• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've received it on the e-mail accounts I use for my US and Japanese accounts, but not on the one I use for my main (EU) account. Kinda weird.

yoopoo

Banned
The folks over at the PSX-Scene forums are reporting that over 2.2 million customers' names, addresses, phone numbers and credit/debit card information is up for grabs to the highest bidder, including the crucial three digit CVV2 numbers.
Kevin Stevens, a Security Researcher, has been following the story and tweeted earlier, "Supposedly the hackers selling the DB says it has: fname, lnam, address, zip, country, phone, email, password, dob, ccnum, CVV2, exp date", but added that "it is not a rumor, it was a conversation on a criminal forum."
http://www.neowin.net/news/psn-database-with-22-million-credit-card-details-up-for-sale

yoopoo said:
The folks over at the PSX-Scene forums are reporting that over 2.2 million customers' names, addresses, phone numbers and credit/debit card information is up for grabs to the highest bidder, including the crucial three digit CVV2 numbers.

http://www.neowin.net/news/psn-database-with-22-million-credit-card-details-up-for-sale

Everyone get your calculators ready.

2.2 Million * $381.00
= $838 Million

I'm sure the 2.2 Million figure is bogus, but what the hell.

Sony:

out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code, sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) and expiration date may have been obtained.

Neowin:

"Supposedly the hackers selling the DB says it has: fname, lnam, address, zip, country, phone, email, password, dob, ccnum, CVV2, exp date", but added that "it is not a rumor, it was a conversation on a criminal forum."

Which one to trust...

ClosingADoor said:
Which one to trust...

I'm certainly not going to trust the company who fucked up in the first place when there's no third party to check on them. It's like when my internet provider tells me to use their speedtest instead of something else when the tech guy is here to fix it. Yeah no thanks.

Not that it means or changes anything with Sony though. I just choose not to believe them and take my own security measures like changing the card.

larvi

gluv65 said:
Another company hacked and reported it. Shit is getting crazy.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-2...rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&dlvrit=142337

DSLReports says member information stolen

Sucks, but at least it appears they were on the ball regarding notifying affected customers about the breach:

"The data was taken on Wednesday afternoon, recognized and blocked at 7 p.m., and by Wednesday evening all the active accounts received e-mail notifications advising them to change their password if they share it with that e-mail address and all passwords were changed at that time,"

Salaadin

Rebel Leader said:
I believe not. I don't remember ever putting that in.
FAQ in the OP:

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

If someone is saying that they have a database with those numbers, its gotta be fake because we never gave those numbers.

MalboroRed said:
There is a forum for criminals?

Well I was googling a question I had on steam the other day and one of the responses was some hack site and the basic description was apparently a post openly talking about how to hack and steal steam accounts.

So yeah I guess so.

awwww now that we find out our CC #s are safe, what are the doom and gloomers going to stir paranoia about now?

looks like the entertainment is going to be slowly fading away from the thread....

gcubed

KingOfKong said:
awwww now that we find out our CC #s are safe, what are the doom and gloomers going to stir paranoia about now?

looks like the entertainment is going to be slowly fading away from the thread....

The fact that passwords and security questions were leaked is still bad

seabee said:
But is it available to those who know how to set up their avatar correctly?
GMDC_TOUCHE_Sharenator_Moti_Posters-s355x453-79984-535.jpg

gcubed said:
The fact that passwords and security questions were leaked is still bad

Yeah, now we're gonna get "my email got stolen" reports instead of "someone charged $1000 at a gas station in China" reports.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
KingOfKong said:

Rest assured that I have delt with the persons when quelling them...*heh*.... was out of the question

gmanl.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
Zoe said:
Uh why do you guys keep saying that?
They ask for it as its required to authorize a transaction, they just call it differently (card security code or something like that)
Cvv is mandatory for any sale where the card is not show or used physically.

gcubed

itxaka said:
Uh why do you guys keep saying that?
They ask for it as its required to authorize a transaction, they just call it differently (card security code or something like that)
Cvv is mandatory for any sale where the card is not show or used physically.

I have never once been asked for the security code when buying on psn... maybe I did

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my heart goes out to the poor Socom developers. I don't play it, but man, this must just be crushing for them.

KingOfKong said:

Did Sony finally confirm that the Credit Cards did not get stolen?

gcubed

itxaka said:
Mastercard?

I had to input the cvv several times on the European an American store as well.

I'm pretty sure my MC is on there. Ill have to edit that because its been so long since I did it but you have me doubting what I remember

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure where people got the idea that you don't enter your CSC, cause I can distinctly remember entering it a few times...

DavieC726

Technically they are right, to anyone who joined the PSN no big credit card stuff was obtained, but if you ever brought anything off of it, which most people probably have, This isUndisputed proof that All Credit Cards had the CVV2 information on the PSN Network.

editbilling6a.jpg

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, I'm not sure where people got the idea that you don't enter your CSC, cause I can distinctly remember entering it a few times...

"(excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom