• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

shagg_187 said:
Again, those worried about credit card: call your bank and replace the number.

Have you ever had your credit card number stolen? It's not as easy as you seem to think it is.

Sure, the getting a new card part is easy. Disputing all the fradulent charges is not. In my case it took months and having to write a lot of letters to finally get it solved. (Even though it should have been obvious to Bank of America that as an American, I wouldn't be frequenting sex places in Australia...)

So yes, this is a pretty big deal

Account still void of suspicious anything. Watching it like a hawk tho. Hoping my habit of having different password for damn near everything actually helps me out here. Nothing popping up about any of my main email accounts either.

And i have become exceedingly good at Move volleyball thanks to lack of SOCOM online and just buying the bundle on fucking friday afternoon. I wants my internets back.

statham said:
If that's a "huge pain in the ass", you deserve the potential consequences of that indifference.

Just change your CC # and stop whining already.
rape victims stop wearing sexy clothes

Glad to see the thread I started almost two and half months ago, that also happened to last a decent 24 pages is still making some subtle appearances in the "Gaming" side of GAF :p

Fake Edit: At the same time I'm Sad to find out "Liu Kang Baking A Pie" is banned, guy had some insightful and funny posts in the OT. :( is "Kano on the Phone" still around at least?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I forgot to mention, I used multiple cards to buy stuff, but 2 are expired, 1 was still in effect and my checking debit card, so if you used multiple card, be safe and either get all of them changed if you think you may have used it

It took me a total of 15 minutes to change both, and another 30+ minutes going through websites linked with my PSN e-mail and switching everything password/e-mail just to have some variations

Trevelyon

nofi said:
I'd imagine it would be even worse.

Would Sony be held so accountable if the guy(s) who are building the security and maintaining the vault (so to speak) are also eyeing up the cash and making it easier to heist.

statham

shagg_187 said:
Good. Then you should know that changing your credit card number doesn't effect your credit score. Changing your credit card number doesn't prevent you from purchasing in other websites.

Changing your credit card number should be a MUST and you should do it every other year. It should be as common as changing your password.

You are going to change your password since it got hacked, wont you?

Oh and I ain't coming at you and ain't going to take you out. You're going to start weird analogies.

Good night for this thread will lead us nowhere.

Long story short: Everyone should change their password and credit card number, if you care.
changing you credit card number is a pain in the ass if you pay on demand. and I don';t change it every year.

DiscoJer said:
Have you ever had your credit card number stolen? It's not as easy as you seem to think it is.

Sure, the getting a new card part is easy. Disputing all the fradulent charges is not. In my case it took months and having to write a lot of letters to finally get it solved. (Even though it should have been obvious to Bank of America that as an American, I wouldn't be frequenting sex places in Australia...)

That's why he suggested CHANGING the CC # before all that shit happens.

And yes, FYI changing your CC # is pretty damn easy.

Nekofrog

Banned
Just heard this story on BBC Radio (I'm amurrkan). They spent a decent amount of time on it (5 minutes), and used a dude from Gamespot (lol) as a reference. He did bring up some good points, though. Not only does this hurt Sony in the immediate sense, but once PSN IS back up, how many people are going to jumping up instantly to start buying stuff with their CC again?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
jyx said:
A simple question: Can I obtain trophies in games now?

Er... Yes, ever since 2009, all games require trophies. You can definitely get the trophies offline.

DiscoJer said:

Sure, the getting a new card part is easy. Disputing all the fradulent charges is not. In my case it took months and having to write a lot of letters to finally get it solved.

I have actually. Someone took out $500. Bank called me right away. You see, not every security firm is PSN. They know suspicious act the moment they see it. All they asked if I made the transaction. I said no, they refund the money right away, gave me a new card ad said "we will deal from here onwards. Thanks for your time".

Of course, it might be different from bank to bank. Isn't it best to change the number before someone steals the money?!

Quasar

Nekofrog said:
Just heard this story on BBC Radio (I'm amurrkan). They spent a decent amount of time on it (5 minutes), and used a dude from Gamespot (lol) as a reference. He did bring up some good points, though. Not only does this hurt Sony in the immediate sense, but once PSN IS back up, how many people are going to jumping up instantly to start buying stuff with their CC again?

Good news for folks like gamestop who sell PSN cards though I think.

Called my cc company just now, and they finished my sentence when I mentioned Sony.
I was not the first and certainly not the last person to call about it.

But for now they say noting is at risk.

MrSerrels

voltron said:
oh hey man.

Totally didn't realise that Kotaku Aus wasnt part of the Gawker network. Stand corrected.

BTW - good job on telly... although I found the awkward final shot of yourself somewhat amusing :) Not sure if you saw it but they lingered about 3 secs too long on you before flicking back to the anchor. Ended up being one of those funny news moments (that you see almost every night of course).

Hahaha!

Yeah dude - heard about it! They did it last time I was on as well. It's becoming my trademark.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
jyx said:
A simple question: Can I obtain trophies in games now?

Trophies can be obtained offline, only the MP trophies will be unachievable

I got 15 trophies today, Bomberman Ultra + Sly 3, all Pinged, some games even have updates that are going through, if the game needs a "trophy patch"

PSN is required if you want Sync them with PSN server and put on your GamerCard

If you have a iTunes account and have changed the password and typed in those three digits on the back of your card, iTunes will reserve like 30 cents from your bankaccount. Just tried chaning my password twice to really check and that seem to be the case, unless hackers have reserved the exact amount at the exact time I changed my password. So at the moment nothing wierd have happened on my bankaccount.

G_Berry

Banned
Just called my bank here in Aus. Cancelled my old card and getting a new one.

Thanks hackers, why don't you pieces of shit get a real job. CUNTS!

Professor Beef said:
Only if you can defeat me in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe.
No more Tic-Tac-Toe in here, people cheat big time...It's clearly X's turn but all a sudden two "O" are played before even 'X" makes his move!

WTF man!

My iTunes password is fairly close to my PSN account..except there are some case sensitivity involved and two decimals longer.. I am still debating if I should bother changing it or not?

Also the three PSN accounts I had with three different legit and active emails of mine all used the same password... I guess back in the day to make it easier on me I gave all my three PSN accounts, (NA, Europe and Asia) the same password. Not sure if that was wise, at least this one password is NOW unique.

BeeDog

Jesus, this thread exploded while I was sleeping. Any new revelations during the night that are especially important? A small summary would be appreciated, since I don't even know where to start catching up from.

this thread is getting bizarre with GAFFers slicing at each other's throats.

I suggest making some sandwiches rather than setting your sandwiches down, gentlemen.

Or just watch the latest epicmealtime and come back to this thread.

sun-drop

fucking hackers but even so ..wow ...it's made headlines here in NZ and around the world, prob the biggest theft of user info in history ...

the storys here played on the fact that children's details have possibly been stolen, names , addresses, phone numbers etc ...

pretty bad news ... what parent will let their kids back on psn after this?

as far as bad PR goes this is probably far worse than the 360's rings of death drama ...

i think sony will have to give every one something pretty fucking huge to even try and make good on this .... a free years worth of PS+ ... for every one? .... DC online free ..plus a years worth of play?

i don't think thats even going over board to expect something along those lines considering the inconvenience caused and faith lost here...

Quasar

G_Berry said:

I'm thinking its more organised crime than hackers for this kind of job.

sun-drop said:
fucking hackers but even so ..wow ...it's made headlines here in NZ and around the world, prob the biggest theft of user info in history ...

the storys here played on the fact that children's details have possibly been stolen, names , addresses, phone numbers etc ...

pretty bad news ... what parent will let their kids back on psn after this?

as far as bad PR goes this is probably far worse than the 360's rings of death drama ...

i think sony will have to give every one something pretty fucking huge to even try and make good on this .... a free years worth of PS+ ... for every one? .... DC online free ..plus a years worth of play?

i don't think thats even going over board to expect something along those lines considering the inconvenience caused and faith lost here...

God I hope not.

dzukela

G_Berry said:

it's sony fault!
making their online so insecure...

sinnergy

G_Berry said:

Also thank Sony for the shitty implementation of all the CC info..

jax (old)

Banned
IonicSnake said:
Ok I found out who was reserving my money, it was iTunes when I change my password.

OMFG THE SKY WAS FALLING!!!!

OM F...

oh wait...

I really question the extent of the damage. I think everyone is just freaking out for the sake of freaking out.

I do hope they arrest whoever is responsible. Sweet sweet sweet justice.

Came across an interesting reply from a SCEA-employee on Engadget:

As we are rebuilding the network, we are taking into consideration in implementing features such as cross game chat and in-game video chat to name a few. I cannot confirm any new features at this time but expect a massive update when the network is restored.

I guess there's an upside to this after all.

sce.jpg

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/...compromise-of-personal-inf/#comment-192487183

MightyKAC

Wow this is all so crazy. So here's a question, if i removed my CC information from PSN a while ago (about 2 months back) should I still be worried about all this and have the bank re-issue a new card and all that jazz?

Nekofrog

Banned
With prepaid cards not being as convenient as just entering your info and pressing a button on your PS3, is it a safe assumption that PSN will not be as profitable as it has been for the near future?

Vagabundo

I just made two sandwiches:

Irish soda bread, Dubliner cheddar cheese, thin slices of ham, mixed salad leaves and nice heapings of Irish butter and mayonnaise.

Suck it Sony..

dzukela said:
it's sony fault!
making their online so insecure...

LOL

Obviously Sony isn't absolved of irresponsibility but it's funny how some people blame the victim (Sony and its customers) and ignore the actual criminals.

MightyKAC said:
Wow this is all so crazy. So here's a question, if i removed my CC information from PSN a while ago (about 2 months back) should I still be worried about all this and have the bank re-issue a new card and all that jazz?

It really depends on how far back Sony actually stores data. TBH, I'd just call the CC bank and let them know your concerns. Let them decide what to do.

Quasar

sun-drop said:

Personally I wouldn't about crap like that I'd much prefer very public acknowledge of their security failure and public notice of much better security policies (though I'm not sure how you'd do that at the same time as maintaining neccesary secrecy). I'm also not sure how you manage all this given the breach at the heart of the PS3.

Takuan

Pretty sure my credit card info is outdated. I've since switched VISAs. Changed my e-mail password out of caution. I don't think there's much else for me to do.

This is really bad for Sony.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just got a reply from my bank, they advice to keep a keen eye on my creditcard-activity and report any unauthorised transactions. My account has been flagged by the bank that my CC-info may be used for fraud.

Changed the passwords to all my PSN-related email-addresses.

Think I've got all my bases covered.

Also: http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...an-organisaties-voor-gebruik-persoonsgegevens (Dutch)

Might be interesting to see if Sony covered their duty to protect the personal data through technological and organisational measures...

I just got off the phone with the hotline of my credit card company. They told me they are aware of the Sony issue but so far they recommend not to lock credit cards. They monitor transactions and as of now nothing suspicious happend. Also IF there would be a breach customers would get their money back anyways. I still feel a bit weird - mainly because I think the CC company just doesn't want to cancel thousands of cards and issue new ones but I guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks/months. I always monitor my transactions very carefully. My trust however took a deep bump if Sony was really that careless with my data and their security.

magicaltrevor said:
Came across an interesting reply from a SCEA-employee on Engadget:

I guess there's an upside to this after all.

http://www.caemgen.nl/sce.jpg[img]

Link: [url]http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-provides-psn-update-confirms-a-compromise-of-personal-inf/#comment-192487183[/url][/QUOTE]
If that's from an actual SCE employee, then yes that is a pretty awesome upside. I find it hard to believe that they would be replying to a random comment on Engadget instead of their own blog, though.

HYDE

Banned
Nekofrog said:
With prepaid cards not being as convenient as just entering your info and pressing a button on your PS3, is it a safe assumption that PSN will not be as profitable as it has been for the near future?

Not necessarily, they could move to a system not unlike the Wii's where the cc info is not retained after each purchase. Each time a user buys a group of content, the data is erased and required again during any future purchases. I think Nintendo's way works best/safest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom