• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably the most horrifying insect ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

darkwing said:
I lost it when the caterpillar starved to death protecting the parasites

Yeah I really felt bad at that one, mind control is just wrong. Here is a happy video about bees killing a hornet:

watch

Satyamdas

Banned
At first I was going to say I couldn't believe the video in the OP actually made me feel bad for a fucking cockroach, but then I watched some of the other vids in the thread. Now I just want to build myself a sterile fortress like the old guy from Creepshow:

KIn7U.jpg

Takao

Banned
The poor caterpillar. Dude got fat, and then had chunks of his body eaten to give birth to nasty larvae that brainwashed him into protecting them even more, and giving his life for them. :(

Kinyou

Takao said:
The poor caterpillar. Dude got fat, and then had chunks of his body eaten to give birth to nasty larvae that brainwashed him into protecting them even more, and giving his life for them. :(
I'm amazed that the caterpillar survived with so many holes in it.

LFG

Neophyte
i've always wanted to find someone with like a cluster of 12-15 bot fly larvae in their back and remove them with tweezers.

inky

6kDzN.jpg

Leucochloridium variae, common name brown-banded broodsac, is a species of a parasite that invades snails and makes their eye stalks swollen, pulsating and colourful.

This maggot-resembling feature attracts birds. The bird rips off the eye stalk and eats it and later on the parasite's egg is dropped with the bird's feces. Similar life-histories are found in most species in the genus Leucochloridium including Leucochloridium paradoxum.

The snail regenerates a replacement eye stalk, which also becomes infected by the parasite.

MikeMyers

Takao said:

If it were a Weedle, all the parasites would have gotten poisoned inside his body.

apana

speculawyer said:
We have other things that get our brains . . . Mad-cow, syphilis, alzheimers, etc.

I thought parasitic worms are the leading cause of brain seizures? At least that's what that Caltech article that was posted said. Don't eat undercooked pork or pork in foreign countries, you gonna have things hatching in your brain.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
The roach is scarier

Threads like these make me glad knowing that one day this planet will blow up and all these demonic creatures will be forever wiped off the face of the universe.

zmoney said:
Human sized anything (not already that size or larger) would be fucking terrifying.

e.g. Squirrels...human sized ones, they would be evil man. pure evil. The ones behind my apartment building already run up to you as soon as you walk out the door and jump on your leg hoping for food.

Human sized squirrels would probably be the scariest thing after human sized insects.

There is a fairly common nematode in the Midwest called the horsehair worm. Basically it grows inside of crickets and other small insects until it occupies nearly 80% of it's body and then releases a hormone that makes the cricket move to a body of water. After it jumps in the worm bursts free from the cricket.

Tenck

Clydefrog said:
Thank god insects are small. Human-sized wasps would be fucking terrifying.

They're waiting in the shadows till they have an army big enough to take over the world.

Lesath

Tenck said:
They're waiting in the shadows till they have an army big enough to take over the world.

The only thing keeping you safe is the relatively low oxygen concentration in the Earth's atmosphere nowadays. There used to be dragonflies with 2 ft wingspans.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I love how the cockroach shat itself when it got stung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom