• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2 - 3 minutes of combat

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Downloading now, thanks. But I have to admit that I have worries about Prince of Persia 2. All they ever seem to talk about is the enhanched combat engine, which kinda makes me think that the focus on exploration will be lost. I hope Ubi doesn't forget what made the first game so great...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm all for improving the flaws of a game in its subsequent iterations. But in this case, they should just drop the shitty fighting and focus on making PoP's greatest strength even greater.

bogg

That look fuckin awesome. Cant wait for the traps, the platforming, and the combot looks great. Sold.

Mejilan said:
I'm all for improving the flaws of a game in its subsequent iterations. But in this case, they should just drop the shitty fighting and focus on making PoP's greatest strength even greater.

I would buy a Prince of Persia that had absolutely no combat. The combat system in the first one sucked, but the exploration/acrobatics element of it were oh so delicious.

Silkworm

But now with enhanced dramatic viewpoints of finishing combat moves, PoP2 surpasses its predecessor! :p Wow, look! Slow-mo view of a decapitation move! Gameplay now is awesome!!! ;) Just keep the environmental puzzles intact as well as an overall continuity to the various gaming environments and I'll be happy regardless of their apparent focus on combat in this sequel (I would have been completely happy if they had decided to remove all combat for PoP2 but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they've come up with in regards to making the combat more intuitive and fun).

jett

D-Member
Look awesome, but the way the combat is excuted still looks a little too similiar to the first one. I don't mind though, I liked PoP1's combat. :p

Drat. I was hoping you meant that there would only be 3 minutes of fighting in Prince of Persia 2.

I'd kill kill for a PoP game with no enemies -- just you versus the environment.

jett

D-Member
Traumahound said:
Drat. I was hoping you meant that there would only be 3 minutes of fighting in Prince of Persia 2.

I'd kill kill for a PoP game with no enemies -- just you versus the environment.

Uh, that wouldn't be Prince of Persia then. Shit, was Sands of Time the first PoP game you played? :p

Mareg

Mejilan said:

Keep in mind they want to hit maintream market. The first game sold like utter carap and Ubi as commended a super santa season seller. Combat and violance are the motto these days and it saddens me as much as the next guy. This game is definitly getting the M rated.

Notes : I'm not an anti-violence in game. I just think POP deserve to stay a hardcore gamer game.

Drexon

Banned
jett said:
Uh, that wouldn't be Prince of Persia then. Shit, was Sands of Time the first PoP game you played? :p
Before I heard of PoP, my one Prince of Persia experience was on a mac, you know, with one of those 12" screens and integrated disc drive. I also played simon the sorcerer and shuffleboard (the greatest game in history) on that. :D

Ranger X

I saw the pre-alpha version today and it's nice. Actually, it's not kidding that the fighting is retouched. The character is responding to what you do and not responding "what he thinks you want to do" like in Sands of Time.
Twas the PS2 built between and it was awesome. Much more effects on-screen than the previous installement.

And without saying something i wouldn't have the right to:
Fear not, one of the darkest and most combat oriented level is the pirate ship...

jett

D-Member
How's the framerate? How exactly is the combat handled now, btw? How is it different from mashing x x x x x? :p

Ranger X

Can't judge the framerate really, it's too early for that.
About the fighting system, it really is like what we can read in most previews. More of the same but it is really tweaked. More moves, you can use more the envirronnement, death blows, etc...
The main thing i find interesting is that we will probably feel like we actually control the character when fighting lol (unlike in Sands of Time)

SKluck

Banned
That reminds me. POP1 is $20 now right? Gotta pick that up. Couldn't justify spending $50 so I rented it, beat it, and decided to buy it when it dropped.

Top Bottom