• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia Comments on POP WW and a look back

This is from June 11th of this year. I didn't post it here before... But Anyway here it is... These were my first comments about POP WW when I saw.... So please stop with marketer for Ubisoft. I'm just a fan. :lol

As Prince of Persia Legacy is in a loop. I would like to present Prince of Persia Legacy Exclusive: Look back at Prince of Persia Series and future concerns of Prince of Persia (working title).

Lately there has been a lot of talk concerning the next Prince of Persia, ranging from debates among the hardcore fans to casual fans of the series. Some of fans have liked the new style of the game, while others have been disgusted by it in all means. Let’s start out by taking a look back at the series that showed the world that realistic running and jumping can be done in the world. where Mario ruled the world of platformers.
Prince of Persia started back in 1989 with Jordan Mechner. It had a simple Arabian Night story and gameplay. The story aspect of the game was with a young adventurer was first imprisoned for falling in love with a Sultan’s Princess, because the tyrant Jaffar had plans on marrying her. Jaffar gave the Princess an hour to marry him or die, when hourglass runs out. This is where you came in, you had to save the Princess in 60 minutes or it was game over. The young man was thrown in prison, yet he escaped to save his love and kill the treacherous Vizier. The young adventurer had no weapons so using all his wits he found sword by a corpse in the dungeon. He continued on to save the princess by fighting many guardsmen and a mystical skeleton. The combat used a simple sword that you used to block, parry, or hit your enemy. The combat of the original game was great, but the platforming aspects of dodging the traps such as falling ledges, spikes and those dreaded choppers made the game real classic in its time. In some instances the traps were laid all around the palace and you used them to take your enemy out or your enemies could use them on you. The combat and traps weren’t the only things that make Prince of Persia great, it was the remarkable animation of the Prince that showed world that realistic jumping, walking, and running can be done in games. The game became legendary with these features.

In 1993, a sequel was made to Prince of Persia 1, under the directions of Jordan Mechner once again. This sequel was darker just like the upcoming Prince of Persia game. The sequel to the game was a success in all terms, but the sales of the game weren’t as high as Prince of Persia 1 because of being extremely hard in the latter levels of the game. Overall the darker tone of the game was well received by the fans because the music and the story telling were unmatched. The story wasn’t just a simple tale of a young adventurer going to kill Jaffar who was impersonating him in his palace, but a story with a whole background of finding about your past, going to another dimension, and dieing to capture something unattainable in real life. After a couple a years Red Orb under the Learning Company published a walkthrough in first person perspective about Prince of Persia 1 and 2. This was a revolutionary book, even though it wasn’t popular because it was limited release all through out the world. For the lucky who read the walkthrough and story gained a new found respect of the original story.

In 1999, for the tenth anniversary Red Orb published Prince of Persia 3D. Before the release, there was a saying going around that the Prince has returned to take the crown away from Tomb Raider for being the best 3D action/adventure game. Well that statement was never said again, especially after the game was released. The game’s story was the typical Prince of Persia formula with the Princess getting kidnapped and the Prince had to figure a way to save her. This may seem to be a simple one, yet it became complicated with the Sultan sacrificing himself to save the Prince’s life, the Princess chopping Rugnor’s hand, and the multiple fights with the final boss in the game. So a Prince of Persia fan must asks “what went wrong?” The game had a major bug, which was dealt with Patch 1.1, the shield system was taken out from the game, the Prince moved too slowly was among the casual gamers, fighting is out of the ordinary, and the gameplay is not as fun as the original. The game centered on puzzles and the some parts of the game had combat. The actual break down was 70 percent puzzles and 30 percent combat. These puzzles were complicated with the gem puzzle and moon light puzzle, to the simpler ones like multiple door puzzles. The game sold fairly poorly because it wasn’t as easy to pick and play and the gaming market’s general feel for fast paced action games. There was another complicated situation that arose when the creators of Prince of Persia 3D, went bankrupt when the game was being troubleshooted. This was the cause for the all the bugs of the game, poorly drawn in game movies, and deletion of some parts of the game. The level that suffered the most was the Sun Temple level, which was simplest level of the game. It was really simple. This level didn’t mean that other levels were as bad as this level, some levels like the Palace, Dirigible, and the City/Dock Levels were works of art in their own premise. Another thing that got it was the AI of the game, which was designed only to control a specific region and after that they went back on their guard duty, which was really laughable because the Prince would be just standing and he didn’t even notice it. These short comings and many others caused the Prince of Persia 3D to appeared as the final nail to the legendary series that was now no where to be seen, except for the bargain bins only after a month after its release.

This poor faith of the Prince of Persia series would turn around in 2003 with the release of Prince of Persia Sands of Time. During this time, I was launching Prince of Persia Legacy with hopes to create the largest and the best Prince of Persia fan site on the web with the help of Prince of Persia Community. Anyway it was a fresh new story for the Prince of Persia Series with the Prince and new Princess known as Farah working together take out an evil Vizier’s plan to become immortal. The story had an Arabian Night feel with the Prince and Princess Farah not trusting each other, but throughout their struggle they develop a friendship and later fall in love for each other. This story was mature yet acceptable to new and old Prince of Persia fans for its new take on a childish Arabian Nights tale of a young prince that later falls in love with the conquered land’s Princess. As a whole it was enchanting because the story casted a spell on everyone, especially knowing that the game’s story was written by Jordan Mechner and knowing that he told the fans that this was the prequel to the original game. Letting the story aside, the gameplay was fast and furious yet very easy to pick up and play. This guaranteed even the casual fans could enjoy the Prince of Persia Series. The game released in November in North America and later in Europe, but the game received low sales the first month even with all the advertisements and even a MTV music video to advertise the game. Ubisoft then packed the game with Splinter Cell this boosted the sales of the game, while in Europe the game initially suffered from the PS2 deal with Sony. In Europe, around February Prince of Persia Sands of Time was released on the Xbox and Gamecube this garnished better sales for Ubisoft, which rewarded them for creating triple A game. By the end of June, the sales of Prince of Persia Sands of Time had reached 2.4 million copies, which was partially due to the great sales of Europe, because in North America the sales didn’t even reach one million copies. Everyone was afraid that Ubisoft would not create a sequel to the Prince of Persia Sands of Time, but by surprising the world Ubisoft announced in late June that a new sequel of Prince of Persia Sands of Time was in the work. This news excited everyone and was relieved even though the sales were low the game is receiving a sequel.
This brings up to current situation with Prince of Persia 2, not to be confused with the 1993 release. Current exposure from the major gaming news sites has raised some eye brows about the game while some fans are excited that the Prince has finally looks Persian after all these years and this game is going back to the original Prince of Persia’s gore. I’m saying its all good thing, but the gore in the original games was only in the traps, while the combat was only a huge red or different colored diamond shaped figure appeared to show contact was made with the sword. As for the Persian look, I personally don’t have any preferences but the turban was the symbol of royalty back in Middle Ages when the Islamic Empire was in its golden age. The creators have admitted that they are trying to deviate from the Arabian Nights feel, I would like to ask the question why? Jordan Mechner when he was creating Prince of Persia 1, 2, 3D, and Sands of Time has always tried to attain the Arabian Nights feel because that’s the image of the Arabia and Persia during the Middle Ages. Even though this may not be accurate to the Persian culture, but the series had this beautiful Arabian touch since the beginning. All the fans wish for is not to lose the magic of Prince of Persia series, when Jordan Mechner was in charge of the storyline. The subject of it being not Persian enough can be debated for a long time, the games music on the other hand cannot. Since Prince of Persia 2 (93) has always been wonderful with strings, later with ambient and techno of Prince of Persia 3D (99) and current with lyrical, Indian flavored, yet wonderful sound track of Prince of Persia Sands of Time. The new game has hinted that it’ll have hard rock music, which is unorthodox for a Prince of Persia game. Some fans say it’s appropriate of music that could be hard rock, but still retain its Arabic/Persian feel to it that was visible in Sands of Time with the marvelous job done by Mr. Chattwood and his Tea Party Band. The fans would like to have Mr. Chattwood to return once again for the soundtrack for Prince of Persia 2 (working title). As for the gore factor that is concerned it’s good to get the casual gamers interested into the Prince of Persia series, but is it necessary to have genre shift. Most of the videos shown on Gamespot and IGN from E3 all seem to indicate similar combat from Sands of Time. Unfortunately the free form of combat that Ubisoft is speaking high is yet to be seen. All the new moves seem to be updated moves from Sands of Time, which I don’t see anything special in. As for the duel weapon battling is concerned, I have yet to see any preview that would indicate that each secondary weapon to have its own combo. Maybe I’m writing it off too early, but the one video that was shown at E3 didn’t reveal anything different from Sands of Time. Another thing I’m disappointed about is that how many times, is wall-running and killing an enemy, chopping the guys head off, or using a someone as a hostage becomes mundane and routine just like the combat of the Sands of Time became after a while. I hope that Ubisoft comes true for their world and deliver an earth shattering combat system and furthermore a triple A game just like Sands of Time, but better. I wish them luck and I hope they contact Jordan Mechner, just to get an ok from him about the storyline about the game and the content within it.

In conclusion, a new Prince of Persia game is coming out this fall. We fans should support the game, no matter if it receives low or high scores. It’s Prince of Persia, this will persuade Ubisoft to create another Prince of Persia game in the future and not let this legendary franchise die. If we fans don’t buy the game, then all the exclusives for each console that are coming this fall will over-shadow another Prince of Persia game, lets not let what happened with Prince of Persia Sands of Time happen to Prince of Persia 2 (working title).
:lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Cliff notes version please.

EDIT: Thanks Bob... I concur I only recently picked up PoP but I'll definitely be picking up the new one right at release...

No this will please you guys.

This brings up to current situation with Prince of Persia 2, not to be confused with the 1993 release. Current exposure from the major gaming news sites has raised some eye brows about the game while some fans are excited that the Prince has finally looks Persian after all these years and this game is going back to the original Prince of Persia’s gore. I’m saying its all good thing, but the gore in the original games was only in the traps, while the combat was only a huge red or different colored diamond shaped figure appeared to show contact was made with the sword. As for the Persian look, I personally don’t have any preferences but the turban was the symbol of royalty back in Middle Ages when the Islamic Empire was in its golden age. The creators have admitted that they are trying to deviate from the Arabian Nights feel, I would like to ask the question why? Jordan Mechner when he was creating Prince of Persia 1, 2, 3D, and Sands of Time has always tried to attain the Arabian Nights feel because that’s the image of the Arabia and Persia during the Middle Ages. Even though this may not be accurate to the Persian culture, but the series had this beautiful Arabian touch since the beginning. All the fans wish for is not to lose the magic of Prince of Persia series, when Jordan Mechner was in charge of the storyline. The subject of it being not Persian enough can be debated for a long time, the games music on the other hand cannot. Since Prince of Persia 2 (93) has always been wonderful with strings, later with ambient and techno of Prince of Persia 3D (99) and current with lyrical, Indian flavored, yet wonderful sound track of Prince of Persia Sands of Time. The new game has hinted that it’ll have hard rock music, which is unorthodox for a Prince of Persia game. Some fans say it’s appropriate of music that could be hard rock, but still retain its Arabic/Persian feel to it that was visible in Sands of Time with the marvelous job done by Mr. Chattwood and his Tea Party Band. The fans would like to have Mr. Chattwood to return once again for the soundtrack for Prince of Persia 2 (working title). As for the gore factor that is concerned it’s good to get the casual gamers interested into the Prince of Persia series, but is it necessary to have genre shift. Most of the videos shown on Gamespot and IGN from E3 all seem to indicate similar combat from Sands of Time. Unfortunately the free form of combat that Ubisoft is speaking high is yet to be seen. All the new moves seem to be updated moves from Sands of Time, which I don’t see anything special in. As for the duel weapon battling is concerned, I have yet to see any preview that would indicate that each secondary weapon to have its own combo. Maybe I’m writing it off too early, but the one video that was shown at E3 didn’t reveal anything different from Sands of Time. Another thing I’m disappointed about is that how many times, is wall-running and killing an enemy, chopping the guys head off, or using a someone as a hostage becomes mundane and routine just like the combat of the Sands of Time became after a while. I hope that Ubisoft comes true for their world and deliver an earth shattering combat system and furthermore a triple A game just like Sands of Time, but better. I wish them luck and I hope they contact Jordan Mechner, just to get an ok from him about the storyline about the game and the content within it.

Top Bottom