• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Burnout 3: Takedown Demo Impressions

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
243505.jpg

Title - Burnout 3: Takedown
Developer - Criterion Software Limited
Publisher - Electronic Arts
Genre - Racing
Format - PS2 (also for Xbox)
Release Date - September 7, 2004
MSRP - $49.99

Electronic Arts has let loose a demo (for retail purposes only) of their upcoming adrenaline-filled racer, Burnout 3: Takedown. What will fans of the Burnout series find in this 3rd entry? A whole lot of shock and awe.....and then some. Burnout 3 is pure arcade-style racing gold through and through, even leaving the intensity of it's prior incarnation, Burnout 2: Point of Impact, in the dust. This 3rd game, courtesy of the fine folk at Criterion once again, have crafted a blistering racing experience like no other. With a plethora of racing titles scheduled to hit the market for the end of the year (Need for Speed: Underground 2, Street Racing Syndicate, Gran Turismo 4, Juiced, Outrun 2, Forza Motorsport, etc.), Burnout 3 goes head-above-shoulders over the competition with its awesome sensation of speed, "takedown" crashes, and its overall style of being aggressive.

Graphics

This is sweet eye-candy at its finest, folks. The framerate is at a knock-out 60 FPS, complete with motion blurs (that distort on the sides of your peripheral vision), lens flares, dust/smoke/flare/spark effects, and particle/debris effects (when you crash) up the wazoo. Criterion have fined tuned their RenderWare middleware tools and it shines brightly......this is best looking game developed using RenderWare Version 3.0. The car models themselves could be a wee tad better, but their use of reflections (when they pass under lights, graze other cars, etc.) are tight.

Things get quite eye-opening when you crash (or when you see your oppenents bite it big time).... all hell does indeed break loose: You see your car chassis break apart and ricochet across its surroundings. Even the pieces of your car break apart and bend like crazy (even more dramatic compared to what you saw in Burnout 2). When your car bashes against the environment, you see crazy spark and light effects that compliment your pathetic destruction. Woo, good stuff!

The demo only showcases one racing course through the city, but even the city is teeming with more detail compared to the already pimp looking Burnout 2: POI. The buildings and skyline are crisp.....but since you'll be paying attention to your aggressive driving for mass pointage, perhaps you you won't have time to notice, haha!

Music/Sound Effects

The audio showcase heard in Burnout 3 is more or less the same compared to the aural experience of Burnout 2. When you engage your nitro boost, your hear your car "whistle" as it floors down the highway with flare. Speaking of "flare", your hear your boost gauge "on fire" as you zip down the streets and alleys taking down your opponents....nice touch. And when you crash, you hear your chassis' metal grind against the street and surroundings.....oohh, painful to hear!

Gameplay

They don't subtitle Burnout 3 with "Takedown" for nothing. That's the name of the game hear. In addition to racing to vye for first place, you're totally encouraged to drive aggressively and take down your opponents....by slamming into them, bashing them into guardrails, leading them into oncoming traffic.....you name it. When you take them down, the camera pans over to them in slow-motion, and you see their demise. The camera cuts back to you and your racing, and its off to more continuous racing rampage. The more dramatic and style you take down your opponents, the more points for score you earn.

Opponent A.I. is also aggressive, as they'll attempt to nudge you from the back or sideswipe you into oblivion. A.I. smartness range from witty to just stupid.....you'll see them smack into traffic or tail you with determination. In essence, just like what was had in Burnout 2...heh.

The breakdown of the controls (applicable for this demo) is as follows:

X = Accelerate
Square = Brake
Triangle = Camera Toggle
Circle = (nothing)
D-Pad = Steering
Left Analog = Steering
Right Analog = Acclerate/Brake
R1 = Boost/Induce Slow-Motion (for crash replays)
L1 = Look Back

All drifting through corners is handling by the brake button....there's no handbrake to use for powersliding here. Powerslider purists may be miffed, but the controls are responsive and easy for all sorts of insane driving antics.

Real-world cars are out the door, but Criterion's selection of would-be cars provide the all the thrills you need.

The demo is quite short, with just one lap and one city track to give a test run. But, wow. Just wow. The sense of speed is amazing and exhilarating, and the gameplay is oh-so-good fun and taut. You'll definitely be playing this over and over again at the kiosk (or wherever you'll get to experience this fine racing beast). Too bad Criterion didn't have more meat to sample.....that would've been even more fine.

Verdict

Hands-down a very, very strong contender for arcade racer of the year. Gran Turismo 4 may take the cake on the simluation and real-world scenarios end, but Burnout 3 takes the cake for ultimate crashing and pile-up scoring bliss. It's total fun to see your car wreck and bite it big time, and it's very tense to negotiate city traffice to outwit, outsmart, and outcrash your racing competition.

The final version of Burnout 3 will feature over 30 locations spanning North America, Asia, and Europe. In terms of car selection, the game will have over 60 cars to drive. Multiplayer for offline experiences will have 6 modes of play. And of course, both the PS2 and Xbox versions will go all out with online racing modes of mayhem and spectacular destruction.

Hands-down a must-buy on release date, Burnout 3: Takedown is no-holds barred relentless for all you speed demons and crash freaks....the true definition of white-knuckle action! Slow-ass grandmas and pansies need not apply! :p

ourumov

Thanks Calista...Pretty much what I expected...I hope the tracks are more varied than in B2...more Burnout style.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thanks CalistaR :)

Solid

New videos

Edit: Wow @ videos! I hope this game supports 60Hz and Widescreen like B2 did. Now that the serie is EA'd you never know.. Oh and I want KMH not MPH! Thanks, Criterion ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome demo. I've been playing it a lot lately (PAL version fixed to NTSC). It's just flat out incredible what has Criterion got out of PS2 visually.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I was watching some new movies IGN has and I just ran into the first sour note (or two) due to the EA purchase/collaboration: EA Trax. The cheese rock instrumental stuff that Criterion created themselves for the first two games may not have been the epitome of creative videogame music, but at least it was better tailored to the overall experience. The licensed EA Trax songs just seem out of place, sounding like they are simply slapped on top of the rest of the aural experience. And then there's a DJ that breaks in at one point in the videos, which doesn't help.

Also, saw a billboard in one video for NFS:U2... o_O

Solid

If it have anything like SSX3's soundtrack I'm gonna love it. One of the best licensed soundtracks this gen (after Vice City ofcourse).

I'm waiting on the Xbox demo, and I figure that OXM will have a demo real soon. I prefer racing games on the Xbox controller. I don't have a racing wheel yet for the PS2, but I may get one with GT4.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
ourumov said:
Thanks Calista...Pretty much what I expected...I hope the tracks are more varied than in B2...more Burnout style.

There will definitely be more variation in tracks. Even more exotic locales to boot. It's not all in cities anymore that's for sure. :)

Ar_ said:
My super short impression: about as good as Burnout 2.

Definitely not. Burnout 3 is leaps and bounds over Burnout 2. (And I played the hell out of Burnout 2.)

isamu said:
Thanks CalistaR

^_^

kaching said:
I was watching some new movies IGN has and I just ran into the first sour note (or two) due to the EA purchase/collaboration: EA Trax. The cheese rock instrumental stuff that Criterion created themselves for the first two games may not have been the epitome of creative videogame music, but at least it was better tailored to the overall experience. The licensed EA Trax songs just seem out of place, sounding like they are simply slapped on top of the rest of the aural experience. And then there's a DJ that breaks in at one point in the videos, which doesn't help.

I hope some of Criterion's tunage makes it in. Because I'd hate to be force-fed all those crappy EA Trax tunes. Heh.

Agent X

I also got the PS2 demo of Burnout 3 yesterday. Here's a few comments on things I've noticed with regard to the gameplay, and how they relate to Burnout 2.

The collisions are a little more forgiving than in Burnout 2, probably because the game now encourages you to sideswipe the other cars in an attempt to force them off the road (hopefully into walls and other obstacles). This is a great addition to the series.

Burnout 3 has a wider range for detecting near misses--you don't have to be quite as close to another car for a near miss to register. Personally, I hope they tighten this up a bit before release, as it seems almost too easy to rack up near misses now.

The demo doesn't have any music. The sound effects so far seem passable--nothing bad, but nothing outstanding, either. The addition of music to the final game should greatly enhance the experience.

One aspect that I found both amusing and annoying is the way that a "takedown" causes the game to suddenly go into a sort of "slow-motion replay", where the camera spins around to show another angle (usually a side view) of the opposing car meeting its demise, and then thrusts you back into the action afterward. It's kind of fun to watch the first few times, but on the other hand I really hope the final game has this implemented as an option that can be disabled by the user. The shift to slo-mo is jarring, disorienting, and throws off the whole pacing of the game. Maybe they can save the slo-mo effects for the post-race replays, as it would be much more effective there.

By the way, if you end up in a crash, I've noticed that holding the boost button causes the crash sequence to shift into slow-motion. It will do so as long as you continue to hold the button; when you release it, it will resume normal speed.

There are now six cars (including your own) involved in a race (up from four in Burnout 2). For those unfamiliar with the series, note that this isn't the total number of cars on the course, as there's plenty of other traffic to weave through. It's just that there are six cars that are competing to get to the finish line first, and a bunch of other vehicles that just happen to be driving on the roads that you're speeding through. :) The computer-controlled racers seem smarter now, and can use many of the same tactics to ram you off the road. At one point, it even appeared that one computer racer forced another one off the road. If they've truly implemented AI routines that treat each computerized racer as competing with each other (rather than five racers acting together just to prevent you from succeeding), then this will go a long way in making the races more believable.

Overall, the demo left a very good impression on me. There are obviously a few problems that need to be addressed, but for the most part it seems to be coming together nicely. I'm eagerly looking forward to the release of the final game in just a little more than a month.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The crashes look soooooooooooooooooo cool! And yes, you can turn off the slow-mo feature.

i played this demo at Best Buy the other day, and besides being on a shitty little moniter which made it impossible to judge how good the gfx are, it played fun as hell. Can't wait. This and GTA:SA might be the only games i buy the rest of the year.

Meier

I (and many others) have been hyping this game (Xbox version for me though) since E3 for good reason. Clearly the best racer there.

BeOnEdge

Banned
crash mode looks little weird this time around for some reason and seeing that NFSU2 billboard made me wanna cry. and the music is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad. if the XBOX version doesnt have custom soundtracks i may just call EA and simply scream into the phone once a day.

Forsete

Videos look excellent..

Except.. the DUDE music.. I cant stand shit like that (see video 1 and especially video 5), argh.. I hope you can mute specific tracks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
if the XBOX version doesnt have custom soundtracks i may just call EA and simply scream into the phone once a day.
I'm pretty sure it has it. That, and the force feedback wheel support on the PS2 version are pretty much the only differences between the two version as even the graphics apparently look pretty much identical.

Top Bottom