• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus story is really good, they just don´t put it in the movie

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Well I watched the vid and that was pretty amazing. I think however that was too far away from the original ideas for the Alien franchise though.

Doom85

It’s not perfect but I really like it. I liked Covenant too. I can’t think of better modern sci fi. Interstellar? Pfffff

Blade Runner 2049

LYyEkgm.gif

Dune

YbEz2CP.gif

Ex Machina

ex machina ava GIF by A24

Annihilation

Natalie Portman Movie GIF by Annihilation

clarky

Gold Member
First half hour or so of Prometheus is fucking great, i remember thinking "what is everyone on about this is awesome" Then it just devolves into complete and utter shit.

Doom85

Call me when they make something as dark and gritty as this again.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

That scene sucks because virtually all the prisoners are one dimensional and not very visually distinct so after that scene the whole cast except for Ripley, the doctor, and the preacher are possibly attempted rapists meaning I barely have anyone to give a shit about (and Ripley’s fate is already sealed, and the doctor doesn’t last long, so, yeah, a climax with pretty much nothing but unlikable assholes, “yay”). Add in awful audio mixing, badly dated CGI, the bullshit laziness that is the opening bit, the poor attempt at giving the Xenomorph a POV to build tension, and no wonder its director David Fincher doesn’t like the film being brought up around him. Not to mention the stupidity of the premise, 1 has truckers, 2 has marines, sure. 3 couldn’t decide between prison and church and so nonsensically combines them, and we’re already off to a dumb start (“we’re on the honor system”. Oh, fuck off, movie)

To go from Aliens, which has one of the most memorable ensemble group of characters in film history IMHO, to these unremarkable basic bitches:

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Prometheus is flawed in a LOT of ways, but by god it is far superior to Alien 3. Fuck, Michael Fassbender alone makes it a better film.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Prometheus - looked very nice, story was utter trash.

The Ridley Scott who crafted Alien would look at Prometheus and shudder.

Scott is yet another director, like Snyder, Waititi, etc, in dire fucking need of some creative oversight.
Nah, Ridley Scott has always been most interested in how things look, attention to (visual) detail, creating or recreating worlds.
The actual story set in those worlds is secondary - he mainly wants to explore ideas of creation and god with a small g - possibly a parallel of his own work creating 'worlds'.

Gp1

I like it too, but it suffers from the Final Fantasy XV syndrome.
A great universe and a somewhat interesting story, but in order to make sense you have to explore it on every single media and content outside of the movie. They went to a point to cut parts of it to make videos for TEDx and Youtube.

Good for a text-book omnichannel marketing case, not so good when you consider only the movie.

Last edited:

AGRacing

They only had a loose explanation for any of this… and it was never going to make any sense.
Prometheus is a beautiful looking mess of a movie.

Doom85

At least we knew the dudes in Alien 3 are scum.

Doesn’t make them worth watching, or their “honor system” anything but fucking idiotic if we’re whining about characters not being smart. The Sopranos has interesting scumbags, the prisoners in Alien 3 are less interesting than staring at a black piece of paper.

Doesn’t make them worth watching, or their “honor system” anything but fucking idiotic if we’re whining about characters not being smart. The Sopranos has interesting scumbags, the prisoners in Alien 3 are less interesting than staring at a black piece of paper.
Better than Big Bang Theory in space. 🐻

diffusionx

Gold Member
i like the movie because I like the idea of the truth of origins being out there somewhere, hidden amongst the ruin. I am just as fascinated by what we see in this world with stuff like the pumapunku or Baalbek stones that nobody can describe or fit into our current understood timeline and theory of history.

But the movie turned kind of shlocky instead of leaning into that. Maybe what I saw in it is too high brow for an Alien movie.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked Prometheus a lot because of the lore. The lore is what fascinates me most about that universe. But if they would have put a lot more of it into the movie of course it would've been better.

Top Bottom