• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Shotgun Kiss said:
According to "The Final Hours of Portal 2", Portal 2 originally didn't have GlaDOS or portals in it at all; it used another gimmick entirely. However, playtesters were disappointed, so they started over from scratch.

The gimmick that was originally planned for Portal 2 is being kept under wraps, as Valve are looking to turn that into a brand new game.

Wow didn't know that.

btw: I'm in chapter 7 now and this is the best game this gen...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I finally started the co-op campaign yesterday with a friend and it's one of the coolest and funniest experiences I've ever had. We stopped when we unlocked the 4th test chamber and so far, we were only stuck in about two tests.

There is a problem however...when we finished the third test chamber (the light surfaces one), my friend unlocked the trophy for it and I didn't. Is that a known bug? It looks like we're going to have to replay it in order for that trophy to unlock for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My music player just shuffled onto the Portal 2 soundtrack. Makes me happy. <3

This game is GOTY if not more....WOW chapter 8 now...and...don't know how to describe it...it's something like a Half-Life 2 feeling....an absolutely fantastic experience...

This game is so amazing. Can't wait to play co-op...it's like a journey that hopefully never ends. Everything is so perfect....dialogue, pacing , gameplay, story, characters...
Still in chapter 8...still can't believe that it's a "puzzle-game"...

Portal is the modern Tetris.

btw: Played Portal 1 years ago. It was good, not great...but Portal 2 is better in every way imo.

Can someone who owns the PS3 version help me to complete the co op campaign? I've barely touched it and those trophies are calling me!

Send me a PM of you are interested in pretending like you havent gone through all the levels before and we can exchange info!

I have a mic.

Cipherr

The perfect Dark said:
This game is GOTY if not more....WOW chapter 8 now...and...don't know how to describe it...it's something like a Half-Life 2 feeling....an absolutely fantastic experience...

I think its why I love it so much, it has a half life eerie vibe, but without a bunch of cyborg monster shit jumping out at you. I cant fucking stand horror games, but I love the atmosphere they create. I know that doesn't make sense, but I like the atmosphere of games like that, but I dont like to have a game frighten me with horror movie-esque stuff. Fuck that!

Cipherr said:
I think its why I love it so much, it has a half life eerie vibe, but without a bunch of cyborg monster shit jumping out at you. I cant fucking stand horror games, but I love the atmosphere they create. I know that doesn't make sense, but I like the atmosphere of games like that, but I dont like to have a game frighten me with horror movie-esque stuff. Fuck that!
I know what you mean. There is a very special atmosphere in Portal 2. It's like Half Life 2 without enemies.
And the ending..woah...wtf...am I the only one who thinks that it's a very sad ending?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think sad is too oversimplified. If I had to distill it down to a single word I guess I'd go with "poignant."

It made me feel a few different things really, though. Definitely one of my favorite endings to a game ever.

Yeah....if i was the main character.... in the end...
I would go backwards an listen to the turrets until i die....god...this song is so wonderful ...my first thought was: "don't cry don't cry don't cry"

the feeling at the end is very strange. They wanted to kill me but...i have the feeling that i never want to leave them alone....i want more :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You should probably still use spoiler tags, eh? Even though you're being vague, just as a courtesy.

[/ spoiler]Like this[/spoiler] except with no space after the slash.

edit: hey thanks :)

Hawkian said:
I know, total lunacy.
i-see-what-you-did-there2.jpg

Botolf said:
Middle of September at the latest. Still technically summer, according to the warlocks over at Valve.
has anything been added since launch? Bought it 50 dollars new, and beat it twice. THen havent touched it since.
Kind of feel a bit cheated.

Sibylus

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
has anything been added since launch? Bought it 50 dollars new, and beat it twice. THen havent touched it since.
Kind of feel a bit cheated.
Patches/bugfixes, a backpack update that added some TF hats.

No content updates yet, but there are at least two DLC packs planned.

teebs33

Neo Member
Just got around to playing this over the course of this week. What a fantastic experience overall, one of my favourite games having completed the single player. Now on to tackling co-op this weekend.

Use of J.K. Simmons as the voice of Cave Johnson made me so happy. The middle portion of the game was probably my favourite part.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, the performance really takes what would be a great storytelling device in any game and makes it a downright memorable work of fiction full-stop.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of these days this thread will be bumped with news of the DLC's imminent release.

teebs33 said:
Use of J.K. Simmons as the voice of Cave Johnson made me so happy. The middle portion of the game was probably my favourite part.

Ditto.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lionel Mandrake said:
Or the last 1/3 of the soundtrack.

That, too. I'm hoping for a longer version of Cara Mia.

Edit: Shit, I was supposed to edit this into my previous post.

AAK

I finally got around to beating this game despite buying it at launch. (damn backlog). They never did explain how Chell go recaptured into Aperture after escaping at the end of the original... or did they?

StuBurns

Banned
AAK said:
I finally got around to beating this game despite buying it at launch. (damn backlog). They never did explain how Chell go recaptured into Aperture after escaping at the end of the original... or did they?
They altered the ending of the original. After she falls to the ground outside, a robot comes and collects her.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
voltron said:
So whens the DLC coming? I want some actual hard challenges.
Summer. US Summer. Which means before September 23rd.

There have been recent patches referencing additions made to preempt the September DLC. So it's coming. Very soon.

cantona222

I beat the game and I'm done with it. not waiting for any DLC.

OP, I wanted to Highlight how creative you were with the Blue/orange portals at the first 2 posts.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So does anybody think the Portal 2 DLC will give the game some sort of replayability boost? Given Valve's talks of games as content providers and the current (assumed) uselessness of Portal 2's hat system (which are now part of the trade system), I'm thinking whatever they have in store will be more than just new puzzles that once you are done with.. you're done with.

Although WHAT that could be with the Portal gameplay evades me.

But as always, In Valve We Trust.

Nessus

Princess Skittles said:
So does anybody think the Portal 2 DLC will give the game some sort of replayability boost? Given Valve's talks of games as content providers and the current (assumed) uselessness of Portal 2's hat system (which are now part of the trade system), I'm thinking whatever they have in store will be more than just new puzzles that once you are done with.. you're done with.

Although WHAT that could be with the Portal gameplay evades me.

But as always, In Valve We Trust.

I really, really think they should make a race mode. 4 players, 2 teams.

The maps would be a known quantity; the goal wouldn't be to solve puzzles, but to speed run through the map as a team in a race against other players.

You'd be able to see the other team through glass, like at the beginning of the co-op campaign, but not interact with them. Could also have certain parts of the race track projected on a huge jumbo tron screen.

You could either give both players portal guns, or, if you wanted to go the extra mile, re-introduce the paint gun, exclusive to this mode. Players would have to co-operate extensively to navigate the track.

If you really wanted to get crazy you could even re-introduce the green paint and allow for walking on walls.

Beyond that, you could even make the tracks partially randomly-generated, constructed out of basic components in different orders, sorta like F-Zero X on N64.

Something like that could have near endless replayability.

Top Bottom