• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

That's what I would intend to do, I'm not trying to live by myself.

Well then that changes things.

Pearl District is the nicest part of town, but expensive. I would also recommend NW 23rd/21st if you can get a place with your own parking and putting up with privileged 20 something white kids. And SW Waterfront is nice too, little bit more quiet but still walking distance to most of downtown.

obin_gam

There we go, ticket bought!

That is, FYI, a swede arrives in on the 13th of July this summer and going home a week later :D So if anyone doesnt have anything better to do sometime that week, I'm all up for whatever you portlandians do :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Interesting charts from Portland Monthly:

qTC05DK.gif

YIChayO.gif

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/n...ing-compares-to-major-u-s-cities-january-2014

Heading down from Seattle next Saturday for Seraveza's Farmhouse and Wild Ale Festival. Can't wait.

What's the best micro brewery you guys have?
Or what are the top three that is essential to try?

In Portland? Upright, The Commons and Breakside. Some people will say Hair of the Dog or Cascade and I wouldn't say they're wrong, but Hair of the Dog has had some serious QA issues lately with carbonation and all of Cascade's sours end up tasting identical to each other with different fruit thrown in.

Other breweries from Oregon (but not Portland) that you should look for on tap around town are Boneyard (Bend) and Barley Browns (Baker City). Best IPAs in the state. Logsdon (Hood River), de Garde (Tillamook) and Ale Apothecary (Bend) are also killing it with farmhouse, wild fermentation and sour beers.

Doombear

Grimm sets up right near our office downtown quite a bit. Just the wardrobe and makeup trailers, food, etc. Always fun to watch.

Portland GAF! Anybody know what bars in town will or will most likely be airing tomorrows big fight?

The ones I have heard about:

Buffalo Wild Wings at their Downtown , Beaverton, and Wood Village locations. The cover will be $20 and a reservation is required. As of yesterday the only place that still had tables that could be reserved was Wood Village. Beaverton and Downtown were down to standing room only.

On Deck Sports Bar at their Broadway location will also be showing the fight. They are charging a cover of $30 and seating will be on a first come first serve basis.

Also Sam's Billiards with a $40 cover. Trio Club on E. Burnside may have some reservations still.

That is all I could find so far.

Beware Beverton, tomorrow morning as well as it is rumored that he will be visiting Nike headquarters. I am on the Beverton/Hillsboro line and I will not be going any further than cornel till at least 3:00pm.

Drifters

Yup I work down off 10th and washington and I basically said... yeah... I'm working remote this week. Nike later today is going to be f'ed... I cannot even imagine how backed up Murray is going to be. :(

Hey, everyone. Moving to Corvallis within the next couple of months, and excited to be so (relatively) close to Portland. Anyone else here at/near OSU?

xxracerxx

What's the reason for the Corvallis move?

I love the town, it is a great place to live. Make sure you own a bike as you can get anywhere in town on one.

What's the reason for the Corvallis move?

I love the town, it is a great place to live. Make sure you own a bike as you can get anywhere in town on one.

Wife got a job at OSU, so we're making the move. Really excited to be closer to the coast. Now to find a place to live in the northern half of town so that our 11 year old can go to the good schools.

xxracerxx

Wife got a job at OSU, so we're making the move. Really excited to be closer to the coast. Now to find a place to live in the northern half of town so that our 11 year old can go to the good schools.

Congrats to your wife!

Yeah, just be prepared for the sticker shock of the Corvallis housing market. A friend is trying to buy a home at the moment and a lot of houses are in the Portland range of prices, which is shocking to me.

xxracerxx

I have to say, Portland is the best. Floated the river today, went to a BBQ, and then finished the evening watching a movie outside with free beer.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Yo what's this Pabst Festival thingy? Is it a yearly event? Is it worth the super pricy admission?

It's a music festival sponsored by PBR out by the old shipyards/OHSU aerial tram. It kicked off for the first time last September and from what I heard it was pretty laid back fun.

Here's the lineup for this year:

SATURDAY, JULY 18
  • Blondie
  • TV on the Radio
  • Run the Jewels
  • Against Me!
  • Thee Oh Sees
  • The Velvet Teen
  • Priory
  • Hustle and Drone
SUNDAY, JULY 19
  • Weezer
  • Passion Pit
  • Buzzcocks
  • The Both (featuring Aimee Mann and Ted Leo)
  • Alvvays
  • Terry and Louie (Terry Six and King Louie Bankston)
  • Wild Ones
  • Wampire

Edit: It's called Project Pabst (projectpabst.com) and runs July 17th - 19th with various smaller concerts associated to it around the city for additional cost.

obin_gam

After looking it up I see that Roky Erickson will be playing that Saturday as well, which is awesome! That lineup though - I have only ever heard of Blondie and Weezer niether of which I listen to, so I'm a bit weary... but drinking beer is usually fun :)

Jesus...the World Naked Bike Ride is this weekend. And there are four other naked rides?!?

MORNING NAKED RIDE
Irving Park, NE 7th Ave and Fargo St, Portland (Meet by the basketball arena)
10:00am - 12:30pm, Roll at 10:15
Start the WNBR day right with a morning naked ride. Or warm jacket and bottomless ride. We'll wander quiet streets, enjoy body acceptance. Bring body paint, caps and warm socks. Bare as you dare. This ride will end at Coe Circle for a picnic lunch before the Sunny Nekid Ride, Fig Leif Ride, and St. Johns Ride. If you add all these up you'll be riding naked all day! Policy of no photos by ride participants.
Ker Nal And Past Tire, bikeportland.org/2011/06/17/police-bureau-releases-statement-on-legality-of-naked-bike-ride-55056

SUNNY NEKKID RIDE

Coe Circle, , 3900 NE Glisan St
1:00pm - 3:30pm, Roll at 1:15
Fun ride in the sun, celebrate body freedom, bring paint for self expression & messages. Clothing optional, smiles recommended. This is the biggest day-time nekid ride. We'll ride past MCBF and through all five quadrants of Portland. Busy streets, quiet streets and paths. Ride ends in NW at the Fig Leif Ride. Policy of no photos by ride participants.
Past Tier And Ker Nal, bikeportland.org/2008/06/16/pedalpalooza-update-police-on-bikes-and-speed-dating-7885

FIG LEIF NAKED RIDE
Forest Park, top of NW Thurman St. (500 yards beyond the entry gate by the Port-a-Potties)
4:00pm - 6:00pm, Roll at 4:15
Ride naked through the forest -- 10K gravel road bike ride on NW Leif Erickson Road. Forest Park is one of Portland' crown jewels. Many square miles of forested hillside, with a web of trails. Leif Erickson Drive is a relatively flat gravel road that runs for miles and miles through beautiful forest. Folks ride it on road bikes, but wider tires are more comfortable. Ride ends at the St. Johns Naked Ride. Cameras are discouraged.
Past Tire And Henry, www.pdxfamilyadventures.com/2008/05/28/leif-erikson-drive

ST JOHN'S NAKED RIDE
Block Bikes PDX LLC, 7238 N Burlington Ave, 7238 N Burlington Ave (We'll move over to the plaza across the street if we run out of sidewalk.)
6:30pm, We'll plan to leave by 6:45pm
We'll ride together to the start of the WNBR from St. Johns. We will take side streets as much as possible and be as nude as desired. We'll ride slowish, but faster than the WNBR. I highly encourage safe cycling...especially when partially nude.
Block Bikes PDX LLC, bikeshopblockbikespdx

CRITICAL MASTECTOMY
WNBR, SE 17 and SE Taylor (Col. Summer Park. Meet at the basketball court - and look for a Critical Mastectomy sign)
8:00pm
A coalition of post-mastectomy riders and their supporters as a part of the WNBR. We'll ride WNBR but convene at the location specified below to meet and support each other as we join the WNBR. Not ready to show your scars? That's ok, just wear a form-fitting shirt or go naked in other ways. Not had a mastectomy but want to support those that have? No problem, you can get creative with body paint, tape, or sharpie with a message or symbol to show your support.
Miss Critical Mastectomy, redravensyahoo

WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE
Col. Summers Park, SE 20th and Belmont (Don't stand in the street!)
9:00pm, meet at 8, ride at 9
The World Naked Bike Ride happens all over the world as a protest encouraging SAFE STREETS, HUMAN-POWER, and BODY POSITIVITY.
Alcohol is not welcome at the meetup point or on the ride.

Meet at 8pm, ride at 9.
Shift, pdxwnbr.org

And if you want to do more than one:

NAKED METRIC CENTURY
Irving Park, NE 7th Ave and Fargo St, Portland (Meet by the basketball arena)
10:00am - 10:00pm, Roll at 10:15
Ride 100 km naked--we'll string together the 4 sunny naked rides and the night ride. Morning Naked, Sunny Nekkid, Fig Leif Naked, St. Johns Naked, and WNBR. Four people completed all 5 rides last year for 64 miles total. Bring body paint and sun hats. Cameras discouraged.
Ker Nal And Past Tire, bikenoob.com/2008/03/16/metric-century

for the record: I am not going anywhere near any of them. I was thinking about volunteering to wrench but I'm going to be busy all weekend.
PRE-WNBR FREE BIKE REPAIR CLINIC
Col. Summers Park, SE 20th and Belmont (Covered Picnic Area)
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Bikes For Humanity PDX volunteers will wrench on bikes as a public service to help World Naked Bike Ride participants roll smoothly and safely.
Why take a chance with a potential breakdown or flat on the year's most popular ride in PDX? We might just help squeeze one more night's cruiz'n out of that poor neglected pile of [#%*!] of yours...
B4HPDX, b4hpdxgmail, b4hpdx.org

brau

Just relocated this week to Portland OR :)

we should do a meetup or something! it would be nice to hangout with you gaffers.

obin_gam

Just relocated this week to Portland OR :)

we should do a meetup or something! it would be nice to hangout with you gaffers.

Hey I'm definitely up for a meeting! I'm visiting Portland between the 13th and 20th July so sometime that week would at least fit me :)

Just arrived in Portland today (with the girlfriend) for a mini vacation.

Tried out the whole sour beer thing, turns out I dig it. Planning on hitting Ground Control tomorrow- does it live up to the hype?

Any other recommendations?

Tried out the whole sour beer thing, turns out I dig it. Planning on hitting Ground Control tomorrow- does it live up to the hype?

Hit Voodoo if you really like donuts and waiting in line :p

First off welcome and enjoy Whoompthereitis! Secondly, I'd recommend Blue Star over Voodoo if donuts is your thing. I'd suggest Salt & Straw for ice cream, but I bet the lines are ridiculous with this warm summer weather we're having. Ground Control is definitely worth the hype if you're looking for a great classic arcade. I believe tomorrow is Metal Monday so wear a heavy metal shirt if you got one for drink discounts. Check out Pine State Biscuits for breakfast too.

Some food options that I like:

Byways 1212 NW Glisan St, cross street of NW 12 Ave, Favorite place for breakfast

Tilt 1355 NW Everett St, cross street of NW 13 Ave, Get the bacon jalapeno tater tots (they're not those tiny things you had in elementary school lunches)

Pho Hung, 3120 SE 82 Ave, between Division and Powell, Best Vietnamese/pho place in Portland

Kenny's Noodle House, 8305 SE Powell Blvd, just east of 82nd on the north side of Powell--slightly tucked out of view, Favorite Cantonese joint--my favorite is the beef brisket but any of the congee is dope as well. Across the street is Best Baguette, which is like Vietnamese French sandwiches and is also awesome.

Fire on the Mountain, 1708 E Burnside, cross of SE 17 Ave, Hot wings

First off welcome and enjoy Whoompthereitis! Secondly, I'd recommend Blue Star over Voodoo if donuts is your thing. I'd suggest Salt & Straw for ice cream, but I bet the lines are ridiculous with this warm summer weather we're having. Ground Control is definitely worth the hype if you're looking for a great classic arcade. I believe tomorrow is Metal Monday so wear a heavy metal shirt if you got one for drink discounts. Check out Pine State Biscuits for breakfast too.

Heavy Metal Monday? Does that mean they'll be playing heavy metal music? Damn, might have to wait until Tuesday to go, not a metal guy at all. Any chance they have funk/soul Tuesday?

Anyways, thanks for all the tips guys! Not sure if I'm gonna do the Voodoo Donut thing, we'll see. Definitely gonna take the girlfriend to Powell's Books today.

This is my second time in the city, her first.

Heavy Metal Monday? Does that mean they'll be playing heavy metal music? Damn, might have to wait until Tuesday to go, not a metal guy at all. Any chance they have funk/soul Tuesday?

Anyways, thanks for all the tips guys! Not sure if I'm gonna do the Voodoo Donut thing, we'll see. Definitely gonna take the girlfriend to Powell's Books today.

I think all the heavy metal music starts up at 7pm, so if you go earlier you should be fine. No funk/soul Tuesday or any theme for that matter and on Wednesday they go electronic after 9pm. With Independence Day this upcoming weekend there should be a lot of events all around town this week. If you want some funk/soul the Blue Festival starting up July 2nd might be something to check out.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

Tuesday nights at Ground Kontrol is pub trivia. I enjoy it, but be warned, the bar section is crowded after 8. (Although, if you like trivia, then... hey, trivia! Also I'll be there tomorrow if you actually want to meet a Gaffer.)

What's the deal with the Living Room movie theatre? There's a hip hop documentary playing there tonight. Says they have booze and food there- anyone tried the food?

Gonna go to Ground Kontrol in a bit- figure I can hang out for an hour or two before the metal starts.

By the way, really digging the sour beer here.

obin_gam

That would work.

Lets get more people interested and see what we can plan.

Depending on how many people are interested I have two ideas, either we could book a table somewhere and eat and drink, or organize a picnic somewhere. I have no idea where good parks are for picnics though, neither do I know fairly priced restaurants hehe. A BBQ would also work - if someone knows a place to BBQ at...

Top Bottom