• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q.U.B.E |OT| Now on PC/Steam with demo. AWESOME PUZZLER.

Kritz

Banned
Lol, I hit this bit and thought jesus RPS drops in standard every day. At least the guy is aware that the issue is his and not the games:

I'm sorry, but if the pleasure in finding the correct solution to a puzzle isn't enough for you, than you probably shouldn't play puzzle games or do puzzle-related activities in any capacity in real life either.

I think there's still something to be said for wanting a bit more from the game. Not in terms of puzzle design or the underlying mechanics of the game, but of the dressing around it. Usually RPS slant towards wanting a game to use the strengths of the medium to give feedback to the player, and I can see their point that aside from the thing that you come to the game for, it's all a bit empty.

I tend not to completely agree with them - I think the game's pretty darn good without the need for additional stimuli - but I feel that if I were to nitpick the game (which I already have), I'd probably agree that it feels a bit sterile as an experience.

Expectations Vs Design Goals, or something.

well, it would be nice if they had SOME plot there but for the price they ask, it's ok.

To be fair, there is actually some narrative to it. It's tucked away in the corner and it's kind of exactly the thing another similar game did, but it's there. It's also probably the worst thing about the game, but it's not like it's offensively bad or anything. Just kinda uninteresting.

mèx

Neo Member
Finished it. This game is great, it was so fun to play!
I found it more difficult than Portal, some puzzles took me some time to sort them out (and you can image which), whereas in Portal I didn't find any difficulty. Maybe I'm better at manipulating portals than cubes, who knows. :D
It's a shame that it's short, I would have liked some addittional Sectors, but whatever.
If you like puzzle games and don't mind about story/narrative and such, buy it!

Oh, and if you can put on 8x SSAA. It's gorgeous, really.

Awesome! I was hoping someone would make an OT since I didn't have the time to.

This game is so awesome and the devs are just plain good peeps. Still can't believe they made it without a dedicated programmer.

bs000

Why can't I change my mouse sensitivity? The default is way too high for me and when I lower the sensitivity in the options and click apply changes it just goes back to the default.

edit: Found it in the config folder.

Zomba13

Just finished the game, took me around 2 hours in total according to steam. I enjoyed it but think the price might be a bit too high for the amount of time it gives (I mean I've paid less for longer games). It's a good and fun game though. I still have a few achievements left.

Are they bugged and I should have got them or did I miss some hidden puzzles or something?

Sector 3, Completed
Complete Sector 3

Tough Going Part 1
Complete the hardest puzzle in the game: Part 1

Tough Going Part 2
Complete the hardest puzzle in the game: Part 2

Fizzicks
Complete the final physics puzzle

Finale
Complete Q.U.B.E.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game does actually look pretty interesting.

Any word on 3D support? I would love to try this on my HMZ-T1. The visual design would work beautifully in 3D.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has anyone gotten the
Meet the Developers
achievement? It is a hidden one, so it won't appear on your list. It's hard to tell if the achievement is borked or if it is just obscure.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Picked this up today, just got to the dark levels. Sector
is it?

Brilliant puzzler, looks beautiful too.

Bruiserk

Before I type the rest of my post I want to clarify that I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE FULL GAME. I ONLY HAVE THE DEMO.

With that said, my demo updated today. Why is that? I'm assuming that they made me download the full game's file and buying qube would only give me an unlock key, so they must have updated the full game today, right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Before I type the rest of my post I want to clarify that I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE FULL GAME. I ONLY HAVE THE DEMO.

With that said, my demo updated today. Why is that? I'm assuming that they made me download the full game's file and buying qube would only give me an unlock key, so they must have updated the full game today, right?

There's been an update recently, yes.

LiquidMetal14

Very happy to hear/read, added to OP.

Thanks to all that have bought it. It's not tons but at least it's a success in a smaller scale for the little guys and gals.

New banner in OP too.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It helps when you only need to sell 12k to start turning a profit. Hope more publishers take notice of this kinda stuff, though.

they are large and they need large profits to support their archaic structure.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
90k is a very small sum of money indeed.

Here are expenses for Divinity: The Dragon Knight Saga.

4M € employees
900K€ freelancers
270K€ outsourcing of artwork
200K€ hardware
700K€ software licenses
400K€ localisation
for a total of 6,5M€. That’s a lot of money and as the Dragon Knight Saga was released via co-publishing deals , it also meant that we needed to take care of the majority of this investment ourselves, since the publishers only contributed partially to the funding.

Our modus operandi was to make cash with kids games like for instance Monkey Tales or Adventure Rock, and then spend it on the RPG. This approach obviously worked since we managed to release the game, but in hindsight, I’m sure we could’ve done it for a lot less and with a lot less frustration.

Knowing what I know now, I think we could’ve brought down costs by 2M€, and had this game been made in another country (Belgium has notoriously high labor taxes), we could perhaps have made all of The Dragon Knight Saga for less than 4M€.

Still small sum compared to NA games. Also lol, this game has like 5 times more content that DAII, has better graphics and voice overs that don't suck. Food for thoughts.

LiquidMetal14

Yeah I'm stuck here too, really can't pass it.

Is this post patch or how are you running it? Curious. The dev has an email/contact on the official website if it's something you want to relay them directly for a possible future patch fix. I know it's not affecting everyone but it's definitely there in some isolated form.

Very awesome that the Q.U.B.E. guys were already able to pay back their investment. Really attests to the power of Steam and of course the quality of the game.

We really gotta start busting our asses to sell some copies for them in Japan....heh

commissar

I played through this today, was fun enough.
Not sure it's worth $15 so I'd suggest waiting for a sale if you're on the fence.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Not only is this puzzle far too complicated for my simple mind, one of the white blocks keeps bugging out and disappearing through the wall, never to be seen again.

http://i.imgur.com/uurDY.jpg

The game is cool.

I had fun with that one. I've done stuff like that in games before so I knew the basic strategy (using the columns to block some cubes while I moved others). I didn't have the whole thing mapped out in my mind, but after a bit everything just fell into place.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I wonder if the one achievement called "The Ball" was a reference to the other Steam indie game? If so that's awesome, I really enjoyed that game (The Ball) and would recommend it to anyone who liked Q.U.B.E.

Danj

I hope people have been picking this up with the Steam sale happening. I've bought it twice now!

I bought it in the sale, just tried it, already completed the first sector. It's really easy to get the hang of despite the fact that there's no instructions, but it kind of lacks personality - it's a straight up puzzle game, pure and simple.

LiquidMetal14

Looks like it just appeared in my library and am downloading it now. Not sure how long it's been like that but my library shows this now

captureamugx.png

wouwie

Director's cut is coming out on PS3 and PS4 next week. It's crazy how many interesting PSN games are being released in the coming month.

Top Bottom