• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy |OT| The end of an era! Crazy astrology plans!

I just really hope that if this is the final Layton game, it ends in grand style leaves me satisfied. :L

Though I really want to know whats up after Unwound Future's ending.

I think it's the second best game after Layton & the lost future, but don't expect it to top it. It's almost a shame they did such a good job in lost future, because made the following 3 games seem a bit worse in comparison.

4 and 5 were almost totally unnecessary plotwise in the long run(just like 1 & 2), and it's a shame. 3 & 6 actually had some implications for the main characters involved, which I find much more fulfilling.

I do suspect we will see another layton game (No "layton 7" doesn't count) in the future, but the series could do with a well deserved rest after 7 entries in as many years (Counting VS ace attorney, out this month in europe, wooo)

Oxx

All the names just run together at this point. I remember them based on the box colour.

Green one is the best.

OMG Aero

Azran Legacy's ending is certainly the closest Level 5 have got to the ending of Lost Future, but I don't think they are ever going to be able to top that.
The ending of that game was just so perfect.

Borman

So I went to Gamestop to pickup my preorder. I ordered online for $29.99 for store pickup. Have the order confirmation and everything. They tried charging me $39.99 at pickup. What the heck? Anyone have this problem?

duckroll

Picked the game up, haven't played yet. This thread looks pretty dead. What happened? Has the franchise really cratered?

Joqu

Picked the game up, haven't played yet. This thread looks pretty dead. What happened? Has the franchise really cratered?

Well the franchise doesn't appear to have ever been popular on GAF, a quick search shows that the Miracle Mask OT wasn't too lively either, but this is way worse in comparison. Probably a bit of both?

I still haven't picked it up myself and I'd call myself a Layton fan for what it's worth. :/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Probably.

There really isn't much to discuss anyway.

Yeah, this. I played most Laytons and never posted once in a Layton OT, there didnt seem any reason for it.

Peff

Well, it's one release short of matching Modern Warfare's yearly run, which is pretty crazy :p And with four of them being essentially the same game with new cutscenes it's not that surprising.

VegiHam

I find it kinda disappointing how little attention this fantastic game is getting, really. Step your game up America! Best Game
featuring a man named Professor Sycamore
of 2013!

Smellycat

I am still waiting to receive the game from Amazon. It was supposed to have been delivered yesterday. The online tracking tool still says "in transit". :/

Is it necessary to play the older games first before this? I'm interested in trying a Layton game, and would like to pick it up digitally.

Smellycat

Is it necessary to play the older games first before this? I'm interested in trying a Layton game, and would like to pick it up digitally.

It is probably for the best if you do. There are 6 games and a movie. The first 3 games are a trilogy, and the latest 3 games are part of a prequel trilogy (and the animated movie fits between the first game of the prequel and the second).

Doopliss

It's not really important. The story is just an excuse to travel around solving puzzles and the handful of plot twists they throw at you near the end are devoid of impact or meaning even with knowledge of the previous games.

Having said that, I would get Miracle Mask first as they're such similar packages and you'll spend a little less time confused about some of the side characters.

Currently at the beginning of Chapter 4. Layton music never really stood out for me, but this music for the Bostonius is one of the few exceptions. I can listen to it for hours.

Also, is Layton just unpopular on GAF? This is the final game in the series and it can barely muster up over 100 posts?

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished the game, ending spoilers ahoy.
I'm kind of bummed out by the Bronev is Layton's father reveal. I was hoping we'd get one pure evil asshole villain who gets no sympathy. Seems like every Layton villain has a sad story to tell. Bah. The Descole is Layton's big brother reveal gave me the feels though. He gave up his chance to be adopted by loving parents for his little brother! D'aww.

VegiHam

I'm kind of bummed out by the Bronev is Layton's father reveal. I was hoping we'd get one pure evil asshole villain who gets no sympathy. Seems like every Layton villain has a sad story to tell. Bah. The Descole is Layton's big brother reveal gave me the feels though. He gave up his chance to be adopted by loving parents for his little brother! D'aww.

Yeah, I agree with all of this
though I'm not actually that sympathetic towards Bronev. He spawned some cool offspring; but it's their adoptive families who made them awesome; Bronev's still just kinda evil.

Talon

Cracked this open over the weekend, and I'm enjoying the Layton Formula again.

Have to say that
shoot shit
sequence was pretty lame, but the 3D effect for the flight looks great.

duckroll

Need some help. Don't really want to use a guide but it's bugging me a lot and preventing me from progressing in the story.

I'm at the point after I collected all 5 eggs in the story. I have all the puzzles up until that point found and solved (112 I think). Completed all the World Times events. All the squirrel and garden minigame stages are unlocked. I've completed the dress up for all the characters EXCEPT the first one. I have every piece of clothing except one skirt which I need to complete dress up on the last character. I've looked everywhere. I tried to advance the story a little, so now I can go around to all the previous locations and get new puzzles from some screens. I've done a bunch so far and still no sign of the missing clothing piece. It almost feels like I missed it, but the cat says I haven't missed any puzzles!

Help! >_<

corn_fest

So, as a fan of the originals who was totally turned off by the linearity and simplicity of the prequel trilogy thus far, is this one any better?

Kazerei

Banned
Need some help. Don't really want to use a guide but it's bugging me a lot and preventing me from progressing in the story.

I'm at the point after I collected all 5 eggs in the story. I have all the puzzles up until that point found and solved (112 I think). Completed all the World Times events. All the squirrel and garden minigame stages are unlocked. I've completed the dress up for all the characters EXCEPT the first one. I have every piece of clothing except one skirt which I need to complete dress up on the last character. I've looked everywhere. I tried to advance the story a little, so now I can go around to all the previous locations and get new puzzles from some screens. I've done a bunch so far and still no sign of the missing clothing piece. It almost feels like I missed it, but the cat says I haven't missed any puzzles!

Help! >_<

I think you receive the clothing pieces in random order, because the last dress-up I completed was the 5th one. Keep progressing in the story I guess?

So, as a fan of the originals who was totally turned off by the linearity and simplicity of the prequel trilogy thus far, is this one any better?

It's still pretty linear and simple. There's a chapter where you go to 5 different places and solve mini-mysteries in each, and you can do that in any order, but that's the extent of the non-linearity.

Peff

Help! >_<

Clothing rewards are random-ish, it depends on the order in which you solve puzzles, but they're not missable. Either you missed a puzzle or it'll come up later.

hat_hair

. I've completed the dress up for all the characters EXCEPT the first one. I have every piece of clothing except one skirt which I need to complete dress up on the last character

I was missing that exact skirt until I completed a story puzzle a bit further in the game from where you are.

I actually just finished the game (at least the 150 base puzzles) this weekend.

It really felt like this one took advantage of the 3DS more so than Miracle Mask. The little animations after each puzzle just felt more impressive to me.
I also really liked the many varied locations instead of being restricted to one town.

I just need to finish the Gardening and Nut Rolling minigames and the Secret Door stuff, but I might save the daily puzzles until after I've cleared my 3DS backlog a bit more.

MrBadger

Massive spoilers ahoy:

I kind of think they bombard you with all these big reveals without really setting them up. Sycamore being Descole was set up and expected, since we're aware he's got a grudge on Targent and a fascination with the Azran, but unlike the other games that featured events from Layton's past like Miracle Mask and Lost Future, there's nothing that really leads up to the reveal that Bronev's his father, Descole's his brother and his real name is Theodore. Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but was it ever established that his father had abandoned him and he was adopted?

I did enjoy the game's ending, but I was kind of hoping it'd go in a different direction. Sycamore keeps mentioning that he once had a wife and child and that led me to believe those were the motivations behind his alias. But instead, it all ties into him being directly related to Layton and Bronev. I'd rather Sycamore be his real identity than for that and Descole to both be aliases.

For those reasons, I think this is my third favourite Layton, behind Lost Future and Miracle mask. I shamefully never finished Diabolical box, so I'm not sure where that'd fit in.

I'm playing this game. It's good, of course. I like that the movie is incorporated into the overall storyline of the series and wasn't just a throwaway.

Anyway, when I started this game the other day, it dawned on me how incredibly long I've been with these characters. Probably something like 150 hours over the past six years.

duckroll

Thanks guys! I really appreciate knowing that I didn't accidentally miss something because I was dumb. Lol.

I'm really, really digging this entry. It's still the same old Layton, but for the final entry, I love how they built several smaller individual stories into the adventure instead of just having it be one long singular mystery like the previous games. Makes the world feel much larger, which fits the "big adventure" tone they're going for this time.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I've had franchise fatigue for a while now. Last Specter was a struggle to finish. Having a hard time finishing Miracle Mask, after a year. Don't know if I'll actually pick this up. And I really want to love the franchise, just gets tiring fast since so little has changed.

Philia

I've finished this yesterday. I blew through a lot of puzzles. Thankfully there wasn't a whole lot of slider puzzles in this one.

And it still stands, Unwound Future remains my favorite of the series. Legit onion cutting on that one.

Miker

I've finished this yesterday. I blew through a lot of puzzles. Thankfully there wasn't a whole lot of slider puzzles in this one.

And it still stands, Unwound Future remains my favorite of the series. Legit onion cutting on that one.

Unwound Future - kenshirosingletear.jpg

My girlfriend enjoys the series and got me to play Unwound Future, which I loved, but then I got her Miracle Mask and it bored the hell out of her and I ended up selling it later. Sounds like this one is something of a return to form?

Kazerei

Banned
Massive spoilers ahoy:

I kind of think they bombard you with all these big reveals without really setting them up. Sycamore being Descole was set up and expected, since we're aware he's got a grudge on Targent and a fascination with the Azran, but unlike the other games that featured events from Layton's past like Miracle Mask and Lost Future, there's nothing that really leads up to the reveal that Bronev's his father, Descole's his brother and his real name is Theodore. Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but was it ever established that his father had abandoned him and he was adopted?

I did enjoy the game's ending, but I was kind of hoping it'd go in a different direction. Sycamore keeps mentioning that he once had a wife and child and that led me to believe those were the motivations behind his alias. But instead, it all ties into him being directly related to Layton and Bronev. I'd rather Sycamore be his real identity than for that and Descole to both be aliases.

For those reasons, I think this is my third favourite Layton, behind Lost Future and Miracle mask. I shamefully never finished Diabolical box, so I'm not sure where that'd fit in.

I believe it was established that Layton was adopted when we met his adoptive parents in Miracle Mask. But nothing was mentioned of his biological family until the reveal near the end of Azran Legacy. So I agree, that was poorly set up and came out of nowhere. And I forgot about Sycamore mentioning his wife and child. Bah.

Kazerei

Banned
Unwound Future - kenshirosingletear.jpg

My girlfriend enjoys the series and got me to play Unwound Future, which I loved, but then I got her Miracle Mask and it bored the hell out of her and I ended up selling it later. Sounds like this one is something of a return to form?

I'm going to say ... no. I think Azran Legacy has the best puzzles -- only a few of the stupid trick wording problems, a few of those damned sliding block puzzles, and mostly just math and geometry puzzles -- but the story is structured very differently. It's not the series' normal form.

Azran Legacy basically wraps up the series and answers the questions that lingered at the end of Miracle Mask; questions about Descole, Targent, and the Azran civilization. Along the way, you have to gather 5 Azran artifacts from 5 different locations, which involves solving 5 mini mysteries. The other Layton games are one continuous grand mystery, so if that's what you're hoping for, I'd suggest something else. Unwound Future totally had the best story.

OMG Aero

Massive spoilers ahoy:

It was mentioned in Spectre's Call that Descole knew Layton and had some sort of a grudge against him but Layton didn't know who he was, so there was a vague hint there that the person behind the mask was someone from Layton's past. I don't think there were any hints to them being brothers until the reveal in Azran Legacy though.

Kazerai says in the post above that Layton being adopted was in Miracle Mask, but I don't remember that at all and Layton seems to have a sudden realisation when Descole talks about his adoption as if it was something buried in his mind that he forgot about, so I'm not sure if that is something just revealed in this game or if I'm forgetting some dialogue in Miracle Mask.

As for Sycamore, I'm pretty sure that is Descole's real identity, in the same way that for all intents and purposes Layton's real identity is Hershal Layton and not Theodore Bronev. I can't recall where I read this (more likely than not it was in the bios you unlock for having a certain amount of picarats) but from my understanding when Descole finally was adopted it was by the Sycamore family and that's when he became Desmond Sycamore. He got on with his life (enough to be known as a respected researcher of the Azran by Layton at the start of the game) and I believe he did have a wife and child but lost them and this is what started off his plan for revenge and the Descole persona. It's never revealed what happened to his family, but Descole hints that it was due to Targent when Bronev is threatening Layton's parents and if he is telling the truth that would give him more motivation for starting his revenge against them then and not sooner.

Ending spoilers
Was anyone else kinda off put by how little Professor Layton reacted to all the family reveals? He kinda just accepts everything immediately and doesn't really emote on any of it. I'm not saying that he needs to break into tears like at the end of Unwound Future, but theres not too much about how Layton himself really feels about it all.

Anyways, great game. While nowhere near as good as Unwound Future, its at least a decent enough send off for the good professor.

MrBadger

Ending spoilers
Was anyone else kinda off put by how little Professor Layton reacted to all the family reveals? He kinda just accepts everything immediately and doesn't really emote on any of it. I'm not saying that he needs to break into tears like at the end of Unwound Future, but theres not too much about how Layton himself really feels about it all.

Anyways, great game. While nowhere near as good as Unwound Future, its at least a decent enough send off for the good professor.

I did think that final scene when he says "I could never call you father" to Bronev was a good tear jerker, but yeah. Layton just seems to take it as if it was expected, even though none of the game really lampshades his past, or family.

It was mentioned in Spectre's Call that Descole knew Layton and had some sort of a grudge against him but Layton didn't know who he was, so there was a vague hint there that the person behind the mask was someone from Layton's past. I don't think there were any hints to them being brothers until the reveal in Azran Legacy though.

Kazerai says in the post above that Layton being adopted was in Miracle Mask, but I don't remember that at all and Layton seems to have a sudden realisation when Descole talks about his adoption as if it was something buried in his mind that he forgot about, so I'm not sure if that is something just revealed in this game or if I'm forgetting some dialogue in Miracle Mask.

As for Sycamore, I'm pretty sure that is Descole's real identity, in the same way that for all intents and purposes Layton's real identity is Hershal Layton and not Theodore Bronev. I can't recall where I read this (more likely than not it was in the bios you unlock for having a certain amount of picarats) but from my understanding when Descole finally was adopted it was by the Sycamore family and that's when he became Desmond Sycamore. He got on with his life (enough to be known as a respected researcher of the Azran by Layton at the start of the game) and I believe he did have a wife and child but lost them and this is what started off his plan for revenge and the Descole persona. It's never revealed what happened to his family, but Descole hints that it was due to Targent when Bronev is threatening Layton's parents and if he is telling the truth that would give him more motivation for starting his revenge against them then and not sooner.

Ahh right, I guess all the juicy bits of plot that I'm after are explained in the bonuses that I've not looked at yet. But I still can't help but notice that it never really shows Sycamore just as Descole. Even in that final scene, it avoids showing us his face without his mask on, and his personality's totally different.

duckroll

I beat the game yesterday. It was a pretty good ride. The story towards the end was pretty bad I felt, and step down from most of the games. The animated cutscenes were nice though. I loved that Descole sword fight. In the end, I'm still pretty glad that the series is more or less over, because I'm not really sure how much more excited I can be for the games on a yearly basis.

Ending spoilers

His reaction to the reveals were good because that's exactly how I think most players would feel. They're random retcon nonsense which really adds nothing to the overall story other than trying to artificially make everything feel "connected" to Layton. It's the lamest sort of prequel writing we can expect. He didn't react to it because he didn't care. Just like how I didn't care. Lol.

Ludist210

Near the end of Chapter 4 now. Not sure how much I have left, but I've solved 107/107 of the puzzles that I've found thus far. Some tricky, but most were pretty easy to go through since I've played the previous titles in the series. Looking forward to wrapping it up soon!

mrkgoo

Cross posting because this is the proper thread, I guess.

This is on clearance here for 65% off retail.

I only played the first game - thought it was great and got the second but found I sort of felt I had enough with the first.

Are the 3ds entries and this one in particular a lot better or just more of the same?

MrBadger

Cross posting because this is the proper thread, I guess.

This is on clearance here for 65% off retail.

I only played the first game - thought it was great and got the second but found I sort of felt I had enough with the first.

Are the 3ds entries and this one in particular a lot better or just more of the same?

More of the same to be honest, however the visuals and some of the puzzles make use of the 3DS hardware. If you're going to play another Layton, I'd recommend Lost Future over anything else. I think most people are in agreement that it's the best.

Funnily enough, the second one was the only one that I just didn't feel motivated enough to finish. The third one's more than worth it for its storytelling and ending, however.

mrkgoo

More of the same to be honest, however the visuals and some of the puzzles make use of the 3DS hardware. If you're going to play another Layton, I'd recommend Lost Future over anything else. I think most people are in agreement that it's the best.

Funnily enough, the second one was the only one that I just didn't feel motivated enough to finish. The third one's more than worth it for its storytelling and ending, however.

Thanks.

But lost future is not on clearance here and I thought is see how far the presentation has come for the 3DS.

I don't really care for the story so much, but does a game like Azran Legacy just looks simply amazing compared to something like lost future?

Managed to beat it tonight.

Hints about Layton's past in previous games.
In one of the flashback sequences in Miracle Mask we hear about strange men (presumably Targent) going to Layton's home looking for him. Since Bronev was always aware that Layton was his son it makes sense that he may have wanted to retrieve him - but if so why did he give up in the time between then and the Last Specter? Descole being Layton's brother was obvious in the trailers for this entry. Maybe we were supposed to think that Descole and Bronev were related when at the end of Miracle Mask him and Raymond escaped Bronev just before he pulled off Descole's mask.

I thought it was interesting how the structure of the game was different from previous ones. I think I like the central location and one larger mystery more than several smaller ones. They probably could have made the Hillside and Walled City locations interesting enough to have their own games if they really wanted to. The focus on the (ending spoilers)
Layton family tree was interesting despite some oddness. The cutscene at the end was great ("You are mistaken. My name is Hershel Layton") and I think that explains why Layton didn't act surprised during Bronev's reveal.
It was still really enjoyable even though I think movie + prequel trilogy are strange in that they require a larger suspension of disbelief than the original trilogy. Music was amazing as always. The Layton games never disappoint.

I was REALLY impressed with the backgrounds. Were they massively improved since the Miracle Mask or did I just not notice until now?

duckroll

I was REALLY impressed with the backgrounds. Were they massively improved since the Miracle Mask or did I just not notice until now?

Not just you I think. I was really impressed too. They used the 3D nature of the backgrounds really well, and the panoramic views for a number of them were really impressive. The texturing used sticks much closer to the hand drawn style of the art direction too. Great stuff.

MrBadger

Thanks.

But lost future is not on clearance here and I thought is see how far the presentation has come for the 3DS.

I don't really care for the story so much, but does a game like Azran Legacy just looks simply amazing compared to something like lost future?

Well in terms of backgrounds, yes. Azran Legacy's biggest strength, I find, is its scenery. It's really nice to look at and pretty diverse in terms of environments. While I personally prefer 2D art for the characters, the 3D models in Azran Legacy are fully animated as opposed to being still. And they do look pretty good. All of the games are as good as each other when it comes to the animated cutscenes, though.

Yeah, the backgrounds did look great in this game, but I remember being really impressed by my first impressions Monte Do'r at night as well. This game has a lot more different environments though, so there's that.

Stopdoor

Just finished the game and want to talk plot. I know it's mostly not a series renowned for it, but it was definitely a letdown.

All the Sycamore/family relation stuff has been mentioned already, but man, are the Azran the dumbest ancient civilization or what? Their demise simply boiled down to "we can't build robots right" that humans would have seen coming decades and decades before - and so they lock them up magically...

and then leave a huge trail while being really vague about what it even is they're hiding. The Azran Legacy! Come find it! Come find our killer robot death trap! Why are we leaving you a killer robot death trap? I dunno.

"Men are still fools" - apparently each person going after the Azran Legacy thought it was something great and would help lots of people (even Bronev? who last game was talking 'world domination'), but no, the Azran decide nice people should be rewarded with killer robots... just because.

Just finished it.

I have to say I wasn't fond of the whole travelling around the world to get the eggs. Especially the one where they had to make the chief laugh. Come on, just explain to them that the world is in peril!
Or the one where the egg was passed from person to person on the island. It's not much of a secret seeing as EVERYBODY knew what the pattern was.

But in typical Layton style the ending wins me over.

Spoilers ahoy.

Emmy! I was legit scared when Emmy took Luke Hostage. That surprised me majorly. The whole time I was in disbelief and was like, "This isn't happening. Not like this. No. Not Emmy!"
I'm still not 100% on her motivation though. Sure Bronov helped her and raised her but come on. Unleashing killer robots upon the world? If she didn't take Luke in the first place none of that would have happened.

The reveal that Descole was Layton's brother kinda annoyed me. It was very much a case of 'so what'. But then that flashback happened (that Layton somehow completely forgot about) revealing that Descole gave up his chance for adoption so his little brother could live a better life. That got me right in the feels.

And then they revealed Bronov was the father (at this point I was trying to figure out if Emmy was related to Layton) and again I was very much like, 'so what?'. The flashback happened and still I was very much 'so what.'
But then that scene where Bronov was being taken away by the police and he says to Layton, "Theodore Bronev. That's your real name." and Layton replies, "I believe you are mistaken. My name is Hershel Layton."
And that whole spiel about not accepting him as a father but he hoped they could meet as friends. I think that made it worth it to me. So good.

And the very ending with the letter! Full circle man! It was brilliant.
But yes, not as brilliant as Unwound Future, that ending can't be topped, but still good in its own right.

List time! For best ending, because let's face it. That's the best bit about Layton games.

1. Unwound Future
2. Azran Legacy
3. Last Specter
4. Curious Village
5. Miracle Mask
6. Diabolical Box

Just beat the game and Fuck

Everyone is related, descole is his brother and bronev his father , emmy is his "cousin", but nothing hit me as hard as the Aurora being a Golem thing, i was quite angry for a while too, because if bronev hadnt released the legacy, aurora wouldnt had to die, and her lookalike with the baby doesnt make sense. but the animated scene at the end , that hinted to the Curious Village was great,

Level 5 still has that charm and magic, now i really want Fantasy Life localized

M3d10n

I just got to London, so I'm avoiding all the spoilers for now. Damn, these 3D backgrounds are really something and the music... I'm just here listening to the updated Gressenheller University music loop over and over, lol.

Top Bottom