• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions regarding working out, diet pills, and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Alright, so I've made it my goal this year to lose at least 30 pounds. Right now I'm half of the way there. Since around mid-May I've been on a fairly regular program of watching what I eat and running on my treadmill for at least 15-20 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week. (not including the physical labour I do at my warehouse job) So far I have lost 15 pounds but now I sort of feel stuck. Well, maybe not stuck as much as slightly frustrated that the results aren't coming as quickly as they came at the start of my plan.

I know that the first few pounds you drop are probably the easiest since most of it is just water weight and can be put off just by eating better with even a little bit of exercise. I'm still doing the same things as before but I'm only losing about a pound a week right now, whereas I was losing 2-3 before.

I've never been one to pop any kind of pills to help along a diet. I'm sort of considering it right now but I want to know if there is any danger in them. I've heard of pills that help you to sweat more when you work out, and I can see those being beneficial to me during the time I'm on the treadmill. Any opinions on this? I'd like to drop another 10 pounds before September.

So, should I keep going with my current slow-but-steady eat better/treadmill routine, or should I consider getting something that might speed up the process a bit? I'm not a fan of side effects so whatever information anyone can give on safely losing weight and diet pills would be really helpful.

I too have started running running on a treadmill for around 25 minutes 4-5 times a week (running around 3.5km atm). Its great listening to music while your jogging on the treadmill.

I'm actually average built and don't really need to do exercise but I haven't done any exercise since finishing high school 4 years ago so I decided it was time to get back and do some.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is flattening out my stomach. That's what I'm really focusing on.

I've been running on the treadmill for about 3 weeks and have seen ZERO change in my weight!! It just fluctuates around 1-2kg. I'm not concerned about loosing weight but rather getting some muscle tone, flattening my stomach out and having a bit of aerobic fitness. I certainly feel fitter but I have yet to notice any physical changes.

You said you are still seeing changes but much more slowly. Well at least you are still losing weight which is SOMETHING. Perhaps you could try eating smaller servings of food compared to what you normally have. If you feel hungry eat some fruit or drink water but try and resist pigging out.

Good luck with your weight loss anyway! You will be a much happier person in the end. Just stick with it! And don't waste any money on those pills you mentioned.

Alucard

Banned
Good luck with your goals too. I actually want to lose a lot of the weight on my stomach as well. I've got a bit of a belly and I'm just tired of walking around with it. Do crunches help at all or are they only for definition once you actually flatten your stomach through aerobic exercise?

SyNapSe

Alucard said:
I've never been one to pop any kind of pills to help along a diet. I'm sort of considering it right now but I want to know if there is any danger in them. I've heard of pills that help you to sweat more when you work out, and I can see those being beneficial to me during the time I'm on the treadmill. Any opinions on this? I'd like to drop another 10 pounds before September.

So, should I keep going with my current slow-but-steady eat better/treadmill routine, or should I consider getting something that might speed up the process a bit? I'm not a fan of side effects so whatever information anyone can give on safely losing weight and diet pills would be really helpful.

It sounds like your doing exactly what you should be. Just keep it up.. Your not supposed to lose a ton of weight at once.. it's tramatic for the body. You basically just need to stick to the plan you have for the rest of your life. Eat reasonably healthy, and if work out 4-5 times a week.

OmniGamer

I'm in a "second frustration" period right now (first was in March), but you just gotta stick with it and keep going. Healthy bodyfat loss is about 1-2 pounds per week. I've been losing weight for 6 months now and i'm sorta in a "tired" phase...still have about 2 more months to go, and then i can just maintain.

Give it time, you've only started in Mid-May.

Alucard said:
Good luck with your goals too. I actually want to lose a lot of the weight on my stomach as well. I've got a bit of a belly and I'm just tired of walking around with it. Do crunches help at all or are they only for definition once you actually flatten your stomach through aerobic exercise?

You definately need to lose your fat around your stomach through aerobic exercise before crunches will really "do anything". They will still be strengthening and toning your abs but you won't see it really until you lose the fat.

I try to conciously tense my stomach while running. That was its like doing crunches while you are running. 2 for 1 so to speak... because I really hate ab exercises as it puts a lot of pressure on my lower back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom