• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they get Rand on board with cutting Medicaid, they end up losing senators.

Also I don't think Rand Paul actually wants to ruin his home state.

Everyone is latching onto the first bill they could find that didn't cut Medicaid. I do expect some sticker shock on Friday when the CBO announces 20% increases in premiums though, so we'll have to see where this develops.

Know though, that this bill has only gotten more watered down with time. It's not gotten worse.
I hope you are right. I don't really get this thing about Paul not wanting to hurt Kentucky, though. What's the point of being a conservative libertarian if you can't cut the welfare state? He's in one of the reddest states in the country and isn't up until 2022. Even Heller is less of a coward than Paul.

It seems easy for me to believe Trump has basically failed at everything recently and wanted to feel good about a win. I don't think he cares about the issue at all beyond the fact that conservatives are applauding him

I hate to sound coldly political and calculating, but if this horrible ban stands, Democrats could use it to their electoral advantage. Remember last year's DNC that was so diverse and patriotic and genuinely heartwarming to see? They could run on an extension of that concept: "Democrats support ALL our troops."

kirblar

I hate to sound coldly political and calculating, but if this horrible ban stands, Democrats could use it to their electoral advantage. Remember last year's DNC that was so diverse and patriotic and genuinely heartwarming to see? They could run on an extension of that concept: "Democrats support ALL our troops."
I mean, this worked very poorly as a wedge issue when they tried it in NC! And they're doubling down!

It's PoliGAF. We can be coldly political.

ROY COOPER IS ONLY GOVERNOR BECAUSE OF TRANS ISSUES. TRUMP WON THE STATE BY 3.5% POINTS.

Blader

I don't really see this moving the needle in either direction tbh

It's PoliGAF. We can be coldly political.

ROY COOPER IS ONLY GOVERNOR BECAUSE OF TRANS ISSUES. TRUMP WON THE STATE BY 3.5% POINTS.

Because HB2 had massive economic consequences for the state.

It seems easy for me to believe Trump has basically failed at everything recently and wanted to feel good about a win. I don't think he cares about the issue at all beyond the fact that conservatives are applauding him

FAKE BREAKING: Trump says gays can no longer own dogs; makes dogs gay too

WHITE HOUSE OFFICIAL: Democrats will lose cat people when they are forced to own dog people.

Attacking LGBT groups hasn't had the same success for republicans because steel workers in Ohio don't come home one day and find out their 15 year old son was latino all along.

This is a mistake if they think it will get them political gains.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Ernest

Banned
Like many Trump promises, nothing will come of this .
Not because he doesn't actually mean it, but because he's not willing to put in the work required to get it done.

I don't really see this moving the needle in either direction tbh

Because HB2 had massive economic consequences for the state.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-transgender-ban-military-politics-2017-7

Polling from the Public Religion Research Institute in March found 53% of respondents oppose laws requiring transgender people to use restrooms that correspond with their sex at birth.

The only thing this does is put Trump in a culture war that his side has already lost.

kess

It's a shitty wedge issue because trans people are everywhere, regardless of economics or geographic region.

The Billy and Franklin Grahams of the world hitched their wagon to an unstable lunatic.

So is today "Red meat for the rural people who wouldn't ever vote for anyone else anyway" day?

Or is this because he doesn't want these people to see that republicans are going to take their health care away?

A little bit of both I think. Maybe he's trying to appease Bannon and Pence a little bit by adopting their pet issues for the next 10 hours before moving on to dumping Sessions.

So is today "Red meat for the rural people who wouldn't ever vote for anyone else anyway" day?

Or is this because he doesn't want these people to see that republicans are going to take their health care away?

He's so totally firing Sessions this week or early next before his vacation. I truly believe that. Throw out the red meat, do the deed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anyways, if this is true (which, like, just go with me) it's so stupid.

DFqimujXsAAkqgG.jpg

This may be the biggest political blunder he's had yet. This isn't a big issue AT ALL. Look at polling. This doesn't even really register on the radar. He thinks people are going to ignore health care woes and focus on this?

Please proceed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, this worked very poorly as a wedge issue when they tried it in NC! And they're doubling down!

The reason it worked in NC is it was very easy to turn it into an economic issue. It caused a ton of companies to pull out of the state and they felt the ban sucked up all the government's time when they could be doing something useful.

There was unfortunately never that big of a concern for trans people, and I don't think it'll be very easy to replicate turning it into an issue people will care about for this instance. People mostly don't care about trans issues one way or the other.

This may be the biggest political blunder he's had yet. This isn't a big issue AT ALL. Look at polling. This doesn't even really register on the radar. He thinks people are going to ignore health care woes and focus on this?

Please proceed.

I think, if true, it's one of the poorest readings of the electorate I've seen from him yet.

Plinko

He's so totally firing Sessions this week or early next before his vacation. I truly believe that. Throw out the red meat, do the deed.

I don't know if it'll be that early, but it's coming.

Here's the thing, though: Even if he fires Sessions, he's not losing those people's votes. It will never happen. They are following him like he's a cult leader.

kirblar

"Trans people should get their own surgery" re: Military enlistees is a pretty good stand-in for the general types of issues you have w/ getting UHC passed, btw.

Singling out Stabenow is also oddly amusing. Of all the Trump state Democrats up for reelection she's easily the safest.

nb4 trans issues give Kid Rock the margin of victory for his stunning upset

I don't know if it'll be that early, but it's coming.

Here's the thing, though: Even if he fires Sessions, he's not losing those people's votes. It will never happen. They are following him like he's a cult leader.

He's not worried about losing those voters. He's worried about his perception in the conservative media which has been eviscerating him about Sessions this week. In his simple mind, I'd imagine he's banking on the fact that he's shat on transgender troops and his giving a good kick in the nuts to the separation of church and state will offer enough cover to weather the storm of firing Sessions.

Plinko

Singling out Stabenow is also oddly amusing. Of all the Trump state Democrats up for reelection she's easily the safest.

nb4 trans issues give Kid Rock the margin of victory for his stunning upset

They hate Stabenow. Established, good at what she does, and female. The republican male hate trifecta.

That's why, while I don't care who it is as long as they win in 2020 (seriously, I'll take a 78-year old Biden in a transition term), my dream is a female beats him in an election. That would be the most appropriate ending to his political career.

The reason it worked in NC is it was very easy to turn it into an economic issue. It caused a ton of companies to pull out of the state and they felt the ban sucked up all the government's time when they could be doing something useful.

There was unfortunately never that big of a concern for trans people, and I don't think it'll be very easy to replicate turning it into an issue people will care about for this instance. People mostly don't care about trans issues one way or the other.

It isn't just about economics. I honestly think most just don't want to hear about it. And when Republicans go out of their way to focus on where LGBT people can or cannot urinate it bothers them. They haven't successfully turned targeting the LGBT people into something that will benefit them the same way they have successfully demonized immigrants and other groups as having negative economic impact.

Plinko

Bill Kristol‏Verified account @BillKristol

Bill Kristol Retweeted Donald J. Trump

In America the president doesn't tell us who or what or whether to worship.

I'm quite enjoying Bill Kristol's twitter.

@SenSherrodBrown
All who serve in our military deserve our gratitude & respect. We should not turn away people who are willing & able to serve this country.

@SenatorBaldwin
A ban against any patriotic American who wants to serve our country is wrong.

@SenatorBaldwin
I stand with military leaders who support moving in the right direction. We shouldn't discriminate against anyone who wants to serve.

@SenatorBaldwin
To those transgender Americans currently in the U.S. military, thank you. Your service strengthens our military and our nation.

@clairecmc
What he said ⬇️➡️

STATEMENT BY SASC CHAIRMAN JOHN McCAIN ON TRANSGENDER AMERICANS IN THE MILITARY https://www.mccain.senate.gov/publi...eases?ID=80124D36-EF8B-4CBD-A75A-9C6C697CA235 …

wow really scaring those rust belt senators huh

UberTag

So we're roughly one week away from Donny's 18-day golfing trip for fun and frolic in New Jersey.

On what day should we expect Sessions to get shit-canned and does he plan to pursue a recess appointment of his replacement without congressional approval so he can get Mueller out of the picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom