• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably the most horrifying insect ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
2vijcig.jpg

Rikyfree

Takao said:
The poor caterpillar. Dude got fat, and then had chunks of his body eaten to give birth to nasty larvae that brainwashed him into protecting them even more, and giving his life for them. :(
The caterpillar was a tea party member?

I think this one wasn't mentioned yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3OQPT3qbU#t=3m43s

This is cool because it just temporarily changes behavior instead of zombifying them.

The (Ichneumon) wasp releases a pheromone that makes the ants attack each other, while the wasp can walk right into the nest. Powerful magic spell it has going for it.

I linked the specific time in the video, but watch the whole video for the full story:

- blue butterfly caterpillar tricks ants into believing they are ant larva by using the same pheromones or whatever.
- ants carry caterpillar into their nest and nurture for it until it turns into a butterfly.
- the ichneumon wasp can somehow detect which ant nest has these caterpillars (which the ants themselves can't) and walks right into it
- the wasp releases a pheromone that makes the ants attack each other
- the wasp lays its eggs into the caterpillars
- wasp larva grow inside the caterpillar, which is still nursed by the ants due to their pheromone
- But instead of a butterfly, a wasp hatches.

the poor ants are used by everyone!

Jimrpg

why are insects UGLY? i mean why?

do other animals think they are ugly too?

monkeys - do they think wasps are gross?

what about ants, bees, centipedes?

i mean cats, dogs, elephants, dolphins, fish, are mostly pleasant looking... but insects are basically unpleasant looking.

arbok26 said:

i mean cats, dogs, elephants, dolphins, fish, are mostly pleasant looking... but insects are basically unpleasant looking.

Butterflies are pretty, as are most beetles (which alone are like 40% of all insects).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarabaeidae can be especially beautiful.

arbok26 said:

Generally speaking, dangerous animals we have evolved around will be things we find disgusting, or scary, or what have you. Other animals that look similar to those will be ugly/scary by association. Humans probably make wasps shit themselves.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You know, I'm usually all about bug threads here on GAF, but my god some of these videos...holy fucking shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
apana said:
Yeah I really felt bad at that one, mind control is just wrong. Here is a happy video about bees killing a hornet:

watch
"I like my hornets like I like my women. Covered in bees."

fRnSWl.jpg

inky said:
6kDzN.jpg

Leucochloridium variae, common name brown-banded broodsac, is a species of a parasite that invades snails and makes their eye stalks swollen, pulsating and colourful.

This maggot-resembling feature attracts birds. The bird rips off the eye stalk and eats it and later on the parasite's egg is dropped with the bird's feces. Similar life-histories are found in most species in the genus Leucochloridium including Leucochloridium paradoxum.

The snail regenerates a replacement eye stalk, which also becomes infected by the parasite.

That is just... I mean... I have no words. :(

It's like some horrible snail hell.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Human sized wasps wouldn't work, mechanically speaking.
although it wasn't human-sized, i remember the extinct dragonfly 'meganeura' to have about a meter wingspan. a wasp that size would be terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom