• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PStwo & Xbox/halo 2, DS vs GC this fall

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The GC's death period started in November 2001, in most people's minds.

Insertia

Nintendo will never regain a foothold in the console market until they go with the flow of the rest of the industry (much like they did with nes, snes, and n64 to an extent).

GaimeGuy

Insertia said:
Nintendo will never regain a foothold in the console market until they go with the flow of the rest of the industry (much like they did with nes, snes, and n64 to an extent).

Go with the flow? They never did that: They MADE the flow

GaimeGuy

Insertia said:
They're not making it any more. ;)

Well, they are. It's just that the industry as a whole isn't rallying behind them. ;)

Perhaps that'll change with TEH REVOLUTION!!!1111

MEGATON!!!!111

Subitai

GaimeGuy said:
I'm sick of this "mature" argument. If games like DOA:XBV and Manhunt are for the "mature" gamer, then I'd rather stay immature, thank you very much.

and the Ps2 and Xbox > GC in terms of appealing to family audiences? What?
Yeah, point out games that suck by and large to most gamers.

The point is consumers know they'll never see stuff like GT, TWB, SOCOM, Max Payne, or DMC. on GCN. Rightly or wrongly consumers feel that Bond, NFSU, Spiderman, and Madden are just as good family games as Nintendo franchises. Now that looks like mature and family games to me, but maybe it isn't to everyone else. Nintendo's problem is they're only serving half the market and some consumers actually feel that Sony does a better job in the half Nintendo serves when it comes quality in addition to quantity.

GaimeGuy

Subitai said:
Yeah, point out games that suck by and large to most gamers.

The point is consumers know they'll never see stuff like GT, TWB, SOCOM, Max Payne, or DMC. on GCN. Rightly or wrongly consumers feel that Bond, NFSU, Spiderman, and Madden are just as good family games as Nintendo franchises. Now that looks like mature and family games to me, but maybe it isn't to everyone else. Nintendo's problem is they're only serving half the market and some consumers actually feel that Sony does a better job in the half Nintendo serves when it comes quality in addition to quantity.

All of those are family games? o_O

GaimeGuy

btw, all of those games you listed as being good family games are on the GC, too.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I think Revolution will hold onto the GC userbase and then improve on that. Ofcourse that's assuming Revolution is similar to what GC was this gen, but we know that's yet to be seen...

edit: ah on topic, the GC will be fine as long as nintendo keeps producing games for it. And we know they won't stop until Revolution is released so, no worries here.

Subitai

GaimeGuy said:
btw, all of those games you listed as being good family games are on the GC, too.
That's not the point.

The point is that Nintendo games aren't selling the GCN the way Activision and EA are selling the PS2.

The point is there are more on PS2 and families think they're better.

Guys, the next 3 months and the past 6 months the charts have been dominated by 3rd parties on PS2, most of which aren't 'mature', or the type of games not on GCN that usually get blamed for it's poor sales.

Subitai

6 million GTA gamers (the only runaway mature game when you think about it) doesn't explain why the other 18 million get PS2 over GCN and XBX. Activision, THQ, Namco, and especially EA do explain these 18 million PS2 owners.

Shoryuken

I'm confused about what exactly makes the Xbox a hulking sucess while the GC is a failure. They're pretty much even in hardware sales worldwide (and I'd imagine in software sales as well). And at the end of the generation I'd wager that they'll still be very close to each other.

I actually agree with Subitai's larger point about the PS2 reaching Nintendo's target audience just as well or better than Nintendo. Bond and NFSU are lousy examples, though...single male adolescents are the primary audience for those games.

Anyway, I don't see the Gamecube dying off before the release of Zelda. The release schedule for 2005 looks fairly good so far. With Nintendo's penchant for doing well in a system's twilight years, and Microsoft's rush to get the jump on Sony with their next console, I'd say Gamecube has just as much life in it as Xbox, if not more.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Shoryuken said:
I'm confused about what exactly makes the Xbox a hulking sucess while the GC is a failure. They're pretty much even in hardware sales worldwide (and I'd imagine in software sales as well). And at the end of the generation I'd wager that they'll still be very close to each other.

nintendo MADE the game and the newcomer, MS is beating them at it for one. for 2, 3rd parties are dropping GC support. with the DS this christmas and nintendos first party games, where does that leave 3rd party sales on the GC? NOWHERE. the only territory where gc has the lead over xbox, japan, DOESNT MATTER. a handful of those 3rd party games, the ones that matter for the casuals anyway, come from the US and EU now. even if it ends up with the GC beating xbox world wide, which you'd have to be insane to think anyway, everyone and their mom, including myself expected the what i called the "xbrick" at its launch to fail. we all got backhanded by MS. the only ones who wont admit it are the ones too stupid to enjoy what the console offers.

snapty00 said:
What turns me off about GameCube are all the franchises. I mean, my God -- how many Mario-based games are there now on GameCube? Why does nearly every GameCube game Nintendo creates have to have a Nintendo character in it?

Thier has always been alot of Mario games on all of the Nintendo systems. If you didn't like them back in the NES or SNES days, I could understand your compalint with Nintendo. If you are a person that thought the NES or SNES was the best becuase of Nintendo's games, then I don't see why one would argue about " too MUCH Mario." Nintendo hasn't changed that much. I understand Nintendo putting Mario on everything, it sells. I am sure if Sony had a character as marketable as Mario, they would do the SAME thing as Nintendo.

GaimeGuy

Subitai said:
That's not the point.

The point is that Nintendo games aren't selling the GCN the way Activision and EA are selling the PS2.

The point is there are more on PS2 and families think they're better.

Guys, the next 3 months and the past 6 months the charts have been dominated by 3rd parties on PS2, most of which aren't 'mature', or the type of games not on GCN that usually get blamed for it's poor sales.

They're also not selling because the cube gets half assed versions of the games that are released weeks or months after the games are released on Ps2 and Xbox and/or have features removed from the game.

Mashing

Correct me if I'm wrong here but profits off the DS go to Nintendo and profits off the GC go to Nintendo. If you're Nintendo, what is the problem here?

GaimeGuy

Mashing said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but profits off the DS go to Nintendo and profits off the GC go to Nintendo. If you're Nintendo, what is the problem here?

a newcomer is selling more systems than you are, even if they're having to lose billions to beat you by a small margin.

Subitai

GaimeGuy said:
They're also not selling because the cube gets half assed versions of the games that are released weeks or months after the games are released on Ps2 and Xbox and/or have features removed from the game.
Ok, so its because of half assed versions. 18 million would rather full assed versions rather than Nintendo stuff.

GaimeGuy

I think I quoted the wrong post, the 3rd parties dropping support is related to their games not selling, which is related to the half-assed version they release.

Even those that sell well just get ported. :/

ToS, VJ, and Godzilla: DAMM are a few examples.

Godzilla sold over 500k on the cube, and like 50k on the Xbox, yet Godzilla 2 is xbox exclusive.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
snapty00 said:
What turns me off about GameCube are all the franchises. I mean, my God -- how many Mario-based games are there now on GameCube? Why does nearly every GameCube game Nintendo creates have to have a Nintendo character in it?

Er... by definition, wouldn't any game made by Nintendo have "Nintendo characters" in it?

Top Bottom