• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Top 5 Anime OPs (Hard Mode - One per Franchise)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1 - Mizu No Hoshu e Ai o Komete - Zeta Gundam Op 2

2 - Honoo no Sadame - VOTOMS

3 - Resurrection of the Ideon - Ideon

4 - Lupin the 3rd Series 4 OP

5 - Dr. Slump Theme

Honorable mentions to Makafushigi Adventure, Masaze Pokemon Master and Macross.

Bonus 6th option: Dai no Daibouken

Will have to think on my picks, but I watched Zeta for the first time recently and yes, OP #2 hits hard. Char’s sinister internal thoughts, Kamille thumbs up without smiling, Four Murasame floating through the air, that entire ‘80s aesthetic. Good choice.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Will have to think on my picks, but I watched Zeta for the first time recently and yes, OP #2 hits hard. Char’s sinister internal thoughts, Kamille thumbs up without smiling, Four Murasame floating through the air, that entire ‘80s aesthetic. Good choice.
When i first watched the franchise, Op 2 was I think a turning point for me. Its such a mood, isnt it? Absolutely perfect.

The singer, Hiroko Moriguchi, has an updated version from ablut 10 years ago and its even better.

I agree with almost all of the picks above but don't want to just regurgitate the same videos, so I'll post some other openings I recall that left long lasting impressions, regardless of show quality:

This last one is kind of cheating, but they would use the show's opening in the show once a battle started to turn in the favor of the protagonist:

I'd argue the way they used song and how it builds during a battle comes very close to 'You Say Run' from My Hero Academia. The song felt earned because battles were gruelingly long in Black Clover.

Apologies to OP but I needed more than 5. Too much good stuff out there. On a side note I could have easily made my post a bunch of Bleach openings. They really knew how to pick the right songs.

Last edited:

ssringo

Thought 5 would be difficult when most of the ones that came to mind were already posted. Then I dug through my aging memories and it was surprisingly easy. After I looked into my quite old collection of VHS and early DVDs.

Trigun

Slayers

Gokudo (seriously underrated comedy)

Martian Successor Nadesico

Initial D (everything was great imo)

Rurouni Kenshin (nice fakeout on what the series was like after watching Samurai X)

Some pretty good picks here. I'll add some of my own. I love me some mecha but EviLore beat me to Escaflowne already so...

What /m/an will not have HEATS as one of their picks? Some will say it's overused but I don't care.

Honestly pretty hard to pick a single Mazinger OP but I'll go with this one. Will forever be pissed that there's was no Great Hen.

I think it was impossible to avoid Gurren Lagann during it's heyday. Liked all the various versions of the OP as the series progressed.

I love how Union's official music video is actually the epilogue of the series.

Slam Dunk is an outlier and is pretty much the only sports anime I ever liked. Don't even mention Kuroko no Basuke near me.

And as an extra, here's the most beautiful anime ED. Saji's and Louise's jackets gets me everytime.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Again aside from the classics (Cowboy, Lain, etc..) I've found a few that I can add to the list:

Vinland Saga

Fire Force OP 2 (Probably one of my favorites from the new crop)

I'll add more later, haven't slept!

Edit: Oh and this one for the song alone:

Last edited:
a little more than than 5 with TANK! already posted by someone else. but it's warrant posting again.

Cowboy Bebop, TANK!

Ghost In The Shell 1995, Making Of Cyborg

Dragon Ball, Makafushigi Adventure

Gold Lightan

Code Geass, COLORS

Sakura Wars, Geki! Teikoku Kagekiden

Denpa Onna To Seishun Otoko, Uchujin

bonus. not really OPs but these might as well be.

Akira, Kaneda

FLCL, Ride On Shooting Star

Macross, Do You Remember Love

Last edited:

Pejo

Edit: Oh and this one for the song alone:

Hahaha
Warning Anthony Anderson GIF by HULU

You're right though, great song.

A few of mine that I haven't already seen mentioned, but let's face it, Bebop is the best.

Also one of my favorite ending themes:

-Minsc-

I won't say they are my favorite, but I have to give the InuYasha openings (and endings) an honourable mention. In the era where opening and ending credits were altered or completely changed for English broadcast, InuYasha was the first televised dub I watched where all the credits were left intact.

Last edited:
I always skip the OP and go right into the plot 👀
In today’s streaming world I do the same but I’ll give each unique opening a good first time playthrough just to see if I like it.

On a side note, I can’t believe Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure slipped my mind earlier when making my first post. I’ll just post a few of my favorite openings from the series:

I would add Roundabout but unfortunately it is only an ending song.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
In today’s streaming world I do the same but I’ll give each unique opening a good first time playthrough just to see if I like it.

On a side note, I can’t believe Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure slipped my mind earlier when making my first post. I’ll just post a few of my favorite openings from the series:

I would add Roundabout but unfortunately it is only an ending song.

I just wish there was a skip opening intro song option

Truthfully there's only been a couple of OPs that I actually enjoyed 😉

I just wish there was a skip opening intro song option 😉
There is...at least for Netflix, Hulu, Max, and recently Crunchyroll. Though Crunchyroll's skip function is inconsistent and they tend to do a bad job of adding it to certain content. This is one of the many reasons why I preferred Funimation to Crunchyroll, but the people voted (with their money) for the faster, sloppier site.

Kurimao

Official Music Videos for me. Only true otakus will know what's what.

GOAT!

Ninjutsu!

Speed & love.

Addrenalin pumpin.

For chillin.

Valonquar

DNA² OP

Gantz OP

Hakkenden OP (old one but I always did like it)

Fushigi Yugi OP

Rose of Versailles OP

Kimagure Orange Road OP1

Beat to the punch on a few bangers like Last Exile & Escaflowne.

Last edited:

Fbh

In no particular order.

Saint Seiya Opening 1:

Just a classic. I know Saint Seiya wasn't that popular in the states and much of Europe, but in many Latin America countries it was almost as big as Dragon Ball for a while.
(also I'm just going to say it, S. Seiya Omega was ugly as sin and not particularly good. But the remake of the song was pretty good)

Death Parade:

It's mostly the song, but I like the visuals too

OG FMA Opening 3:

One of the first Japanese songs I remember putting on my Mp3 playlist lol. While Brotherhood is the better adaptation and story, I've always like the music (both OST and openings) as well as the visuals of the OG anime way more

JOJO Opening 4

Cool song, visually stylish and I love when they added the "The World" bit towards the end. I also like that's it's basically a teamup of the lead singers from all 3 previous openings, I don't really remember any other show doing this

Attack On Titan

Generic choice but I don't care. It's good

Bonus since it's an ending:
Hungry Heart/Wild Striker Ending 1

For some reason I've really liked this song since I was a kid

Last edited:

Hudo

GOAT OP, even though "Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel" is grammatically really incorrect. I am not even sure what they wanted to say with "Kosmosinsel" since that also doesn't make sense. "Heldensagen aus dem Kosmos" would be correct. But anyway:

Edit: Actually, I think with Kosmosinsel (Cosmos island) they mean the disk-shaped galaxy. But then it should be "Heldensagen von der Kosmosinsel".

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My picks

Runner up:

Top Bottom