• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2: Who's getting TOCA Race Driver 2?

Ranger X

Ok this game is the closest a non-Gran Turismo game have been from Gran Turismo series and it's:

8 players online
Best damage engine after Burnout series
USB headset compatible
Weather engine
More then 8 cars in the same race (there's many, i didn't count)
Good graphics (only the finest racing will beat those)
60 fps
52 real race tracks (Catalunya exclusive PS2)
Best controls after GT series
49.99 $Can (39.99 US - i guess)

No online for GT4 until i don't know when? Thank you Polyphony you're all kind and everything but my money i give to Codemasters.
Who's joining me? Let's gather people!

Ranger X

Gek54 said:
Me me me me me

Nice! You're one of the Gafers i was looking for. Spread the new with me dood. This game deserve sales.
I have problems with my hub right now but i may be online as soon a later tonight. Same nick as here between.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm kinda tapped out on racers where all you do is race to gain points to advance to the next series of races....

Ranger X

Mr_Furious said:
I can't speak for the PS2 version but the Xbox version is great and well worth the $30

I tried a couple of races and it's exactly like the Xbox version. I mean, you won't have as sharp as Xbox textures when the camera is really near but hey, i'm not stopping my car in "bumper view" just to check if it looks good...

Oh and Gek, i'm done with my god damned hub. I'm going online in the next hour

Hajaz

i didnt like the xbox version too much. particulary the multiplayer sucked

GT4 will be far superior, and should be playable online on xlink anyway.

gtmax

i'm getting this also. it seems to do everything gt4 doesn't. i also hear it supports the gt pro wheel and it has a sim mode in there somewhere.

Graphics are good enough for me.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Mr_Furious said:
I can't speak for the PS2 version but the Xbox version is great and well worth the $30
And now the Xbox version of ToCA 2 comes with Colin McRae 04 bundled, still for $30.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If the second plays anything like the 1st. Then it will end up being the 2nd worst sim racer of all time. 1st being the original PRD. What a pile of ass that was...

Shinobi

It's miles better. You don't stop immediately when you brake, which I always hated...it's a lot more realistic now. The visuals were always fantastic on the XBox in the two games, while they fumbled that ball big time in the initial PS2 offering (man did it look sad). I assume the second game looks a lot closer to the XBox version.

It's as good a racer as I've played this generation...the control with the XBox controller is just delicious, and it's a lot of fun battling it out with 15 or 20 cars. The only two problems I have with the game is the rally mode physics being complete bile (guess they didn't want to cut into Colin McRae), and the inability to save between races in the individual championships (hope they changed this on PS2). Otherwise it's a stellar racer, playing a lot more like the simulation-type game that the earlier TOCA games on PSX and PC were. Driving the Aussie V8 Supercars at Bathurst, the Ford GT at Laguna or the Formula Fords at Surfers Paradise is a total blast. I highly recommend it.

Gek54

Lightning took out not only my router but every network card that was attached to it, even the PS2 NA...so pissed off right now I am going to race around my block just to spite the atmosphere! AAAAHHHH!

Ranger X

Wow. I had a blast last night! I was even late to work this morning!
Common and gather people, we miss people online!
Anyway, just wanted to share that the game is damn good and racing with other serious racers like me was OMGWTF-awesome.

Gek54

Ah, got it to work with Mode 3 enabled. Damn, this is a really really good racing game. I cant believe the PS2 is pushing these physics, damage model and a 20 car grid with such nice visuals all at a constant buttery smooth 60fps. All the different types of racing all bundled into one game with online support, which I havnt even been able to touch all for $29. Holy shit, Codemasters have redeemed themselves after the travesty of CMR2005.

Edit: Oh and the AI is superb and supports 900 steering, the story is also icing on the cake.

Alf

Banned
does the extra track in the PS2 version make it the better version than the PC? And can PC play against PS2 or Xbox? I've got a usable setup for my Driving Force wheel setup on my PC and no setup for PS2 so I'm more inclined to get the PC version.

Top Bottom