• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Doombear

Sad day....Matador on W. Burnside is closing down.

This was my local for more than 7 years. I will miss this place, even though I complained when they cleaned up the joint.

West Burnside Mainstay the Matador Is Closing After Over 40 Years

Ha, I shared your complaining after the clean up. It was where my lady and I spent many many of our early first dates. Just wasn't quite the same after it brightened up. I will still miss it though, as it's a big part of our history. =(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ha, I shared your complaining after the clean up. It was where my lady and I spent many many of our early first dates. Just wasn't quite the same after it brightened up. I will still miss it though, as it's a big part of our history. =(

God, I miss the stalls in the men's room being kicked in constantly. Also, they had the best urinals (these are huge).

5q9YCMu.jpg

Is a $40,000 salary okay there?

depends what your needs are

If you're single and you want to live in the city and not in a suburb you'll be stretching things thin. If you live with other people or a significant other you should be fine as long as you stick to a budget and plan your meals well. Housing prices are only going up as the city grows but it's not that bad for what you get.

Fenrisulvur

Neo Member
Portland-Gaf, which Salt and Straw location is the best? GF and I are heading down there this weekend from Vancouver, Canada.

I work at Bollywood Theater and so am in frequent walking distance between the Alberta and Division locations and I can easily say that pretty much every Salt & Straw location is interchangeable with each other. The only difference between any of the locations is the line length.

I work at Bollywood Theater and so am in frequent walking distance between the Alberta and Division locations and I can easily say that pretty much every Salt & Straw location is interchangeable with each other. The only difference between any of the locations is the line length.

you got an inside hookup on them kati rolls?

Fenrisulvur

Neo Member
Bollywood Theater's kati rolls are amazing. Almost went today but I need to watch my calories until tomorrow :p

They are awesome indeed! The best version of the kati roll though sadly isn't on the menu which is the Pork Vindaloo Kati roll with dahl & rice wrapped Burrito style. So delicious. Lately though I've become addicted to the chicken curry for my shift meal as ever since we dropped shredded chicken in favor of just bone-in chicken thigh it is a million times better. Also adding ginger syrup to a mexican coke is the best drink ever.

Fenrisulvur

Neo Member
I'm gonna need to try that

It's amazing and one of the highlights of my day whenever I go to work and get to fix myself a soda with some of the syrup in it! Doing the commissary runs daily with a ginger lime coke and OPB on the radio makes it a glorious daily retreat that I can't believe i'm getting paid to do! On another note, has anyone been to Tilt? Me and my girlfriend tried to go Sunday but they were closed and so I have to ask before I try again, how does it compare to say Killer Burger? Lastly, Ha & VL, I've gone twice and each time it has been extremely underwhelming ( Bun Bo Hue is a million times better imo ) but everyone at work keeps heaping prize upon it, especially the turmeric noodle pho as well as the snail pho. Are those two items really that good?

Doombear

On another note, has anyone been to Tilt?

I had been to their Overlook location a handful of times, and the place next to Aveda once. Given a choice I personally prefer Killer Burger, but Tilt is very very good and just a little ... different? It has plenty more to offer too. Obviously more than just burgers, their breakfast sandwiches are amazing and I think they could give Pine State a decent run on a few items. You won't leave hungry that is for sure. Pretty silly portions. Tots are great. I still haven't had anywhere near the room to try their pies...

Its worth it for sure, but I need that peanut butter pickle bacon, and Killer's fries are at the top of my list too.

I have a question myself since we are talking about Vietnamese food too. Anyone know of a place that has great Bun Salad? Tofu is a bonus. I used to get it all the time at Luc Lac downtown but when our office moved farther North, well I don't make it over there as much now. Thought I'd ask.

Also the two places you just posted, Fenrisulvur, weren't on my list but they are now. I usually get my Banh Mi from An Xuyen on SE Foster. Cheap as hell, and delicious (I usually get the pulled pork or the lemongrass) and the rest of their bakery items are excellent too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
depends what your needs are

If you're single and you want to live in the city and not in a suburb you'll be stretching things thin. If you live with other people or a significant other you should be fine as long as you stick to a budget and plan your meals well. Housing prices are only going up as the city grows but it's not that bad for what you get.
I've never made more than $18,000 a year, lol. I also like living with housemates, though, and have never paid more than $375 a month for rent.

I've never made more than $18,000 a year, lol. I also like living with housemates, though, and have never paid more than $375 a month for rent.

You must be living in 300 square feet or in a house of like 5 people.

If you share a room you can easily pull off $400 month rent, but say bye bye to personal space.

Fenrisulvur

Neo Member
I had been to their Overlook location a handful of times, and the place next to Aveda once. Given a choice I personally prefer Killer Burger, but Tilt is very very good and just a little ... different? It has plenty more to offer too. Obviously more than just burgers, their breakfast sandwiches are amazing and I think they could give Pine State a decent run on a few items. You won't leave hungry that is for sure. Pretty silly portions. Tots are great. I still haven't had anywhere near the room to try their pies...

Its worth it for sure, but I need that peanut butter pickle bacon, and Killer's fries are at the top of my list too.

I have a question myself since we are talking about Vietnamese food too. Anyone know of a place that has great Bun Salad? Tofu is a bonus. I used to get it all the time at Luc Lac downtown but when our office moved farther North, well I don't make it over there as much now. Thought I'd ask.

Also the two places you just posted, Fenrisulvur, weren't on my list but they are now. I usually get my Banh Mi from An Xuyen on SE Foster. Cheap as hell, and delicious (I usually get the pulled pork or the lemongrass) and the rest of their bakery items are excellent too.

Yeah that was the general consensus I have gotten from work as well that in terms of burger & fries, Killer burger >>>> Tilt. Plus Killer Burger crazy hour is the best deal ever. I've been to An Xuyen a few times and their Banh Mi is awesome although I tend to favor Best Baguette out of sheer laziness due to the convenience of the drive-thru.

If you do get the chance, definitely hit up Bun Bo Hue. One of the Seediest looking joints you can find on 82nd but goddamn is the namesake dish amazing albeit it is only for the adventurous as it contains Blood cubes and pork bone with marrow but god it is amazing. Outside of Bun Bo Hue, my other go-to joint for Vietnamese food has been Pho Hung. Cheap and it is consistently good. My girlfriend keeps raving about wanting to go to Luc Lac but I'm hesitant due to the lines and the fact I hate downtown. Is it worth braving the lines for?

On another note, anyone here fans of pop-up dinners? We recently splurged to go to LangBaan which is the pop-up joint by the owner of Paadee and goddamn it was amazing. It was times like these that I wished I lived in the City back when Family supper was going on. Lastly, Simpatica; has anyone been? if so, would you recommend dinner or brunch service there? We have a 50 dollar merc perk for there but are trying to figure out whether their brunch service is the way to go ( I personally am not a brunch fan but the girlfriend is ) or is the dinner service the way to go and if so what chef kicks ass the most?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You must be living in 300 square feet or in a house of like 5 people.

If you share a room you can easily pull off $400 month rent, but say bye bye to personal space.
Nah, I've never shared a room before. But yeah, I've never lived with fewer than three other people, with ten people being the most I've ever lived with. I'm a total introvert, but I love living with people and the built-in social life it offers. My housemates are always bringing new friends by, too, so it's a cool way to meet new people. I have three housemates right now and I pay $325 for a huge room, plus like $50 - $100 per month in utilities. And we even share some food expenses.

It's not for everyone, but I love having housemates. I don't see myself ever living alone.

FyreWulff

Food adventures so far in Portland

Bollywood Theater - tried the kati roll. Delicious. Was the first indian food place I've been to with meat anywhere on the menu (all the others have been vegetarian). Cool interior.

Dar Salam - some realllll good Iraqi food. Service was quick and tons of food for little money. I had the chicken shawarma, first time I've had it, and it was really good. And filling. This place is usually packed so they must be doing something good. I lucked out and managed to come by while they were empty, but the crowd started showing up soon after we got there.

Pine State Biscuits - heart stopping southern food. Best chicken I've had in a long time. For how much they charge for beverages they could stand to use bigger glasses. I was almost killed by one of their drink valves popping off and flying over the counter
I was never in danger, but it was hilarious
. Also a hash browns 'side' is a whole goddamn plate. Jesus. I am now realizing a bunch of places back home are just stingy..

Chiangmai Thai - bit expensive. I had the Gang Om with sticky rice. I ordered it hot, my friend ordered it mild, and it tasted like they made both of ours mild. That part was a bit of a letdown, but this has been a trend at a few places I've noticed where I'll try to order something hot and they don't actually do it. Their crunchy spring rolls were tasty. Their thai iced tea is the best tea I've had so far in this city. Some of the places I've been to, their "house tea" tastes like Luisianne.

TarBoush Lebanese Bistro - Had their huge salad (i forgot specifically which one, this was a month ago). Big drinks, so much on the plate we all had to get a box to go home with. We had a bit of trouble flagging down the waiter on a slow day so that was weird.

UCHU Sushi - AQUARIUMS, MAN. Came in during happy hour. Really good and tasty. Tea wasn't much to write home about. They took forever to get my friend's order out to her, and by the time they did the waiter said she took it off the bill for taking so long, so that was cool of them. I've had a lot of experience with places going "deal with it". They also had the heaviest jalapeno poppers I've ever seen, which nerfed the heat a lot.

Oh, and I tried (forgot the name) Korean fusion from a food truck. Got steak n' cheese with kimchi. Fuck. That was good.

Someone give me suggestions for a place with spicy food and doesn't assume I don't know how to handle spice

Doombear

Chiangmai Thai - bit expensive. I had the Gang Om with sticky rice. I ordered it hot, my friend ordered it mild, and it tasted like they made both of ours mild. That part was a bit of a letdown, but this has been a trend at a few places I've noticed where I'll try to order something hot and they don't actually do it. Their crunchy spring rolls were tasty. Their thai iced tea is the best tea I've had so far in this city. Some of the places I've been to, their "house tea" tastes like Luisianne.

Someone give me suggestions for a place with spicy food and doesn't assume I don't know how to handle spice

Goddamn it I love Chiang Mai. I love it. My favorite with PaaDee very nearly tieing it but just a bit less affordable (if I remember right). Oddly, I remember a few dishes there being plenty spicy (Kao Soi w/ sticky rice is my go to every time). I wonder if they just screwed up your order as far as spice goes.

I generally don't go for ridiculous spice much these days, so I can't really help much there. I am sure others can though.

Any idea what Korean fusion truck it was (or where might narrow it down). I am a fan of KOI and also grab a spicy (not really) pork burrito at Korean Twist downtown at least once a month. So good. Finally decided to make my own gochujang sauce at home and can't stop putting it on basically everything. Gochujang + kewpie mayo + a tiny bit of rice vinegar... everything.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Bollywood Theater - tried the kati roll. Delicious. Was the first indian food place I've been to with meat anywhere on the menu (all the others have been vegetarian). Cool interior.

Dar Salam - some realllll good Iraqi food. Service was quick and tons of food for little money. I had the chicken shawarma, first time I've had it, and it was really good. And filling. This place is usually packed so they must be doing something good. I lucked out and managed to come by while they were empty, but the crowd started showing up soon after we got there.

Pine State Biscuits - heart stopping southern food. Best chicken I've had in a long time. For how much they charge for beverages they could stand to use bigger glasses. I was almost killed by one of their drink valves popping off and flying over the counter
I was never in danger, but it was hilarious
. Also a hash browns 'side' is a whole goddamn plate. Jesus. I am now realizing a bunch of places back home are just stingy..

TarBoush Lebanese Bistro - Had their huge salad (i forgot specifically which one, this was a month ago). Big drinks, so much on the plate we all had to get a box to go home with. We had a bit of trouble flagging down the waiter on a slow day so that was weird.

UCHU Sushi - AQUARIUMS, MAN. Came in during happy hour. Really good and tasty. Tea wasn't much to write home about. They took forever to get my friend's order out to her, and by the time they did the waiter said she took it off the bill for taking so long, so that was cool of them. I've had a lot of experience with places going "deal with it". They also had the heaviest jalapeno poppers I've ever seen, which nerfed the heat a lot.

Oh, and I tried (forgot the name) Korean fusion from a food truck. Got steak n' cheese with kimchi. Fuck. That was good.

Dang dude, you should write for the Willamette Week, lol. I'm practically salivating.

So is that why Williams was closed to cross traffic? They could have had a better police presence. Or even better police. They just stood there and told people they couldn't cross. Wouldn't let them turn onto Williams, wouldn't let them cross, just made them sit there. It was insane. I'm just glad I was biking home because that would have been terrible to sit through.

Sumidor

Anyone live in NW? I'm looking for a new place to live, right now I'm in the Pearl, but i'm looking to cut back on my expenses. I'm looking to stay in NW, so that I can still walk to work and right now i'm spending around 1500 on rent, and hoping to find something around 1000. The most important things to me are, a 1 bedroom and a washer dryer in the unit.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Anyone live in NW? I'm looking for a new place to live, right now I'm in the Pearl, but i'm looking to cut back on my expenses. I'm looking to stay in NW, so that I can still walk to work and right now i'm spending around 1500 on rent, and hoping to find something around 1000. The most important things to me are, a 1 bedroom and a washer dryer in the unit.

I'm actually moving into the Pearl (ish) this weekend, from NW. But I didn't spot anything in the NW neighborhood sub-$1k with a washer/dryer. Barely spotted anything sub-$1k, full stop. For 1 bed and w/d, best I've seen was about $1300.

Good luck. Where are you working? West of 23rd you might find something but that's not even remotely the Pearl anymore or even close to Downtown.

Sumidor

Good luck. Where are you working? West of 23rd you might find something but that's not even remotely the Pearl anymore or even close to Downtown.
I bartend at silk which is on 10th and glisan. I think I could survive without having a "bedroom" as long as it's not a tiny place. The washer and dryer is what I care about the most. I guess if I don't find anything I'll just buy the bullet and stay where i am. Or maybe start looking for roommates.

After a 2 year stint in SLC and SF I'm back living in PDX metro. Where the heck did all the darn cars and traffic come from? Its an hour commute to/from Beaverton to Tualatin now (both on highway and back roads) when it used to be a smooth 28 minute drive. I'm guessing its ok to blame it on all the transplants who made their way over after watching Portlandia, reading a travel mag or reading this thread.

Cat Party

After a 2 year stint in SLC and SF I'm back living in PDX metro. Where the heck did all the darn cars and traffic come from? Its an hour commute to/from Beaverton to Tualatin now (both on highway and back roads) when it used to be a smooth 28 minute drive. I'm guessing its ok to blame it on all the transplants who made their way over after watching Portlandia, reading a travel mag or reading this thread.

Traffic the last few weeks has been insane all over. We had such a nice summer and first half of October everyone forgot how to drive in the rain moreso than normal.

Socreges

Banned
According to census data Portland's population growth has slowed since Portlandia came on the air, and since you left.

Doombear

What areas are still down today? Yay wind! I am downtown and haven't noticed anything drop in our building but am hearing that traffic lights at Powell & Milwaukie are out and I don't seem to have internet service at home (but everything else is working... wtf).

TRAFFIC BLOWS.

Took an hour to go three miles, got off I-5 and went to Breakside. Cool neighborhood over there.

Back on I-5 trying to get home to Seattle.

GhaleonEB

So my wife and I are thinking of taking the kids to some kind of live show this year for Christmas, and dialing down the presents a bit. Over the past few years we've put more emphasis on experiences over stuff, and it's been a lot more fun. We saw Cavalia when it came through a year or two ago, as well as the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

Problem is we're not sure where to look up the schedule for shows like that; the only arena we know to look for is the Moda Center / Rose Quarter. I know there are others but I I'm not sure how to find them (my google-fu is weak today).

Any suggestions?

Cat Party

So my wife and I are thinking of taking the kids to some kind of live show this year for Christmas, and dialing down the presents a bit. Over the past few years we've put more emphasis on experiences over stuff, and it's been a lot more fun. We saw Cavalia when it came through a year or two ago, as well as the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

Problem is we're not sure where to look up the schedule for shows like that; the only arena we know to look for is the Moda Center / Rose Quarter. I know there are others but I I'm not sure how to find them (my google-fu is weak today).

Any suggestions?
Check portland-theater.com

Also, look at the schedules for the Keller Auditorium, the Arlene Schnitzer concert hall, and Portland Center Stage.

MikeDown

Banned
ehhhy Portland GAF, I'm taking the train up this Saturday, can anyone recommend some good breakfast establishments close to Union Station? Something that serves a full meal, not really any of those coffee shops

Doombear

ehhhy Portland GAF, I'm taking the train up this Saturday, can anyone recommend some good breakfast establishments close to Union Station? Something that serves a full meal, not really any of those coffee shops

Morning Mike! Hmm, there are indeed a buttload of coffee shops, a great bagel joint, and smaller places near there so finding one that has more of a full breakfast is not as easy. I would say check out Byways Cafe as it is a straight shot up Glisan from the train station. Check out the site, linked, and see if that is what you are looking for. There is also Fullers (9th and Davis), old school diner style, wrap around bar. It is pretty full most mornings and really... not super crazy special.

xxracerxx

If you want one of the best greasy spoon joints in town and love old school diners, check out Fuller's.

It is mere blocks away from the train station and do not let the title coffee shop throw you off, this is how cool it is inside:

9W76GcC.jpg

But if you want the best bagels in the city, there is also Bowery Bagels down Broadway.

There is also Fullers (9th and Davis), old school diner style, wrap around bar. It is pretty full most mornings and really... not super crazy special.

How dare you! Byways is way to Guy Fieri for me.

Doombear

If you want one of the best greasy spoon joints in town and love old school diners, check out Fuller's.

It is mere blocks away from the train station and do not let the title coffee shop throw you off, this is how cool it is inside:

9W76GcC.jpg

But if you want the best bagels in the city, there is also Bowery Bagels down Broadway.

How dare you! Byways is way to Guy Fieri for me.

Haha! Ok ok, I just knew that would get a reaction. I didn't think it would be so quick. Fuller's is a staple, if you want no nonsense breakfast food. Fuller's is where you need to go.

I will admit, I have never been to Byways. I have been to Fullers about 67 times. Byways looks to be going after a different crowd for sure. Breakfast, the never ending Portland discussion topic. =)

xxracerxx

Haha! Ok ok, I just knew that would get a reaction. I didn't think it would be so quick. Fuller's is a staple, if you want no nonsense breakfast food. Fuller's is where you need to go.

I will admit, I have never been to Byways. I have been to Fullers about 67 times. Byways looks to be going after a different crowd for sure. Breakfast, the never ending Portland discussion topic. =)

Ha! If he had the time and vehicle I would tell him to go to Helser's off Alberta and get a scotch egg. But alas, being close to the station limits breakfast greatly.

Top Bottom