• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QMTech MiSTer FPGA clone board initial review...it's a MiSTer with some qualifiers

VGEsoterica

I know a lot of people KNOW about the MiSTer FPGA project and some members here have MiSTer setups...but I also know the approximately $400-500 for a full build can be prohibitively expensive even if the value proposition is through the roof

and some companies are noticing that too and starting to clone the Terasic DE-10 Nano, which is the most expensive component in a MiSTer build by far as its the FPGA board the entire project is based on.

So enter QMTech, a chinese company and AliExpress seller that's just released a batch of two different DE-10 Nano clones that will run the MiSTer repo and act just like a MiSTer. Yes there are some qualifiers and your build and hardware experience will differ...but if all you want to do is plug a USB hub and HDMI core into a board and have a MiSTer FPGA for $130 out the door....interesting product

Curious if anyone on GAF has hopped on the clone train yet?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah using clone hardware from clone chips to clone hardware is a bit too much imo

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They aren’t clone chips. Altera made them so it’s the same Cyclone V with ARM cores as the Terasic board. Just a diff source that is cheaper. It’s an automotive designated part
Ah well if it works go for it.
Not letting my MiSter go

The price point is good, but one model being incompatible with other boards is troublesome and the other model goofing with heat dissipation and power supply seems like a fire hazard in the long run. At this point waiting for Taki clone or a backwards compatible new fpga board seems like the best option.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Didn't get through the video yet, but does it have any easy option for TV out / composite? That's always the first question for me; zero interest in buying anything that connects to a modern TV or uses HDMI.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Was looking into something similar (been getting into retro-dev) and read that there are massive price discrepancies between different vendors of FPGA parts, so I'd be cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom