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Could senators eliminate filibusters of executive branch nominees without affecting judges or legislation?

Procedurally, it might well be possible, but critics of the plan that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., appears ready to bring to his caucus Thursday afternoon are already raising that question.

Interesting question. I support this 1000%. It's utter idiocy to require approval to run a president's own administration.

Stupid Madison...

Pfft. Who cares about tanning?

Everyone who ain't as white as casper!

I wasn't saying that it was. I was saying holding the door open for me in conjunction with pulling out a chair for me and scooting me in, and so on. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I can do all that myself, thank you!

Ah, okay. Yeah, I understand the chair stuff.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
there are plenty of people that are very conservative that like Paul. I think your misconstruing very right or very conservative with very social conservative

I think only people that are both financial and social conservative would check the most conservative checkbox when asked how you describe yourself.

As long as you're trashing a Democrat with it, they'll like it.

By the way, thanks Obama for legitimizing Rand Paul because of your crappiness.

Yeah that's probably it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...6e8684-ea55-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html

WASHINGTON — The federal government on Thursday reported a rare surplus of $116.5 billion in June, the largest for a single month in five years. The gain kept the nation on track for its lowest annual deficit in five years.

The surplus was due in part to $66.3 billion in dividend payments from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The mortgage giants were taken over by the government at the height of the 2008 financial crisis and are now repaying taxpayers for the support they received.

Through the first eight months of the budget year, the deficit has totaled $509.8 billion, according to the Treasury. That’s $394.4 billion lower than the same period last year.
thanks obama

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) declared Thursday on the floor that is Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) changes the filibuster rules with 51 votes, he's "going to be remembered as the worst leader in the Senate, ever."

Reid, in a colloquy on the floor, responded that McConnell "says the process works. Ha, ha, ha. The process works? The status quo is good? I don't think so." He said McConnell appears to be the only one who believes the Senate

The majority leader mocked McConnell's "big crocodile tears" over the possibility of a rules change.

Lol

McConnell doesn't care. When republicans take the senate they'll probably shitcan the regular filibuster anyway. And besides as Ezra Klein pointed out, this just means his caucus won't have to worry about voting for controversial cabinet picks ever again.

way more

Texas Republican representative Steve Toth
My wife worked at a home for unwed moms, and one of the little kids that was born, his name is David. David came about as a result of his mom and dad, who were just 16 at the time, going to a Planned Parenthood deal where they taught them how to use contraceptives. They were not sexually active at that point. They got into the car, and they were so hot and bothered from this deal, he couldn’t even get the condom on.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...on_causes_pregnancy_by_sexually_arousing.html

Fuck man, talking about birth control just gets me so fucking wet I'm gonna blow.

stock-footage-condom-on-banana-v-ntsc.jpg

Oh fuck, that shit is hot.

RDreamer

Texas Republican representative Steve Toth

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...on_causes_pregnancy_by_sexually_arousing.html

Fuck man, talking about birth control just gets me so fucking wet I'm gonna blow.

Oh fuck, that shit is hot.

I'll just file this in my shit that totally happened folder....

Even if it did happen like that I'm not sure what exactly that proves. They were not sexually active and then went to a planned parenthood thing on how to use condoms. What the fuck do you think their intention from that point was to do? With or without that seminar thing, they likely would have had sex. They went to that thing because they were going to cross that line and apparently wanted some education. Good on them for that. Stupid of them to then ignore that education altogether, though, but I really doubt it was Planned Parenthood's fault...

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'll just file this in my shit that totally happened folder....

Even if it did happen like that I'm not sure what exactly that proves. They were not sexually active and then went to a planned parenthood thing on how to use condoms. What the fuck do you think their intention from that point was to do? With or without that seminar thing, they likely would have had sex. They went to that thing because they were going to cross that line and apparently wanted some education. Good on them for that. Stupid of them to then ignore that education altogether, though, but I really doubt it was Planned Parenthood's fault...
Someone should ask him about the couple, because I don't think it happened at all.

After an earlier failed attempt, the House GOP has finally passed a bill to fund U.S. farm policy over the next five years. The only catch? This new legislation is missing the $743 billion in food-stamp funding for the poor that had been in previous bills.

Instead, House Republicans approved a package of subsidies for farmers worth about $195 billion over the next 10 years. The final vote was 216 to 208.

But unlike the Senate farm bill, the House version has no funding whatsoever for food stamps. The House leadership has said it will come back later this month and focus on food stamps in a separate piece of legislation.

Disgusting. So they pass subsidies for farmers but won't help the poor eat.

If only the media would roast them for it. But they won't.

New Gallup poll on imigration!

hr-efm4thuadbpwgg13ezw.png

vmeig362-esjtbxo7xpefw.png

nj01olztw0e8j3ivtuqdjg.png

Good thing the GOP is trying to lock up the conservative white vote by ignoring immigration, amirite?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163475/passing-new-immigration-laws-important-americans.aspx

Bwahaha, the GOP is so fucking out of touch with almost everyone it's absurd. Over 80% of conservatives want a pathwway to citizenship yet the House can't pass that.

unreal. The GOP House is basically the American fringe. No one agrees with them on anything.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm actually pretty shocked at the polling there for a pathway to citizenship. I support it but assumed it wasn't generally supported.

Get it in gear, House!

Sorry, I don't believe 83% of conservatives support a pathway to citizenship. Gallup shat the bed in 2012, can't say I'm apt to believe them here.

Sorry, I don't believe 83% of conservatives support a pathway to citizenship. Gallup shat the bed in 2012, can't say I'm apt to believe them here.

shat the bed by being a few percentage points off, in reality. And that type of polling is different since you're weighting based on demographics. This is just straight polling.

I don't know why it's a surprise. I've never met anyone, conservative or otherwise, who doesn't believe those here illegally need some kind of path to citizenship. The disagreements will be in how long it takes, how hard it is, etc, but seriously, who thinks we should not do it and just deport all 11 million of them? Mouth-breathers, for the most part.

Most conservatives will say there's no other option even if they don't like it. Reality is still reality.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I would. Because largely women aren't waiting 20 weeks and then dumping it off for no reason at all. That just doesn't happen. What happens is medical emergencies and things like that, and I'd rather not have doctors and patients in that situation have to jump through hoops proving to the damned government that it actually is an emergency or that it was needed. The decision should be up to the doctor and the patient, not the government or you and I.

Also, there are so many hoops put up (by republicans) nowadays that tend to push people that want to have early abortions later and later until they hit that line where they legally can't anymore. That's another reason an abortion would wait until later, and it's reprehensible to me.

Also a major genetic screening is done at 20 weeks that not only helps uncover things like Down syndrome, but also Edwards, Patau, etc. those other diseases are quite awful and children born with them die very young. It's an excruciatingly awful thing to go through, but putting a ban at 20 weeks would mean you have very limited time to make the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom