• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quasar said:
Is it? I mean. If everyone just cancels the affected cards that's going to really limit any hurt to consumers, even if the data was collected and decrypted.

For example, I didn't cancel my card. I've got quite a few security systems on it, and it's rather new, and my bank gave me quite a few reassurances. If someone uses my card for 50€+ operations, I know it instantly.

However, if a dude starts buying a dozen 0.99€ apps on the iTunes store, I need to monitor that myself.

It's very unlikely to happen, but it's the stuff that flies under the radar.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What does everyone think "partially up" even means? I mean, it's hard to imagine PSN without both online play and the store (and I'm sure getting the store up is one of Sony's top priorities).

Quasar

Seraphis Cain said:
What does everyone think "partially up" even means? I mean, it's hard to imagine PSN without both online play and the store (and I'm sure getting the store up is one of Sony's top priorities).

Partially to me means online play working but no financial transactions possible. That's kind of what I expect.

Vagabundo

VisanidethDM said:
Let's try to be rational here.
There's CC scams, and those are serious, but also covered quite well by the system.
If identity theft, based on the info you gave Sony, was actually a dangerous event, Facebook wouldn't exist.

Those things I have listed are real results of ID theft. You might not believe ID theft is possible, but it happens quite a lot and people find it very difficult to prove that they did not run up these debts or have criminal charges.

Having said that I doubt that most of the information in the database would be of much additional use to an fraudster. SSNs appear in court documents and it is a easiest way to get them, if you've been in court in the US: speeding tickets, divorces, ... But there are other ways. Also there could be some less easily obtainable information in the secret question, but that varies.

I myself do not have any information on my profile. As usual, with all online database, if they don't really really need it I fill in garbage as a rule.

Anyway I was responding to Sony Defenders who were saying that personal information loss at Sony was not that big a deal. There is the potential for abuse with this data apart from the CC and password issues, and that is why there are strict rules about how it is stored.

Sony were extremely negligent with storing the PSN password, poor at keeping our personal information secure and possibly allowed CC information to get out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wouldn't mind if there were no financial transactions possible for a little while, but I at least hope the store is up and functional for free stuff, like demos and such.

And whatever free shit Sony decides to give us. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
VisanidethDM said:
I'd instead argue the opposite.

You don't steal 77 million accounts and use them. It's too big. The entire system is alerted now, the bank system knows if some shit happens they're paying it, not customers, and the security level on those cards is through the roof right now.

This is something huge, and if something huge comes out of this, it will shake the customer's faith in online accounts, in banking and in online transactions. The system will defend itself, and if something slips, you'll see changes in the legislation in order to assuage the public.

I'm not ruling out someone will try to get some cash from this, but we're talking about a form of burglary that can be stopped in half a second by the banking system, and it's at an extremely high level of risk for the perpetrator. You want to be as stealthy as you can, not make the headline news with 77 millions account stole.
Well you could be right of course. But stills sounds like a targeted attack to me.
They don't need to sell anything right now and I'm sure that in the event of a cc steal probably a low percentage takes preventing measures as canceling their cards or changing passwords which means that an attacker could sit on the data enough time.

Sew

Vagabundo said:
Anyway I was responding to Sony Defenders who were saying that personal information loss at Sony was not that big a deal. There is the potential for abuse with this data apart from the CC and password issues, and that is why there are strict rules about how it is stored.
Agreed. Even if our CC details remain safe, it's a cold comfort. CC fraud is easy to detect and stamp out on a case by case basis. Identity theft is much more insidious, and may not become apparent for months or years.

I suspect some social engineering or phishing would be required to fill in the gaps in the data they have, before any real harm could be done. The purchase histories are a bit of a worry though.

szaromir said:
CC data might have been stolen and it took Sony 10 days to admit that? Well done Sony, class act as always.

No not really, they havent even said if cc data has been took yet and they said in one of there first messages on it that they didnt know the full breach until the security teasm they brought in told them on monday.

Kccitystar

I know I might get clowned for this but anyone think that it could have been an inside job than someone packet sniffing and having a field day with Sony's security?

szaromir said:
CC data might have been stolen and it took Sony 10 days to admit that? Well done Sony, class act as always.

Christ, did you not read the thread before posting? This has been a topic addressed more than once, the whole "Sony knew but didn't say anything" fiasco.

TLDR Sony was aware of an intrusion (they said so themselves and subsequently shut down PSN to see if these hackers left any trail to go by), but couldn't determine the extent of the intrusion. After PSN was shut down, they contracted a third party security firm to investigate and find out just what these hackers got away with.

Analyzing a ton of servers to check for breaches/potential holes takes a lot of time, especially servers that hold information on 70+ million PSN users. Not saying this is the reason but think realistically here, had they known CC info could have been compromised from the detection of intrusion, they would have said something from the jump, otherwise we would have had a class action lawsuit by now.

Oh wait.

glaurung

Read some of the FAQs that SCEI has been pumping out and it looks like there are some serious contradictions in them.

SCEI claims that CC information in the user database was encrypted, although regular user data was not.

A multitude of CFW sites and random news snippets around the world claim the opposite - that CC information was not encrypted and was instead provided in the DB table along with all other user data in simple text form.

Sad if true.

Hanmik

glaurung said:
Read some of the FAQs that SCEI has been pumping out and it looks like there are some serious contradictions in them.

SCEI claims that CC information in the user database was encrypted, although regular user data was not.

A multitude of CFW sites and random news snippets around the world claim the opposite - that CC information was not encrypted and was instead provided in the DB table along with all other user data in simple text form.

Sad if true.

so who do you believe.. Sony or A multitude of CFW sites and random news snippets around the world ?

glaurung

Hanmik said:
so who do you believe.. Sony or A multitude of CFW sites and random news snippets around the world ?
Honestly, I don't know who to believe any more.

Considering the amount of CC misuse already reported, the CC data could have been unencrypted just as well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hanmik said:

As a general rule it's probably best to take the word of mega-corporations who have something to lose with a grain of salt.

Ushojax said:
As a general rule it's probably best to take the word of mega-corporations who have something to lose with a grain of salt.

As a general rule it's probably best to take the word of certain communities, who wishes for a certain mega-corporation to lose, with a grain of salt.

BeeDog

Good thing they confirmed our download history won't be affected. So the only thing that stays unanswered for now is just how exactly they're planning on implementing the first-time log-in/password recovery system.

Sony aren't going to put out an official statement – especially in a case that's going to get this sort of public scrutiny – unless everything they say is true, or they have a good and demonstrable reason to believe is true, at the time of the statement. Not to mention that a third party security firm is involved here and isn't going to damage their own reputation by lying for Sony.

The whole "credit card data isn't encrypted" rumour started because some people misread a hacker chat log and totally misunderstood what was being said about the SSL transfer process for credit card data, which is completely separate to how that data is stored in a database.

As other people have mentioned, to me the issue isn't the credit card data anyway – getting a new credit card is a fairly quick and easy process. The personal info is the infuriating part of this theft, since getting a new name, address, and date of birth is a little fucking harder...

Vagabundo said:
Those things I have listed are real results of ID theft. You might not believe ID theft is possible, but it happens quite a lot and people find it very difficult to prove that they did not run up these debts or have criminal charges.

Having said that I doubt that most of the information in the database would be of much additional use to an fraudster. SSNs appear in court documents and it is a easiest way to get them, if you've been in court in the US: speeding tickets, divorces, ... But there are other ways. Also there could be some less easily obtainable information in the secret question, but that varies.

I myself do not have any information on my profile. As usual, with all online database, if they don't really really need it I fill in garbage as a rule.

Sony were extremely negligent with storing the PSN password, poor at keeping our personal information secure and possibly allowed CC information to get out.

The nonbold part I won't comment, as it's rational and respectable customer disappointment.

However, I'd clarify on the bolded. Identity theft does exist, and for the most part it's a white/victimless crime; the kind of operations you can do through identity theft are limited, and the consequence on the actual person being victim of the theft are generally null. I'm talking about Europe here, but opening a loan through identity theft isn't possible; the kind of data required and the controls the loaning firm will perform are too extensive.

As I said, the case of someone using your card ONCE to buy something expensive in a shop is frequent, and it's also the kind of case covered by insurances. But here we're talking about CC scams.

Let's focus on identity theft: once again, I can't easily picture anyone getting anything serious out of it. Sure, let's assume someone steals enough of my data to buy a car. On my end, proving it's not me is gonna be quite easy (guy bought a car in a town that isn't my town of residence? I don't actually own the car, I didn't stipulate the insurance on it and so on).
Let's look at the guy now. He's giving the people he's buying the car from a phone address, an address and a ton of personal data he can't counterfect. He's also driving the car, so he needs an insurance, and the insurance won't be in my name, but his, so he's easily spottable once I denounce the issue. But wait, he's actually stipulating the insurance in my name! Cool, but he needs to be mailed his ticket, so he needs to give an address. And if he's stopped by the police? He's also producing a forged driving license with my name and his picture on?

Are you assuming someone will use your facebook/PSN data to start impersonating you 24/7? Do you have any real-life example you can link of something similar happening, where the victims were faced with consequences they couldn't clear themselves from?

As for the "crimes in your name" problem... I don't know what country you're from, but if in your country a person can commit a crime, and go through arrest, trail and bail without a picture being taken and his identity verified, the problem isn't identity theft. Even a simple speeding fine would be sent at your address. Or you'd see the bills coming in your bank account. You'd protest, you'd have an investigation, and unless the guy is impersonating you 24/7 while having no residence and traveling the country without staying in the same town for more than a week, he's be caught.

I'd be extremely intrigued with some real life examples of identity theft-based crimes, because my theoretical experience (based on my studies and limited court expertise) leads me to doubt there's any sensible criminal trying to pull them off with success.

megateto

Fuck me!!! I came across with a list of around 4000 email accounts with their PSN IDs and their passwords... And they are legit...

BeeDog

Yay, just got the PSN mail in broken Babelfish-Swedish. Cool to see 1) I still exist in their records, and 2) that I can still receive PS-related mails. :p

snap0212

Kccitystar said:
I know I might get clowned for this but anyone think that it could have been an inside job than someone packet sniffing and having a field day with Sony's security?

Christ, did you not read the thread before posting? This has been a topic addressed more than once, the whole "Sony knew but didn't say anything" fiasco.

TLDR Sony was aware of an intrusion (they said so themselves and subsequently shut down PSN to see if these hackers left any trail to go by), but couldn't determine the extent of the intrusion. After PSN was shut down, they contracted a third party security firm to investigate and find out just what these hackers got away with.

Analyzing a ton of servers to check for breaches/potential holes takes a lot of time, especially servers that hold information on 70+ million PSN users. Not saying this is the reason but think realistically here, had they known CC info could have been compromised from the detection of intrusion, they would have said something from the jump, otherwise we would have had a class action lawsuit by now.

Oh wait.
They just have to assume everything was stolen once they knew there were intruders. Everything else is naive. You can come out and say you think everything was stolen and revoke that statement later. Many companies have done that in the past and there even was an article posted about how this is better than waiting before telling anything.

Hanmik

BeeDog said:
Yay, just got the PSN mail in broken Babelfish-Swedish. Cool to see 1) I still exist in their records, and 2) that I can still receive PS-related mails. :p

if your theory about the password recovery system should turn out to be right .. (that we will get an activation email).. then you should be worried, because it took 3 days from the blog about the mails, untill you had the email.,. imagine that happening to activation mails..

test_account

XP-39C²
Speevy said:
Not to mention every dummy account would get that.
Indeed. One person might end up getting like $100 if he/she has 5 accounts :)

snap0212 said:
There's this Reputation system on Xbox Live. You can prefer or avoid players and say why you did so. People thought I was not supportive.
Ah ok, i see. I didnt know about this rating system on Xbox Live, thanks for the info =)

BeeDog

Hanmik said:
if your theory about the password recovery system should turn out to be right .. (that we will get an activation email).. then you should be worried, because it took 3 days from the blog about the mails, untill you had the email.,. imagine that happening to activation mails..

I doubt this, because mails generated by user input/demand should get out faster than forced mails to 77m+ accounts.

Slavik81

VisanidethDM said:
The nonbold part I won't comment, as it's rational and respectable customer disappointment.

However, I'd clarify on the bolded. Identity theft does exist, and for the most part it's a white/victimless crime; the kind of operations you can do through identity theft are limited, and the consequence on the actual person being victim of the theft are generally null. I'm talking about Europe here, but opening a loan through identity theft isn't possible; the kind of data required and the controls the loaning firm will perform are too extensive.
That's a bit of a misuse of the term 'victimless crime'.

While you personally might get repaid by the credit card company, someone pays for the stuff that the thief stole by pretending to be you. That someone is the victim.

megateto

Yes, a list with 4000 PSN ids, with their email accounts and their PSN passwords. I tried to log into two of the linked email accounts to see if the stuff was legit (you know, to see if the PSN and email passwords were the same). The first one didn't work, but the second one did. Got scared to death, posted in gaf.

Zoe

Killthee said:
New blog post over at the NY Times regarding the rumor floating around that the hackers have the CC database and that they tried to sell it back to Sony.

That's the list that contains CVV's which we know makes the claim false.

glaurung said:

Sad if true.

IF that chat log isn't just two guys fooling around, that is only talking about the dangers of sending your credit card information across CFW. The example they gave of an "unencrypted" CC function is the way all web credit card functions are initiated.

test_account

XP-39C²
megateto said:
Fuck me!!! I came across with a list of around 4000 email accounts with their PSN IDs and their passwords... And they are legit...
How can you check that they are legit when PSN is down? Unless your PSN ID was on that list?

EDIT: Nevermind, i see now that you have replied to this =)

jax (old)

Banned
megateto said:

so how do you verifiy the password sare legit if you can't log onto PSN.

Link.

Chris_C

Ushojax said:

If Sony lies about having encrypted the CC data, you can bet they'll have a lot to lose.

stupei

Dude probably isn't going to link to a list that has passwords that apparently work with some of the email accounts on said list on GAF with all the lurkers around. Not sure I'd want him to.

What he probably should do (if it's legit) is get a link to the cops.

xapnder

megateto said:
Fuck me!!! I came across with a list of around 4000 email accounts with their PSN ID and their passwords... And they are legit...

NO.

PSN password = letters and numbers and at least 8

Look at that list again

snap0212

megateto said:
Yes, a list with 4000 PSN ids, with their email accounts and their PSN passwords. I tried to log into two of the linked email accounts to see if the stuff was legit (you know, to see if the PSN and email passwords were the same). The first one didn't work, but the second one did. Got scared to death, posted in gaf.
Did you hand the list over to Sony / law enforcement? I sure hope you did....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom