• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis sets up commission to study question of women deacons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BBC

Pope Francis has set up a special commission to study whether women will be allowed to become deacons in the Catholic Church.

The issue has historically troubled the Church, with many opposing the appointment of females.

The commission of seven men and six women will study the issue, and look into the historical role of women in the early years of the Church.

Deacons are a clergy rank one below priest.

I can hear the old school hardline Catholics screaming from here about Francis yet again.

Baby steps.

It would be a huge boost to the Catholic Church if they allowed ordination. Women are, on average, much more religious than men and are more likely to be cool with a life of celibacy (they should drop the celibacy requirements too, but that's another topic). It would very quickly solve the problem of an ageing priesthood as currently a man in his 40s is considered a "young" priest in many places.

antonz

Baby steps.

It would be a huge boost to the Catholic Church if they allowed ordination. Women are, on average, much more religious than men and are more likely to be cool with a life of celibacy (they should drop the celibacy requirements too, but that's another topic). It would very quickly solve the problem of an ageing priesthood as currently a man in his 40s is considered a "young" priest in many places.

Doesn't help that you need to spend 8 years in school. If anything they should probably look at how they could streamline the process as far as Priests who will serve a parish and Priests who pursue advanced education that would allow them to oversee Parishes etc. Most who decide on the Priesthood end up in their mid 20s when they make the call. So by the time they are out of Seminary etc. they are already in their mid 30s closing in on the 40s.

Fj0823

As a Catholic, I say they need to let priests marry. The prospect of not being able to date turns away 90% of modern youth, no matter how religious they are

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It seems utterly ridiculous to me. It's 2016 and a group of old men in Europe have decided to start the conversation about letting people with vaginas administer an institution that claims to represent an invisible man in the sky.

Geist-

I'm an atheist and I think this would be fucking awesome. Mostly because it fits my personal aesthetic of what the future should be like, I'm a big fan of fiction that creates new versions of traditional organizations that have adapted to the more progressive societies that the future may produce.

A great example is Reverend Doctor Anna from The Expanse who had a congregation on Europa.

Air

Banned
One of those things that I never really thought about, but it'd be nice to have for Catholics. It also strikes as something that should have happened a while ago.

It seems utterly ridiculous to me. It's 2016 and a group of old men in Europe have decided to start the conversation about letting people with vaginas administer an institution that claims to represent an invisible man in the sky.

Seething with edge

Air

Banned
And yet it's a pretty factual description of what is happening.

I'm always curious how those who don't really have a stake in that dogfight can get so...bent out of shape over something completely innocuous. I could understand if it had something to do with like the pope condemning minorities to hell, but something like this, it comes across as over-dramatic. But I would guess at this point I'd guess you don't really care how it comes across so much as your ability to simply express whatever disdain you've built for that entity.

BocoDragon

I'm always curious how those who don't really have a stake in that dogfight can get so...bent out of shape over something completely innocuous. I could understand if it had something to do with like the pope condemning minorities to hell, but something like this, it comes across as over-dramatic. But I would guess at this point I'd guess you don't really care how it comes across so much as your ability to simply express whatever disdain you've built for that entity.
You're projecting a lot onto this.

There's no "attack" here. That's my description of exactly what is happening. It's honestly what I see happening and so I voice it. I'm hoping to find like-minded thinkers and open-minded debaters when I speak my truth.

But I guess you have to speak either as a true believer or in faux revenant tones about Catholicism in order to be considered a "nice" voice.

Air

Banned

There's no "attack" here. That's my description of exactly what is happening. It's honestly what I see happening and so I voice it. I'm hoping to find like-minded thinkers and open-minded debaters when I speak my truth.

But I guess you have to speak either as a true believer or in faux revenant tones about Catholicism in order to be considered a "nice" voice.

Am I? Well, it's a good thing I never said you made an attack, just that you seem bent out of shape. Also, I don't really care how you talk about Catholicism, but I just find that post interesting. Your comment was an odd duck in a fairly mild thread to me and I pointed it out. It doesn't have anything to do with being a true believer or speaking in faux reverent tones or w/e. I'm not even saying what you said was bad or should be re-said, but it's peculiar to me considering what I'm assuming your position is regarding the catholic church, the theme of the thread and your execution of your opinion in relation to everyone else.

BocoDragon

Am I? Well, it's a good thing I never said you made an attack, just that you seem bent out of shape. Also, I don't really care how you talk about Catholicism, but I just find that post interesting. Your comment was an odd duck in a fairly mild thread to me and I pointed it out. It doesn't have anything to do with being a true believer or speaking in faux reverent tones or w/e. I'm not even saying what you said was bad or should be re-said, but it's peculiar to me considering what I'm assuming your position is regarding the catholic church, the theme of the thread and your execution of your opinion in relation to everyone else.
Nope, not bent out of shape or anything. Maybe saying the emperor has no clothes would seem like an emotion-laden act, but for me it was Tuesday.

That'd probably be my reaction to a thread involving the act of any religious institution. People on this earth actually claim to speak for a deity. I really, really don't think they do. Most of my reactions to this institution is going to hinge on that fundamental disconnect.

PSqueak

Banned

Lets be fair here.

This is a thread about a conservative entity that society has been urging for years to make progress with inclusion announcing the first step towards said progress people have been asking for and your first instinct was "how can i word this into a negative way?"

BocoDragon

Lets be fair here.

This is a thread about a conservative entity that society has been urging for years to make progress with inclusion announcing the first step towards said progress people have been asking for and your first instinct was "how can i word this into a negative way?"
My first reaction was incredulity that it's beginning now in 2016?? yes. And that people are actually patiently waiting for these old men to deign to let them connect with their idea of the divine.... ? My jaw dropping in shock is a perfectly valid reaction.

Pau

I found the issue. :p

(This was one of the reasons given to me when I wanted to be a priest as a little girl.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom