• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick RAM Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is THIS (Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200) compatible with THIS (IWill XP333-R Mobo)?

The IWill product page itself doesn't say that it is compatible with PC-3200, but they show up on the Crucial and Kingston pages that it links to. I've been told that you can pretty much use any faster RAM, just that it will only go as fast as the slowest stick in the rig. I'm guessing the answer should be yes, but I just want to be sure. I currently have two sticks of 256MB PC-2100, so I know that the new one won't be as fast as it could be, but 1 gig of 2100 should be better than half a gig of 3200, no? Also, is $70 a reasonable price for 512MB?

rc213

It should run at PC2100 speeds just fine. But i generally dont suggest mixing brands because it can lead to instability.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
In that case, maybe I'll just wait until I find a better deal on two 512MB sticks then.

BTMash

That's pretty much what happened to me; I had two different brands of ram in my comp (both of which were at different speeds)...suffice to say, I had to end up replacing my mobo in the end (long long story) and removing the older ram that was in there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom