• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D(s) |OT|

LevityNYC

Banned
I saw the buy 1 get 1 sale at Toys R Us today even though i only intended to buy Pilot Wings and decided to pick it up.

What can you say? Its PES. Its fun, realistic, and looks good in 3D. Its not nearly as deep in mode and teams, but the actual soccer is very good.

I wouldn't call it a showpiece game, but its a fine sports game to play on your 3DS.

I hope EA throws an NHL game up next year.

Kaizen

I hate what they did to the ML mode. It's my favorite mode ever but in PES11 3D.. not so much.
Why the hell is the fake currency back for example?
This game feels like PES2008..

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kaizen said:
I hate what they did to the ML mode. It's my favorite mode ever but in PES11 3D.. not so much.
Why the hell is the fake currency back for example?
This game feels like PES2008..
Ah not filling me with confidence, as i was hoping the game would play closer to the PS2 games.:(

LevityNYC

Banned
I'm not a soccer fan, but I love soccer games.

I played Pilot Wings for about 30 minutes, but have been playing PES 2011 for about 90 minutes and I just think its a blast to play. 3D looks great on it and its not bothering my eyes.

Like what a few people said, if you want something with 1000 game modes, this isn't for you, but if you want a realistic soccer game, go for it.

i haven't been much of a pro evo player in years, but i like this version a lot for what it is. it plays and looks great, though the menus are terrible and i guess online would be nice. definitely the best handheld football game i've played, anyway.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
not sure if i'm imagining it but the game is way easier than other versions - i suspect this is because of the new "default" view to make use of 3D. Switching to the traditional side on view makes the game a bit of a doddle (Eat this Barca ! 6-0 with Spurs)

pringles

Lafiel said:
Ah not filling me with confidence, as i was hoping the game would play closer to the PS2 games.:(
It does. The gameplay is awesome, since it's built on the PS2 engine.

However, it is missing some features.. for example there is no kit editor, and you can't create your own team to play ML with. Also players don't develop during ML, which is the biggest downer for me since for me ML has always been about taking young talents and making them into superstars.

You can't save replays. There is no online play. And there are some other minor things that are missing from past PES games.

Like I said though, once you actually PLAY it's an awesome game. Really nice 3D effect imo, classic PES gameplay, a ton of fun. But it could have been a masterpiece if it wasn't so stripped of options and features.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What is the fps in non-3D? Is it 60fps? Also, how jaggy is this game? It looked awfully low res in the debut trailer.

Keio

For a Finer World
Played from VerticalWide it's an interesting challenge for a second. But I think it's too fast, frantic and the ball bounces weird :/ Going to return this and wait for next year :(

dk_

Can't find the option to edit team squads so that you don't have to sub all the players before a match.

Help.

Blablurn

Keio said:
Played from VerticalWide it's an interesting challenge for a second. But I think it's too fast, frantic and the ball bounces weird :/ Going to return this and wait for next year :(

i hoped the same for the PSP versions back then. too bad the improvement was always quite minimal. actually.. PES 2011 on PSP does almost feel like the first two or three games on the plattform. of course with updated rosters and menus. let's hope they won't do this with the 3DS games...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Blablurn said:
let's hope they won't do this with the 3DS games...

I can assure you they will, just like they do with every new PES (except the Wii versionss).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just bought the game and played a match, switching between the default and usual wide cameras. I am extremely impressed by graphics and 3D. I will judge the game based on its IA, moreso knowing there is no online.

So far what I can tell is first contact with this PES is awesome.

MEATER

Picked this up as my first 3DS game, too...

After I just put some hours in 2011 on 360 recently I was pretty dissappointed that they didn't include the free pass system.

I was hoping to get some training for multiplayer on 360 but no luck with that! 2011 3D plays totally different!

Only interested in playing quick match / exhibition on the train, so I don't really bother that they apparantly stripped down the Master League.

Would rate this 7 / 10. It's a good game but they could have done so much more...

Also disappointed that they don't let you save replays of goals so you can watch them later.

I actually play in 2D (moving the 3DS too much while playing so the 3D gets out of focus all the time) and it would be fun to be able to rewatch goals in 3D.

jtrov

So what are the game modes in PES 3DS? I want to pick this up, but only if it has some sort of Manager / Franchise mode.

I rarely play sports games online, so that exclusion doesn't really bother me.

Pachimari

PES2011 is the main reason I consider a 3DS at this stage. Keep the 3D impressions coming, give examples of how and where they use the effect. I know it's used with the new camera angle and in replays, but a detailed description would be nice. =)

DoubleTap

jtrov said:
So what are the game modes in PES 3DS? I want to pick this up, but only if it has some sort of Manager / Franchise mode.

I rarely play sports games online, so that exclusion doesn't really bother me.

A couple of people mentioned ML (Master League) so that's pretty much the Manager/Franchise Mode.

Dissapointing that there's no edit mode but can live with that until the next version.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive :-(

Datschge

They pretty much just got the basic engine up and running on 3DS. I'm sure all the meat like decent online, training, editor and more fully fleshed other modes will appear in the next iterations. The Wii version also started belated and with only the basic stuff compared to where it's now. So I'd just suggest to wait first if any of the missing stuff is a necessity.

Xater

Datschge said:
They pretty much just got the basic engine up and running on 3DS. I'm sure all the meat like decent online, training, editor and more fully fleshed other modes will appear in the next iterations. The Wii version also started belated and with only the basic stuff compared to where it's now. So I'd just suggest to wait first if any of the missing stuff is a necessity.

I totally expect a way better package with 2012 which has to be released this fall. That's why I skipped this game. I really hope to finally see a good portable game of football.

LevityNYC

Banned
Anastacio said:
PES2011 is the main reason I consider a 3DS at this stage. Keep the 3D impressions coming, give examples of how and where they use the effect. I know it's used with the new camera angle and in replays, but a detailed description would be nice. =)
I like it. I wasn't even considering it until I read the reviews. Its not a showpiece 3D game, but it looks really nice.

Pilot Wings caused me eye strain after about 30 minutes, but I get no eye strain at all playing this game.

Datschge

Xater said:
I totally expect a way better package with 2012 which has to be released this fall. That's why I skipped this game. I really hope to finally see a good portable game of football.
They may take time for the next 3DS iteration until next year tough. On the Wii the second iteration was belated as well.

Keio

For a Finer World
Blablurn said:
i hoped the same for the PSP versions back then. too bad the improvement was always quite minimal. actually.. PES 2011 on PSP does almost feel like the first two or three games on the plattform. of course with updated rosters and menus. let's hope they won't do this with the 3DS games...
I guess it really depends on the reception of the device. The first PES is a 7/10 for me, but the 3D is impressive and I like the ideas they had for tweaking the gameplay (VerticalWide camera is intriguing, but the gameplay is a bit too fast in my opinion to make use of the tactical positions).

The best thing about the 3D is the fact that a camera at a lower viewpoint is useful as you can judge long passes & changing sides much better. But the VerticalWide has to become more dynamic e.g. allow for view of the box when crossing etc. to really be useful.

And yes, from the "normal Wide view" PES 3DS is too easy & feels clunky compared to the "big console" versions.

I returned it today for Ghost Recon, but will watch the future of the franchise. It'd be interesting if they went the Wii way. It's not easy though, as the touch screen is more "separated" from the 3D screen now.

marc^o^

Has anyone found the auto save in Master League? I'm not sure it's there, nor the ability to save the tactics set up in the touch screen.

Which would be a shame as tactics are essential to the gameplay, and it's a waste of time to change it before each match.

Things like that show how rushed the game was. But I have played it 3:56 today (I bought it this morning!) and it's a dream come true for a soccer fan like me.

The game is amazing. Same as with SSF4, it's damn close to the real thing. I will play it for ages, until the next version.

I love the 3D in this game, but you really need to hold your 3DS firmly, in a stable position not to lose it. It took me 3 hours to find the good grip, whereas I had no issue with SSF4.
It's so worth it though, it immerses you on the field.

Got this. It's good, but I realized I'm likely not going to play it much. Thinking of seeing if anyone will do a 1:1 trade for another US launch game. :/

What about the controls?

I've always found the portable iterations of PES/WE nearly unplayable; the game just needs more buttons (DS and Psp both lacked r2/l2).

Other problem is with the game camera; I need to see more of the playing field to play it properly.

jesusraz

Adding reviews to the first post? If so, Cubed3: http://www.cubed3.com/review/957 - 7/10.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D is definitely a good start for the series, and plays a highly enjoyable game of football. However, some slowdown, missing options and other minor drawbacks highlight that perhaps a bit more care and attention would have made this a far better product. Football fans desperate for some 3DS sports action will find a game that plays as well as its big brothers, yet must be warned that this is definitely akin to a ‘light’ edition.

Real shame about the lack of online multiplayer, especially considering the DS games managed it!

marc^o^

metareferential said:
Other problem is with the game camera; I need to see more of the playing field to play it properly.
About the game camera, wii version had the widest view in any PES, which made the passing game so enjoyable.

The view in this PES is more limited, but in 3D it is very acceptable. I took 2 shots to show you how 3D lets you see more of the game vs 2D:

5573203091_cc2e78d4b9.jpg

See how cropped the 2 opponents are on the far right? This is the 2D view.

3D has a direct impact on gameplay in this game.
It offers you more visual information, which makes attacking and defending easier.

It's pretty obvious next version will be better on all fronts, but as a launch game this PES is excellent, the best soccer fix you can get on the go.

jlevel13

besiktas1 said:
I would assume that it is a save file, therefore if someones done the hard work couldn't we upload it on to our SD cards?

You can't edit kits in this game. All you can edit are team names, stadium names, cup names and some player attributes, so you can't change anything about the look of the game - I don't know if that's worth an option file (even if one would work). It does save the changes you make to the SD card, I'm pretty sure, but it's hardly worth it.

Actually, overall, I'm pretty disappointed with this game and wouldn't recommend it unless one doesn't have any way to play a home console version of PES or even FIFA. It's not just the lack of editing and modes, but to me the game feels shockingly basic and uninteresting - it doesn't feel alive - it doesn't have any magic. In particular, defense feels like shit. I really like what the console versions did with defense in 2011 and none of those improvements are here. It actually feels very much like the defensive system they have in FIFA now, but worse than ps2 PES defense, which was similar, because the smallness of the screen and ball, it's really hard to judge getting in a good tackle or even when you have taken the ball.

The graphics are indeed impressive for a handheld, but not only does the game feel undercooked, it just feels horribly bland. I should also mention, in about the two hours I put into the game, every single goal scored against me by the computer (using a variety of teams) was scored in exactly the same way. Huge yawn.

marc^o^

I'm now 15 hours into the Master League and I can report this PES is one of the very best, whatever the platform!

3 reasons for this:
1. the wide vertical view in 3D is the best view I have seen in a PES! First 12 hours I was playing with the side view as always. Out of curiosity I switched to the vertical view.
What a difference it makes... it's the way this game is meant to be played. Forget the side view, the player camera view. Try the vertical camera and be amazed at the visibility you have of the whole field. Unseen in any soccer/football game.

2. the circle pad is awesome, more accurate than many analog pads on consoles.

3. the ability to change strategies on the touchscreen is very convenient to use in real time, which makes controling the whole team a breeze.

Having spent some time with it already, I can't praise this PES enough. If you are a PES/FIFA fan you need this game. Say goodbye to your free time.

Blablurn

marc^o^ said:
I'm now 15 hours into the Master League and I can report this PES is one of the very best, whatever the platform!

3 reasons for this:
1. the wide vertical view in 3D is the best view I have seen in a PES! First 12 hours I was playing with the side view as always. Out of curiosity I switched to the vertical view.
What a difference it makes... it's the way this game is meant to be played. Forget the side view, the player camera view. Try the vertical camera and be amazed at the visibility you have of the whole field. Unseen in any soccer/football game.

3. the ability to change strategies on the touchscreen is very convenient to use in real time, which makes controling the whole team a breeze.

Having spent some time with it already, I can't praise this PES enough. If you are a PES/FIFA fan you need this game. Say goodbye to your free time.

you almost make me wanna buy a 3DS haha

marc^o^

Blablurn said:
you almost make me wanna buy a 3DS haha
There's no better reason IMO. My stats report I spent 20 hours on it already, the Master League is as addictive as usual. Konami found a tremendous camera with the wide vertical view in 3D: calls for the ball and through passes have never felt so good. They can still perfect it, as when attacking on top of the field, the camera doesn't zoom enough towards the box, it's a bit too distant. Still it's an amazing achievement, we get more visual information than we ever had with a vertical view (yes, more than in Super Soccer :).

The game is smooth, animations and physics are solid, IA is challenging, and it has a next gen feel: new view + 3D differentiate it from other soccer games you've played these last 20 years.

Great game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I wouldn't mind getting it just to rip through the Master League once more, but I think I'll wait till the 2012 season release.

Datschge

marc^o^ said:
So is it actually analog this time, i.e. the walking/running speed can be controlled with the analog pad alone? Because using the analog stick in Wii Playmaker I recently noticed that while the direction is 360° the running speed is still fixed for whatever reason. =(

depward

I've been playing this too and while I'm not so keen on it like marc is, I will say it's a fine game of footie on a handheld and probably the best one I've played... and I've played just about each year's FIFA and PES on the PSP.

I'll also echo's marc liking of the wide vertical cam - it's really quite brilliant and a nice change-up from the traditional wide view. Things can be a little pulled back when you're in the attacking penalty box... but it works.

One small niggle I have with the game is defense. My AI defensemen seem a little dumb sometimes... and I mean like, allowing someone with the ball to just run with it without challenging. Often, you can stop this from happening by pushing and holding the CPU pressure button but sometimes it doesn't work.

But it really works. And works well. Definitely certainly validates my 3DS purchase, along with Super Street Fighter.

marc^o^

Datschge said:
So is it actually analog this time, i.e. the walking/running speed can be controlled with the analog pad alone? Because using the analog stick in Wii Playmaker I recently noticed that while the direction is 360° the running speed is still fixed for whatever reason. =(
In Play maker the only way to adjust your speed is to use the drag and drop controls. It makes all the difference against someone relying on the mere analog stick. On this PES it's much more simplistic, and it's one area where it is not on par with console standards. You can hardly adjust your running speed: you either walk or run (and run faster pressing twice ahead of your direction). This PES not a perfect game by any mean, I have no doubt next version will be better, but being able to play a soccer game this good on a handheld is fantastic.

marc^o^

Ok, I'm now well into 2nd season in the Master League and I switched back to the lateral view for the last 5 hours. It's less impressive, but in the end more playable. There is an annoying bug in the otherwise oustanding vertical view: sometimes, the camera move makes your direction change (instead of going straight, you end up running in diagonal). This, coupled with the fact the camera is not going close enough to the upper box makes me prefer the normal view. I hope next version will fix these these issues.

I needed time to adjust to the controls, but I can proudly say I own the IA now, feels soooo good :) Too bad online mode is missing.

This PES is the best 3DS launch game IMO, best use of 3D and one of the best game of its genre. It reminds me A LOT of PES 5, which I would still rate one of the best in the series (with winning eleven 6 final edition).

um, you always play as the whole team. press L to forcibly switch player when defending (in any camera view), but clearly if you pass from player to player then you're controlling the one who has the ball at any given time.

Top Bottom