• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick help needed, Instaling DVD RW Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said here I picked up an LG DVD RW Dual Layer drive today, the GSA-4120B. I want to install this thing, problem is I have never installed a second drive in a computer before, and just have a couple quick questions. First off, I have 2 HD's, and I already have a CD-ROM installed. The HD's are drives C: and D:, and my CD-ROM is E:. Now when I install this drive, will it automaticly be set to being the F: drive? Or do I need to set that up somehow? Secondly I assume since I already have my CD-ROM set to E: this will need to be the slave drive, so I have already set the jumper to the slave function.

Lastyl, I cant remember if you actualy need to have the sound cable from my sound card hooked up to the drive, or not? Because the reason I ask is if you DO need it hooked up from gaming (which I dont think you do) what will I do to hook up the second drive? I have a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer.

And if there's any thing else I should know, please let me know :)

~Black Deatha

Bregor

I'll address the second part first- for nearly all programs these days it is unnecessary to connect the sound cable. I haven't for the last three PC I have built.

How are the HD and optical drives connected to the cables?

Supasso

Black Deatha said:
As I said hereLastyl, I cant remember if you actualy need to have the sound cable from my sound card hooked up to the drive, or not? Because the reason I ask is if you DO need it hooked up from gaming (which I dont think you do) what will I do to hook up the second drive? I have a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer.
If you use Win XP, you don't need to use the sound cable at all.

nubbe

You’ll need to setup slave/master on the units that will share the cable… Windows will find the unit by itself when it’s correctly configured.

It will get F: but you can change it as you see fit in the Disk Manager console

Bregor said:
I'll address the second part first- for nearly all programs these days it is unnecessary to connect the sound cable. I haven't for the last three PC I have built.

How are the HD and optical drives connected to the cables?

Standerd IDE as far as I know.

Supasso said:
If you use Win XP, you don't need to use the sound cable at all.

Yeah I run XP.

nubbe said:
You’ll need to setup slave/master on the units that will share the cable… Windows will find the unit by itself when it’s correctly configured.

It will get F: but you can change it as you see fit in the Disk Manager console

How do I do this? Are you just talking about having the jumpers in the right possitions?

~Black Deatha

Nikashi

Banned
WinXP sets the letters internally, so assuming you hooked everything up right, it'll get it's own drive letter, and it SHOULD be the first one not in use.

I installed it last night (well this morning actualy) before going to bed. And it worked just like that, no probelms there. However I did notice after installing the software that somehow my moust and keyboard software was deleted. So when I turned my computer on again erlyer today I tryed to re-install my software. I have the Logitech MX Duo. So after installing the software again I noticed it didnt even seem to work, My mouse and keyboard extra functions still wernt working, so I downloaded the iTouch software and the mouse software from Logitech's site, and after installing them my funstions now work, but damnit, now my sound is gone.

And I am not sure where to begin on fixing this, should I re-intstall my sound drivers? If anyone can think of an easier way, please suggest it. Damnit I hate when this kind of shit happens. God forbid that drivers wouldent fuck with other drivers.

~Black Deatha

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
iMac-colours.jpg
There's no step 3!!!!1

Ok, now my sound is back, I didnt even do anything yet. It was gona and no it came back on it's own. That doesnt make any scence, but whatever. I tryed playing something in winamp before making the post about the problem, and I had no sound, and than after making the post I heard someone sign on on AIM, and tryed the music in winamp again, and it worked.

~Black Deatha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom