• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

megateto said:
Tell me exactly where and I'll pass it along. FBI, Sony? Btw, eurogaffer here.

Here's a small task for you: check if any GAF'ers appear on that list, then PM the password you find on the list to that particular GAF'er who can confirm/deny if the password's valid or not.

stupei

xapnder said:
It has nothing to do with the psn

So it's a list of email addresses and passwords that sometimes work with those email addresses.

Even if it has nothing to do with PSN, that's still illegal activity, so what's the problem with reporting it?

Zoe

Linkified said:
Didn't they ask for them either initially when you first tie your cc to the psn or after every transaction though?

They're not supposed to save it even if they do. They don't ask for it after every transaction in America, and there are conflicting recollections of whether they ever did. Apparently they do ask for it in Europe, but the EU FAQ never claimed that they didn't ask for it.

Linkified

Zoe said:
They're not supposed to save it even if they do. They don't ask for it after every transaction in America, and there are conflicting recollections of whether they ever did. Apparently they do ask for it in Europe, but the EU FAQ never claimed that they didn't ask for it.

Well I'm from UK...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Megateto, as some said, could you please check if there are GAFfers in that list and ask them in private if their passwords are legit?

Jax said:
ITT posters continue to make unverifiable claims.
ITT posters continue to make damage control too.

megateto

Guys, there are over 4000 thousand names and emails in there, I just sent a PM to one of the mods who will make a better use of the information.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm sure this has been asked before, but regarding the reports of CC abuse related to PSN, if the CC info was encrypted, how is it possible to get the CC info? Naturally, if they found a way to decrypt this data, then i see how, but if this was the case wouldnt we see much more CC abuse in relation to PSN by now, or?

I do belive that someone has experienced CC abuse after this PSN hack, but i'm just curious how the hackers got a hold of the CC info if it is encrypted.

megateto said:
Yes, a list with 4000 PSN ids, with their email accounts and their PSN passwords. I tried to log into two of the linked email accounts to see if the stuff was legit (you know, to see if the PSN and email passwords were the same). The first one didn't work, but the second one did. Got scared to death, posted in gaf.
How and where did you log in exactly?

jax (old)

Banned
Jocchan said:
Megateto, as some said, could you please check if there are GAFfers in that list and ask them in private if their passwords are legit?

ITT posters continue to make damage control too.

1) had mysterious credit charges
2) found passwords/list online

etc.

I have yet to see anything run by proper media related to PSN for the credit charges based off PSN credit card fraud. I mean, if there are real victims, there'd be a story by now. But apparently some people have had this happen on this forum. Per the timeline of this story breaking.

and now 2)

I'm sorry if it offends your sensiblity that I kind of want proof if someone is going to make such claims.

I don't see why a neogaf forum moderator would be someone better to handle this information. You could even given that link to the IGN/news site editor (1up/giantbomb) and I'm sure any of them would be professional enough about it to do a story without compromising the data saftety of that list..etc. Or forward it on to the proper authorities.

BeeDog

megateto said:
Guys, there are over 4000 thousand names and emails in there, I just sent a PM to one of the mods who will make a better use of the information.

Why can't you search in that supposed file of yours? You have several GAF'ers here who can verify the data, if you do a simple search for their PSN name in that list.

megateto

Jax said:

etc.

I have yet to see anything run by proper media related to PSN for the credit charges based off PSN credit card fraud. I mean, if there are real victims, there'd be a story by now. But apparently some people have had this happen on this forum. Per the timeline of this story breaking.

and now 2)

I'm sorry if it offends your sensiblity that I kind of want proof if someone is going to make such claims.

I don't see why a neogaf forum moderator would be someone better to handle this information. You could even given that link to the IGN/news site editor (1up/giantbomb) and I'm sure any of them would be professional enough about it to do a story without compromising the data saftety of that list..etc. Or forward it on to the proper authorities.

Of course you don't ofend me, Jax, all your points are perfectly reasonable and you would have acted way better than the way I did but you know, nobody is perfect XD. Hopefully duckroll makes things properly and not the way I did it.

Regarding the 4000 thousand thing, it's again my mistake, they are 4046.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jax said:

etc.

and now 2)

Sorry, my post wasn't specifically directed to you. I'm just a bit tired of the tendency in these threads to get two opposing factions trying to one-up each other, in this case both downplaying or overplaying too much what happened. It's generally not good debate, and it sure gets grating over time.

green sticker

Neo Member
spats said:
They don't want to miss another store update day so I'd say it goes up may 3rd.
I've got to agree here. However I am quite interested to hear about what changes were made and if there is a new Gui. We probably won't get any comments on that stuff though.

snap0212

megateto said:
Regarding the 4000 thousand thing, it's again my mistake, they are 4046.
There were some guys who took care of Gawker's users when they were unable to inform them about their data being stolen. You could give the list to them too! IIRC, they sent out e-mails to everyone who had an account there...

> Sony removes OtherOS due to "security reasons". GAF on the whole applauds Sony removing an existing feature to improve security.

> Sony removes PSN due to "security reasons". GAF on the whole implodes due to Sony removing an existing feature to improve security.

Wha?

test_account

XP-39C²
kurtrussell said:
> Sony removes OtherOS due to "security reasons". GAF on the whole applauds Sony removing an existing feature to improve security.

> Sony removes PSN due to "security reasons". GAF on the whole implodes due to Sony removing an existing feature to improve security.

Wha?
As for OtherOS, as snap0212 already mentioned, far from everyone on NeoGAF applauded Sony for doing this.

As for PSN being down, i dont think that anyone (or at least not many) demanded that Sony should keep PSN after we learned what happened, before Sony fixes the security holes.

spats

kurtrussell said:

Wha?

Wtf, when did that ever happen here :lol

xapnder

Hanmik said:
could you please elaborate a little on this..?

PSN password = letters and numbers and at least 8 characters

some passwords on that list = only letter, only numbers, 4,5,6 etc... characters

I tried 4 nick on that list (google). All are users from nextgenupdate. Maybe...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, I cancelled my debit Visa card the other day, and ordered a new one. I think the card number will be the same, but the expiry date and the CCV code should be different. So even if the details (card number) of my cancelled card should have leaked, should I worry since the new CCV and expiry date are different?

xapnder said:

some passwords on that list = only letter, only numbers, 4,5,6 etc... characters

I tried 4 nick on that list. All are users from nextgenupdate. Maybe...
Just went to nextgenupdate. Site is down

xapnder said:

I tried 4 nick on that list. All are users from nextgenupdate. Maybe...
Those guys? Who are they and, more importantly, whose cat is that?

BeeDog

Combichristoffersen said:
So, I cancelled my debit Visa card the other day, and ordered a new one. I think the card number will be the same, but the expiry date and the CCV code should be different. So even if the details (card number) of my cancelled card should have leaked, should I worry since the new CCV and expiry date are different?

I'm pretty sure the card number won't be the same either. I had my card compromised once (fucking ShopTo) and got a new one. Fairly certain I got a new card number as well.

Hanmik

xapnder said:

I tried 4 nick on that list (google). All are users from nextgenupdate. Maybe...

you mean the website that is down right now..?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
BeeDog said:
I'm pretty sure the card number won't be the same either. I had my card compromised once (fucking ShopTo) and got a new one. Fairly certain I got a new card number as well.

I think the card number will be the same, as I couldn't order a new card for some reason, just re-order the card I had cancelled (but I assume they'll change the CCV number and expiry date).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom