• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick, what's the easiest way to transfer files from one computer to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pops619

I recently got a laptop, and I'd like to transfer files from my old computer to it. What's the simplest way to do this?

Tabris

Hook them up to a router, make sure their under the same workgroup name, share out folders, map a network drive to that shared folder, then transfer the files to your laptop.

miyuru

How much stuff do you want to transfer?

Burning would be the fastest thing to do IMO, since you probably already have a burner in your laptop.

miyuru said:
How much stuff do you want to transfer?

Burning would be the fastest thing to do IMO, since you probably already have a burner in your laptop.

How would having a burner in the laptop he wants to transfer files TO help ?

Pimpwerx

1. router - setup a home network and you can transfer over the airwaves
2. CD/DVD - if you got a burner, then there you go. Buy 5 cheap CDRWs and you're set
3. USB drive - those portable little keychain memory dealies kick ass. I got a 128MB one from Lexar for $20.

PEACE.

CaptainABAB

Print the documents out. But don't worry about having to retype them in. Get a scanner with OCR software. Same applies to images but you might need to get a color printer.

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
CaptainABAB said:
Print the documents out. But don't worry about having to retype them in. Get a scanner with OCR software. Same applies to images but you might need to get a color printer.

IAWTP!

pops619

We're talking like five gigabytes here, so CDRW would be more of a last resort for me. I wish I had a DVD burner, but I don't. It sounds like setting up a network will be my best bet. Thanks for all the input guys.

Mason

Gattsu25 said:
compress the files into zips and transfer them over using AIM :b

I actually tried that the other night but I get horrible upload/download speeds when using AIM so I ditched the idea.

Vlad

Well, with that large of an amount of data, you're really best off networking the two computers and dumping the files that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom