• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project: Beat! (Fan-made Jet Set Radio Future remake)

Searched for a thread for this and didn't get any results. Found out about it on Facebook (of all places) yesterday.

Apparently, a group of fans is making a Jet Set Radio Future remake for PC.

Official Teaser

Official website:

http://jetsetradio.live/

Link to their Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectbeat/

Their FAQ (from Reddit):

Q: Is this a port? A: This is a remake. NOT a port. Some things will be faithful to the original but there will be new features, too.

Q: I don't like "this" or "that". Can you remove it please? A: We aren't removing shit. You can configure all new features in the menu. We take suggestions, though.

Q: But I really don't like that thing. A: What do you want? I told you you can change it in the settings. Don't like it? Make the game yourself

Q: Why is the game running slowly for me? A: I'm not sure. What hardware are you packing? We seriously try to make the game run as fast as possible. But since this is PC, everyone's systems will run differently. In the meantime, if you are having issues: Turn off the effects and turn down the settings / resolution. I would not have SSAO on unless you have a powerful PC.

Q:Will Jet Set Radio LIVE be added to the game? A:That's the plan!

Q:When will the game be done? A:We would rather not give an ETA as we don't want to rush the game or add any pressure to development. You will still be able to see our progress and updates on this reddit and you can download the latest build every two weeks!

Q:Do you guys plan on adding any new levels once the game is finished? A:It's hard to say at the moment as we are so early in development! We are thinking of including a level editor!

Q:What are some of the potential "additions" the dev team might put in (seeing as it's an "HD" remake)? A: HD textures, New gameplay mechanics, New effects on objects in the game, reworked lighting, etc, etc. You can submit ideas to us on our discord here

Q:Will the game be moddable? A:As moddable as possible!

Q:Not to be a downer, but do you guys worry about getting a letter from Sega's lawyers? Any sort of plan if that happens? A: I wouldn't worry about that and yes we have a plan

You can download the updates they upload every two weeks, so there are some YT videos about it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_F6rW9K57s

It's still early in development, so don't expect it to look amazing right now.

My opinion: As a huge fan of both JSR and JSRF I am very excited about this. It's been almost 15 years since the game came out on the xbox... and it's pretty sad that we are not seeing any interest from SEGA to revive the series.

Beat me if old

Trace

Banned
Uhh... isn't that entire website comprised of JSR assets? How exactly do they expect not to get a C&D immediately...

joe2187

Banned
It honestly doesnt look great.

They've completely lost the art style in the character models and whatever engine they're using.

rackham

Banned
Why should no one worry about the copyright laws? I love jsfr and am happy to see this but I'd be happier if it was official so it has a chance to come to vita

Lovely art but no game play. I'm not sure it would hold up in 2016 anyway. So many games have pushed things forward from all the wall running in games and skate's tactile controls.

rackham

Banned
So...this is pretty much guaranteed to be taken down right? Unless they're pulling all of our legs and already have permission from sega

"Christ, what did they do to the character models?"

They're not using cel-shading. The original JSRF models are actually pretty blocky/square. Smoothing groups and cel-shading mask that in the original games.

eso76

it's weird seeing a high framerate JSR game

Not really, JSRF was 60fps.

Now that I think of it though, I think NTSC jsrf struggled to keep a steady 60fps, while the 50hz PAL version was a lot more consistent. Not rock solid maybe, but almost there.

ChrisDM

This is great and has me super excited, but I really wish SEGA would just come through officially and port JSRF to PC or literally whatever other current platform. I will buy it regardless. It feels like JSR HD sold well?

This is great and has me super excited, but I really wish SEGA would just come through officially and port JSRF to PC or literally whatever other current platform. I will buy it regardless. It feels like JSR HD sold well?

Yes, the best outcome of fan remakes and stuff like that would be that SEGA finally realize JSR still has some fans and that the first thing they can do is porting JSRF to basically everything. Since this game doesn't have tank controls it may hopefully sell more than JSR HD.

But let's accept it: these games don't sell well.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
Creative commons licences absolutely do not let you apply a new licence onto an existing one when you feel like it.

Like I can't just slap CC-BY on Goodfellas and its now mine to take credit for even though im not selling it

Yeah, putting CC-BY on a project consisting almost entirely of stolen/ripped assets is a recipe for real trouble.

Qwark

They seem to have a Seaman demo on their site, are they planning more remakes?

The Seaman demo is kind of cool, but I tried out my favorite Seaman phrase "Have you heard of the internet?" and no reaction. Seems to be pretty limited, probably just a joke.

I don't expect this remake to ever actually release, but I'd love to see a spiritual sequel.

I'm a big fan of JSRF and would love to have a version I could play on modern hardware, but part of me wants them to get slapped hard with a takedown just to see what their "plan" is.

That part of me will get what it wants.

Yeah, putting CC-BY on a project consisting almost entirely of stolen/ripped assets is a recipe for real trouble.

If their game dev skills are as sharp as their apparent understanding of copyright, we won't be missing out on anything anway.

Creative commons licences absolutely do not let you apply a new licence onto an existing one when you feel like it.

Like I can't just slap CC-BY on Goodfellas and its now mine to take credit for even though im not selling it

Instant sign that these guys have no idea what they're doing. I don't expect this to ever be finished, let alone released.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Um, that's not how Creative Commons works.

Maybe their answer in the QA means they've already established some agreement with Sega?

Jocund

That website/radio station thing has been up for months. I listen to it from time to time. I kind of wish it was just that, cause now it's even more likely to get taken down.

Jawmuncher

You know it's sad but doing this remake is easier than Xbox Emulation getting done.
I'll take what I can get I suppose.

I never understand why people show these off at all. Make it quietly, release it, then bolt and have nothing more to do with it. Telling people beforehand is the quickest way to get a C&D I can think of.

Rhanitan

why isn't it cell shaded? I would rather sega just give us a HD remaster of the original. I hate how they remastered the first one and then left the way better sequal hanging.

Top Bottom