• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR] - "Metal Slug 3" Arrives on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday

GhaleonEB

Official GAF thread is this way.
Announcement PR:

The fourth title in the “Metal Slug” series joins the Xbox LIVE Arcade library as “Metal Slug 3” arrives this Wednesday, January 2 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PST).

An update of the original arcade version, "Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE. “Metal Slug 3” provides gamers with various route selections within each stage enabling players to play over and over. Join Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, the four veterans in the “Metal Slug” series, as they hit the battlefield to stop General Morden from disturbing the order and peace that has begun to return to the world. Throughout the game, various vehicles called “Slugs” are made available to help players in battle and to complete the mission. The game features co-op gameplay for up to two players over Xbox LIVE. Developed by SNK Playmore, “Metal Slug 3” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

Might have to check this out. I like the genre but never played any of the Metal Slug games.

Edit: here's the xbox.com page

GhaleonEB said:
some random screens from the FTP site:
xdk006-image_2.jpg

xdk006-image_13.jpg

xdk006-image_10.jpg

xdk006-image66.jpg

xdk006-image61.jpg

xdk006-image43.jpg

xdk006-image24.jpg

xdk006-image7.jpg

xdk006-image4.jpg

xdk006-image2.jpg

xdk006-image_19.jpg

Jonnyram

Man, 800 pts is a bit steep for this considering:
1) Metal Slug Complete on PSP and Wii featuring 7 games for a decent price
2) It's a classic and classics are usually 400

Sigh.

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Is Metal Slug 3 really the fourth game in the series, or is that a typo?
Yep. MS1 -> MS2 -> MSX -> MS3

Who's doing the port btw? That probably decides if I buy it or not... how did FF Special turn out anyway?

supercake

No point in getting it since I've already got it for Xbox. (Don't know if it's BC though?)

Anyway, I'm not double dipping for it. I will do that for Rez though.

stuminus3

"Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE.
Wait... does this mean the art has been completely redrawn at a higher resolution in a proper widescreen format (like the rather awesome Alien Hominid HD), or does it just mean they've stuck the game in a little filtered window in the middle of the screen with a "high definition" picture on the background and the occasional crappy special effect drawn over the old graphics (like most other arcade ports on XBLA)?

GhaleonEB

jarrod said:
Yep. MS1 -> MS2 -> MSX -> MS3

Who's doing the port btw? That probably decides if I buy it or not... how did FF Special turn out anyway?
Ah, thanks. That sentence read funny, and I didn't know about MSX.

The developer is listed as SNK Playmore both in the PR and on the Xbox.com page.

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The developer is listed as SNK Playmore both in the PR and on the Xbox.com page.
Yeah, they did the same for FFS XBLA... even though it was really outsourced to Mineloader Software. I doubt SNKP is doing any of the Anthology Collections or download reissues inhouse honestly... I just hope it's not a cheapo western studio Digital Eclipse or Terminal Reality. :/

test_account

XP-39C²
svenuce said:
Anyone else find the Metal Slug series "impossibly hard"?

As Metalmurphy said, just add alot of quarters/credits hehe ;) But to beat this game with only 2-3 credits, that would probly be near impossible for me. So that way its pretty hard ye.

Xater

svenuce said:
Anyone else find the Metal Slug series "impossibly hard"?

I am playing Contra 4 atm and I think that harder as some Metal Slug titles. Sometimes I wish I had a melee attack in Contra. :lol

When the port is good I will buy MS3 asap.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dark FaZe said:
VERY interested. Wtf @ 800 points though.
Considering it had an Xbox retail release, they could have easily made it a $15 Xbox Original, with no online play or achievements.

stuminus3 said:
Wait... does this mean the art has been completely redrawn at a higher resolution in a proper widescreen format (like the rather awesome Alien Hominid HD), or does it just mean they've stuck the game in a little filtered window in the middle of the screen with a "high definition" picture on the background and the occasional crappy special effect drawn over the old graphics (like most other arcade ports on XBLA)?
We haven't seen any screenshots of it yet, but chances are it'll be a filter and whatnot (like most XBLA ports of retro games).

jarrod

Banned
MicVlaD said:
We haven't seen any screenshots of it yet, but chances are it'll be a filter and whatnot (like most XBLA ports of retro games).
How was FFS XBLA? Anyone play it... that might be a good indicator?

I'm buying this one right away.

I hope this is the definitive version. Hopefully, this is an updated version of the enhanced Xbox Metal Slug 3. I want all the extras I can get. :D

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
jarrod said:
How was FFS XBLA? Anyone play it... that might be a good indicator?

It was pretty ugly. I never bought the full version, so I'm not sure of all of the options, but I think you needed to play with either a border (no solid black), or it moved the screen over to the left and stuck an arcade-style movelist on the right.

I'm not an emulation perfectionist and I didn't sink much time in it, but the actual quality of game seemed alright, ugly filter nonwithstanding.

2DMention

Banned
FFS special is ok on live, but it's a game that hasn't aged very well.

I bought Metal Slug 3 for Neo Geo when it originally came out in 2000, and it is widely regarded as the favorite Metal Slug. I don't think I'm going to re-buy it just for online co-op. There's never many people playing other classic game on co-op, and when they do, they always drop.

robot

Great timing - Im about to sell off most of my MVS collection and this was one of the more difficult ones to let go of.

And 800 points isn't too bad considering how much the original goes for. Plus your getting online co-op - but a 4 player feature would've been a really cool bonus.

Duress

Does this have unlimited continues? I could of sworn it did when I played it. if it does they seriously need to remove it, in my opinion.

GhaleonEB

MicVlaD said:

There are some up on the xbox.com page. Interestingly, that pages lists the graphics as "The classic graphics are faithfully reproduced for your gaming enjoyment."

You be the judge (grabbed some random ones from the FTP site):

*pics moved to OP*

robot

Jimmy Stav said:
Would anyone say this game is better to play with an arcade stick?

Definitely - thats what I played the original on and plan on playing this one with. I bet you'll get mixed opinions though.

Evander

"industry expert"
Duress said:
Does this have unlimited continues? I could of sworn it did when I played it. if it does they seriously need to remove it, in my opinion.

you don't have enough willpower not to use it, or you are opposed to other people having fun?

Duress said:

Some of us are actually capable of resisting the urge to credit-feed. Better to have unlimited continues than to put out the people who aren't very good at these games but still manage to have fun with them(like me!)

Top Bottom