• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

'If that's a "huge pain in the ass", you deserve the potential consequences of that indifference.

Just change your CC # and stop whining already.
'
rape victims stop wearing sexy clothes

Trevelyon

Raistlin said:
A little bird may have told me that while not confirmed, this may have been an inside job.

That'd be kind of crazy in a Tyler Durden sort of way.

Igor Antunov said:
Haven't received an email yet. Heres hoping it's only applicable to US customers.

Hey, spread the misery around.

dude said:
I personally don't store my CC and personal data on any service, I use Paypal.

But I do think a company with this kind of service owe it's customers to do everything it reasonably can to protect their data - iTunes and Steam might not be as safe, but let me ask this: Has they been hacked?
Maybe the hackers targeting Sony were super hackers who for some reason did not use their amazing hacking skills in going after more enticing databases like iTunes over Sony, but I have no reason to believe this until a judge says so because iTunes wasn't hacked and PSN was.
iTunes doesn't have a custom firmware where you can download all songs from the store for free, and make the PC a service kit.

Vinci

Danish
statham said:
If that's a "huge pain in the ass", you deserve the potential consequences of that indifference.

Actually, this is more akin to saying that if you've been raped - or suspect you have - you should probably be checked by a hospital, regardless of the inconvenience this would cause you.

statham

Vinci said:
Actually, this is more akin to saying that if you've been raped - or suspect you have - you should probably be checked by a hospital, regardless of the inconvenience this would cause you.
okay, in convenience.

nofi

Raistlin said:
A little bird may have told me that while not confirmed, this may have been an inside job.

Obviously that actually looks less favorable, so the initial PR has been to assume an outside assailant.

Uh oh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
shagg_187 said:
iTunes doesn't have a custom firmware where you can download all songs from the store for free, and make the PC a service kit.
Probably because the server-side is tightly shut, unlike PSN's. There're customs firmwares allowing you to run your hearts content of unsigned apps.

statham said:
'If that's a "huge pain in the ass", you deserve the potential consequences of that indifference.

'
What is going on here?

A hacked GAF account?!

koji

Haha, good shit; ah well, I redid all my password stuff after the Gawker shit (where my stuff was leaked on the webz) so it's just a couple passes I need to change now and not everything.

PSN was in Tier 2 from my passes though, also got a new CC so that's in the clear as well, I already removed my old CC from PSN months ago, same for LIVE, ever since the Gawker hack I'm a bit more careful

Aselith

DCharlie said:
re: "compensation" - free PSN+ membership for a few months i'd have thought

That way it gives everyone a free trial and then they get to see what they get if they sign on to the pay service.

Credit card fraud?

statham said:

'
Dude. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself. If a rape victim could undo the rape by not wearing "sexy clothes", they would. This isn't rape. Stop taking rape as a joke for it's fucking annoying. You're worried about CC? Call your fucking bank!! What do you do when your CC expires? Do you rant that the expiry date changed? How about you renew it and change the security code? Your argument is invalid in so many levels. How fucking old are you? I believe you're using your parent's CC and are just flat out shitting your pants if they find out you did.

Get over it.

Vinci said:

Yup. Or the "inconvenience" of locking your bike up when you park it. Although truth be told, the original analogy was wholly inappropriate to begin with. Akin to Godwin's law.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Rape, Shills, Sky is Falling, Car Analogies etc. are the themes in this thread

A thread about PSN being compromised, fantastic

dude said:
I personally don't store my CC and personal data on any service, I use Paypal.

But I do think a company with this kind of service owe it's customers to do everything it reasonably can to protect their data - iTunes and Steam might not be as safe, but let me ask this: Has they been hacked?
Maybe the hackers targeting Sony were super hackers who for some reason did not use their amazing hacking skills in going after more enticing databases like iTunes over Sony, but I have no reason to believe this until a judge says so because iTunes wasn't hacked and PSN was.

I didn't hear of this, maybe it happened, but it surly wasn't of this magnitude. I would also believe it was more the case of phishing sites or something - because I believe we all would have heard if the iTunes database was hacked in anyway.
Paypal is a service and unless you've managed to not register with them and have gotten lucky enough to only buy shit that allows you to use guest paypal, they have your information.

Vinci

Danish
The Shadow said:
Yup. Or the "inconvenience" of locking your bike up when you park it. Although truth be told, the original analogy was wholly inappropriate to begin with. Akin to Godwin's law.

No, I agree. Just seems to be what people are pulling from emotionally when it comes to this topic of conversation.

statham

shagg_187 said:
Dude. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself. If a rape victim could undo the rape by not wearing "sexy clothes", they would. This isn't rape. Stop taking rape as a joke for it's fucking annoying. You're worried about CC? Call your fucking bank!! What do you do when your CC expires? Do you rant that the expiry date changed? How about you renew it and change the security code? Your argument is invalid in so many levels. How fucking old are you? I believe you're using your parent's CC and are just flat out shitting your pants if they find out you did.

Get over it.
stop the rape shit, I was wrong.

but why should I worry about my CC stuff at all? and make that fun call to sony base and be waiting for 20 minuites? calling my bank isn't fun.

KPJZKC

statham said:
and that is a huge pain in the ass and another thing I don't want in my life. another thing I have to almost check daily. wonderful.

Mmm...sandwiches.

I just can't be arsed changing my card, the level of effort is much higher than it is to just monitor my account.

Fortunately I had the sense to have a single password for my e-mail account that was wholly different to every other password I used, so I don't have to worry on that front at least.

daffy

Banned
Raistlin said:
nature-a-little-bird-told-me_normal.jpg

statham said:

but why should I worry about my CC stuff at all? and make that fun call to sony base and be waiting for 20 minuites? calling my bank isn't fun.
... What? Dude, is it your credit card to begin with? Do you know how it works? Do you even have a bank account and if so, did you or your parents opened it for you?

Your whining is delicious, for I crave some bitter trolls.

HYDE

Banned
shagg_187 said:

Get over it.

might want to take out those last three words, i think they're ban-able now. other than that thanks for saying everything else.

FTH said:
http://f1s1.olapic.com/data/media/m/9/h/m9hcaw/nature-a-little-bird-told-me_normal.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
What were the origins of the whole "a little birdie" thing anyways? It's not like birdies can talk, outside of animated features.

dude

dude
19 & 21 said:
Paypal is a service and unless you've managed to not register with them and have gotten lucky enough to only buy shit that allows you to use guest paypal, they have your information.
I know, but Paypal's sole business is protecting my money - Just like I trust my bank with my money despite the fact that they could, in fact, be robbed or worse.
I didn't do this out of paranoia before, I just use Paypal out of convenience, but this whole fiasco got me pretty paranoid and I'm glad I never gave my CC info to any other service - I mean, Sony is a huge company, if they can't guard my money, I really don't have faith in Valve to be able to...

My point is, Sony are a huge company, I would certainly think my data would be safe in their servers it I put it in there, so I don't blame anyone for thinking the same. This is not some shady chinese store, this is a huge corporation.

HYDE said:
might want to take out those last three words, i believe they're ban-able now. other than that thanks for saying everything else.
I don't think so? Words like "u mad" are bannable if that's all you contribute to the post.

Again, those worried about credit card: call your bank and replace the number.

Sony fucked up, yes. That does not mean that you all stare at your console and yell at it. Act and it'll be fixed. Don't act and you might as well provide your social security number.

Trevelyon

nofi said:
We'll probably never find out.

Wonder what the perception of the situation would be if it was indeed someone in a position of trust who was intimate with the infrastructure and knew how to blow it wide open.

statham

shagg_187 said:
... What? Dude, is it your credit card to begin with? Do you know how it works? Do you even have a bank account and if so, did you or your parents opened it for you?

wtf? are you looking for quotes? I'm married, own my own house and is old as fuck. I have good credit too. what are you trying to find out? I'm pretty open. come at me bro. I can take you.

statham said:

Can you please just shut the hell up already? No one cares that you're lazy and would rather eat sandwiches while making really tasteless rape analogies.

nofi

Trevelyon said:
Wonder what the perception of the situation would be if it was indeed someone in a position of trust who was intimate with the infrastructure and knew how to blow it wide open.

I'd imagine it would be even worse.

Not that I believe this.

Just got an email from Hulu offering a free week of Plus due to the outage (sorry if a repost):

Dear James,

Unfortunately, due to the outage on PlayStation® Network, Hulu Plus subscribers cannot currently access the application on the PS3™. We understand this is frustrating, and we are looking forward to Sony restoring access to the application as soon as possible. In the meantime, we’d like to offer you a 1-week credit toward your Hulu Plus subscription. In order to automatically redeem your credit, please click here at any time within the next two weeks.

You can still continue to watch your favorite shows on many other devices -- the full list of devices is available here. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We're happy to help however we can.

Many thanks,
The Hulu Team

More information: You can read Sony’s official statement on the PlayStation Network outage here. Please note: No personal Hulu Plus account information was compromised as part of the Sony intrusion

HYDE

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I don't think so? Words like "u mad" are bannable if that's all you contribute to the post.

Again, those worried about credit card: call your bank and replace the number.

Sony fucked up, yes. That does not mean that you all stare at your console and yell at it. Act and it'll be fixed. Don't act and you might as well provide your social security number.

it's all good, just watching out for a fellow gaffer. it's not worth sacrificing a knight for a pawn.

Hanmik

this may be some usefull info for some of you guys..

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/27/clarifying-a-few-psn-points/

We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a point and answer one of the most frequently asked questions today.

There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion 19th April and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly yesterday evening.

For those who were looking there’s also an FAQ with some more on frequently asked questions

Thank you for your continued patience and support

edit.. just saw the same blog on the US blog side .. and it was posted yesterday, ... why is Europe so slow.. ?

statham said:
wtf? are you looking for quotes? I'm married, own my own house and is old as fuck. I have good credit too. what are you trying to find out? I'm pretty open. come at me bro. I can take you.
Good. Then you should know that changing your credit card number doesn't effect your credit score. Changing your credit card number doesn't prevent you from purchasing in other websites.

Changing your credit card number should be a MUST and you should do it every other year. It should be as common as changing your password.

You are going to change your password since it got hacked, wont you?

Oh and I ain't coming at you and ain't going to take you out. You're going to start weird analogies.

Good night for this thread will lead us nowhere.

Long story short: Everyone should change their password and credit card number, if you care.

My credit records say: SONY ONLINE SERVICES 7,95-

Daylight robbery!
That Castlevania Reverie expansion is worse than the hackers!

statham

shagg_187 said:

I can't let this go, I'm amazed you think I a troll or kid. I mean how stupid can you be? don;t mean to insult, but if I have a bank account or parents thats insulting and I haven't posted enough for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom