• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive Scan... Not all it's cracked up to be?

TheDiave

Banned
Myself, I have a shitty old 1990's Sony Trinitron TV; A whopping 20" one. So I've never dabbled with using the component cables or running any games in progressive scan, but in all the threads about it on here, I've noticed one thing... The picture never spans across the entire screen. It's always some sort of framed crap.

Do these people's TV's just suck, or is that really what happens?

If so, who cares about using PS?

I don't understand... I've really never seen anyone post pictures from their TV showing games like that. The only reason I've ever had a game have any sort of "black frame" would be because it's utilizing some sort of widescreen technique.

I run all my games in progressive scan if they allow it and I've never had that issue.

Pro scan is all its cracked up to be, but unfortunately, depends heavily on the display you're using. Some games, however, just don't look better than they do when running in 480i.

It's because the people are running their games at 4:3 instead of 16:9. If the game doesn't support 16:9, running it at 16:9 will squish the game to make it fill the screen. (This is for 16:9 TVs)

Crazymoogle said:
This thread is confusing enough already, but let's get one thing straight here:

Progressive Scan != Widescreen

Thanks.

This man is right.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Crazymoogle said:
This thread is confusing enough already, but let's get one thing straight here:

Progressive Scan != Widescreen

Thanks.

If what you are saying is you need widescreen for progressive scan, that's incorrect. All my X Box games are in progressive scan on my 4:3 Wega, with no squishing or black bars of any kind.

Sounds like the poster needs to check his video settings on his X Box.

zmet

TheDiave, I just bought a Progressive Scan tv set two weeks ago and I'm loving it. The difference is night and day. I have all component hookups for all three of my systems - but the Xbox in progressive(on my tv set anyway) was kind of a disappointment, but there is a difference. Now the Gamecube in progressive looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going through Metroid Prime again just because of the visual clarity - and please don't get me started on how my dvd movies look in progressive.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It really depends on the display device. Most consumer devices aren't even calibrated properly. CRT projectors look wonderful when displaying gaming content for example. Plasmas sometimes do not.

Either way, I think the progressive option should be available in all games/systems.

But until we get over the 640x480 and under thing, the difference will not be that apparent to casuals.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
MattCoz said:
He's saying the complete opposite.

!= means NOT equals

Damn I'm behind on internet shorthand. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I will say again though that the original poster likely has incorrect settings in his X Box dashboard.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
zmet said:
TheDiave, I just bought a Progressive Scan tv set two weeks ago and I'm loving it. The difference is night and day. I have all component hookups for all three of my systems - but the Xbox in progressive(on my tv set anyway) was kind of a disappointment, but there is a difference. Now the Gamecube in progressive looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going through Metroid Prime again just because of the visual clarity - and please don't get me started on how my dvd movies look in progressive.

That's funny because my experience was the ooposite. I liked the X Box better than the cube. To each his own.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
shantyman said:
Damn I'm behind on internet shorthand. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I will say again though that the original poster likely has incorrect settings in his X Box dashboard.

To be fair, that's actually a mathmatical symbol. Kids these days - they must be sleeping through Algebra I. ;)

It depends on the game and TV. In some cases the difference is huge.

Progressive DVD playback on the 42" ED Plasma Panasonic at work blows everything else in the store away. In interlaced mode it looks like shit.

Dilbert

tedtropy said:
To be fair, that's actually a mathmatical symbol. Kids these days - they must be sleeping through Algebra I. ;)
Actually...it's not the mathematical symbol for "not equal to," which is an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it. The notation != is used in computer programming -- C and C++ come to mind, and probably in other languages as well.

Top Bottom