• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Wingman, “Ace Combat”-inspired arcade flight game, releases on December 1st

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

Sector D2 has announced that its arcade flight game that is heavily inspired by the classic Ace Combat games, Project Wingman, will release on December 1st.
In order to celebrate this announcement, the team released a new trailer that you can find below.

In this arcade combat flight game, players will fight in various missions and game modes. These modes will range from intense aerial dogfights to large scale ground assault in an alternate scorched earth setting.
It’s also worth noting that the game features full VR support.

Project Wingman will put an emphasis on polished and refined gameplay, true-to-its-roots inspirations, and an engaging single player experience.
This arcade game aims to be perfect for those who aren’t looking for a simulator experience with the ease of pick up and play, all the way to those who want a fast-paced challenging flight action game.

ss_0c3c1e3d9f6365b4545920512feb7113110caeef.1920x1080.jpg
ss_ebd838c749ed57f300a7524a2de04a00621b3d21.1920x1080.jpg
ss_91053990a907458c1801345f464dedff52e56121.1920x1080.jpg
ss_23a41b7a931ebcc2e3c916ddf3fe69adc854cac9.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ace Combat is also a 90s series, that other series sort of died since and Ace Combat endures doesn't mean it should change to be something else or that people shouldn't enjoy it. Why be lame enough to enter a thread with a title that is super clear about what sort of game it's about only to say oh, so it's not what I want, boo! Lol?
Woot, Project Wingman is here, I can't wait to dive in this one :D

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The cheap cockpit view with blurred out buttons is total ass. Also, why must we always have 800 missiles in these games :(

If you want realism in a flight combat sim, check out Digital Combat Simulator.

Though I will say, it's more niche than the others because of the realism, sometimes people say they want that but really don't, it can take a hot minute before you even learn to fly, missions are a lot of flying, and as you wanted, you only carry a realistic amount of missiles.

Patrick S.

Banned
If you want realism in a flight combat sim, check out Digital Combat Simulator.

Though I will say, it's more niche than the others because of the realism, sometimes people say they want that but really don't, it can take a hot minute before you even learn to fly, missions are a lot of flying, and as you wanted, you only carry a realistic amount of missiles.

I have spent countless hours in "realistic" flight sims ;) I'd love something like this game, but with maybe shorter missions and a more realistic loadout. I just can't suspend my disbelief when I'm shooting my five hundreth Sidewinder at target number 480, and find it super off-putting haha

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I have spent countless hours in "realistic" flight sims ;) I'd love something like this game, but with maybe shorter missions and a more realistic loadout. I just can't suspend my disbelief when I'm shooting my five hundreth Sidewinder at target number 480, and find it super off-putting haha

Agreed. There's a happy medium between realistic and arcade and that's what I want.

I feel like developers in the 90s (especially Microprose) were able to hit that sweet spot, but it seems to be a lost art these days.

Gp1

I don't expect anything more than a cheap knock off and that's good enough for me

If Eagle Dynamic makes a lite version of the DCS using their current tech, with semi-realistic physics concept (energy management, curve performance etc), some differentiation between flying different aircrafts and their systems, go realistic loadouts, make it easy to control with and without HOTAS, etc... they would easily blow Ace Combat out of the sky.

Basically. Use DCS tech as a base, cut the heavy sim stuff, do something in the line of their semi-sim module, put some product value on it and it's ready.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. There's a happy medium between realistic and arcade and that's what I want.

I feel like developers in the 90s (especially Microprose) were able to hit that sweet spot, but it seems to be a lost art these days.
Absolutely - I’d love something like F19 Stealth Fighter.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You can see it in the video lined above. Like, PS2 blurry.
Can’t really tell on my phone or tablet for sure but watching this one it looks ok.

About 25 minutes in we finally get a daytime cockpit shot and it looks ok far as I can tell.

A.Romero

This looks amazing. Would purchase right now if it wasn't because I just got a few other games on the sale and I'm waiting for Cyberpunk in a few days.

Will get in a few weeks though.

BTW, Ace Combat fans (like myself) were waiting for an Ace Combat clone and it seems that's it. Maybe in the future mods will allow to change some of these things but in the meantime it is what it is (and I'll probably love it to bits).

This looks awesome, I’m always up for more Ace Combat though 7 was a little disappointing with that gimmick they pull halfway through the story.

The cheap cockpit view with blurred out buttons is total ass. Also, why must we always have 800 missiles in these games :(

I like the game so far, an while I agree with you regarding the 800 missiles bit - Its advertised as an arcade take on the genre lol
In this arcade combat flight game, players will fight in various missions and game modes. These modes will range from intense aerial dogfights to large scale ground assault in an alternate scorched earth setting.
It’s also worth noting that the game features full VR support.

But you are right. I was spamming the shit out of missiles during the time little bit of time I spent with it earlier :messenger_tears_of_joy:

P.Jack

I recently started playing Ace Combat 7 and I’m having a blast, what a wonderful game! And the soundtrack is just fantastic. Didn’t expect to like it as much as I do.

Anyway, will I like this if i like AC7? Sure looks similar, how’s the controls?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I recently started playing Ace Combat 7 and I’m having a blast, what a wonderful game! And the soundtrack is just fantastic. Didn’t expect to like it as much as I do.

Anyway, will I like this if i like AC7? Sure looks similar, how’s the controls?
Yes. Controls like Ace Combat.

Pagusas

Elden Member
here I was reading this thread and getting all excited, jumped over to steam to buy the game... and...

"Project Wingman is already in your Steam library"

... I seriously buy too many video games.

A.Romero

I'm a big Ace Combat fan and this game really scratches that classic Ace Combat itch. If someone told me they were ex Project Aces devs I would have believed it. The only difference is that there are no FMVs between missions.

Also it supports VR pretty well on PC which while the latest Ace Combat doesn't (it's a PSVR exclusive). I played it almost entirely in VR and it was a great experience.

If you like that style of game you can't go wrong. It's also pretty cheap.

Top Bottom