• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also a major genetic screening is done at 20 weeks that not only helps uncover things like Down syndrome, but also Edwards, Patau, etc. those other diseases are quite awful and children born with them die very young. It's an excruciatingly awful thing to go through, but putting a ban at 20 weeks would mean you have very limited time to make the decision.

Which is part of the reason they chose 20 weeks. Life is sacred to them, no matter what. Some people would abort at that time frame if they knew their kid would have something like down syndrome, and to them life is life no matter what.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
shat the bed by being a few percentage points off, in reality. And that type of polling is different since you're weighting based on demographics. This is just straight polling.

I don't know why it's a surprise. I've never met anyone, conservative or otherwise, who doesn't believe those here illegally need some kind of path to citizenship. The disagreements will be in how long it takes, how hard it is, etc, but seriously, who thinks we should not do it and just deport all 11 million of them? Mouth-breathers, for the most part.

Most conservatives will say there's no other option even if they don't like it. Reality is still reality.

Yup, I have the same experience. Immigration is the only thing my father and I agree on politically.

Wilsongt

I feel like I should move further south into South Carolina to keep away from North Carolina's present stench. The insanity appears contagious.

say goodbye to the house GOP
-In CA-10, 44% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support Jeff Denham next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 24% more likely to. 78% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 66/28 margin. There’s 73/25 support from independents and 51/42 from Republicans.

-In CA-21, 42% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support David Valadao next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 20% more likely to. 78% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 65/25 margin. There’s 61/33 support from Republicans and 54/35 from independents.

-In CA-31, 47% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support Gary Miller next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 25% more likely to. 75% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 65/28 margin. There’s 58/35 support from Republicans and 55/37 from independents.

-In CO-6, 47% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support Mike Coffman next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 25% more likely to. 77% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 65/27 margin. There’s 60/29 support from independents and 56/34 from Republicans.

-In MN-2, 44% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support John Kline next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 19% more likely to. 77% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 69/24 margin. There’s 66/29 support from Republicans and 65/26 from independents.

-In NV-3, 40% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support Joe Heck next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 31% more likely to. 76% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 61/34 margin. There’s 59/38 support from independents and 49/47 from Republicans.

-In NY-11, 43% of voters say they’ll be less likely to support Mike Grimm next year if he votes against immigration reform, to only 25% more likely to. 78% in the district think it’s important for the US to fix its immigration system this year, and voters support this specific plan by a 66/26 margin. There’s 69/27 support from independents and 59/32 from Republicans.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...er-backlash-if-immigration-reform-stalls.html

Wilsongt

You're already in South Carolina, though. Land of scant gas taxes and shitty roads.

Indeed. I always make sure to fill my tank either before leaving South Carolina or after I leave North Carolina when I go up to Brevard.

Edit: Also, land of the really shitty tax on prepared food.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, so the National Review and Washington Examiner have been hammering on Rand Paul HARD for his neo-confedrate associations.

Yeah, yeah establishment hates Paul, but the thing that surprised me more about this was how both outlets were straight up bashing the idea of confederate sympathizers to begin with. They even go as far as saying that the Civil War actually happened because the South wanted to keep slavery!

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wonder if Paul still plans to run as a Libertarian if he doesn't get the Republican nomination. That's really the best-case scenario.

Don't worry, they'll just win more white voters and write their own immigration bill in 2015 when they have the House, Senate, and enough members in those chambers to impeach Obama.
Actually they will convince their idiot voters that it was in fact they who supported the immigration bill, not their opponent, and cruise to victory. All you people keep thinking facts matter to Republican elections. Truth can be adjusted, facts can be changed. Everything goes!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...email;cheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat+Sheet

Thought this was a great article about why the GOP is so vocal about Obamacare - it's because they know it will be largely successful and thus irremovable.

On the flip side, what does this say about a party that is afraid health care in this country will be improved?
Dollars to donuts that if Romney had been elected, he would have pushed for a repeal of Obamacare and release his own plan that'd be exactly like it, only he'd get to take the credit for it.

So with Napolitano leaving DHS, there are rumors that Susan Collins will take her place. Which would open up the Senate seat in Maine.

Game changer if true.

gcubed

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Prop-8-backers-ask-court-to-stop-weddings-4662269.php

The ruling reinstated then-Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker's August 2010 decision that declared Prop. 8 unconstitutional and barred state officials from enforcing the 2008 initiative.

But in Friday's lawsuit in the state Supreme Court, lawyers for Prop. 8's proponents argued that Walker's ruling applied only to the individuals who filed the suit, a lesbian couple from Berkeley and a gay couple from Burbank. The lawyers said Brown exceeded his authority when he ordered all 58 county clerks to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

i swear, people need to learn when you are beaten.

Sharks. Tornados. Enough said!

Was listening to Here and Now earlier. Apparently that is pretty much the movie's tagline. Wikipedia verifies:

Sharknado_poster.jpg

Also:

Best one so far:
My opponent is conspiring with angry chefs, shifty Canadians and racists.

Others:
- I want an America where military-industrial warmongers and government bureaucrats cannot undermine our iPhones.
- I will not stand for an America where communists and illegal immigrants can take away our powerful SUVs.

I support this.
A bill pitched by U.S. Sen. Al Franken this week could bridge the job skills gap and give students the training, tuition and real-world internships needed to fill 3.5 million job openings, Franken said Thursday.

“I’ve sat down with far too many businesses across Minnesota that have job openings they can’t fill because they can’t find workers with the right skills,” Franken said during a conference call with Fridley business owner and well-known job trainer Erick Ajax.

The answer to the skills gap — which affects a third of all manufacturers — lies in “the successful partnerships I’ve seen in Minnesota, where businesses and community colleges come together to train the workers they need,” Franken said. “I know [this] is a common-sense way to solve this problem and get people to work, which is why I’m introducing this bill.”

If it passes, Franken’s bill, dubbed the Community College to Career Fund Act, would create a multibillion-dollar grant program to fund partnerships between businesses and two-year colleges that would address the skills gap. The partnerships would give more students on-the-job training, paid apprenticeships and internships and a rigorous curriculum at community colleges and technical schools.

The model is standard practice with many other countries but has limited reach here in the United States, Franken said, though he applauded Minnesota training programs such as Right Skills Now, M-Power and Fast Track.

Franken’s initiative could boost the skill set of U.S. workers, drive more manufacturing jobs back to the United States and prepare workers for the new generation of factory, energy, IT and health care jobs. But first, Congress needs to act, he said.

Franken complained that two-year community and technical colleges only receive $2 billion in federal funds, while four-year colleges receive $20 billion in federal aid.

So far, the bill has won the support of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU), Dunwoody College of Technology, South Central College, the Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association, Wyoming Machine and E.J. Ajax Metal Forming Solutions.

Franken has toured Minnesota factories and schools with business owner Ajax and modeled his bill after what Ajax has done at his factory in Fridley.

Ajax, co-owner of the E.J. Ajax & Sons metal stamping operation, told reporters Thursday that he has trained, hired and paid the college tuition for more than 30 students, veterans and ex-cons by working with Hennepin County Technical College.

His company, which makes 70 percent of North America’s appliance hinges, needed workers trained on computerized manufacturing machines. To get workers up to snuff, he partnered with local community and technical schools, provided paid on-the-job training at his factory and paid 100 percent of his workers’ tuition, said Ajax, who employs 53 and provides apprenticeships for 13 journeymen.

Franken said such stories are thrilling. “This is the kind of thing that just excites me. It literally gives me chills,” he said. “This is what we need to be doing. This is why I came to the Senate.”

Right now, his bill is a stand-alone effort, but could find its way into the larger Work Force Investment Act, which is under review in the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee.
http://www.startribune.com/business/215116641.html

Oblivion

Let's recap the basics of what happened. James Knight, a married Iowa dentist, employed Melissa Nelson, who is two decades his junior, and who is also married. Nelson showed no interest in a romantic relationship and did not make any advances towards her boss.

She was nevertheless fired, not because Nelson was bad at her job, but because Knight said he might be tempted to have an extramarital affair with her, and in fact, made unrequited advances. In other words, the dentist, with his wife's encouragement, fired his assistant so he wouldn't be tempted to pursue a woman who'd expressed no romantic interest in him.

The Iowa Supreme Court, made up entirely of male justices, said that's legal because it wasn't technically gender discrimination -- Knight didn't fire Nelson because she's a woman; he fired her because he found her attractive. Indeed, as part of Knight's defense, his lawyers noted Nelson was replaced by a different woman (whom he presumably found less pretty), which helped prove that he wasn't motivated by misogyny.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2...preme-court-oks-firing-attractive-people?lite

Oblivion

Is beauty/ugliness a protected class? Guess not.

Similar to hiring big boob waitresses at Hooters.

Well, when you put it that way, I suppose there's no reason for anyone to be upset by this decision.

Fuchsdh

Wow, so the National Review and Washington Examiner have been hammering on Rand Paul HARD for his neo-confedrate associations.

Yeah, yeah establishment hates Paul, but the thing that surprised me more about this was how both outlets were straight up bashing the idea of confederate sympathizers to begin with. They even go as far as saying that the Civil War actually happened because the South wanted to keep slavery!

Urgh. I hate when they have the argument about "was the Civil War about slavery" because it always turns into a binary proposition. "No it wasn't, yes it was." History isn't binary, and trying to understand the Civil War as purely "these guys wanted to have slaves" is almost worse than not understanding the Civil War at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom