• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Audioboxer

No. I don't give a shit about the difference. I'm not backing down from my position because I'm an asshole edgelord that is constantly using false equivalence to push people's buttons.

I don't particularly think calling Jharp an asshole edgelord does much to strengthen your points, especially not when you began by questioning his morals.

I think your humor is broken, that you enjoyed it speaks to you being shitty container bereft of any morality.

I mean man, seriously, you might disagree with some of what he is saying, but you're kind of beautifully making other parts of his points. Going for the jugular to lambaste a poster you really don't know in the ways you have over an insensitive tweet is the height of potentially being the (uninformed) morality police.

What do you really know about Jharp other than the small snippets you've read in here? I think it's a valid question to go ask yourself when attempting to form very wide painted strokes about his morals/character. Maybe it would be best as the saying often goes to challenge his points without going right to full character assassination? I mean, we all know next to nothing about Colin's GF, but lets say she did laugh at the joke, is that really enough for your to say she has no morals? Do you not laugh in private at jokes that may well be best kept in private? That's part of my crux here, okay Colin, your GF laughed, maybe "mission accomplished" for the night, you made someone you love smile. Is it the best idea to go on Twitter and try and do the same there? Obviously not.

A little bit of that does apply to Colin as well, as much as you may hate his politics, and that tweet, it is important how he actually behaves in day to day life, to his GF, to his friends, and more generally how he views other people. Especially when it comes to legislation if we want to talk politics. We know a bit of that, because he does talk about his politics often.

ps. If your asshole edgelord remark was for Colin, okay, but it seems like it was for the poster above, not to mention you did already throw the "bereft of any morality" at him.

jennetics

I thought the PSN worst name of the week (PavinPussDaily) was pretty good, but it'll never beat Dont_shoot_Im_Gay.

I'm confident Sony will let us change our PSN name this E3 ಥ_ಥ

pastrami

It's also twitter, and you can't have any reasonable discourse there. I strongly encourage you to watch his Rubin interview where he talks about desperately WANTING to engage with his critics in reasonable discussion, but none of them being willing to sit down and do so. And hell, if anyone in here is so convinced of their crusade, I also encourage you to contact Colin and set up some sort of discussion or debate with him. I'd absolutely love to see some actual civil discussion between Colin and someone in this thread. I don't mean in this in some snide shitty way, either. The dude wants to talk to you. So fucking take him up on it.

I doubt that as evidenced by the PS4 Pro "discussion" he challenged people to earlier in the thread. He straight up ignored people with competing arguments and continued to act like he was a victim in it all. He's such a blowhard.

Jharp

Yeah, well he can fuck off, if he doesn't practice what he preaches even on twitter why should reasonable people give him the time of day.

Well as I stated in the very first line of the post you quoted, it's twitter, and you can't have reasonable discourse a hundred and forty characters at a time. So engage with him through actual person to person communication. Over mic, or in person, whatever. Do it, and I bet he would be happy to have a civil discussion with you. By saying "fuck him" and denying any such discourse is only defeating your own purpose here.

His kind of fans, who jump down anybody's throat the moment someone dare disagree with their idol and throwing out accusations of SJW/outrage culture/cuck are exactly the reason you can't have any reasonable discourse on twitter. Like, prominent people in the very same industry as Colin have expressed that this legion of shitlords are the very reason they don't @ him in Twitter when they might take umbrage with something he posts. If Colin is so concerned with reasonable discussion and raising the level of discourse maybe he should have a chat with the people that shit up platforms like twitter in his name first.

Once again, you guys are just refusing to address the simple idea of a conversation with him.

Yes, there are shitlords on Twitter who will latch on to Colin and use him as an excuse to be dicks.

Yes, that fucking sucks.

You still can't have a conversation in fucking tweets.

If you truly are convinced of your beliefs, then contact him personally, and set up a platform to engage personally. I know he'd love to do it, and I'd to watch the civil discourse that results from it. Stop acting like the shitheads on twitter are a reason NOT to have a discussion with what, at the end of the day, is a reasonable dude.

Icolin

Banned
I thought the PSN worst name of the week (PavinPussDaily) was pretty good, but it'll never beat Dont_shoot_Im_Gay.

Colin and Greg have been hearing that it's gonna happen, but it's been that way for like 2 years, lol.

Cloukyo

Banned
And so now you've got THOSE people on your side, who make you look even worse. Even if you don't agree with their extremist ideals at all, now everyone can point to who's backing you and drag you even further down.

I don't see those people anywhere. All I see is people saying that you should let a joke be a joke. You laughed at the joke, so you accepted it as a joke, the only difference is that some people were vocal about their annoyance that once again something minor was blown up to several days worth of bickering, friends falling out, and talks of people losing their job.

I'm not alt-right or a gamergater (I don't much about it tbh), but its hard to watch a movement I used to be proud of being in turn into a crowd of hypersensitive babies.

To make it clear, I'm not talking about gaffers here, people seem to be taking my posts personally, but I came specially because I wanted to talk about the bloated response on twitter to Colin's joke (although there maybe be an overlap? I dunno).

I strongly encourage you to watch his Rubin interview where he talks about desperately WANTING to engage with his critics in reasonable discussion, but none of them being willing to sit down and do so.
To someone with my worldview, there is absolutely no value to sitting down and "debating" with Colin because what he has to say is so wrong and invalid that we'll never see eye-to-eye. You can view that as intellectually weak or whatever you want, just stating the point.

When you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The only difference is that the pig likes it.

Audioboxer

Yeah. I'm just framing my arguments as Colin would.

Okay, fair enough, glad you pointed that out, it wasn't clear (or at least it went over my head).

That shitty PS3/PSN implementation is going to haunt Sony forever. Current engineers who look at what prior engineers did will be at a loss for words (I say prior, as I assume some might have been let go lol).

Well as I stated in the very first line of the post you quoted, it's twitter, and you can't have reasonable discourse a hundred and forty characters at a time. So engage with him through actual person to person communication. Over mic, or in person, whatever. Do it, and I bet he would be happy to have a civil discussion with you. By saying "fuck him" and denying any such discourse is only defeating your own purpose here.

Once again, you guys are just refusing to address the simple idea of a conversation with him.

Yes, there are shitlords on Twitter who will latch on to Colin and use him as an excuse to be dicks.

Yes, that fucking sucks.

You still can't have a conversation in fucking tweets.

If you truly are convinced of your beliefs, then contact him personally, and set up a platform to engage personally. I know he'd love to do it, and I'd to watch the civil discourse that results from it. Stop acting like the shitheads on twitter are a reason NOT to have a discussion with what, at the end of the day, is a reasonable dude.

You would have a point if he didn't blatantly pander to these shitheads on twitter. Practice what you preach. You are in here saying he wants to have reasonable discourse like you are Colin's PR mouthpiece, but I have yet to see anything from him to suggest this is the case, and I have zero interest in going out of his way to dig up the real Colin Moriarty. He is public figure and he uses social media as his platform, so excuse me if I'm going to judge him based on how he uses that platform, and as of yet, I see nothing to suggest he's little more than an inflammatory troll. If he wants to change that image, he's more than welcome to, even on twitter.

Nothing will top Dont_shoot_Im_Gay.

You have to have an internal conversation on what's more offensive. To shoot or not to shoot and treat him differently.

I don't see those people anywhere. All I see is people saying that you should let a joke be a joke. You laughed at the joke, so you accepted it as a joke, the only difference is that some people were vocal about their annoyance that once again something minor was blown up to several days worth of bickering, friends falling out, and talks of people losing their job.

I'm not alt-right or a gamergater (I don't much about it tbh), but its hard to watch a movement I used to be proud of being in turn into a crowd of hypersensitive babies.

To make it clear, I'm not talking about gaffers here, people seem to be taking my posts personally, but I came specially because I wanted to talk about the bloated response on twitter to Colin's joke (although there maybe be an overlap? I dunno).

Do you see it now?
C6eb9HxWYAAkF-N.jpg

Jharp

To someone with my worldview, there is absolutely no value to sitting down and "debating" with Colin because what he has to say is so wrong and invalid that we'll never see eye-to-eye. You can view that as intellectually weak or whatever you want, just stating the point.

When you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The only difference is that the pig likes it.

It is intellectually weak, and the fact that you recognize that, but continue to adhere to it, is alarming. It's also going to embolden your social and political opponents, and do nothing for your own cause. Society and politic has had fierce debate at their core going back to the fucking Greeks and it ran right up until just the last few years, when one side refused to engage with the other. And now no one wants to engage with anyone.

Fucking rad, guys.

Cloukyo

Banned
Nothing will top Dont_shoot_Im_Gay.

You have to have an internal conversation on what's more offensive. To shoot or not to shoot and treat him differently.

Do you see it now?
C6eb9HxWYAAkF-N.jpg

Haha oh shit, yeah that's pretty terrible.

But I don't see it on here at least.

Gotta say, I kind of feel bad for Colin now. Can't help his image.

Jharp

You would have a point if he didn't blatantly pander to these shitheads on twitter. Practice what you preach. You are in here saying he wants to have reasonable discourse like you are Colin's PR mouthpiece, but I have yet to see anything from him to suggest this is the case, and I have zero interest in going out of his way to dig up the real Colin Moriarty. He is public figure and he uses social media as his platform, so excuse me if I'm going to judge him based on how he uses that platform, and as of yet, I see nothing to suggest he's little more than an inflammatory troll. If he wants to change that image, he's more than welcome to, even on twitter.

You don't have to dig it up, I'll just hand it to you. I highly, HIGHLY encourage you to watch it. If it helps, Dave Rubin is a gay liberal, so this isn't Breitbart or Alex Jones or anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQbfn8cL-8

It is intellectually weak, and the fact that you recognize that, but continue to adhere to it, is alarming. It's also going to embolden your social and political opponents, and do nothing for your own cause. Society politic has had fierce debate at its core going back to the fucking Greeks and it ran right up until just the last few years, when one side refused to engage with the other. And now no one wants to engage with anyone.

Fucking rad, guys.

You and Colin can say all you want that he wants to engage in reasonable discourse and debate but when, on his most visible public platform, acts in complete opposition to this, and instead actively lowers the level of discourse and stokes his fans to the the same, you'll have to forgive people for not believing his or your bullshit.

It is intellectually weak, and the fact that you recognize that, but continue to adhere to it, is alarming. It's also going to embolden your social and political opponents, and do nothing for your own cause. Society and politic has had fierce debate at their core going back to the fucking Greeks and it ran right up until just the last few years, when one side refused to engage with the other. And now no one wants to engage with anyone.

Fucking rad, guys.

You spout all that but kindly ignore that Colin himself is the one choosing to disengage from any criticism. He isn't going to PAX despite the wishes of at least one other KF guy. You know, PAX, a place where people could actually meet and talk to him or at the very least ask a question at a panel.

Bahorel

But him going on Glenn Beck is really gonna scrub it clean, huh? lol I'm sure he loves these fans.

I do like how I initially confused that image for being Colin himself because at this point I'm willing to beleive he would tank his image as much as he wanted to die on his cross.

hawk2025

It is intellectually weak, and the fact that you recognize that, but continue to adhere to it, is alarming. It's also going to embolden your social and political opponents, and do nothing for your own cause. Society politic has had fierce debate at its core going back to the fucking Greeks and it ran right up until just the last few years, when one side refused to engage with the other. And now no one wants to engage with anyone.

Fucking rad, guys.

Oh, fucking please.

We've all debated that one edgelord, holier-than-thou libertarian friend who really paid attention to the first bits of Econ101 then slept through the second half, and now thinks he understands Economics and Politics.

Back in college. Before learning how broken, backwards, and abandoned by empirical evidence his ideas are.

Stop pretending there's value to this fucking stupid debate you are proposing, and in particular stop pretending that this whole ordeal was anything more than a blatant fucking troll job that clearly showed Colin has, in fact, no interest in elevating the discourse and in earnest debate. Everyone called it out, everyone knew it, and no amount of ridiculous comedian namedrops is going to change that.

Fucking rad, guys.
Seriously though, please tell me what I or anyone else could say to Colin that's meaningful to anyone. "Hey Colin, maybe try being nicer and more thoughtful? Maybe don't belittle marginalized groups of people on a day meant to empower them?"

That's empathy 101 shit that I shouldn't have to say to anyone. And his response is going to be, "People are too SENSITIVE! Everyone gets OUTRAGED over nothing! You're RUINING humor!"

Ok, imaginary debate over. Somehow I'm the anti-intellectual because I don't want to hear his personal feelings on what is or isn't "too senstive."

Some Nobody

Ha. I hadn't even been on Twitter and I knew it. They live for shit like this.

And you wouldn't see it here, because people like that don't last long on GAF.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why is anyone pretending that Colin is intellectually honest and interested in an open evidence based debate?

Even if you didn't have access to Twitter and only had access to this GAF thread and his own posts herein you would see what a lie that is.

Edit: Oh wow, a bit slow and redundant now.

decisions

Well you know there was this one time where he challenged someone who was insulting and inflammatory towards him to a debate and put $2,000 of his money on the line to be donated to a charity if he lost (according to a third party vote) while asking nothing of his opponent.

Another example of him advocating reasonable discourse (where the other didn't ignore him and gossip about him like a coward) is just recently in his Colin Was Right with Adam Boyes, where the only immediate reason he invited him on was because Boyes disagreed with him about Sony's handling of the PSN store.

Or, you can forget these and all the other times he has had reasonable discourse with those who diaagree with him because he is a conservative and therefore must be an evil, bigoted man with no exception.

You spout all that but kindly ignore that Colin himself is the one choosing to disengage from any criticism. He isn't going to PAX despite the wishes of at least one other KF guy. You know, PAX, a place where people could actually meet and talk to him or at the very least ask a question at a panel.
Seeing how this thing still going on, it's better for him to stay home than be a distraction at PAX.
Tweet deleted

Jharp

Also, as long as I'm talking Rubin, his interview with Sky Williams (black, gay gamer) is also great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpy8B4Jc1hc

You and Colin can say all you want that he wants to engage in reasonable discourse and debate but when, on his most visible public platform, acts in complete opposition to this, and instead actively lowers the level of discourse and stokes his fans to the the same, you'll have to forgive people for not believing his or your bullshit.

All I know about Colin and engagement is what he said in the Rubin interview and I'm taking him at his word. If you guys are right and he was lying in the interview about being willing to debate, then that's shitty, and I agree with you folks. But he talked about offering a guy $2000 to a charity of that man's choosing to have a debate in person, and the guy refused. That's an oddly specific thing to lie about, no? I think it's more reasonable to assume that he doesn't want to have a debate with a keyboard because it's not conducive to actual discourse, and would much prefer to talk in person on a neutral platform. Once again, I'm taking him at his word here, so if I'm wrong, then that's shitty, and I can admit that.

And the PAX thing is shitty too. He definitely should go, and not going only makes him look bad.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
Holy shit!

Can I just say how unreal it is to see a fellow U2 fan in the wild, on GAF nonetheless? Unreal ZooTV avatar ;)

You going to any of the JT shows this year?

I'm hoping to. The Joshua Tree is my favorite album. I'm graduating, though, so my schedule may not allow it.

XandBosch

I'm hoping to. The Joshua Tree is my favorite album. I'm graduating, though, so my schedule may not allow it.

Ah right on. I'm going to the Toronto show. Hope you're able to make it to one!

I can never decide between AB and JT for my favourite, but JT is typically winning.

It's not deleted, but you may be blocked from viewing that person's posts for inexplicable reasons.
I don't see how, I used Twitter once to say I couldn't believe I was watching Sharknado 3? I never got to the hang of twitter, 150 characters has always been a challenge for me.

Nvm my app is just busted at the moment.

karasu

Well you know there was this one time where he challenged someone who was insulting and inflammatory towards him to a debate and put $2,000 of his money on the line to be donated to a charity if he lost (according to a third party vote) while asking nothing of his opponent.

Another example of him advocating reasonable discourse (where the other didn't ignore him and gossip about him like a coward) is just recently in his Colin Was Right with Adam Boyes, where the only immediate reason he invited him on was because Boyes disagreed with him about Sony's handling of the PSN store.

Or, you can forget these and all the other times he has had reasonable discourse with those who diaagree with him because he is a conservative and therefore must be an evil, bigoted man with no exception.
Having a debate about the psn store and your own questionable views/behaviors are totally different things.

mattp

I think comparing what Colin did to the joking nature of a podcast called super Knockin boots is comparing Apples to Oranges.

also, i'm always wary of digging up old stuff like this. how long ago were the things she referenced happening? cuz i quickly googled the show and it looks like it started back in like 2011
thats a lot of time for someone to mature and grow
also, i could be totally wrong and greg is still doing it, now

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Having a debate about the psn store and your own questionable views/behaviors are totally different things.
As previously discussed Colin doesn't understand the difference between entertainment Op-Eds/Reports on IGN and Shannon's anti-semetic alt-right guiding hand on Breitbart.

So of course people under the influence of the cult of personality won't understand the difference between talking about PSN store shortcomings and ethical shortcomings.

decisions

That's true, but Ninja Scooter didn't seem to be differentiating them to me. Maybe look at his conversations with Jared Petty, or how he has been accepting of Tim's novice liberalism, and never uses his ignorance of politics relative to him as an outlet for speaking condescendingly towards him.

also, i'm always wary of digging up old stuff like this. how long ago were the things she referenced happening? cuz i quickly googled the show and it looks like it started back in like 2011
Yeah, I don't know about Knockin' Boots and I'd rather it not be a centerpiece in a discussion about something that happened a few days ago. Even Justin McElroy who has been citied as a great example of inclusion in this thread said some heinous and uninformed shit back when their podcast started. People can grow and change. Maybe Greg has, maybe he hasn't.

hawk2025

If you are getting political debates and Economics discussion from videogame journalist personalities -- please consider why you think that's an insightful source of information.

decisions

If you are getting political debates and Economics discussion from videogame journalist personalities -- please consider why you think that's an insightful source of information.

If this is talking about me, then I don't know why you would assume my political intake is entirely restricted to videogame personalities for no reason, nor do I know why that's even relevant when all I was trying to argue is that Colin has had reasonable discouse with those who disagree with him for many years. Which Ninja Scooter said was untrue.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. On mobile and made an error.

Omerta

I read a comment on Facebook the other day where I guy said when he was setting his psn up, he got confused and thought the section for his username was asking for his wifi password...

His username will forever be something like NEUXHODJ

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's true, but Ninja Scooter didn't seem to be differentiating them to me. Maybe look at his conversations with Jared Petty, or how he has been accepting of Tim's novice liberalism, and never uses his ignorance of politics relative to him as an outlet for speaking condescendingly towards him.

So noble of him lol. Are those his actual choice of words or yours? Because describing him like sounds a bit condescending

decisions

So noble of him lol. Are those his actual choice of words or yours? Because describing him like sounds a bit condescending

Mine. If you would like to review some KF podcasts there must be over 20 segments where Colin brings up a political topic and Tim goes, "well I don't really know anything about politics but..."

Noks415

Yea he still does Super Knockin Boots. Its basically a podcast about sex and relationships. I actually remember what she's references as well. I mean if Greg's a sexist too then I must have really fucked up tastes in internet personalities.

Top Bottom