• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

How so? I don't get that. I understand being upset by the timing of the joke and the use of the hashtag, but I have no trouble believing that he saw the hashtag trending, thought of the joke, and posted it without really thinking about it. I might be lacking more context here and missing something, though.

I think Daryl explained it earlier, the day before he was going off on outrage culture and the people upset at Horizon, so that combined with the next day tweeting that makes it seem like he was doing it just to prove a point about "outrage culture."

Plus, he has sent out tweets before just to get a rise out of people like tweeting out a picture of Romney saying "if you had voted for this guy in 2012 none of this would have happened." He's had a history of trolling.

Noctis3

I just hopped in this tread so i'm gonna throw my two cents in... If you make any comment in the public eye your gonna have to take the criticism that comes with it. That goes for jokes, statements and etc. You cant control how people will react, that's not how society works. Colin's a smart guy he knows this. Which leads me to believe he might have done this on purpose to see what would happen. IMO I didnt have a problem with the joke but you have to be mindful of people's feelings too, especially when your running a business. For a conservative guy you would think he knew better lol.

Audioboxer

He made a big fuss about leaving conservatism when Trump was winning the primary. Then when Trump won he went to becoming a huge defender and talking about "reasonable discourse" as if trump literally ever did that.

No one who supports Trump is a libertarian. He's a Republican lap dog.

Unless he was... lying? on Rubin he doesn't like Trump. Believe it or not there are conservatives who don't like Trump. Heck, there's tons of people from all walks of life who do not like Trump. Everyone who isn't 1:1 with yourself politically isn't a supporter of Trump. This is one area of character assassination I do not like. As much as you don't like someone, don't misquote them or say they said or believe something they do not.

Conservatives and Democrats can both be "libertarians". Like nearly all of politics, it isn't always black or white. You can have small government democrats and republicans, and you can have full blown authoritarian democrats and republicans. Or if you want to call some of them fiscal conservatives, or whatever. Politics used to be about leaning certain ways independently of others, due to individual stances on some things. Now it's full blown identity politics and at times, quite insufferable. Generally speaking, the majority of conservatives gone by would get hung up on something petty like abortion (petty as in, authoritarian attempts to police women's choice), or something religious, due to christian fundamentalism, but nowadays there are believe it or not some "conservatives" who are rather liberal on most if not all social issues (a lot of the young ones are, especially as secularism is on the rise). A bad and insensitive joke aside from Colin, I haven't seen him against gay marriage, abortion or any other social issue of freedom. He quite openly states he is pro-freedoms and for small government. His republican side tends to come out around work, finance and so forth. Which can have it's own issues to debate.

Vinc

I think Daryl explained it earlier, the day before he was going off on outrage culture and the people upset at Horizon, so that combined with the next day tweeting that makes it seem like he was doing it just to prove a point about "outrage culture."

I guess it's easy to make that connection, but it's hard to prove intent... and ignoring him likely would've been the best way to prove him wrong and "shut him up."

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
What's the ultimate fallout from this, then? Are people here done with KF as long as Colin sticks around? Are "we" demanding an apology from the man himself? Are we going to the pub and waiting for this to all blow over?

A lot of people are saying there isn't any outrage and it's just a disagreement, but there are certainly degrees of disagreement, no? This seems more severe than people being upset that Colin and Greg didn't play TLG. What was the purpose of the spike in posts? Is it merely a civil discussion among the members of the community?

A lot of people are noting that this was the final straw and that's what made the pot boil over, but what's the follow-up?

Fliesen

The response I have seen is that people want to silence him.

the only ones actively on a crusade to bully others and silence their voices seem to be the #istandwithcolin crowd, don't you think so?

Where is anyone trying to silence Colin?
Meanwhile there's people mass-downvoting recent KF videos which does affect their visibility on Youtube.

Please show me any kind of mob out for poor Colin other than people stating their disagreement on Twitter or discussing about it on forums.
Meanwhile, his supporters are the ones actively trying to hurt the KF youtube channel, which - even if it's a patreon supported company - does affect their exposure to new viewers and therfore their livelihood and sustainability.

TankRizzo

Banned
What's the ultimate fallout from this, then? Are people here done with KF as long as Colin sticks around? Are "we" demanding an apology from the man himself? Are we going to the pub and waiting for this to all blow over?

A lot of people are saying there isn't any outrage and it's just a disagreement, but there are certainly degrees of disagreement, no? This seems more severe than people being upset that Colin and Greg didn't play TLG. What was the purpose of the spike in posts? Is it merely a civil discussion among the members of the community?

A lot of people are noting that this was the final straw and that's what made the pot boil over, but what's the follow-up?
nothing is going to happen

sasliquid

Went back and looked at the tweet.

All the tweets criticising him near the top all seemed reasonable. No demands to get him fired just people expressing their disappointment.

I guess they're sacks of shit

kiguel182

Went back and looked at the tweet.

All the tweets criticising him near the top all seemed reasonable. No demands to get him fired just people expressing their disappointment.

I guess they're sacks of shit

People like Colin think that saying "I don't like that" is outrage and an attempt to censor him. They aren't good at getting called out for stuff and just get super defensive.

They complain about "PC culture" because it's easier than thinking "maybe I shouldn't offend people". It's kinda sad.

kiguel182

That's how I feel, but then what was the point of this? If people don't feel compelled to take real action, why didn't they sigh and move on after reading the tweet, rather than run to GAF to clog up the PSXOXO thread with this?

Because people like to comment on stuff and this is a forum where people comment on stuff.

This was a big person in media circles doing something bad so we comment on it. There's no big motif.

I didn't support Colin before and this will not make me want to change that stance. But it does paint a picture about KF's fanbase and the type of people they have gathered.

Also, I like Greg Miller. Its a shame Colin is the guy he decided to work with and build this.

Cloukyo

Banned
The response has mostly been for him to be held responsible for his actions and to maybe be slightly introspective and learn from this

This is the voice of outrage.

Complain all you want, when you're out to punish someone (which people did, by pulling out of their patreons) that's when it turns into pitchforks rather than discussion.

People are allowed to complain about his joke, but we should be allowed to show disillusionment and annoyance at how often they do, Just as he's allowed to tell his dad joke.

Honestly, I don't get the point of this. His joke was so vanilla, and he's not a prominent figure at all.

kiguel182

Here's how normal people course correct from the unintentional harm a joke can cause.

Justin McElroy's simple, positive response.

But instead I guess I'm just a humourless sack of shit oh well.

That's a good and sincere response. It's exactly how Colin (and people) should react to stuff like this.

As a cis straight guy there's a lot of stuff I can't understand and if I ever offend someone without intention I think apologizing to that person and learning from it would be the right thing to do.

Colin decided to insult everyone and hide.

Complain all you want, when you're out to punish someone (which people did, by pulling out of their patreons) that's when it turns into pitchforks rather than discussion.

People are allowed to complain about his joke, but we should be allowed to show disillusionment and annoyance at how often they do, Just as he's allowed to tell his dad joke.

Honestly, I don't get the point of this. His joke was so vanilla, and he's not a prominent figure at all.

How is wanting someone to see that there actions have consequences outrage?

Do you know what the word outrage means? People have been discussing his actions in a level headed manner throughout this thread.

The people that claim others are outraged are the ones that come off as outraged. People are discussing a topic on a gaming forum.

Colin and no one else is entitled to other people money. If someone did not like something they can stop funding it. I don't buy McDonalds because I do not enjoy eating fast food. I am not outraged at McDonalds.

You continue to post nonsense in this thread without replying to the people that respond. We get it by now your husband makes sexist jokes to you and you are bent on telling us how you are okay with it.

the1npc

The joke is vanilla out of context. Try harder

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Here's how normal people course correct from the unintentional harm a joke can cause.

And from that day on, the MBMBAM community was permanently divided over the Great War of Political Correctness, and are now beholden to an audience of trolls.

Or they went from strength to strength on the back of their diverse, positive community and now have a TV show. I can't remember which.

No one's demanding anything. We're being openly critical and having a discussion. I haven't seen a single person saying "Colin should be fired" or anything even close to it. Not everything has to be a pitchfork-and-torches mob.

Many of the people defending Colin can't seem to understand this. They see any form of criticism, discussion, and critical thinking as "outrage culture" and "people going apeshit." It's not even close to that. It's just people looking at something and saying, "that's pretty wack, I don't really want to be associated with that."

Fliesen

n9CKA4L.png

similarly, Justin's reaction to the election results were similar in "message" to Colins.
But while Colin said
"The hyperbole on Twitter is through the roof right now.

The sun will come up tomorrow. Relax. #ElectionNight"
Dismissing everyone's fears as being "hyperbolic and overdramatic"

Justin saying
"I'm gonna wake up and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
which showed empathy and support to those who were afraid of the things to come

All a matter of empathy, really.

Roubjon

Yep. That's pretty much all Colin had to do, but he was purposefully trying to be a troll, unlike Justin.

Colin doesn't seem to have the empathy to consider doing something like that though. I think this whole incident just hammers down on the fact he'll never change.

Colin doesn't seem to have the empathy to consider doing something like that though. I think this whole incident just hammers down on the fact he'll never change.
Exactly. The problem with immature guys like him is that he sees any form of apology or backing down as weakness or capitulation to "SJWs" or whatever, when it doesn't have to be that at all. It's about introspection and your own feelings, not the feelings of anyone else. And his silence on this tells me that in his heart, he hasn't changed and has no desire to change, despite his earlier suggestions.

kiguel182

I feel like people who say "comedy is ruined" don't really get context. Same for people who don't understand why something is offensive and maybe something similar isn't.

Edit: and yeah, empathy is key in subjects like this and Colin showed none.

Anyone who uses the "the sun will come up tomorrow, you'll get through these 4 years" when discussing the election is an idiot because a lot of people's lives will be outright harmed and a lot of people will die. It's the unfortunate truth and was clear to see even before Trump was president.

More on topic though, I don't like this thing Colin does where people have legitimate criticism and are debating him legitimately, and then he comes out and posts about how he's being attacked and pretends he's a victim. This whole situation is just a large amplification of that attitude.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
No one's demanding anything. We're being openly critical and having a discussion. I haven't seen a single person saying "Colin should be fired" or anything even close to it. Not everything has to be a pitchfork-and-torches mob.

Many of the people defending Colin can't seem to understand this. They see any form of criticism, discussion, and critical thinking as "outrage culture" and "people going apeshit." It's not even close to that. It's just people looking at something and saying, "that's pretty wack, I don't really want to be associated with that."

I know this, but I'm saying this thread is beyond a simple disagreement. You must want something to come of your criticism, otherwise you're typing into the void. I'm simply asking what would be a satisfactory end to this ordeal? Would an apology go a long way towards mending things?

I backed to see what all the fuss was about and then I saw the tweet and immediately thought: "Yep, an over sensitive bunch is blowing things out of proportion again".

Also, what the fuck is up with Justin Davis? Dude has a grudge on Colin or something? That faux sense of superiority because he tweets good things about women is hysterical.

I know this, but I'm saying this thread is beyond a simple disagreement. You must want something to come of your criticism, otherwise you're typing into the void. I'm simply asking what would be a satisfactory end to this ordeal? Would an apology go a long way towards mending things?

Honestly, it's probably too late for Colin at this point, any apology from him would be hollow.

I think people are just discussing now how it could have been handled to not become a bigger deal.

Fliesen

For 3 days, in a thread thats meant to be about a playstation podcast

well, what do you wanna talk about? There's no new episode out right, now, is there?

And there's a Kinda Funny thread in the community forums that is rather non-busy.

I don't think anyone would mind if you were to talk about something PSILYXOXO related that isn't Colin's latest shenanigans.
As with many threads about these kinds of "OMG SJW" issues, this thread is just moving in circles anyways. Gets bumped by a driveby #colindidnothingwrong post who didn't read the last few pages, people jump on the poster saying "nope, that's not what this is about". rinse. repeat.

So if you wanna change the conversation, go ahead, be my guest. It's just doubtful you'll get people to stop bumping this thread over the same topic. :)

Curufinwe

There's a lot of discussion about his level of empathy, when he's just actively trying to cultivate a fanbase from among the young, angry men of the alt-right. Those people aren't showing up in his twitter feed by accident. Yesterday I read the thread when he went after Bob Mackey and it's was as full of the utterly vile, Pepe-loving, cuck-calling, gamergate-was-about-ethics-in-games-journalism scumbags as you would expect.

This is increasingly going to be the audience Kinda Funny attracts and is known for, and Gregg and the rest can either accept that they are now beholden to Colin's provocateur politics, or they can do something about it.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
well, what do you wanna talk about? There's no new episode out right, now, is there?

And there's a Kinda Funny thread in the community forums that is rather non-busy.

I don't think anyone would mind if you were to talk about something PSILYXOXO related that isn't Colin's latest shenanigans.

The only reason I own a PS is to play Uncharted, TLOU, and Assassin's Creed (maybe ME and Red Dead). Not an exclusive machine, but I wouldn't dream of owning an Xbox.

For 3 days, in a thread thats meant to be about a playstation podcast
The subject of the discussion is a member of that podcast. I don't think it's really out of left field. I assume the mods are aware of this discussion and they haven't shut it down yet, so I'm assuming it's okay to keep talking about.

Also, really glad that Justin and MBMBaM came up in this thread because it's the perfect example of how a thought process antithetical to Colin's can be uplifting, empowering, and doesn't "ruin comedy." When the McElroys acknowledge that some of their older stuff wasn't the best and they're trying to improve and be more inclusive, I am proud to be a part of that community rather than being upset with them for "caving to SJWs" or whatever the fuck. The MBMBaM community is something I'm immensely proud to be a part of and it's built on a foundation of being nice and not punching down.

As with many threads about these kinds of "OMG SJW" issues, this thread is just moving in circles anyways. Gets bumped by a driveby #colindidnothingwrong post who didn't read the last few pages, people jump on the poster saying "nope, that's not what this is about". rinse. repeat.

So if you wanna change the conversation, go ahead, be my guest. It's just doubtful you'll get people to stop bumping this thread over the same topic. :)

This, so much this. I wish we could go back to 2 years ago when they just started where it was about games, positivity and them being silly on GameOverGreggy.

But then I don't know what happened, Colin started becoming a troll and here we are.

To think it all started with the something like the PS4 Pro and escalated from there.

Audioboxer

n9CKA4L.png

similarly, Justin's reaction to the election results were similar in "message" to Colins.
But while Colin said

Dismissing everyone's fears as being "hyperbolic and overdramatic"

Justin saying which showed empathy and support to those who were afraid of the things to come

All a matter of empathy, really.

Some of the hyperbole was indeed outrageous. However, Colin was doing exactly as I said some bystanders do earlier, go looking for the worst of the worst on social media to play a victim (as all the anti-PC folks do, they go looking for people on the fringes to say this is what all of the side looks like! Which is unfair, because it isn't). People should just stop following social media accounts that inflict them "pain". It's like feeding a never empty belly, constantly wanting to find more and more dumb shit on Twitter. When it's not individuals targeting other individuals, and people obviously standing in to say this is out of line, it's to your own detriment to constantly go after stupid general remarks and what not (Colin didn't tag or directly aim at anyone). Ignore/block it if it is affecting you that much. Otherwise, you drag yourself down into the 24 hour news cycle of outrage Its Always Sunny poked fun at. Each day, a new hot take to be angry about. PDP? Who's that, we've moved on folks. Often times they are so benign, regardless of how insensitive. I've tried to point that out with some nuance rather than "it's just a joke bro". But really, what does Colins tweet actually do? It doesn't even tell us much about him politically, in that the poster I quoted above was seemingly referring to him as a Trump supporter when he's not. This is the hyperbole that is brain numbing on twitter, calls to "he's a trump supporter, he's an x". Identity politics on steroids is annoying as well. Colin committing career suicide isn't the same as Colin is genuinely a hate filled man who believes all these horrible things about people, and would support legislation about them.

The kind of joke he posted is done over and over again by actual comedians, moaning in a hyper-realized fashion about nagging in relationships, whether it comes from the female or the male. It's a trope people laugh at because at times in their lives they might have had a bossy partner, or someone who was indeed a control freak. Difference is though, actual comedians get the benefit of the doubt, and more often than not they know good timing to tell jokes, not unleash shit on a day where everyone will be on guard to the actual dangerous trolls and abusive people. Hence, it's easy to determine Colin was doing it simply for outrage and "clicks", not to tell a joke.

Anyway, Colin isn't Justin, they are two different people. Support who you like, or both, or none, but you cannot just take a person and say "everyone should be like this!".

Some of the hyperbole was indeed outrageous. However, Colin was doing exactly as I said some bystanders do earlier, go looking for the worst of the worst on social media to play a victim (as all the anti-PC folks do, they go looking for people on the fringes to say this is what all of the side looks like! Which is unfair, because it isn't). People should just stop following social media accounts that inflict them "pain". It's like feeding a never empty belly, constantly wanting to find more and more dumb shit on Twitter. When it's not individuals targeting other individuals, and people obviously standing in to say this is out of line, it's to your own detriment to constantly go after stupid general remarks and what not (Colin didn't tag or directly aim at anyone). Ignore/block it if it is affecting you that much. Otherwise, you drag yourself down into the 24 hour news cycle of outrage Its Always Sunny poked fun at. Each day, a new hot take to be angry about. Often times they are so benign, regardless of how insensitive. I've tried to point that out with some nuance rather than "it's just a joke bro". But really, what does Colins tweet actually do? It doesn't even tell us much about him politically, in that the poster I quoted above was seemingly referring to him as a Trump supporter when he's not. This is the hyperbole that is brain numbing on twitter, calls to "he's a trump supporter, he's an x". Identity politics on steroids is annoying as well. Colin committing career suicide isn't the same as Colin is genuinely a hate filled man who believes all these horrible things about people, and would support legislation about them.

The kind of joke he posted is done over and over again by actual comedians, moaning in a hyper-realized fashion about nagging in relationships, whether it comes from the female or the male. It's a trope people laugh at because at times in their lives they might have had a bossy partner, or someone who was indeed a control freak. Difference is though, actual comedians get the benefit of the doubt, and more ofthen than not they know good timing to tell jokes, not unleash shit on a day where everyone will be on guard to the actual dangerous trolls and abusive people.

Anyway, Colin isn't Justin, they are two different people. Support who you like, or both, or none, but you cannot just take a person and say "everyone should be like this!".

I posted an example of a comedian who made a joke, got called out for it and acted responsibly, my bad.

Fliesen

which is not what i'm saying. It's just that people often claim that "apologizing" would lead to the death of comedy, that being a genuinely empathic person would lead to people afraid to speak their minds anymore etc.

It's just a "how to handle certain situations in a professional, respectful fashion without compromising what you stand for or 'censoring' yourself"

Someone who's actually a comedian instead of a quippy video games pundit, so they'd have a much easier time hiding behind the shield of 'comedy knows no taboo'.

Audioboxer

I posted an example of a comedian who made a joke, got called out for it and acted responsibly, my bad.

Who? I wouldn't say any of the faces I've seen in here so far are "real" comedians. Everyone can tell jokes, but unless you are a comedian by job, independent and don't have to worry about where your paychecks come from, you aren't really a comedian. You're a citizen telling jokes, some of which may blow up in your face even if they are a joke. It's where many still fail to grasp freedom of speech. You can say whatever the fuck you want and you aren't being locked up, but the consequences for some saying what they want aren't always the same as for others. I say that even with me still criticising some online who go right to we want your job, your livelihood, your channels and accounts and even your dog to suffer because you said something mean. That's an authoritarian approach I personally dislike.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No it was great. I wasn't aware that Justin handled criticism that well. So thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, or not unfortunately depending on your Pepe-levels, Colin isn't like Justin when it comes to handling criticism.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member

Yeah, but I'm not sure why your guy even apologized. He didn't do anything wrong, he was just uninformed. If he was knowingly malicious, an apology would be in order, but if I understand the situation correctly (certainly possible that I don't), he made a harmless joke, a reader reached out and explained why some people care about their name, and he said he was sorry for... what exactly.

He could have just said, "Cheers for that. Wasn't aware," and no one would have thought he was a dick.

Fliesen

Who? I wouldn't say any of the faces I've seen in here so far are "real" comedians. Everyone can tell jokes, but unless you are a comedian by job, independent and don't have to worry about where your paychecks come from, you aren't really a comedian. You're a citizen telling jokes, some of which may blow up in your face even if they are a joke. It's where many still fail to grasp freedom of speech. You can say whatever the fuck you want and you aren't being locked up, but the consequences for some saying what they want aren't always the same as for others. I say that even with me still criticising some online who right to we want your job, your livelihood, your channels and accounts and even your dog to suffer because you said something mean.

yeah, by your definition Justin is literally a comedian. He has multiple podcasts on a "comedy podcast network"

He could have just said, "Cheers for that. Wasn't aware," and no one would have thought he was a dick.

and he went one step further, sincerely apologized because he cared about the feelings of his listeners which made him even more of a non-dick. Why do you feel the need to play backseat PR-agent for people? :p

Top Bottom