• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

GSR

laytonottop.png

Brush off your top hats and pull out your picarats, gentlemen. Professor Layton has returned for a fourth outing, this time a prequel set before Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

Developer: Level-5
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Gentlemanly puzzle solving
Release dates:
North America: October 17, 2011
Europe: November 25, 2011
Australia: December 2011 (NA version)

6vhq2.png

Three years before Professor Hershel Layton took on the case of the curious village, he spent his days at Gressenheller University peacefully, teaching his students and continuing his research. Things changed one day when he received a letter from his old friend, Clark Triton, asking him to help solve a mystery plaguing Triton's town. With assistant Emmy Altava in tow, Layton set off to Misthallery, unaware the mystery there would lead him to an otherworldly specter, the mysterious Jean Descole, and Clark's son Luke...

cRPYX.png

Professor Hershel Layton has been a professor of archaeology at Gressenheller University since the age of 27. Always a perfect gentleman, Layton is never able to resist a puzzle, and has a knack for solving mysteries that would make Sherlock Holmes proud.

Luke Triton is the son of Misthallery's mayor Clark. Though he longs to travel the world and go on adventures like Professor Layton, he seems somewhat more dour these days.

Emmy Altava is all too happy to play the role of Professor Layton's assistant. Energetic and outspoken, she's always carrying a camera and an itch for adventure.

HjuNi.png

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9948ocF3p7k
Screenshots:
eJNyC.jpg
k5n04.jpg
hRzJW.jpg
m82ZS.jpg
Xww9m.jpg
jgMto.jpg

As Professor Layton, you'll explore the town of Misthallery by tapping from screen to screen, examining anything suspicious, and having chats with the townsfolk. Regardless of what you do, you're sure to run into a puzzle sooner or later - more than 150 of them, in fact. How to solve them? That one's up to you! (Just hope you don't run into any chocolate cellphones...)

When not pondering how you've gotten nowhere in 600 moves on this sliding puzzle, you can also take part in three new minigames stored in the Professor's Trunk - or, if you're playing an American version of the game, you can experience

Wn0Je.png

Let's take care of the elephant in the room first: Professor Layton's London Life is only available in the NA release of the game. A bit of a kick in the nuts to our European members, but there isn't much to be done about it short of importing. Australian players are a little more lucky, as the version released there will be the American version.

For those of you able to play it one way or another, London Life is an Animal Crossing-esque RPG present on the Last Specter cartridge available from the start. Developed by Brownie Brown, the creators of Mother 3, the game boasts over 100 hours of gameplay, in which you'll travel around London, interacting with a number of familiar faces.

aG6qD.png

Nintendo Power: 8.5/10

GameRevolution: B+
"Professor Layton and The Last Specter doesn't mess with what has made the series popular. The charm, colorful art, orchestral soundtrack, and of course the puzzles remain intact."

GameTrailers: 8.6/10
"The Layton series has held up remarkably well over the years, and The Last Specter is no exception, but that’s not to say Professor Layton isn’t getting a bit long in the tooth. The next installment will need some innovations lest the series run the risk of stagnating. That being said, those who crave a suspenseful tale with well-crafted mysteries to solve can't go wrong here."

Joystiq: 4/5
"[London Life] earns a lot of goodwill with me, as it ensures way more replayability than the usual weekly puzzle downloads. Combined with the expertly crafted ambience of Misthallery (and the accordion-rich soundtrack, which is excellent), and the storyline, which, God help me, I enjoyed, it isn't that difficult to recommend Last Specter. In fact, being a narrative prequel -- and a generally good Layton game, this seems like an ideal starting point."

1UP: A-
"By and large, Specter's tale is about what you'd expect based on the previous games: A slightly silly, sometimes overly precious story that takes forays into improbable fantasy completely with shadowy figures plotting and cackling. The characters are completely likable, especially the spunky Emmy, and the puzzles start baby-gentle and eventually become soul-crushingly hard. It's a success, but it doesn't break an inch of new ground."

IGN: 9/10
"From top to bottom, this is the most expertly put-together Layton game in the series. From the gripping, touching story to the challenging puzzles to the insane amount of extras - this is inarguably the definitive Layton experience. Even if you missed the Layton boat the first three times, as a prequel Last Specter marks an ideal place for newcomers to jump in. All DS and 3DS owners should take it upon themselves to play this game."

Cubed3: 9/10
"Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call (or Professor Layton and the Last Specter in the US), is easily right up there with the other three games, following on nicely from last year’s final part of the original trilogy, Professor Layton and the Lost Future. The only drawback is that there seems to be more repetition of puzzle types in this fourth outing, and as the start of a new trilogy, the story does not grip players quite as much as the enthralling climax in the previous release. The Spectre’s Call is definitely the second best out of the four entries in the Professor Layton series so far, though, and a fantastic treat just in time for the holiday period."

Salsa

MY XL GOT A DUST PARTICLE UNDER THE SCREEN JUST BEFORE THIS COMES OUT *CRIES*

with that out of the way, guess i'll endure and play with this dreadful worse-than-a-dead-pixel-thing anyway.

at least my desk is ready

9Szot.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Those sprites... Brownie Brown... 100 Hours... HNNNGGG

Can't wait, already pre-imported

GSR

Smellycat said:
Day 1

I can't get enough of professor Layton games

Likewise. My roommate and I have tons of fun swapping back and forth whenever a new one comes out. It's neat to see who can solve what kind of puzzle easily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
OH YEAH. Can't wait for this. (Layton can be for ladies too...)

I kind of like taking Layton to classes or work because other people like getting in on the puzzle-solving fun. But the thing I'm looking forward to the most is London Life!

Ratrat

forgot I was playing this. Its rather boring and I actually think some of the charm the series originally had is gone.

RedSwirl

God damnit does this come out soon?! I own the second and third games but have finished neither. Haven't even started the third.

MLH

Wooo, I'll be joining the party soon! VG+ shipped my pre-order yesterday, so I guess it'll take a week or so to arrive in the UK. (Screw NOE this time).

Will most definately pick up at launch. Speaking of Layton, anyone else going to tonight's NYCC screening of Eternal Diva?

This fellow told me of such an event with good vigor.

nUixql.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Day one. I would have got the US version anyway because of the better Luke voice, but London Life is the icing on the cake.

Shiggy

Hyperfludd said:
Will most definately pick up at launch. Speaking of Layton, anyone else going to tonight's NYCC screening of Eternal Diva?

Watched it on TV last year (it aired shortly after its European DVD release) and well, the movie is pretty bad. That might be the reason why we haven't heard about a second movie.

Sadist

Finished The Lost Future last wedneday. It's amazing.

Now I'll have to think about importing this game from the US. London Life sounds pretty neat.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I need to catch up. I don't have any of the previous games, despite having played them all for a couple of minutes each on a friend's DS.

I'll probably pick this one up first because I need my Brownie Brown fix.

Wait, what is NoA striking back with? An add on Animal Crossing-lite Layton RPG versus 3 fullfledge JRPG's, one of which is considered one of the best JRPG's this gen?

I love the games but the stories are bit too far-fetched for my liking. I would have preferred a more low-key and realistic mystery story in each game than the madness that unravels by the end of each one. Still planning on buying this, and I'm especially looking forward to London Life.

marjo

In honour of tomorrow's release, here's a little puzzle to get everyone warmed up:

"I was buying some presents for an old friend I hadn't seen in ages whom I was about to visit. I knew that my friend had 2 children, and I remembered that one of them was a boy, but I couldn't remember what the other one was. My good friend, Professor smartypants, who was with me offered some sage advice."

Did Professor smarty pants say:

1. The other child is most likely another boy
2. Chances are the other child is a girl
3. There's a 50/50 chane that the other child is either gender

This game has one of the coolest ads I have ever seen.

I was watching Community on Hulu and it gave me the option to beat a Professor Layton puzzle instead of having the commercials.

JeTmAn81

padlock said:
In honour of tomorrow's release, here's a little puzzle to get everyone warmed up:

"I was buying some presents for an old friend I hadn't seen in ages whom I was about to visit. I knew that my friend had 2 children, and I remembered that one of them was a boy, but I couldn't remember what the other one was. My good friend, Professor smartypants, who was with me offered some sage advice."

Looking for the catch here, but I think it's #3.

Anyway, I am hyped for Layton 4. I have played through all of the other games and watched the movie. Definitely a Laytonphile. Can't wait!

Rarutos

Kind of want at least for London Life. I have the other three games though, so I don't see why I wouldn't get this one eventually. :)

MarkusRJR

I've been looking to get into this series since March but there are literally no copies of the first Layton where I live. I think it might even be out of print. I would've bought it online but I've had really bad experiences with getting fake copies of DS games.

Anyway, today I went to my local future shop and found this single lone copy of the first game in the back of their "bargain bin". The label was yellow-tinted and half torn off. I feel like I just found some hidden lost treasure. Now I only need to get the rest of the games! :D

Boney

Banned
padlock said:

it's 2 right?

not much helpful though haha

Gravijah

padlock said:

i think it's 1.

Top Bottom