• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Surprise!

Russia Missing from Trump’s Top Defense Priorities, According to DoD Memo
A Pentagon memo outlining the incoming Trump administration’s top “defense priorities” identifies defeating the Islamic State, eliminating budget caps, developing a new cyber strategy, and finding greater efficiencies as the president-elect’s primary concerns. But the memo, obtained by Foreign Policy, does not include any mention of Russia, which has been identified by senior military officials as the No. 1 threat to the United States.

pigeon

Banned
I'm actually pretty much full up on searching news stories about how Republicans voted to destroy their own social services because they assumed that Trump would not take away the social services of white people

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, the Trump campaign did some things right. We should acknowledge that.

But also, campaigns might just not matter that much.

At the same time it's looking like there was a huge swing in the rust belt at the very last second, 538 had a piece on some of what they're seeing today and it's really looking like the bottom fell out at the last minute for the Clinton campaign.

studyguy

I'm actually pretty much full up on searching news stories about how Republicans voted to destroy their own social services because they assumed that Trump would not take away the social services of white people

wp8cgsfhz0hx.jpg

PBY

Banned
At the same time it's looking like there was a huge swing in the rust belt at the very last second, 538 had a piece on some of what they're seeing today and it's really looking like the bottom fell out at the last minute for the Clinton campaign.

Just seems weird to me that the campaign TOTALLY took that area for granted. Not only in visits (know she was in PA a fair bit), but also in the messaging and voter interaction. Just seems weird to assume that because you have a 5 pt lead, that is sufficient comfort to try and run up the score in other areas. Utah, AZ, GA... sigh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just seems weird to me that the campaign TOTALLY took that area for granted. Not only in visits (know she was in PA a fair bit), but also in the messaging and voter interaction.

They were up by like 7 in the area for what was essentially the entire campaign and Trump had no shot at catching them, why would you invest time and money into an area where you were running away with it? In hindsight we can say they should have spent more time there, but going off what they knew at the time there wasn't much reason to go to Michigan or Wisconsin.

Here's the article I was talking about: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rump-at-the-last-minute/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Donald Trump’s somewhat surprising win has forced many political analysts to wonder: Were we wrong all along in thinking Hillary Clinton had the upper hand, or was late-breaking movement to Trump part of the reason why polling averages missed his upset Electoral College victory? There’s certainly evidence that the polls underestimated Trump’s support in crucial Midwest states. But the latest wave of the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics panel survey that my University of Pennsylvania colleague Diana Mutz and I have been overseeing is now complete, and it provides new evidence that voters did shift to Trump in the final weeks of the campaign, too.

It's not a definitive study, those will come later, but I have a feeling that what they found here is going to be what they find in the autopsy: the race shifted at the last minute due to factors unknowable and the whole thing fell apart.

studyguy

Ted Cruz literally serves 0 purpose now with a republican congress and no presidential aspirations lol.

But muh courageous conservatism! We faced down the odds and duked it out against the liberal media machine and won
a phone booth in the Trump campaign.

Really if Ted fades into obscurity I have no qualms with it. Undoubtedly him and he Freedom Caucus will still be out here shitting on everything for not being far enough to the fringe for even the GOP.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ted Cruz literally serves 0 purpose now with a republican congress and no presidential aspirations lol.

No, he's going to be Trump's punching bag for the next two years. Plus he needs someone to exact his revenge against, watch Trump campaign against him in the midterm election.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The only bright spot here. The guy literally thought he was the next Reagan (lost in the primary, come back 4 years later and beat the democrat) and Trump destroyed that dream.

Veelk

Banned
They were up by like 7 in the area for what was essentially the entire campaign and Trump had no shot at catching them, why would you invest time and money into an area where you were running away with it? In hindsight we can say they should have spent more time there, but going off what they knew at the time there wasn't much reason to go to Michigan or Wisconsin.

Here's the article I was talking about: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rump-at-the-last-minute/?ex_cid=story-twitter

It's not a definitive study, those will come later, but I have a feeling that what they found here is going to be what they find in the autopsy: the race shifted at the last minute due to factors unknowable and the whole thing fell apart.

That's why I can't really hate on Clinton too much for 'not campaigning enough'

Everything suggested that she already had more than what she needed on lock down. Why would she spend resources where she didn't need to? It's only in hindsight at best that we recognize this wasn't the best decision. And in a normal election, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cross-posting from the OT thread, but the Net Neutrality elimination is going to be a HUGE gift to democrats in 2018/2020. Take away a Millennial's Internet and make people pay more for Netflix, and they're going to be energized to vote.

I'm not being sarcastic, either. It is a priority for a large amount of people right now.

Abounder

Banned
Have you read GAF lately? Including Poligaf?
Clinton was one of the WORSE CANDIDATES EVER and ran one of the WORST CAMPAIGNS EVER.

Both are inconvenient truths. Hillary barely campaigned compared to the rookie Trump whether it was rallies or media presence, and even Obama has called out Hillary's lazy ass. There's no worthwhile excuse for skipping Wisconsin, or shitting on politics 101 by not putting in the effort, particularly after the Michigan polls. But to be fair it is a problem for the Democratic party as whole, they are especially garbage at the local levels.

Not to mention Hillary's all-time deplorable ratings and being hounded by the FBI. Such an arrogant gamble.

Cross-posting from the OT thread, but the Net Neutrality elimination is going to be a HUGE gift to democrats in 2018/2020. Take away a Millennial's Internet and make people pay more for Netflix, and they're going to be energized to vote.

I'm not being sarcastic, either. It is a priority for a large amount of people right now.

Assuming Democrats are smart enough utilize the anger and assuming a lot of voters aren't duped into believing Republicans who will spin it as positive.

sphagnum

Banned

This assumes Democrats will bother with it.

One thing I find notable is how much the discourse today reminds me of the period immediately after Bush's re-election. Today, as then, there was talk of Permanent Republican Majority because Bush & Rove (today, Trump & Bannon) have found the "secret sauce" to get a majority, at least in the Electoral College, regardless of performance in office (never mind that there is ample evidence from political science to the contrary). Bush's plan to privatize Social Security was sure to pass, and suffer no backlash, because Fox News would sell it to the brainwashed masses as reform (just like with the Trump/Ryan plans for Medicare/SS today). We're also having similar conversations about the rural vote. And then, as now, the standard rebuttal to the notion that the current political situation won't last is "this time is different" for pretty much all the same reasons.

I know I am late on this, but I am really getting tired of people wasting their political energy on getting rid of the EC. That's requires a constitutional amendment and if Democrats end up at a point where they can pass amendments, then they won't even need to get rid of the EC anyway.

A much, MUCH better approach would be to advocate for repeal the Reapportionment Act of 1929:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapportionment_Act_of_1929

This would have not just one, but 3 Major Benefits:

1) It would give more representation in the House for Blue States (because lifting or raising the cap would give more seats mostly to blue states).

2) Because of 1, bigger states would be better represented in the EC.

3) It would give more democrats a chance to get federal government experience, thus increasing our bench.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Some fun Nate Cohn analysis on the NC turnout. Note, Durham has not came in yet, so he's removing Durham from the 2012 numbers as well so he can compare apples to apples

Most of NC vt history is updated (missing Durham, a few others) In completed counties: 2016: White 72.8, Black 20 2012: W 72.3, B 22.3 (1/x)

That's driven by both a decrease in black turnout and higher white turnout: 2016: W turnout (% RV) 71.1%, B 64.2% 2012: W 68.4%, B 69.8%

Young black turnout key. Black turnout: 18-25: 60.8% ('12) -> 46.6% ('16) 26-41: 62.7% -> 54.4% 41-65: 76.3 -> 72.5% 66+: 76.1 -> 76.4%

White turnout increased across the board: White Dems: 68.5 ('12) -> 71.1% ('16) White Reps: 73.6 -> 76.3% White Unaf.: 60.8 -> 65.7%

EDIT

I know I am late on this, but I am really getting tired of people wasting their political energy on getting rid of the EC. That's requires a constitutional amendment and if Democrats end up at a point where they can pass amendments, then they won't even need to get rid of the EC anyway.

A much, MUCH better approach would be to advocate for repeal the Reapportionment Act of 1929:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapportionment_Act_of_1929

This would have not just one, but 3 Major Benefits:

1) It would give more representation in the House for Blue States (because lifting or raising the cap would give more seats mostly to blue states).

2) Because of 1, bigger states would be better represented in the EC.

3) It would give more democrats a chance to get federal government experience, thus increasing our bench.

Note: Trump still wins the election with this change. https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/810876142987177984

How would Clinton have done in the Electoral College if every state was worth their population? The same

pigeon

Banned

This strikes me as a new version of the "legalize marijuana and you'll win in a landslide" argument

mo60

I seriously don't get why people still use that county arguement. I do not think a democrat has won the most counties in decades. So why is that arguement being used in the first place?

Plinko

This strikes me as a new version of the "legalize marijuana and you'll win in a landslide" argument

Marijuana isn't a major part of the daily lives of like 85-90% of Americans.

FLEABttn

Banned
Marijuana isn't a major part of the daily lives of like 85-90% of Americans.

The way the internet is used by most people north of age 45-50 probably isn't going to be immediately impacted in a way that makes network neutrality some gigantic election winner.

Zips

The elimination of net neutrality could very easily mean shuffling people/youth towards sites that favour Republicans and the ideas promoted by their leaders, making for a major propaganda/brain-washing tool.

In the end you need to remember most people are passive and susceptible to their surroundings. I would not count on net neutrality's elimination doing any favours for Democrats.

Plinko

The way the internet is used by most people north of age 45-50 probably isn't going to be immediately impacted in a way that makes network neutrality some gigantic election winner.

Did I say it would be a "gigantic election winner?" Can anybody say anything in this thread without the extreme being assumed?

It's not about how it will affect older people. It's about the fact that it will affect so many millenials that they will be VERY angry about it.

Saying Hillary isn't qualified, despite her very clear qualifications to be president, is just outright sexism

But the "true" liberals don't really care about feminism, so they'll just keep on pushing that garbage

FLEABttn

Banned
Did I say it would be a "gigantic election winner?" Can anybody say anything in this thread without the extreme being assumed?

You did say huge. I don't know why you're mad about this.

What is the difference between "gift" and "election winner?"

Nothing if nobody votes over it.

My 73 year old grandma uses Netflix

The worst of getting rid of network neutrality would likely be phased in over time. Your grandmother may use Netflix as much as your average cord cutter does, but I'd be surprised is most or many grandmothers do. What comes from getting rid of NN at first is likely to disproportionately affect those who vote the least.

It's not about how it will affect older people. It's about the fact that it will affect so many millenials that they will be VERY angry about it.

And post memes about it? Until young people vote in numbers that matter, who cares if they're mad?

Wilsongt

University of Texas at Austin professor Mark Regnerus, notorious for his failed efforts to prove that same-sex couples make inferior parents, is back with a new attempt to justify bigotry with science.

Regnerus is now challenging a 2014 study that found negative health outcomes for gay, lesbian, and bi (LGB) people who live in communities with significant anti-gay prejudice. According to Regnerus, he ran his own analysis of the data using ten different approaches, including a “more refined” strategy than was described in the original study, and could not replicate the results. Whereas the first study found that anti-gay attitudes significantly hampered life expectancy and had several physical and mental healthy consequences, Regnerus found no such correlations.

Anti-LGBT conservatives were quick to champion his findings. Naomi Schaefer Riley of the Independent Women’s Forum suggested the original study was the latest example of the “crisis of replication,” studies whose results cannot be recreated in subsequent experiments. At National Review, Maggie Gallagher compared the situation to a 2014 study that claimed profound results for changing voters’ minds on marriage equality with canvassing but was found to have been largely fabricated. And Focus on the Family’s Glenn T. Stanton tried to drive home the idea that LGBT people are inherently broken and their mental health challenges cannot be blamed on stigma. In his post at The Federalist, he conspicuously avoided identifying Regnerus by name, instead referring to him repeatedly only as “the author.”

Living in the return to anti-gay America is certainly causing me some harm.

Fuck this man.

JP_

Banned

Nah, the telecoms will approach it slowly to ease us into it. As they have been doing. Most people won't notice and then we'll look back after it's too late.

Plinko

You did say huge. I don't know why you're mad about this.

Because basic reading comprehension and vocabulary understanding is apparently lacking and I'm being accused of saying something I never did.

I did say "huge gift." A present. The republicans handing democrats an instant topic to attack them on. One thing to use in the campaigns.

That in no sense of the word ever equates to "gigantic election winner," which I was accused of saying.

kess

Nah, the telecoms will approach it slowly to ease us into it. As they have been doing. Most people won't notice and then we'll look back after it's too late.

Perhaps the silver lining is that it's being ushered in by way of the craziest motherfucking lunatics who have no sense of subtlety whatsoever. Democrats will have to take a page from the Republican playbook and engage in the most theatrical legislative resistance possible, or they can just roll over and die.

The elimination of net neutrality could very easily mean shuffling people/youth towards sites that favour Republicans and the ideas promoted by their leaders, making for a major propaganda/brain-washing tool.

In the end you need to remember most people are passive and susceptible to their surroundings. I would not count on net neutrality's elimination doing any favours for Democrats.

Also we need a better name than "Net Neutrality". People hear that and it immediately puts them to sleep. "Fair internet" or "internet freedom" or something.

"I want to be mad" is a problem.
Unfortunately even if Sanders had been elected, I can only imagine the number of his supporters who would turn on him on a dime when they realize a president can't just fart their agenda into existence. Something like single-payer would have a very hard time passing a Dem Congress (if not impossible), much less a Ryan/McConnell-led one.

Ten million college students are going to rally outside their offices? Cute. Seems far more likely they'd sit at home during the midterms because Bernie "betrayed" them. Because their expectation would still be that a president CAN fart their agenda in existence, they only choose not to. If a president can't get something done, it's just proof that they never really supported it to begin with. No, it can't just be the logistics of getting 218 + 51 (60, in reality) people plus a few very specific people along the way (Senate majority leader, Speaker of the House, various committee chairmen, five SCOTUS justices if it goes to court) to all agree on something.

Toxi

Banned
Saying Hillary isn't qualified, despite her very clear qualifications to be president, is just outright sexism

But the "true" liberals don't really care about feminism, so they'll just keep on pushing that garbage
See: That one guy who says Democrats should completely drop abortion because "it distracts attention from real issues".

And post memes about it? Until young people vote in numbers that matter, who cares if they're mad?

I think the idea many are proposing is that net neutrailty will be an issue that makes millennials mad enough to vote. Which I think has at least a little merit, although I expect there will be a lot in this upcoming presidency that pushes that generation to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom