• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q.U.B.E |OT| Now on PC/Steam with demo. AWESOME PUZZLER.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No 1600p support.
1325941277-clip-3kb.jpg

Steam\steamapps\common\qube\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini

ctrl-f "ResX=", "ResY="

Replace numbers with any resolution.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks for looking that up. I didn't get the Steam version so my folder strcuture isn't 1:1 to yours but still.

Just ignore the "Steam\steamapps\common\" part then. All UDK games have the exact same remaining folder architecture.

Anyone find the gamepad sensitivity super low?
Yeah, though to be honest I wouldn't recommend using it anyways. Later on (as in after like the tutorial) it becomes clear that the game benefits from having snappy precision so that you can implement your ideas faster.

reektann

Just ignore the "Steam\steamapps\common\" part then. All UDK games have the exact same remaining folder architecture.

Yeah, though to be honest I wouldn't recommend using it anyways. Later on (as in after like the tutorial) it becomes clear that the game benefits from having snappy precision so that you can implement your ideas faster.

Yeah I had a feeling that was the case - I'll switch over to mouse/kb.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'll leave the edit at that since I've been pimping the Steam release mainly. I'm sure anyone will be able to find it just by reading your post anyways, Steam or not.

I actually like pad with this game but agree that you do require more snappier movement. I'm as far as I am with pad though so I haven't felt quite limited yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped the game up, that ending music is top-notch. I hope they release some DLC as I'm still hungry for more. These new devs clearly have a lot of talent and I look forward to seeing how they grow design-wise in the future.

gabbo

The demo was fun, liked the aesthetic and the music, but aside from the intro video - I didn't feel like there was anything really drawing me into the world, making me want to continue to solve puzzles.

Unless the demo is just too short to explore the story/world, I may wait for a sale.

Just finished it, 3 hours played according to Steam. Well worth the $12.74! Definitely craving some more levels to play through.

Never noticed this thread, or else I wouldn't have polluted the steam thread.

Anyway, apart from one issue I have, these puzzles have been really great. They really understand how to introduce new concepts to you and make sure you understand them before moving on to another part of a puzzle. Everything is designed superbly. I just need to beat it now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Since you've finished it, are there any story elements or explanation of what's happening? No need to go into details.

I've finished it too and no.

The last puzzle and ending are pretty interesting though. But everything is assumed and nothing is explicitly told to you.

Kritz

Banned
I'm going to categorize the opinion on the ball and dark puzzles as just that because they are a good twist on things and very clever. As for the Portal 2 comparison, the similarities end with the 1st person and puzzle mechanic.e This is nothing like Portal other than that. You could argue the art is somewhat the same but Portal is much more open and the Portal mechanic is what makes that game.

Back to the ball puzzles, I like the last one I did in sector 5 or 6. You have to combine the colors to make pink or other colors while rotating the hall.

The dark ones I've done have been cool and yet another neat twist thrown at you. There's been no hassle with the dark ones either. I actually enjoyed the change of pace.

I think I didn't like the hill-ball puzzles because I never really got how the rotational things controlled where the ball went until about 15 minutes of trial and error. And I felt the dark areas weren't that crash hot simply because of the hill-ball puzzles being way harder to do.

I think I solved a few of those ball puzzles using alternate solutions, too. Because half the time it felt like I was breaking the puzzle design by getting the ball to go in the hole.

And I'd wager that most people would see that thematically Qube is real similar to Portal 2. Like, you're right in that all of it is from environment stuff and rarely ever puzzles (although some of the bouncing puzzles seem to be lifted right out of the portal momentum tutorials), as well as
the ending was borderline identical

I did like that later on you got to really branch out and craft your own solutions for puzzles. Or, it made you feel like you were doing it by yourself. The little AI ball things were cool (although as a programmer / person what played the ice levels in the pokemans games, I felt I should have solved those a lot quicker), and I loved it when you could
choose which blocks to place in certain locations

I guess if I were to pick any one downside to this game - though keep in mind it's a very good little game - is that it's not quite as intuitive as a Valve puzzle game. Puzzle elements are introduced to you to solve before you've been able to see what they do. There's a real lazy example of them trying to do exactly that with the first green cube you find, where it's just a room with a single green cube that you can't move, with a reset button. You can't do anything to the cube, and the reset button just makes it disappear and reappear. To me that felt like they were actually trying to show me what this thing does before I use it, but their example wasn't good at all.

The same kind of thing happened with the blue ball things. They give you a room that is nothing but blue balls that freak out when you get near them. Like, was that supposed to be foreshadowing for a puzzle or something? Or was it story dressing?

But keep in mind I'm not saying anyone will be stuck because they can't work out a mechanic. And learning how things works usually takes less than 10 seconds of fiddling with it, and then you're off. But they do kind of give you new things to play with before you've really seen what they do, I guess.

And after thinking about it some, I wasn't super thrilled by the ending. Not because it wasn't an impressive thing, but because there was kind of nothing leading up to it. It just kinda happened. Maybe some people will like it that way, but I was super detached to any sense of victory from it because it's not like I was actually invested in anything happening. But it's a minor sticking point.

I recommend that people play this game, because it is a real good puzzler. And as I said, it does a good job of making you feel smart when you solve things, and I found I was never stuck for more than 10 minutes on any one area.

http://truepcgaming.com/2012/01/08/nothing-to-lose-q-u-b-e-interview/

Tell us about the process of submitting Q.U.B.E. to the various digital distribution platforms and if you encountered resistance in doing so.

Initially this process seemed quite daunting to me and advice from other people told me it was a difficult thing to do. However, once we were under Indie Fund’s umbrella this perception changed. Instead of going to distribution services, they started coming to us. The best one was when Valve turned up at our booth at PAX Prime 2011 and asked if we had everything ready for Steam, before inviting us to come and check out their studio!

How do you feel about the various indie bundle promotions and the “Pay What You Want” pricing methodology? Would you be interested in contributing to a project like that in the future?

I think it’s a great idea and we would love to contribute to a project like that in the future. In fact, we’ve already been asked to be included by several bundle companies.

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about modding of PC games and the relationship developers have with modders. How do you feel about the online modding community in general and specifically if mods were created for Q.U.B.E.?

I think the modding community is fantastic and we would love to see what people do with Q.U.B.E. We’re actually looking at creating a level editor so people can have some fun with that.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the game looks awesome, but I'm not sure it's worth the £10 right now, I'll hold out for a sale most likely.

chixdiggit

Looks great but I really need to concentrate on my backlog. I wont even try the demo as I'm sure I will like it and be even more attempted to buy it.

Finished it last night. Great game. Really glad I picked it up, and totally worth it's price tag. I really liked the ending as well.

The puzzles are really really good. I did get stuck in a part that kept screwing me over with the physics (that outside of that one puzzle, worked literally perfectly, not one problem) but it seems thats a rare problem to have so I won't dock them for it. It technically came out in december right, so it can be put into the goty voting right?

Game just got updated on steam. They might have fixed the sector 3 achievement unlocking, because I'm pretty sure no one was getting that one.

d00d3n

Impressions from the full game: nonexistent story (did not finish), simple and unremarkable puzzles, lingers too long on the same puzzle concepts despite the limited scope, interaction with puzzles is extremely static due to the gloves only having an effect on a limited number of designer placed blocks (similar to the gameplay in Portal 2, and as opposed to the organic puzzling in for example Portal and World of Goo), mostly poor graphics

The only aspect of the game that intrigued me was the graphics and the animation of the white blocks that form the walls around the player. Looked kind of cool for an indie game …

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't agree with anything you just said minus your short praise. It's all designed very well and again with the story. Go play an RPG if you want a story. It's your opinion though.

Stoked to see some people enjoying QUBE. I got to work with Toxic via Indie Fund and they're some wicked cool people. I am super proud of what they did, and think it definitely deserves at least a demo play ;)

d00d3n

I can't agree with anything you just said minus your short praise. It's all designed very well and again with the story. Go play an RPG if you want a story. It's your opinion though.

My criticism was maybe a bit harsh for what is after all an ambitious indie game, but I simply did not enjoy the game. It is not unreasonable to expect a story in a first person game with elements of sci-fi and a mysterious world.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not unreasonable to desire it, I do think it would be a better game if it had such, just like the Portal 1 & 2 are better games for having a given atmosphere and story that makes them more than puzzle games, but I'd say it's unreasonable to expect it when it's not really advertised. They were just selling you a puzzle game and didn't lie about what it includes. I mean, Puzzle Quest didn't make me expect every puzzle game after it to also have a story and be an RPG and all that and Portal didn't make me expect every puzzle game to be like it and have humour and a story either. Q.U.B.E is clever, fun and mostly visually pleasing but people should only get it if they can enjoy a first person puzzle game without cinematic fluff. It's not Portal and it doesn't have to be.

Scythian

Really liked the demo, despite it being really short. Judging by the screenshots it looked a lot like Portal, but once I played it, it felt like a totally different game.
I'm waiting for a sale too, short on money right now.

Kritz

Banned
I kinda think that maybe they should have gone in a different direction narrative wise to what they did. Like, test subject trying to escape a facility with a prototype tool while the facility decays from sterile white areas to wires strung about unfinished / destroyed areas?

I'm more disappointed in the game having a narrative than I would have had it just been a raw puzzle game. I never felt like the narrative fit the style of game it was going for.

But it's not like anyone actually came to this game for its narrative, so it doesn't really matter.

My criticism was maybe a bit harsh for what is after all an ambitious indie game, but I simply did not enjoy the game. It is not unreasonable to expect a story in a first person game with elements of sci-fi and a mysterious world.

I disagree. I think a lot of stuff can get a lot more interesting the less you know about it. Coincedently the movie Cube comes to mind (which the sequels totally ruined but whatever). I definitely think the ending, which you haven't seen as of your last post, is a lot of fun. Frankly, I think it's better than if they were to shoehorn a narrative in where it wasn't intended.

Kritz

Banned
This is a real good article by the people that make good words together. Rock Paper Shotgun.

I suppose anyone on the fence for buying this game (when you really should just buy it, you know) should give it a read. I don't think it's very, um, convincing. But it is very accurate, and perceptive to the point where you might not really appreciate the criticisms until you've actually played the game.

General consensus is that it's a cool game and it's fun to play but also it isn't very challenging and is also a video game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have to say that the demo was pretty nice. still waiting, I have promised myself not to buy anything until the next Christmas sale.

daviyoung

Banned
If you have an aversion to first-person platforming then avoid it, otherwise it's a serviceable if basic puzzle-em-up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This is a real good article by the people that make good words together. Rock Paper Shotgun.

Lol, I hit this bit and thought jesus RPS drops in standard every day. At least the guy is aware that the issue is his and not the games:

Perhaps I have a childish brain but it usually wants a treat after doing some work, even if the work itself is pleasurable in a way. A bit of banter with a psychotic AI, or even some vague suggestion as to a bigger picture, that’s all I want. Something to suggest the designers of a puzzle are proud of me and want to reward me for my efforts by entertaining me or providing something unexpected.

I'm sorry, but if the pleasure in finding the correct solution to a puzzle isn't enough for you, than you probably shouldn't play puzzle games or do puzzle-related activities in any capacity in real life either.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, it would be nice if they had SOME plot there but for the price they ask, it's ok.

Top Bottom