• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prevention/Cure for motion sickness caused by games

Gibbo

Katamari Damacy is the latest game that I have to give up on because I get sick playing it after 10 minutes. Metriod and Call of Duty are Two other great games (among others) that have fallen victim to my useless resistance against motion sickness. Would like to know if anyone who had this problem before and managed to overcome it and how.

Back in the early Doom and Descent days, I'd get various degrees of motion sickness but I forced myself to continually play until I eventually got over it. I'm not recommending anyone else do this though. At your own risk...and all that jazz.

Deg

Banned
I had some motion sickness but mainly in the mazey fps games which were very common in the past(doom, quake, turok etc.). The last time i had problems was in Halo's indoor stuff and MP's start bit. The recent pc shooters have been much better. Far Cry for example.

marsomega

I was just getting owned by motion sickness yesterday playing the Painkiller demo. I enjoy the physics and bodies flying when you stake them. But after a good 15 minutes into it, I started getting that woozy dizzy feeling. I quit for a while, and waited ten minutes. Went to Painkiller demo 2 and within five minutes I was in front of the toilet gagging and then laying down on my bed with an insane dizzy spell.

It happens to me with painkiller. Funny thing is, in Metroid made me little woozy and a little sweaty after about an hour the earlier parts. However, it went away completely as I got so into the game. Specifically, when I started to have a perception of the environment as I moved around, was when it went away completely for the rest of the game.

Games like quake 3, unreal tournament, doom3 (meh, this one shouldn't count) it doesn't happen. However, one that gave it to me was the final level against one opponent in a narrow small maze like arena as a final bout in UT2003.

In general, I've come to notice that, when I have a good perception of the environment, I don't get the motion sickness. Perhaps since as I move I know what’s coming up.

I feel your pain. For me, I begin to feel slightly woozy, then my heart rate starts to increase, I get hot, and then i start getting sweaty. Almost like an anxiety attack. If I don't stop I get hardcore dizzy and have to be near a bathroom in fear of throwing up. Can't say I've thrown up yet.

Games that gave it to me bad.
Painkiller (Hope I get over it for this one especially, I want this one bad.)
Doom (Doom 2 multiplayer, never gave it to me)
Heretic (BAD, both multiplayer and single player).
Unreal
Quake I and II.
Serpent maze 1 vs 1 map in UT2003.
One high jump space map in UT2003 in the one where you carry around a ball.
Halo's indoor levels gave me a slight oncoming feeling but thats about it.

Breakdown made me all dizzy. Although I think everyone gets dizzy from that game, cool use of the first person view but it's all a bit much at times.

Gibbo

I still have this lingering ache in my head...2 hours after playing Katamari :( I've tried everything from consuming panadol before playing to..well, its the only thing I've tried. Need suggestions pple!

luxsol

marsomega said:
For me, I begin to feel slightly woozy, then my heart rate starts to increase, I get hot, and then i start getting sweaty. Almost like an anxiety. If I don't stop I get hardcore dizzy and have to be near a bathroom in fear of throwing up. Can't say I've thrown up yet.
Sounds like my mom when she's in tight spaces (claustrophobia).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Timesplitters 2 is like one of the only games that makes me sick to my stomach very quickly. Metroid Prime will do the same thing, if I play it for more than an hour. I start getting kinda sweaty for no reason and then I feel...dry. I could never finish Timsplitters 2 because of this.

I suffer from motion sickness and the only thing i've found to stop it in a fps is to turn off the viewbob (the bouncy motion of the weapon). Not all fps have this option mind and those i don't play.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
If I know I'm going to play a fps game(which I try not to do these days), I'll take a motion sickness bill 30min before I start playing.... it usually lasts all afternoon and I'm good to go... since I don't play fps that much I don't have any concerns about side effects from taking the pills too much.

Brofist

My gf gets it playing games. We went to the game center by my apt., 400 yen/hr for free use of the arcade (and bowling, billiards, karaoke, sports arena, and a million other things but thats besides the point :p ). Anyway after 6 straight games of Rave Racer she was getting motion sickness. Or maybe she got sick of getting whooped 6 straight times :lol

marsomega

DarienA said:
If I know I'm going to play a fps game(which I try not to do these days), I'll take a motion sickness bill 30min before I start playing.... it usually lasts all afternoon and I'm good to go... since I don't play fps that much I don't have any concerns about side effects from taking the pills too much.

There are pills for this?

BarneyBP

I get this too from the aforementioned titles. First time I ever felt it was as a little kid playing that magic carpet game for the PC. Halo gave it to me slightly but I was able to finish it. You guy's are killing me with this news that Katamari does it, I was so looking forward to playing it too :(

Vark

"There are pills for this?"

Dramamine (sp?) It's what people take when they go out on boats etc. You can also buy motion sickness 'bands'. They go around your wrist and have a plastic nub on them that puts pressure on a certain area that helps to relieve the symptoms (i've used them on boats before and it worked, i'm not sure how it'd work for a game, but I assume similar).

Either way, its all over the counter stuff you can get at the local drug store.

DHGamer

Halo is the only game that does this to me and I play a ton of FPS's. Couldn't play for more than 20 minutes before I thought I'd puke.

Solution:
Cold air cures it for me. Really, anything to cool you off seems to help.

TheDuce22

Banned
I feel your pain. I played Jedi Knight 2 for three hours and was sick the rest of the day. Any FPS that stays at 30-60 frames per second I dont have a problem with. When it starts slowing down and getting choppy, thats when I start to get sick. I just dont play those games for more than 30 minuets at a time.

SvelteBoy

I get motion sickness when playing any PC FPS. It doesn't happen if I'm playing racing games, flight sims, third-person action/adventure games or any console game. I think the problem with PC FPS is I'm sitting too close to the monitor. My solution is to play FPS on a much smaller screen (for PC games) or sit farther away from your TV (for console games). I have one of those VGA adapters for my Xbox and PS2, but I can't play any FPS because I'll get dizzy. So I either play these games in den sitting far away from the TV or hook my Xbox/PS2 to my PSone 5" LCD screen. The image quality isn't great but at least I can play for hours without getting dizzy. In fact, I played through Halo using my PSone screen.

Kalren

Katamari Damacy ownes me as well.

Good game though, but I can last only 40 minutes before I need to turn it off.

Gibbo

Glad to see there are other people in the same boat as me. heh. I tink the only FPS that I;ve no trouble with is Counterstrike. Wonder why.... maybe it has to do with the perception that that marsomega was talking about

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
marsomega said:
There are pills for this?

Yup and it's over the counter. It's for motion sickness, but works just fine for "virtual sickness" which is the correct term I believe for the sickness caused by certain video games.

im_dramamine_original.jpg

BuddyC

The only two games I've ever gotten motion sickness from were Breakdown and Enclave. In either case, I just couldn't deal with the wobbly camera.

Top Bottom