• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix was working, but tonight its not. Anybody else care to try for me. Comes up with a netflix app ui box that says can't connect and shoots me back to the menus where you pick what you want to watch.

itxaka

Defeatist
Raistlin said:
itxaka,

lol We're sharing a brain right now :p

BTW - I'm actually kind of guessing here. But the fact we seem to think it's handled in the same manner tells me it's probably something we've read way back when.

I blame alcohol :D
Charles noooo, get out of my head!

Replicant

Credit card is the least of my worry. My CC has triple security systems where it normally asks for CVV2 then when it verifies with the merchant's server, it'll actually contact my bank's server, asking for more verification. My bank will actually send their pop up, asking me another question and a pin number. Police will be contacted if it's wrong and if it's not, the bank usually still calls me if I had made a purchase at a place that I never used before. Failing all that, one can always cancel their card so it's not a biggie.

No, what I worry the most is the identity theft. God knows how much information I put in there. I hope Sony managed to locked everything the minute they found the breach or at least wipe out all personal information. God damn it.

Replicant said:
Credit card is the least of my worry. My CC has triple security systems where it normally asks for CVV2 then when it verifies with the merchant's server, it'll actually contact my bank's server, asking for more verification. My bank will actually send their pop up, asking me another question and a pin number. Police will be contacted if it's wrong and if it's not, the bank usually still calls me if I had made a purchase at a place that I never used before. Failing all that, one can always cancel their card so it's not a biggie.

No, what I worry the most is the identity theft. God knows how much information I put in there. I hope Sony managed to locked everything the minute they found the breach or at least wipe out all personal information. God damn it.

Not sure why you are so worried. Whatever information you put on there was probably attainable in about 2 minutes using google. Although it's still bullshit that it's all wrapped up in a nice package for them now.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MiDNiGHTS said:
Not sure why you are so worried. Whatever information you put on there was probably attainable in about 2 minutes using google. Although it's still bullshit that it's all wrapped up in a nice package for them now.

It better be shiny D_D

They open my package... It will be nothing

KoruptData said:
Netflix was working, but tonight its not. Anybody else care to try for me. Comes up with a netflix app ui box that says can't connect and shoots me back to the menus where you pick what you want to watch.
I'm watching netflix on my PS3 right now.

I haven't had my question answered yet. How are people saying that new lines of credit can be opened with this breach? Isn't a valid SSN needed in order for new lines of credit to be opened in your name? There honestly can't be much with a person's address, number, zip, etc.

KoruptData said:

Works for me. Watching this terrible Quasi-Documentary called Lost Reality.

Replicant

MiDNiGHTS said:

That's pretty much it. Before, it's just lose unconnected strings of informations. Now it's all neatly presented with some added infos. The uncertainty comes mostly from the fact that I don't know what can be used in ID theft. I hope it's nothing that we lost from PSN.

snackman

Banned
Dude all they need is you Social Security to get some tax money and get a few $1,000 not sure what level they will take this but even the lowest criminals with no IQ can go pretty far with that. But if they really have your REAL address and phone then it depends I guess.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
KoruptData said:

Worked for me, just watched some Top Gear a few minutes ago

statham

my paypal account got charged $1.00, I have no money in my paypal account, so it charged my bank. I haven't bought anything with paypal in months.

StuBurns

Banned
statham said:
my paypal account got charged $1.00, I have no money in my paypal account, so it charged my bank. I haven't bought anything with paypal in months.
That happens when you register a new card as part of the verification process doesn't it? Have you got a new card? If not contact your bank.

Prosper

Neo Member
It sounds like a verification transaction, like when you sign up for a service, might want to change the password to your PayPal to be sure though.

Hex

Banned
WonkyPanda said:
I haven't had my question answered yet. How are people saying that new lines of credit can be opened with this breach? Isn't a valid SSN needed in order for new lines of credit to be opened in your name? There honestly can't be much with a person's address, number, zip, etc.

Facts are irrelevant here, the dramatic impact of the doom and gloom is what is important.
it can not be done

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
WonkyPanda said:
How is it possible to open new lines of credit without a SSN?

This is what I wanna know. To be perfectly honest, all of this information regarding Address, name, birthday, etc. This information is everywhere, that's a fact. I get it I do, I'm paranoid about Identity theft, but without the SSN there's really nothing to worry about.

Prosper

Neo Member
msdstc said:
This is what I wanna know. To be perfectly honest, all of this information regarding Address, name, birthday, etc. This information is everywhere, that's a fact. I get it I do, I'm paranoid about Identity theft, but without the SSN there's really nothing to worry about.

Yeah where I'm from they usually need around "100 points" of ID - which includes things like drivers licenses and utility bills.

snackman said:
Dude all they need is you Social Security to get some tax money and get a few $1,000 not sure what level they will take this but even the lowest criminals with no IQ can go pretty far with that. But if they really have your REAL address and phone then it depends I guess.

Ok, but you're eluding the problem at hand. How can a SSN be obtained from this intrusion?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sony said:
"Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack."

Really, Sony? Also, Clearly it was not sophisticated enough...

I'm sure everyone glossed over Gamespot's article about Kaz Hirai and PSN blackout.
"Almost everything Hirai has been trying to do has an element of network," Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities analyst Masahiko Ishino told the news service. "Sony's strategy to connect its products through network is very crucial for the company's transformation. Sony may struggle if the business gets disrupted."

How Hirai copes with the PSN outage--which has already sparked government investigations and civil lawsuits--will likely affect his chances of succeeding current Sony Corp. CEO Sir Howard Stringer. As part of the announcement of Hirai's promotion, Stringer himself said that he was the frontrunner. "This is an opportunity for the board to watch Hirai-san and judge his performance," said Stringer.
If Hirai wants that promotion, he better start rebranding PSN and start an all out media offensive with "PSN relaunch", rather than stay in damage control mode.

Zoe

Lonely1 said:
Really, Sony? Also, Clearly it was not sophisticated enough...

As has been stated before, it's standard to not encrypt things such as name, address, DOB, etc.

Chrange

Banned
Before the launch of the PS2 Kutaragi said PSN would be like jacking into the Matrix. I guess this is the part where we got taken out by that damned pill!

Raistlin

Chrange said:
Before the launch of the PS2 Kutaragi said PSN would be like jacking into the Matrix. I guess this is the part where we got taken out by that damned pill!
more like
matrix_agents.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
Ok. 2 possibilities:
A) The information is useless.
B) Criminals can use the information for something.
With A leading to two conclusions:
A1) Criminals were really after CC numbers or some other useful information and Sony pulled the plug before.
A2) Conspiracy theory about this being hackers getting back at Sony over CFW debacle.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Id like to throw a possible wrench into all this....im going to suggest the possibility that they also obtained our phone number as well. Aside from me calling into Sony's support number (which i have before...several times), do they ask for our phone number anywhere on PSN?

Coincidentally (and this has never happened to me before yesterday), several days after this breach where our info was comprimised, i get a txt message from a number i didnt know out of the blue saying "hey..who is this?" I said "who's this"? This person eventually said that they out of the blue got a picture message from me with no txt, and only an attachment, which they couldnt open. Is it possible that our phone numbers were taken too, or was it just a big coincidence??

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Id like to throw a possible wrench into all this....im going to suggest the possibility that they also obtained our phone number as well. Aside from me calling into Sony's support number (which i have before...several times), do they ask for our phone number anywhere on PSN?

Coincidentally (and this has never happened to me before yesterday), several days after this breach where our info was comprimised, i get a txt message from a number i didnt know out of the blue saying "hey..who is this?" I said "who's this"? This person eventually said that they out of the blue got a picture message from me with no txt, and only an attachment, which they couldnt open. Is it possible that our phone numbers were taken too, or was it just a big coincidence??

Well it depends, do you remember putting your cellphone number as personal data when you register your user for the first time in the PSN? if it is yes then yeah it may be possible.

lupinko

Sblargh said:
Ok. 2 possibilities:
A1) Criminals were really after CC numbers or some other useful information and Sony pulled the plug before.
A2) Conspiracy theory about this being hackers getting back at Sony over CFW debacle.
Just three weeks ago, the company that best buy deals with that stores customer data for rewardzone got hacked. I got an email from best buy about that.

Coincidence ? Who knows ????

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Well it depends, do you remember putting your cellphone number as personal data when you register your user for the first time in the PSN? if it is yes then yeah it may be possible.

To be honest, i cant remember....but that sucks if that data was taken too. Another aspect users should be aware of as a possibilty.

snack

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?

A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

har har

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?
A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Like a free game, Sony

Kyoufu

Nizz

Raistlin said:
more like
http://mbun.com/images/matrix_agents.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Lol!

[QUOTE=Sblargh]Ok. 2 possibilities:
A1) [B]Criminals were really after CC numbers or some other useful information and Sony pulled the plug before.[/B]
A2) Conspiracy theory about this being hackers getting back at Sony over CFW debacle.[/QUOTE]
We can only hope if that's the case, Sony was able to pull the plug in time.

Zoe

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

No

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
$10.00 to all accounts that were made before the PSN Hack Maintenance please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom