• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

I'm not going to lie, I'm finding this Layton game incredibly enjoyable.

They are all great games!

I played through the first three on my DS Phat. I bought a DSi XL just to play the 4th game. (And Picross 3D).

[Actually, Lautrec for 3DS seems to be getting decent reviews as well. I don't think there is an OT for that?]

Oxx

I attempted to power through to the end last night but I was halted at about 1AM.

Hopefully I can get it finished today. There's a good sense of momentum to the story right now and I would probably be slightly disappointed if it went off at a tangent for another 5 hours.

Wizpig

Story is getting interesting after a very slow start.

If i had to rank the games up until now (story wise and, er, "gameplay" wise) i'd say: 3-2-4-1

Wizpig

What a twist during my time with the game yesterday.

We are approaching a "almost as good as the third one" status for this Layton.
But 2 had a train so it's still barely more awesome.

Oxx

I thought the train location in 2 had a lot of potential, but the other places that they visited were dreary and boring.

Wizpig

I liked the locations in Layton 2, especially the final one!

I always forget to ask this: in London Life there's a quest (special quest, for that day only) that wants me to catch a little thief in town or something.
I don't know what the heck i should do, it's night in-game already :(

Creid, can you help me?

Oxx

Finished.

The ending didn't quite live-up to the unravelling of the mystery, but at least it was relatively restrained after the excesses of the previous two games.

Now I have to watch the movie again to see some of the stuff in a different light.

Wizpig

Thanks, i'll check, i don't remember the quest name.

I'm also stuck on a puzzle in the main game, goddamn is it frustrating.
You have to cover a broken window with some wood panels.

Oxx

Moreso than in any of the previous games I didn't hang around when it came to tricky puzzles. I think I used over a hundred hint coins and I Youtubed a handful of ones where I was completely lost.

Wizpig

After chapter 8 or so i think about 7+ puzzles were sent to Keats... i don't know how the heck did i miss so many.

At least one is because i didn't go back to the hotel, i'm sure of that.

Right, I just finished this game earlier today and feel as if I got stupider over the time period between the third Layton game and this one, the puzzles were cracking me into mental breakdowns half the time, I felt like I was in a war with the wording of more puzzles than usual and that the difficulty level was all over the place (i'm looking at you Rocket sliding puzzle with the big orange ball, this was an early game puzzle?!).
The plot took forever to get going and when it finally did it was still weaker than the previous outings. The music was great though and Emmy was an enjoyable new character.
It's still a solid outing but I think i'm suffering Layton fatigue from the rapid fire sequels since not much changes with each game.
I'm thinking that my order for the games goes 3>1>2=4.

What? 2 it's the BEST in the series.

I'm having trouble remembering much of it outside of the fat hamster minigame,
sword fighting a vampire who was in fact an old codger which makes me wonder how he and Layton actually had a dramatic sword fight in the first place and that everyone was baked on funky fumes that created some illusion town.
It's still good, i'll have to play the original trilogy again at some point to see how the first two in particular hold up.

Wizpig

Finished it... Professor Manly Tears.
I got something in my eye :')
So good.

Now to watch again the movie (masterpiece).
Too bad we don't have a version of the movie with Luke's US voice actress.

And too bad i'll have to buy Layton 5 in the EUROPEAN version.

Rankings:
Best game: Unwound Future
Second place: Last Specter / Diabolical Box
Third place: Curious Village

Layton clones, just stop even trying.

Oxx

I'm hoping that Layton 5 falls seamlessly into the annual Layton cycle.

That might be enough to get me to buy a 3DS.

Wizpig

I'm hoping that Layton 5 falls seamlessly into the annual Layton cycle.

That might be enough to get me to buy a 3DS.
Start buyin', because the answer (should be) yes.

JP February 26, 2011
NA TBA
EU 2012

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/get_ready_for_a_busy_2012_47077.html

Fan of puzzles? Missing your favourite professor? Fear not, as Professor Layton and his trusty companion, Luke, return in 2012 with the launch of Professor Layton 5*.
Set across two time periods, Luke and Professor Layton explore a mysterious town where strange happenings are taking place. Who is the Miracle Gentleman and why do people keep being transformed into horses and stone statues?

Mask_of_Miracles_cover.png

Here's hoping they change the cover.
Ok, it will be my first European Layton game, so i'll get those European covers i always hated, but i hope to see a cool US one too.

You know, not just the Professor... multiple times... as a sketch

Sorry for the bump, but I need recommendation and I dont wanna be one those guys who makes a recommendation thread, but I would like to get into the Layton games. Admitedly, Ive played Curios Village twice and both times I just couldnt get into it.

From what Ive seen of Last Specter, it seems to intrigue me. Would it be an okay "jump on" game? Or should I try Layton 2 or 3?

Busaiku

The Unwound Future is generally regarded as the best one, in terms of balance and story.
It's my favorite one for sure.

Though I'm still only about 1/3 into this.

A year and a half since the last bump, I don't really expect anyone to see this but just in case -- why is this game so expensive now? It's only 2 years old but I can't find it in stock anywhere and the ebay and vendor prices are all at least $40. Must have had a pretty low print run. Guess that's what I get for waiting. :/

Top Bottom