• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evoluntion Soccer 2011 Playmaker (Wii) |OT| of true teamwork gameplay

Datschge

Non-Playmaker PES 2011 (Xbox360, PS3, PC, PS2, PSP, iPhone/iPod Touch/Android) OT can be found here

If one of our benevolent mods could please fix my inane typo in the title. ^^;;
Anyone willing to create better Playmaker graphics for this OT?

By the creators of WE/PES Tactics (PS2), Akiyoshi "Greyhound" Chosogabe and staff, comes the fourth revision of the PES Playmaker (Wii) series.

e839j6.jpg

Official release dates
➡ Europe: October 29th OUT NOW!
➡ Japan: November 18th OUT NOW!
➡ The Americas: November 30th OUT NOW!

What happened so far
★ First Playmaker version

★★ Introduction of Classic controls, targeted shots using B button, give-and-go/one-two passing, improved tackling control while man marking, intercepting passes using d-pad, improved free kick control, friend and rival lists for online matches

★★★ New 3D free kick view and controls, point, pull and control stick dribbling controls, control stick movement while man marking, stamina gauge to limit rushing

New features
★★★★ Playmaker vs Classic control matches, 360° movements, player movement for set plays, adjustable camera for corner kicks, improved online
➡ Gameplay trailer
➡ improved online: Whereas the previous versions allowed both opponents to go out of sync, leading to discarded inputs, lags, warps, invisible runs and goals and a whole library of oddities, this version finally does the right thing, forces syncing all the time. This means no input is discarded anymore. But this also means all input is executed with a slight delay, and worse connections lead to short sudden pauses where the connection catches up with the game. Nevertheless definitely the top change in this version!
➡ pre-set movements in set plays: During corner and free kicks it's now possible to pre-set movements of players which is executed as soon as the ball gets moving again. This is done by dragging players while keeping Z pressed. It allows for excellent crowded scenes in front of the goal with multiple players trying to go for a header, so the real target of a cross is no longer as visible to the opponent.
➡ tweakable corner kick camera: Ever wanted to position your player perfectly in line with a post? Have several players lined up so that opponents can't interfere as easily? Now you can. This new feature using the control stick makes it possible to look at the front of the goal and zoom in. Combined with above pre-set movements it allows for new kinds of micromanagement which are hard to realize in the usual zoomed out view.
more to come later...
➡ Tutorial - Basic Controls
➡ Tutorial - Technique Movies

Online settings explained

➡ Player Settings: Change your control type and details.
➡ Home Ground: Change the stadium used.
➡ Your Opponent's Control Style: Set whether or not to allow opponents of the opposing control style.
➡ Display Opponent's Controls: Allows one to hide all those arrows and markings by the opponents. Results in a harder but more realistic match, especially good to stay focussed on one's own tactics.
➡ Match data: Set whether to allow custom teams (like My Team, Champions Road and Master League teams) in the online match. Doesn't filter opponents while searching, instead the custom team buttons are just enabled or disabled accordingly for both sides.
➡ Priority: Very broken setting, always set it to the lowest rightmost level unless you like to wait longer and get nagged by warning notices for nothing.

Official bullshots

Video impressions
➡ match video Atletico vs Barca (GC off screen)
➡ archive of random online match live streams
➡ online match video Holland vs England (off screen by Marc^o^)
➡ online match Sevilla vs Atletico
➡ online match revanche Atletico vs Man City
more?

Reviews
➡ N-Zone (German mag) 86% (single player), 88% (multiplayer)
➡ NGamer (UK mag) 79%
➡ 3D Juegos (in Spanish) 8.4
➡ [N]Gamer (Dutch mag) 8 (thanks Sadist)
➡ Vandal (in Spanish) 8.6
➡ revogamers (in Spanish) 8 (thanks CaVaYeRo)
➡ NMag (German online mag) 8.5
➡ HardGame2 (in Spanish) 8
➡ MeriStation (in Spanish) 8
➡ Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) 80%
➡ GameSpot UK 7.0
➡ GameKult (in French) 6
more?

PES Wii specific community sites
➡ Play-Wii.org (aka playpes.de, PAL region)
more?

GAF PES 2011 Wii Friendscodes
★PAL
➡ fabprems: 5328 7182 6181
➡ datschge/playpes.de: 0088 8598 9091
➡ Chimkey: 3438 9356 0328
★NTSC
➡ jlevel13: 2064-6140-7422
★NTSC-J
more?

Recommended further reading
➡ Zonal Marking - insightful tactical discussions of real matches which can be applied to Playmaker matches as well

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
PES 2010 was my 2nd favorite game last year after Uncharted 2 and I have high hopes for this 2011 edition, I know the gameplay will be second to none but I hope the online code will be improved.

The only Wii version I played was 2008. I think that was the first Wii edition.

By far the most fun I've had with a soccer game.

marc^o^

Gamecocks625 said:
The only Wii version I played was 2008. I think that was the first Wii edition.

By far the most fun I've had with a soccer game.
Going from the 2008 to the 2011 edition, you're in for a treat. The 2010 version was so refined already.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I played 08 on Wii, skipped 09 and got 10 last year. Superb game and it makes the control pad versions completely unplayable for me. I'll be happy with just an refinement of 2010's gameplay, just please god give me some new likenesses for some of the Tottenham players. Assou-Ekotto and Palacios were total garbage, they looked like templates. Hopefully Spurs being in the CL means they get treated a bit better.

Have they finally added co-op for the local cups/tournaments? That was some serious bullshit that you couldn't play co-op in the cups in any other PES on Wii.

jlevel13

I've been playing a lot of 09 recently and have really grown to love it. I skipped 10 because it came out so close to 09, and at that point I felt I hadn't played enough of the game to make the upgrade worthwhile, so I'm really looking forward to 11 and plan to spend a lot of time with it. Kinda pissed at the month long delay for the US release though.

I do wish the menus were given a refresh, but in the ONE video I've seen online they were exactly the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbvCwgBt6Q

Datschge

I personally think the menu looks serviceable enough as is. What I don't like though is how at some places there are many repetitive screens to click through for stuff one rarely changes like the control type and stadium before online games. That seems to be more polished in the new version with the unified setting screen if the gameplay video is any indication.

Datschge

Added three more official bullshots.

Shipping date seems to be the 27th, at least in Germany.

Edit: Uh, the US Amazon raised the price by one dollar. Is that even possible? o_O

Datschge

Got the shipping notification from Amazon today, so shops should have the game soon-ish as well if not already.

Once I get it I'll do some videos like from the training camp (which has been excellent for showing the Playmaker specific features in the past).

Datschge

2relgsm.jpg

My first impressions are very good: Online connections finally seem more like offline instead a separate luck based game, 360° dribbling is superb, lob passing is smoother, improved ball physic, tweaked AI (faster pass receiving, fairer defense, no more body balance super heroes, step forward bug fixed, better positioning, pass receiver can be late when under pressure, but does better in free space, better keeper, no longer stupidly goes for the ball alone but also tries to to cover the goal and the attacking player, defense better at intercepting passes), crosses are no longer always spot on. To me so far it seems they made all the right tweaks to remove previous annoyances and make the resulting game flow more realistic. More later...

Datschge

Tenbatsu said:
Is the online mode better in this version?
Completely different from all versions before. Like I wrote in my previous post it actually feels like an offline game unlike the previous luck-based implementations.

I just had a free match with what I feel was a very bad connection. In the past versions the results of such connections were a lot of lags, warps and oddities like players unable to pass, shot, receive passes, pulls being canceled etc. This time nothing of those happens, instead the worse the connection is, the more mini pauses there apparently are. This is definitely a huge improvements as now finally everything you do is actually respected in the online match just like it would in an offline match.

I'll do videos where the pauses are visible once I'm back again later.

fabprems

Just got the game. My first online match was painfull (i lost 6-0 with Manchester vs Barca).
I have to go back to the training ! :D

marc^o^

Yes! YES! Online is now officially working! I played 3 matches only, but so far so good, it works. Which makes it my GOTY, de facto.

I must say coming back form FIFA 11 it hurts the first few minutes. We need a Move HD version, I implore it. This game is too good not to evolve in the presentation department.

There have been few refinements again this year, I'll come back to it later. It's now a perfect game. Totally different than Fifa, just as brilliant. Love.

CaVaYeRo

marc^o^

Played some more matches, it is such a good game. Too bad so few people play it, you can find an opponent seamlessly in Fifa11 on PS3. Here, you sometimes wait few minutes to find someone. I didn't check if there is still a region limitation, I'll post my code tomorrow for PAL users.

Sadist

Other review: Dutch [N]Gamer

Pros: More freedom than ever, on the field and around it. Traditional controls or Wiimote set-up makes the game more accessible. Many improvement when compared to PES 2010.

Cons: Free Run makes it too easy while playing against the computer. PES still looks hideous.

marc^o^

This edition is better than ever. Not only is it the most innovative wii game ever created, to me it is also the best soccer game on a console, period. I love Fifa 11 but this PES is more intense: having more control and less automation always put you on the edge.

I will record an online match this afternoon and post it on youtube, so that you can see how it plays once you are familiar with the controls.

Datschge

MYE said:
I have 2010, should i buy this one?
Absolutely if you liked 2010 and you like playing online (which is superb for the first time in Playmaker). There was also a lot of re-balancing of strengths and weaknesses so even if you play the same teams or only offline against the CPU the improvements are all very nice to have.

marc^o^

My video is uploading, a full online match, shot with an iPhone 4. It should be online in a couple hours.

Meanwhile, some extra thoughts.

Things I noticed:
- It's the first edition to provide full 360 analog controls on top of the pointing passing. It makes the game more fluid and easier to handle for traditional PES/Fifa fans
- Automatic pressing is more efficient than it used to. I kept it activated so far (what about you?)
- Background during replays are better: they use a trick to apply nice images instead of a bad looking 3D stadium
- Chants and sound in general are improved
- The collision bug when missing a header has been removed
- The game keeps a list of your favorite teams for online matches, which makes the team selection very quick/easy

Early reviews say PES has not evolved much since last year and I disagree. PES fans know the franchise is all about details, every edition is better than the previous one. And this version is no exception, it's refined, the gameplay is close to perfection. Most improvements have been covered in this thread already and I'm sure I'll notice other things the more I play. Stay tuned.

Datschge

I added explanations of following new features to the OP: improved online, pre-set movements in set plays, tweakable corner kick camera. I'll add more later.

There is another new review, this time in Spanish again by vandal.net (8.6).

seady

I seriously want to try one of these Playmaker PES games someday.
Should this be the year and why this year?

CaVaYeRo

Datschge

jlevel13 said:
What does that symbol in the upper right corner mean?
It shows that there's an online connection. It gets slower when the connection gets worse (which is stupid since noone can play attention to it during a game, but whatever...).

Everyone who claims there weren't many changes in the game just proves that he didn't play this and the previous Playmaker games extensively. Superficial the changes are few, but the gameplay changes and balancing have a huge impact. Of course noone expects game reviewers to play games long enough for their texts. =P

Edit: With this many Spanish reviews so far, isn't there any Playmaker specific community site there?

jlevel13

Datschge said:
It shows that there's an online connection. It gets slower when the connection gets worse (which is stupid since noone can play attention to it during a game, but whatever...).

Thanks, that's what I figured it was, but it didn't make too much sense, since it's not like you can do anything about it if your connection is good or bad other than quit, and you'd know if it was good or bad during the match w/o having to check a symbol (would be useful when setting up a match though).

Another question - any changes to the editor? More options maybe? I enjoyed the version they had in 09, but at times it was a little limited (for instance, you couldn't do a Newcastle shirt right, because you couldn't add the black box behind the Northern Rock text).

vixlar

Datschge said:
Edit: With this many Spanish reviews so far, isn't there any Playmaker specific community site there?

Maybe Spain got an exclusivity because they are the world champions, hehehe.

(Actually spanish sites are always excited about futbol games.)

Datschge

jlevel13 said:
Another question - any changes to the editor? More options maybe?
I didn't see any changes from 2010 to 2011 so far. Haven't used the editor in 2009 but could check that later if you want.

jlevel13

Datschge said:
I didn't see any changes from 2010 to 2011 so far. Haven't used the editor in 2009 but could check that later if you want.

ah, don't go out of your way - it's not super important... just stuff I was mildly curious about, since the game still doesn't come out here for a few weeks.

marc^o^

I've played 19 matches so far, still no sign of lag.
This PES on wii provides the best gaming experience I've ever had in a sports game. It's pure genius on a disc. The fact reviewers don't test it and soccer fans don't give it a chance is beyond incomprehensible.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Got this in the post yesterday. Only slight improvements from 2010 but that just means it is even closer to perfection. I'm loving the improved likenesses for the Spurs players as well.

Apenheul

Darn, the online webshop I pre-ordered the game from has removed PES 2011 Wii from its catalogue. I'll just wait a few more days and hope it'll be shipped anyway.

Boney

Banned
Sooooo anyone know the penalty system with a CC?

2010 had a cursor you used that moved slow as hell and was completely stupid in 2 player couch playing.

Top Bottom