• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN High Stages on the Vegas Strip Poker Night - The Thread

garrickk

Hopefully, every Monday night at 10:30pm Eastern will be Poker night - until people lose interest. If people would prefer a different time, please post here or PM me. We had a lot of fun last night, but it would be nice to get more people. From the PSN Content thread and a few PM's I received, this looked like the best time.

GAF High Stakes on the Vegas Strip POKER NIGHT TONIGHT - 10:30pm Eastern

I could start the room unless someone else wants to do it. PM or post here if you are going to play.

10:30pm Eastern
9:30pm Central
8:30pm Mountain
7:30pm Pacific
TONIGHT, Monday, Sept. 17th

- My PSN and the Room Name: Garrick
- Game: Texas Hold-em w/ No betting Limit
- Game Type: Open Table or Sit & Go (which one do you prefer - I'll default to Open Table)
- Password: believe
- The starting limit will be $1000 I think. If your new character has $5000, you'll only be risking at most $1000 a game.
- Small/Big Blinds will be $5/$10. Smaller bets for less money. We don't want people to go broke too quickly.
- Voice chat on. It works well and is quite clear. There are no icons to tell you who is speaking, but it's a small room.

*** If there aren't enough people for a 2nd or 3rd room, you can PM me that you want to join our game. I will occasionally check my email quickly between hands when I fold early. Since we have headsets, people can tell me if there is a new hand. I'll then PM you back if/when someone leaves. Until we have the panacea that XMB access in-game is supposed to deliver, this is the best we can do.

Anything I'm missing - besides MNT?

Greg

Sorry if impressions were in the other thread, but how is the game?

Just curious because with all the free poker online, it's odd to see interest in xbox/ps versions.

garrickk

Greg said:
Sorry if impressions were in the other thread, but how is the game?

Just curious because with all the free poker online, it's odd to see interest in xbox/ps versions.
I think this is a very fair question, and I'm sure the answer to your second question is different for everyone who buys it. I'm VERY MUCH a poker novice, so keep that in mind regarding the value of my impressions.

I've only played 2 games online. One was with 3-4 gaffers. Voice quality was excellent, the game is smooth and solid, I guess it's pretty for a poker game, and there were no problems. But should there be in a poker game?

My second game was an Open Table Texas Hold'em game with randoms. They were all hard-core poker players who knew all the poker nomenclature, were commenting statistics after they folded, etc. They claimed that this game is just another in a line of well-regarded poker games that they've been playing for years on the PS2, so it has a good heritage. However, it has very, very few options regarding your avatar and location choices (only 2 locations) - the other games had a lot more options I guess.

Every single one of them, based on the familiar poker engine and the lack of avatar and location choices that were present in the past games in the series, believe that this game will receive a direct inclusion into PSN Home when it's released. Meaning, they think you'll be able to use your Home avatar to play the game, and may even be able to play in your Home "home" instead of the 2 locations offered in the game. I wouldn't bet on this or use it as a selling point, but it is a distinct possibility.

That said, I bought the game for the GAF PSN community. I hope we could have a weekly game with nice people who aren't serious poker players. I also spend 10 hours a day working on a computer and would rather play on a couch (standard console promo). The Playstaion Eye should be the best webcam ever made, the previews showed Eye functionality and they claim it's coming with its release, and I'm sure playing with GAF people on camera will be amusing.

Even if Home and/or Playstation Eye functionality doesn't come, I still think it's worth $10 for poker + couch + HDTV + comfortable BT headset + GAF.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
garrickk said:
I think this is a very fair question, and I'm sure the answer to your second question is different for everyone who buys it. I'm VERY MUCH a poker novice, so keep that in mind regarding the value of my impressions.

I've only played 2 games online. One was with 3-4 gaffers. Voice quality was excellent, the game is smooth and solid, I guess it's pretty for a poker game, and there were no problems. But should there be in a poker game?

My second game was an Open Table Texas Hold'em game with randoms. They were all hard-core poker players who knew all the poker nomenclature, were commenting statistics after they folded, etc. They claimed that this game is just another in a line of well-regarded poker games that they've been playing for years on the PS2, so it has a good heritage. However, it has very, very few options regarding your avatar and location choices (only 2 locations) - the other games had a lot more options I guess.

Every single one of them, based on the familiar poker engine and the lack of avatar and location choices that were present in the past games in the series, believe that this game will receive a direct inclusion into PSN Home when it's released. Meaning, they think you'll be able to use your Home avatar to play the game, and may even be able to play in your Home "home" instead of the 2 locations offered in the game. I wouldn't bet on this or use it as a selling point, but it is a distinct possibility.

That said, I bought the game for the GAF PSN community. I hope we could have a weekly game with nice people who aren't serious poker players. I also spend 10 hours a day working on a computer and would rather play on a couch (standard console promo). The Playstaion Eye should be the best webcam ever made, the previews showed Eye functionality and they claim it's coming with its release, and I'm sure playing with GAF people on camera will be amusing.

Even if Home and/or Playstation Eye functionality doesn't come, I still think it's worth $10 for poker + couch + HDTV + comfortable BT headset + GAF.

You sold me... thanks for the impressions, and hopefully that HOME implementation comes through, as that would be pretty cool.

garrickk

Captain Pants said:
You sold me... thanks for the impressions, and hopefully that HOME implementation comes through, as that would be pretty cool.
Yeah, but don't buy the game for the possibility of HOME implementation though. It's just uneducated guesswork. They might even charge for the inclusion.

Still, it would be neat to put a functional poker table into my HOME apartment. Here's to hoping.

Poigea

I played a couple of games the other night, and it was pretty fun. Though it did freeze on me
in the lobby once and sitting at a table once.

Count me in.

PSN: Poigea

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is the incentive to fold? Just pride/bragging rights or do they actually keep long-term statistics or give you some kind of bankroll or something?

Chris R

any form of weekly tournaments setup by the devs/sony with real prizes(or any at all?)? Also 6 players seems kinda low...

tanod

when is my burrito
rhfb said:
Also 6 players seems kinda low...

Playing Poker in rl goes much slower at an exponential rate as you go over 6 players. Then, you have people forgetting it's their turn. I imagine it's similar doing it online.

IzumiK

Banned
The Eyetoy would make a great use of this. Imagine the characters could mimic your face model and see if you are bluffing. XD!

calder

Sounds like it could be fun, I'm downloading it now. I don't really know how to play poker beyond the basics, so I'm sure my money will be happily and quickly divided up amongst my betters.

PSN: caldermuyo

garrickk

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. Monday Night Football.

I'd like to play with you guys, but come on... 9:30 Central on Monday Night?
I wanted to push it later, but some of the East Coast guys wanted to go much earlier even.

The football game should be done by 8:30 PST/10:30 CST/ 11:30 EST. That's almost midnight on the east coast. Sort of hard to start a poker game then. I'm watching the first half and then hitting the record button. NO FOOTBALL SCORE REPORTING during the poker game. I'm on the West coast so I have time.

But, when the Bears play on MNF, I might have to join poker late. It's an open table - you can try and join after the game if a seat is open after the game.

tanod said:
PSN High Stakes on the Vegas Strip Poker Night

PS Eye isn't out yet. :lol
Hopefully, I'll only play GAF people and genitalia can be kept to a minimum. There may be an ass-cheek exception policy if you go all in.

garrickk

TTP said:
I suck at poker. Can I join?
I've now played my 4th and 5th games of Texas Hold'em. The lower the skill level the better - just don't bet recklessly. People hate that. We don't have to treat virtual money like it's real, but we should have some respect for it.

AstroLad said:
What is the incentive to fold? Just pride/bragging rights or do they actually keep long-term statistics or give you some kind of bankroll or something?
There are a lot of statistics for your online player, but of course you can delete them at any time and create a new one. Also, I'm not sure you can see other people's statistics or just your own. I'll take a picture of the stats page tonight if you're interested. I had pretty good statistics in my one GAF game, but I created a new avatar for my one Open/Random game (you can have 4 avatars at a time, each with separate stats). I got my ass handed to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
garrickk said:
There are a lot of statistics for your online player, but of course you can delete them at any time and create a new one. Also, I'm not sure you can see other people's statistics or just your own. I'll take a picture of the stats page tonight if you're interested. I had pretty good statistics in my one GAF game, but I created a new avatar for my one Open/Random game (you can have 4 avatars at a time, each with separate stats). I got my ass handed to me.

Ah, ok. I was just interested if it turned into basically a game of vs. video poker as many of these games can unless there is some real incentive to play strategically.

Garrick said:

You can create/delete players to get money, but the leaderboard is not effected by it.

Yes, I'm at $-5,260 in leaderboard :(

garrickk

shagg_187 said:
You can create/delete players to get money, but the leaderboard is not effected by it.

Yes, I'm at $-5,260 in leaderboard :(
Well, we played with too much money last night.

Okay, I just figured it out - in Open Table, the Limits are set by your Stake option. This is not explicitly clear.

- Setting a $5/10 Stake makes the starting minimum $100, starting cash limit is $1000, small/big blinds are $5/10, and ante is $0. I think this is what we should play with.

- Setting $10/20 Stakes makes the starting minimum $200, starting cash limit is $2000, small/big blinds are $10/20, and ante is $0.

If you lose all your money, the house gives you back $22 (as shagg so nicely discovered for us). You would then have to create a new character, or find/make a room with a $1/2 stake (starting minimum $20, max of $200), and work your way back up slowly. Tough.

calder

Installed the game and am playing an offline game. Pretty fun so far. :)

My wife walked by and laughed at how much the character I made looked like me. I made him middle aged so I thought he looked pretty haggard, like he was in the middle of day 3 of an epic 4 day Vegas bender. Not a good sign that his wrinkly face and breathing hard (almost panting) had my wife instantly thinking of me. ;P

Seems like a bit of interest. Will we have 2 tables going?

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. Monday Night Football.

I'd like to play with you guys, but come on... 9:30 Central on Monday Night?
Hate to say it but between Monday Night Football and the late start (I'm on the East coast) I won't be in tonight. As for my impressions of the game, meh. Texas Hold 'Em on XBL is light years ahead of this. Eight player tournaments, lightning quick game play, incentive to accumulate winnings by moving up in prize money tables, etc... I have about 14 million on Hold 'Em all without using cheats as others on XBL have. I'm kind of looking forward to World Series of Poker 2008: Battle for the Bracelets. That could be a great online AND offline poker game. I suppose if you just want to get your feet wet in poker and play a casual 6 player tourney, this poker game could be fun. I'll still be playing because I can't get enough poker online and off with buddies and in real tournaments.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just did a couple of random online matches. Got some "HSO Points", but while I can see them in the HSO Points Breakdown page, it says "You have 0 HSO Points" in the player selection screen. WTH is going on?

garrickk

calder said:
Seems like a bit of interest. Will we have 2 tables going?
Maybe. The first person to see the room full should just make another room and post your PSN ID here. Actually, if the room is full, it might just be filtered out (you won't see it). If it's 10:35pm EST and you don't see room Garrick, it's full. I'll post here if someone leaves and we get an opening too.

Room options to set:
Texas Hold'em
Open Table
No Limit
Stakes of $5/10 ante $0
6 ppl
Voice enable
password: believe

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ah nuts, looks like I can't make it today. :(

I do want to join in again this week though, had a blast last night. Good luck to those playin' today!

garrickk

Remy said:
I'm signing on a little early, Garrick, if you want to get started.
Game is started (we'll wait a while) :

Room: Garrick
Game Type: Texas Hold'em Open Table
No Limit
Stakes of $5/10 ante $0
6 ppl
Voice enable
password: believe

Edit: Oh, and Andy Reed is a moron for calling a timeout at the end of the 1st half.

Played this last night....fairly solid title

I would have like more avatar choices however. Plus a couple more venues would have been nice...I think theres just the one table type

garrickk

OokieSpookie said:
Finally got my headset and everything, and bookmarking this so I can keep checking in
Well, we missed you last night. We had a full room but a few people left early. If you could have made it, Master Z would have some of your money.

I keep asking, but would anyone like to play on a night besides Monday?

Top Bottom