• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming |OT| C is better than C++! No, C++ is better than C

Slavik81

Strange, because I was going to primarily recommend it for C and C++, with not as strong of a recommendation for other languages like Java, Python, etc.

Why do you consider C as the exception? Visual C++ is free, installs with 0 understanding of a command shell, and will get someone up and running faster than any other platform. And the debugger is better than anything else on any platform too.
Unless they've dramatically improved it in a few years, it's labyrinth of configuration menus. apt-get and CMake significantly simplify the process of integrating other libraries.

Though, admittedly Qt Creator is also on Windows and has (had?) a much better user interface.

The one you're most comfortable using. Ubuntu is the easiest distro to get into and Linux is a great place to learn to program so I'd tip my hat to that direction.
I agree most with this. Ubuntu is nice, but there is also a lot of value in learning on a platform that you already know.

Unless they've dramatically improved it in a few years, it's labyrinth of configuration menus. apt-get and CMake significantly simplify the process of integrating other libraries.

Though, admittedly Qt Creator is also on Windows and has (had?) a much better user interface.

In most cases, and especially when starting out, you never have to look at the menus. On the other hand, if you like CMake, you can have it generate you a visual studio project. Using Qt Creator kills one of the best things about visual studio, which is its debugger. And can QtCreator use cl, or does it require a MinGW toolchain?

I actually like the menus though, they're pretty easy to use once you get used to them and for complex projects i find a UI based approach to settings easier to manage than a make or cmake like approach. You can click any file in your solution and it shows exactly what the full command line will be, makes it very easy to make sense of how your project is built. Just my opinion though.

What does errno say? You could also try stracing your program.

This:
Code:
if(rename(directory_buffer, "/tmp/personal_file.txt") == -1) {
		printf("%s\n", strerror(errno));
Prints this:
Code:
Invalid cross-device link

EDIT: Bear in mind, this is on a local machine and all data is on one hard drive.

This:
Code:
if(rename(directory_buffer, "/tmp/personal_file.txt") == -1) {
		printf("%sn", strerror(errno));
Prints this:
Code:
Invalid cross-device link

EDIT: Bear in mind, this is on a local machine and all data is on one hard drive.

Google that error message, first result seems like it might be relevant and offers some diagnostics to try

Tl;dr is that the source file is probably on a different partition nd you can't hardlink across partitions

Slavik81

In most cases, and especially when starting out, you never have to look at the menus. On the other hand, if you like CMake, you can have it generate you a visual studio project. Using Qt Creator kills one of the best things about visual studio, which is its debugger. And can QtCreator use cl, or does it require a MinGW toolchain?
Yeah, it can use cl, IIRC. I thought the debugger front-end was pretty nice, too. Though, I only used it a few times.

Google that error message, first result seems like it might be relevant and offers some diagnostics to try

I'm searching through Google, but to answer the first result (the UNIX stackexchange?) my whole system is on one partition and rename() isn't working on a file that's either a hard or soft link.

QtCreator will work with clang or cl.exe or whatever.

That said, recent versions of Visual Studio are very impressive, so if you have the $$$ for the properly supported version (and are already using windows), it's probably a good idea to use it.

Still, QtCreator is great

Yeah, it can use cl, IIRC. I thought the debugger front-end was pretty nice, too. Though, I only used it a few times.

Fwiw I've never used QtCreator. I've heard good things about it, and have been meaning to try. as long as it can use CL, has no dependency on mingw or cygwin, and understands PDB files it gets my seal of approval.

There are a few things about Visual Studio that annoy me, but the debugging experience is so rock solid I've never been compelled to change.

That said, recent versions of Visual Studio are very impressive, so if you have the $$$ for the properly supported version (and are already using windows), it's probably a good idea to use it.

BTW, the Community Edition is free for personal use. There used to be some differences between Express and Professional, but with the introduction of Community Edition, it's literally exactly the same as Pro, but with a different license.

Doesn't help corporate users who still need to shell out $ for Professional or higher, but for personal use, it's basically free.

0xCA2

Just got a phone interview at my school's research lab for a Software Intern position. Does anyone have any tips? This would be my first phone interview in software development and my second phone interview period.

I really don't want to fuck this up. I'm going to try to ask my professor or TA if we can do a mock interview.

Just got a phone interview at my school's research lab for a Software Intern position. Does anyone have any tips? This would be my first phone interview in software development and my second phone interview period.

I really don't want to fuck this up. I'm going to try to ask my professor or TA if we can do a mock interview.

At the level you're interviewing for, I suspect you'll get language trivia questions. See if you can find out what programming language they use most, and brush on the basics. For example, if it's C++, you would want to be able to answer questions like:

1. What's the difference between const char* foo and char *const foo
  2. What does mutable do
  3. What is the difference between public, private, and protected
  4. What is a virtual function

Maybe also some data structures questions, but not too difficult. Like "what's a hash table?" or "when would you use a linked list as opposed to an array?"

etc. You probably won't get any real surprises for a position at this level. If it's for another language (Java would be the next most likely), then brush up on similar topics from that language.

Edit: Also you said it's your schools research lab. Is it a computer science research lab? If it's some other field, like chemistry or biology, then I assume you would need to know the fundamentals of that particular subject.

0xCA2

They say they are potentially looking for a bunch of languages:
-Java
-Flash
-Flex
-D3
-C, C3, C++
-SQL
-Linux
-iOS
-Android
-Django
-Python

The only language I put on my resume that's included on the list is Java, so I'll just brush up on Java stuff.

Also, it's an R&D lab specifically for transportation technology. From what I've read from other people who've done internships there, you just need programming knowledge. The labs around school are known to pick up student interns to do lower level programming tasks. I think I should be good, but I will research what they do in preparation for the interview.

They say it will be a 30 minute interview. What kind of non-programming questions can I expect?

So on Monday, I started my new job as a javascript developer. Node.js and express. First time really working in the language and while callbacks are still confusing, I really don't think js is as bad as people say. Having fun learning so far.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So on Monday, I started my new job as a javascript developer. Node.js and express. First time really working in the language and while callbacks are still confusing, I really don't think js is as bad as people say. Having fun learning so far.

Lucky!

You should read JavaScript: The Good Parts, but take it with a huge grain of salt. It gives you a good overview of what's good and bad about JavaScript and what to avoid, but Crockford's proposed fixes usually aren't any better.

Water

I have the feeling that JS might be a bit like C++ in the sense that it has awful traps to fall into, but once you get very comfortable with the language, have the intuition and practiced habits to avoid the problems most of the time, and have gotten used to the occasional ugliness, there's a lot of expressive power on tap and you could grow to like the language.

(I haven't written more than 2-3kLOC of JS so I could be completely off base here... but if I'm right, I figure it'd take at least a couple of months of heavy use before I might start honestly liking JS. Sure didn't happen overnight with C++.)

Kalnos

Banned
Javascript isn't that bad (I primarily use it at work as well) but the amount of library/frameworks and how quickly/drastically they change is a problem for many I think. Just look at the blowback for Angular 2.0.

Granadier

I have the feeling that JS might be a bit like C++ in the sense that it has awful traps to fall into, but once you get very comfortable with the language, have the intuition and practiced habits to avoid the problems most of the time, and have gotten used to the occasional ugliness, there's a lot of expressive power on tap and you could grow to like the language.

(I haven't written more than 2-3kLOC of JS so I could be completely off base here... but if I'm right, I figure it'd take at least a couple of months of heavy use before I might start honestly liking JS. Sure didn't happen overnight with C++.)

You are correct in this. There's tons of pitfalls that can cause really weird results. But once you become more familiar with the language and how it handles things it starts to become a very powerful tool.

For example, this bug within JS. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...hy-is-019-020?newsletter=1&nlcode=272754|0718

Essentially sometimes the automatic type inference within JS can backfire. In this case some implementations of JS cause the number 020 to be interpreted as a an octal since the number starts with 0 and the number after 0 is less than 8. Weird little quirk.

survivor

Banned
Some of the ES6 features for Javascript are making the language a bit more saner. Although admittedly there are some that I don't quite get how to use like generators or proxies. Will be interesting to see how long it will take before majority of code posted online adopts ES6 way of doing things.

Granadier

Some of the ES6 features for Javascript are making the language a bit more saner. Although admittedly there are some that I don't quite get how to use like generators or proxies. Will be interesting to see how long it will take before majority of code posted online adopts ES6 way of doing things.

It does look like it's going to have some fantastic features.

There is a project available now that transpiles ES6 into ES5 so you can start using the new features right now. https://6to5.org/
Code:
npm install -g 6to5

Aah, similar position... Interviewing for a JS developer position, primarily node, for a software company that I currently work at doing front-end web development. The manager of the group pushed hard for me to apply for the position, but I've had ~5 one on ones so far, and I really struggled through some of the coding challenges they gave me in the interviews. Got one final interview today.

Good luck at the new job.

Can someone help me with some Objective C / Plist issues? This is the Root.plist in the Settings Bundle for an iOS app I'm tinkering with:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PreferenceSpecifiers</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>PSGroupSpecifier</string>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Music &amp; Voice</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>PSToggleSwitchSpecifier</string>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Enable Music</string>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>enableMusic</string>
			<key>DefaultValue</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>File</key>
			<string>SongSelection</string>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>PSChildPaneSpecifier</string>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Song Selection</string>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>SongSelectionPane</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Type</key>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Voice Samples</string>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>enableVoice</string>
			<key>DefaultValue</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Visual Effects</string>
			<key>Type</key>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Type</key>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Reduce Motion</string>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>disableParallax</string>
			<key>DefaultValue</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>File</key>
			<string>CharacterSelection</string>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>PSChildPaneSpecifier</string>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Character Selection</string>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>CharacterSelectionPane</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Secret</string>
			<key>Type</key>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>AutocapitalizationType</key>
			<string>None</string>
			<key>AutocorrectionType</key>
			<string>No</string>
			<key>DefaultValue</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IsSecure</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Key</key>
			<string>Secret_Passcode</string>
			<key>KeyboardType</key>
			<string>NumberPad</string>
			<key>Title</key>
			<string>Passcode</string>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>PSTextFieldSpecifier</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
	<key>StringsTable</key>
	<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The problem I'm having is that on the phone, everything that should be defaulted to enabled, such as "Enable Music", is displayed as off. So, I figured when I launch the app I should write them myself, so I did this in the App Delegate:

Code:
- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions
{
NSUserDefaults *defaults = [NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults];
    if([defaults objectForKey:@"enableMusic"] == nil)
    {
        [defaults setValue:@"YES" forKey:@"enableMusic"];
    }
}

But, this isn't updating anything, and if you then reopen the Settings menu on the iPhone, it is still disabled. And, it's not just 1 item in the plist, it's everything. Am I doing something basic wrong? Did I make a typo in the plist that is causing the problem?

That certainly has not been my experience. Integrating libraries in VS is dead-easy and if you don't know how to do that, perhaps you haven't tried very hard? Once you've done it a couple times, it gets extremely easy to do and honestly I don't even really think about that portion of the process at all.

I know you can have CMake create a VS solution, but haven't played with it much. Does it also create a filter file to organize the files in the VS project tree according to your project directory structure? I'd hate to blindly walk into an unorganized VS solution with thousands of files in one big, unorganized (other than alphabetical, I guess) list. That btw, is one of my big pet peeves with Visual Studio. Mirror the fucking directory structure FFS. Allow people to optionally specify their own filter files or something if they want to be bat-shit crazy and ignore actual folder structures, but mirror the fucking directory structure by default. (NOTE: If there is an option to do this, I'm all ears.)

As for the linux/windows programming discussion going on, king makes a good point. A very significant amount of my time spent on a project that is non-trivial will be in the debugger, and the debugger in VS is much better than anything else I've ever used (gdb with and without gui front-ends, lldb, eclipse for Java projects) from a speed/ease-of-use standpoint. Yes, you can learn gdb and become very competent at it. It is an able debugger with nice features and there are some gui front-ends for it if you don't want to learn the keybindings for using it on the command line, but I've seen nothing out there that compares to the VS debugger experience. I don't get to use VS at work, and damn do I miss it. I would probably be more productive if I could use Visual Studio (intellisense + the VS debugger).

Instead, I am primarily on the command line at work, which I actually like to some degree - the linux command line is pretty great and I feel a bit handicapped without it on Windows - cygwin is a decent substitute but it can be finicky. For an editor, I use emacs with autocomplete + yas + irony-mode with company-mode backend. It's about as good as it gets for emacs, and it's dogshit slow on anything but the smallest code-base. When I want autocompletion options because I don't quite remember the functions associated with a class (but a name would jog my memory enough to use it), I basically write out the instance name, and then a period (or the dereference operator if it's a pointer to an instance), and wait 3-7 seconds for the irony-mode autocompletion to get results (uses clang libs to accomplish this I believe).

I've tried using eclipse CDT - it does not handle our codebase well (and eclipse is pretty heavy and awful anyways, so not surprising) and in general is just slow and cumbersome.

QtCreator with gdb is totally reasonable. Not quite as good as the Visual Studio debugger, but good enough to do everything you need to. Unless we're talking direct3d stuff...

Eclipse CDT is horrible. Use code::blocks or something. (use QtCreator)

re: cmake. The visual studio project will reflect your cmake directory hierarchy. So if you have a silly flat file cmake structure, you'll have a VS project that way. But you probably don't, so you probably won't.

That certainly has not been my experience. Integrating libraries in VS is dead-easy and if you don't know how to do that, perhaps you haven't tried very hard? Once you've done it a couple times, it gets extremely easy to do and honestly I don't even really think about that portion of the process at all.
He may have been talking about open source libraries specifically. But the problem here is not Visual Studios fault, but the libraries fault for not providing a reasonable cross platform build system. I remember trying to compile OpenSSL on windows used to require perl, and my first thought was "fuck this garbage "

Mirror the fucking directory structure FFS. Allow people to optionally specify their own filter files or something if they want to be bat-shit crazy and ignore actual folder structures, but mirror the fucking directory structure by default
It's not an easy problem when you consider that the same file can be used in multiple projects, and a project (eg target) might pull in files from many different directories. That being said, VS 2015 has an option to create a solutionless project, which essentially scans your source tree and creates a matching hierarchy. But it has some limitations, since the settings hierarchy starts at the project level.

QtCreator with gdb is totally reasonable. Not quite as good as the Visual Studio debugger, but good enough to do everything you need to. Unless we're talking direct3d stuff...

Eclipse CDT is horrible. Use code::blocks or something. (use QtCreator)

re: cmake. The visual studio project will reflect your cmake directory hierarchy. So if you have a silly flat file cmake structure, you'll have a VS project that way. But you probably don't, so you probably won't.

And to add to this, there's some CMake commands that allow you to customize the visual studio folder layout.

XenodudeX

God I'm so fucking lost.

I'm trying to make a currency converter with Visual Basic 2012 for an assignment, and I don't even know where to begin. The assignment says that I have to make a program that converts USD into Euro, Canadian Dollar into British pound, and Mexican Peso into Brazil Real. This is my second programming class, so I'm still new at this. Is there anyone that can help or a website that I can go to read up about it?

God I'm so fucking lost.

I'm trying to make a currency converter with Visual Basic 2012 for an assignment, and I don't even know where to begin. The assignment says that I have to make a program that converts USD into Euro, Canadian Dollar into British pound, and Mexican Peso into Brazil Real. This is my second programming class, so I'm still new at this. Is there anyone that can help or a website that I can go to read up about it?

I don't think this is as hard as you believe it to be. The computation is taking a number, multiplying it by the conversion rate, and printing it to the screen.

The only thing to be concerned about is how you're going to handle input and output. How will you determine if it's a Peso or Canadian dollar? Will you filter the input for numbers and keywords?

leroidys

I don't think this is as hard as you believe it to be. The computation is taking a number, multiplying it by the conversion rate, and printing it to the screen.

The only thing to be concerned about is how you're going to handle input and output. How will you determine if it's a Peso or Canadian dollar? Will you filter the input for numbers and keywords?

They're using VB, so I'm assuming the teacher wants them to use a dropdown box or something.

Xenodude- Happy to help, but we probably need more information on what it is that you're having trouble understanding.

XenodudeX

They're using VB, so I'm assuming the teacher wants them to use a dropdown box or something.

Xenodude- Happy to help, but we probably need more information on what it is that you're having trouble understanding.

Capture.jpg

This is basically what the professor wants it to look like.

The idea is putting the value of the US,Canadian Dollar, and Mexican Peso and converting it onto their respective boxes.

So US Dollar ----> Euro

Canadian Dollar -----> Brit Pound

Mexican Peso -----> Brazil Real

Capture.jpg

The idea is putting the value of the US,Canadian Dollar, and Mexican Peso and converting it onto their respective boxes.

So US Dollar ----> Euro

Start by making the form in the form designer. This should be pretty straightforward.

Then write the code for the button click event handler. I'm probably not giving too much away by saying that's where all of your logic would be for this program.

Capture.jpg

So US Dollar ----> Euro

Do you have anything working? Do you have a window popping up with the text boxes and buttons in the correct locations for example?

After a few years of having bad jobs I took a year to go back to school and learn programming, web mostly (html, css, php, js). I'm struggling with the concept of objects oriented programming and model/view/controller. I know what that means but I lack examples of their use. It still has not ticked in my brain I was wondering if you know some tutorials/websites/videos that explains all this a bit better. Something you watched/read and it seems logical?

XenodudeX

Do you have anything working? Do you have a window popping up with the text boxes and buttons in the correct locations for example?

Yeah I got that part down.

This is what my design looks like.

Capture1.png

And this is the code that I have right now

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim USDollar, EuropeanEuro, CanadianDollar, MexicanPeso, BritishPound, BrazilReal As Double

EuropeanEuro = USDollar * 0.849299
BritishPound = CanadianDollar * 0.550503
BrazilReal = MexicanPeso * 0.180269

Now I just have to figure out how to display the amount into the text boxes...?

Now I just have to figure out how to display the amount into the text boxes...?

You also need to figure out how to read the values in the input text boxes. Before you do the calculations, you need to read in the USDollar, CanadianDollar, and MexicanPeso values from the text boxes.

But you're 99% of the way there. One thing to keep in mind is not to be afraid to experiment. Don't try to do everything all at once.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
After a few years of having bad jobs I took a year to go back to school and learn programming, web mostly (html, css, php, js). I'm struggling with the concept of objects oriented programming and model/view/controller. I know what that means but I lack examples of their use. It still has not ticked in my brain I was wondering if you know some tutorials/websites/videos that explains all this a bit better. Something you watched/read and it seems logical?

You might be different, but in my experience, what helps most is to actually try to solve problems in an object-oriented way. That doesn't mean you need to do a full project from beginning to end (although that does help too), but you can just go through some thought experiments.

A typical one is how would you create a class, or set of classes, that would model a parking garage? Start broadly, and then start getting more detailed. You'll naturally think of ways you can use subclassing, inheritance, etc.

You might be different, but in my experience, what helps most is to actually try to solve problems in an object-oriented way. That doesn't mean you need to do a full project from beginning to end (although that does help too), but you can just go through some thought experiments.

A typical one is how would you create a class, or set of classes, that would model a parking garage? Start broadly, and then start getting more detailed. You'll naturally think of ways you can use subclassing, inheritance, etc.

That sounds logic yes. Thanks for the tip, I'll try something like that. :)

XenodudeX

You also need to figure out how to read the values in the input text boxes. Before you do the calculations, you need to read in the USDollar, CanadianDollar, and MexicanPeso values from the text boxes.
Like this?
Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim USDollar, EuropeanEuro, CanadianDollar, MexicanPeso, BritishPound, BrazilReal As Double
USDollar = Val(TextBox1)
CanadianDollar = Val(TextBox3)
MexicanPeso = Val(TextBox5)
EuropeanEuro = USDollar * 0.849299
BritishPound = CanadianDollar * 0.550503
BrazilReal = MexicanPeso * 0.180269
TextBox2 = USDollar * 0.849299
TextBox4 = CanadianDollar * 0.550503
TextBox6 = MexicanPeso * 0.180269

edit: Doesn't work..

Like this?

edit: Doesn't work..

Take it a step at a time. First see if you can change the text in one of the textboxes in your Click handler. Then after you find out how that works, try to copy the text from one textbox to another in the handler. Then try converting the value to a number and set one of the textboxes to that number plus one.

I actually can't identify what the problem is from what you've said. Your code looks right to me. But if you just try to break down the problem into sub-problems and figure out how to solve each of them in turn, you should be able to find the answer yourself. That's pretty much what a lot of programming is like.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I tried looking online, but I haven't been able to stumble across a solution. I'm very, very new to Python and I'm learning while coding for this intern project I have been assigned to. I was web scraping data previously, and now, I'm trying to use a csv file to output the information.

The csv file contains a bunch of info (ObjectID, Boro, Type, Provider, Name, etc) and I'm trying to just grab three pieces of info (Name, Lat and Long). I have been able to grab the info that I need, but here is the problem: some of the info is missing a name and it shows up as a blank line in the output shell. I was wondering how I can skip any info that contains blank lines.

Edit- I'm using Python 2.7.

Here is the code that I am using:

Code:
import csv

with open ('NYC_Free_Public_WiFi_12052014.csv') as csvfile:
    reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
    for row in reader:
        print(row['Name'])
        print(eval(row['Lat']))
        print(eval(row['Long_']))
        print ('')

Here is (some) of the output:

BROWNSVILLE REC

BROWNSVILLE REC

There are 50+ pieces of info that are missing the name. Either skipping or putting a generic name would help tremendously. If someone help or point me in the right direction, I would love you forever. Thanks.

Top Bottom