• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I'm just here to acknowledge that Lady Gaga realized after her flop album and big halftime hit experience, she missed making radio friendly music and The Cure is a good effort. Praying for her safe return.

Bladenic

The Cure is absolute bottom of the barrel garbage. This confirms she's done making good music.

I suppose I'll have to always live with the fact that I never saw her live at her best i.e. Fame Monster/BTW Gaga.

xaosslug

This nonsense literally one day after my epic paean for So Happy I Could Die

The bitch can't write music anymore

no, it just further proves the honeymoon is TRULY over. SHICD is the lyrical musings of a child that thinks themselves deeper than they really are. The blinders are off.

it's bad.

it's like how when I see Gaga talk about acting as her "craft" and all the (supposed) attention to detail and nuance that was apparently applied to her countess character on AHS... (LOL) I'm reminded of Gaga's fans and how they would and still do talk about how "deep" her lyrics used to be... and it's like sis, it was ALWAYS basic ish, but she had better producers to dress that shit up. I mean one of the biggest complaints peeps have w/ Gaga's current work is that shit sounds like a demo and the production's messy.

i mean strip away the music from Poker Face and Alejandro and the lyrics are embarrassing af.

peeps are stanning The Cure because the production's there.

no, it just further proves the honeymoon is TRULY over. SHICD is the lyrical musings of a child that thinks themselves deeper than they really are. The blinders are off.

it's bad.

it's like how when I see Gaga talk about acting as her "craft" and all the (supposed) attention to detail and nuance that was apparently applied to her countess character on AHS... (LOL) I'm reminded of Gaga's fans and how they would and still do talk about how "deep" her lyrics used to be... and it's like sis, it was ALWAYS basic ish, but she had better producers to dress that shit up. I mean one of the biggest complaints peeps have w/ Gaga's current work is that shit sounds like a demo and the production's messy.

i mean strip away the music from Poker Face and Alejandro and the lyrics are embarrassing af.

peeps are stanning The Cure because the production's there.
are you drunk

are you ok

tell me if you're ok

A R I Z O N A - Oceans Away

IQ9rCcp.gif

Frodo

Where does The Cure fit? Is it part of some new project? Joanal is over?

Edit: Listening to it now and, damn, The Chainsmokers redux.

I quite like her singing softly though.

Where does The Cure fit? Is it part of some new project? Joanal is over?

Edit: Listening to it now and, damn, The Chainsmokers redux.

I quite like her singing softly though.

Same

I am completely confused as to the purpose of the Cure. Is it a standalone single? A rerelease of Joanal incumming? A lead single of an upcoming EP like TFM?

Her soft vocals are nice and can see this song catching on. But it's purpose I'm confused about

EDIT: Happy belated Birthday Whiskey and happy Birthday Via Purifico!
Aries Birthday!

vLTubSD.gif

rhandino

Banned
After a few re-listen I don't find The Cure THAT bad (to be fair, I do like me some Chainsmokers Trump-pop from time to time) but I do think is a bit disappointing coming from Lady Gaga of all people.

WEbqlPP.gif

imho the good sis has been having a bit of an identity problem with her sound since Artpop and this genre jumping that she has been doing since then doesn't work as well with her like it did with Madonna and her constant reinventions because all of them still felt like things that Madonna would do.

Oh well, maybe this is the only song like this on her new project and the rest of the album will be good (like it happened with Carlisus and I Really Like You)

rhandino

Banned
those are like the furthest apart tbh

they sound nothing alike

honeymoon and btd probably sound closer but ultraviolence is just so different to her other albums
Kind of hard to notice the difference when both of them put you into Stage 3 of sleep after the first few minutes~

HBMZfPH.gif

royalan

After a few re-listen I don't find The Cure THAT bad (to be fair, I do like me some Chainsmokers Trump-pop from time to time) but I do think is a bit disappointing coming from Lady Gaga of all people.

WEbqlPP.gif

imho the good sis has been having a bit of an identity problem with her sound since Artpop and this genre jumping that she has been doing since then doesn't work as well with her like it did with Madonna and her constant reinventions because all of them still felt like things that Madonna would do.

Oh well, maybe this is the only song like this on her new project and the rest of the album will be good (like it happened with Carlisus and I Really Like You)

This is exactly right. The thing that Madonna was so adept at doing that Gaga is currently failing miserably at is keeping her edge. No matter what genre she was doing, Madonna ALWAYS maintained her edge; a tinge of provocateur , slightly unsettling, a bit of social commentary. That's why she COULD genre-hop and still sound Madonna. You can always change the outer layers as long as the core stays the same, and Madonna has always been aware of that. For better or worse (lately worse), Madonna has always known what her brand is. She's always known what people expect of her, whether she's doing Pop, or Hip-Hop/R&B, or country. And that's why, at her peak, it always worked.

Gaga on the other hand, has an identity crises. She has no idea who she is, actually sometimes it seems like she's trying to reject who she is, and so she can't genre hop as adeptly because she has no core. It's why she always sounds like she's mimicking Jazz when she sings it, unlike Mimi and Xtina who can dive into the genre with a lot more authenticity because they both connect it to who they are as performers. Whereas Mariah and Xtina will approach Jazz in a sexy and somewhat playful way that completely connects to who they are as singers, Gaga is overly serious -- as though she's trying to convince you she's been singing Jazz all her life, and so it doesn't work.

Likewise with this new single. This is a Radio Disney, safe Chainsmokers reject of a song, and that's NEVER been who Gaga is. It lacks the edge that even her most radio friendly hits had. It's blander than a Katy Perry song. Hell, blander than Taylor Swift would dare to go these days.

It's like what we're getting lately is not, "This is Lady Gaga trying something new." Instead it's, "This is Lady Gaga trying to be something she's not," and that's not going to work.

Royalan is right when he exposed Gaga's tendency to convince everyone she's been doing something her whole life

"I've been planning my SB since I was 4"

"I always sung Jazz my whole life"

"I always wanted to be an actor first" when she won her golden globe... like no honey

But yeah, her latest single doesn't have that Gaga moment in it. Perfect Illusion had that Gaga edge to it and it worked! But floppeD sadly :(
I really don't think the Cure sounds like a chainsmokers song imo, people are only saying that because she got in some beef with them last year. It sounds current and trendy but no a chainsmokers reject lol

HBMZfPH.gif

royalan

Perfect Illusion had that "Gaga" edge.

It...was just a shitty fucking song.

Even Madonna in her prime had the occasional flop. lol

Frodo

This is exactly right. The thing that Madonna was so adept at doing that Gaga is currently failing miserably at is keeping her edge. No matter what genre she was doing, Madonna ALWAYS maintained her edge; a tinge of provocateur , slightly unsettling, a bit of social commentary. That's why she COULD genre-hop and still sound Madonna. You can always change the outer layers as long as the core stays the same, and Madonna has always been aware of that. For better or worse (lately worse), Madonna has always known what her brand is. She's always known what people expect of her, whether she's doing Pop, or Hip-Hop/R&B, or country. And that's why, at her peak, it always worked.

Gaga on the other hand, has an identity crises. She has no idea who she is, actually sometimes it seems like she's trying to reject who she is, and so she can't genre hop as adeptly because she has no core. It's why she always sounds like she's mimicking Jazz when she sings it, unlike Mimi and Xtina who can dive into the genre with a lot more authenticity because they both connect it to who they are as performers. Whereas Mariah and Xtina will approach Jazz in a sexy and somewhat playful way that completely connects to who they are as singers, Gaga is overly serious -- as though she's trying to convince you she's been singing Jazz all her life, and so it doesn't work.

Likewise with this new single. This is a Radio Disney, safe Chainsmokers reject of a song, and that's NEVER been who Gaga is. It lacks the edge that even her most radio friendly hits had. It's blander than a Katy Perry song. Hell, blander than Taylor Swift would dare to go these days.

It's like what we're getting lately is not, "This is Lady Gaga trying something new." Instead it's, "This is Lady Gaga trying to be something she's not," and that's not going to work.

klkdSjf.gif

OMG THIS BREW IS TOO HOT

Honestly the comparison is tired. Gaga doesn't have Madonna's edge, because Gaga's not provocative. She's fearless as hell with what she wants though, and that occasionally lands her in controversial territory, but that's not the same thing. And while they both like to change hats, Madonna always did it in a way that still retained her brand DNA. Her transformations were always meant to deliver pop, albeit with a new lens. It was always anchored, if that makes sense. I think Gaga's transformations are way more extreme, and while I think she's a far greater chameleon, her willingness to go all the way with it can give us major whiplash.

I'm convinced her end goal is to have the most diverse catalog of anyone out there, but it's frustrating to watch her meander through these genres when it's obvious to us which one she does best.

royalan

Honestly the comparison is tired. Gaga doesn't have Madonna's edge, because Gaga's not provocative. She's fearless as hell with what she wants though, and that occasionally lands her in controversial territory, but that's not the same thing. And while they both like to change hats, Madonna always did it in a way that still retained her brand DNA. Her transformations were always meant to deliver pop, albeit with a new lens. It was always anchored, if that makes sense. I think Gaga's transformations are way more extreme, and while I think she's a far greater chameleon, her willingness to go all the way with it can give us major whiplash.

I'm convinced her end goal is to have the most diverse catalog of anyone out there, but it's frustrating to watch her meander through these genres when it's obvious to us which one she does best.

I'm not comparing Madonna to Gaga as artists. That IS tired. I'm comparing them as Pop Icons. In that sense, I could compare any chick in the game to Madonna for the sake of this argument. Madonna has a longevity that, at this point, seems only to be matched by Beyonce and Rihanna, and her adherence to her brand is a huge reason for it.

And I think Madonna is the better chameleon for one simple reason: in her prime she could switch genres and still top charts. Still command the industry. Madonna didn't just genre hop willy-nilly, her finger was ever on the pulse. Every reinvention calculated and married to her brand. Only Mariah's iconic switch from strictly Pop Chanteuse to Rapper's Girlfriend, and Rihanna's transformation from Island Gyal to Pop/R&B Bad Bitch comes as close.

But what good is Gaga's genre-hopping if every hop makes her more irrelevant? Might as well credit Jessica Simpson with doing the same then.

[Intro]
Gwen: C'mon, Johnny! When you're gonna get here?
Johnny: Alright, hold your pretty horses, I'll be there in a minute. You just get yourself dolled up, alright Tootsie? You pick a place, you just pick a place!
Gwen: Um, Johnny?
Johnny: Yeah, Gwennie-Gwen-Gwen?
Gwen: You might wanna hurry, because tonight is theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee night!

[Verse 1: Gwen Stefani]
I'm empty
I need fulfilling, yes I do love
A-to the ceiling when I do love
I get this feeling when I'm in love
I'm restless
Can't you see I try my bestest?
To be good girl, because it's just us
So take me now and do me justice
I'm waiting
A-patiently anticipating
Your arrival and I'm hating
It takes so long to get to my house
To take me out

[Hook: Gwen Stefani]
Tonight, I'm gonna give you all my love in the back seat
Bubble Pop Electric
Bubble Pop Electric
Gonna speed it down and slow it up in the backseat
Bubble Pop Electric
Uh-oh, in the backseat!

[Verse 2: Gwen Stefani]
Okay now
I understand he's on his way now
But jeez Louise, I mean today now
I can't wait, I wanna play now
I'm antsy
Bubble Pop Electric pansies
My sweet tooth, I want your candy
The Queen of Eng would say it's randy
I'm itchy
I wish you would come and scratch me
Tonight, I'm falling, won't you catch me?
Swoop on by so you can snatch me and take me out

[Hook: Gwen Stefani]
Tonight, I'm gonna give you all my love in the back seat
Bubble Pop Electric
Bubble Pop Electric
Gonna speed it down and slow it up in the backseat
Bubble Pop Electric
Uh-oh, in the backseat!

ef1Sxev.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom