• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

To those you've beaten this game :

IS it wrong that i'm liking the whole cast ( even the vilains ? )
It doesn't help that in the true Ending is IMO ( so well done )

Eruca using "EVADE" to avoid the assination attempt in her ending made me smile.

This familly is awesome , they see a skill once and they can learn it ...

Gambit

Beaten this game last night with the true ending. It was excellent. A true gem that had all the charm of the late SNES/PSX era. It's like a missing masterpiece from that time that was only just found. Like the poster above me, I like all the characters.

One small disappointment is that I didn't get to fight Selvan and Dias. Are they optional bosses somewhere? I doubt it

Say, does the final question in the true ending matter? For what it's worth, I decided I am Stocke, not Ernst.

My final party was Stocke, Marco and my usual Aht made way for Gafka.

Anyway, excellent game, I am hoping the team will create a successor (not necessarily sequel). Now I shall concentrate on Xenoblade

OK so I said in the RTTP Half-Life 2 thread that I needed to get back to finishing it, but I also need to get back to finishing this game. Though I think I might be forgivable because my RPG time was recently overtaken by EarthBound which I'm playing for the first time.

I do like the concept of this game though and look forward to finishing it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
R_thanatos said:
Currently in chapter 6 standard history ...

LOVING THE GAME .. so glad i'm on holiday to enjoy it even more ..

this game is pretty much what i want from a jrpg these days ( likable cast , serious sidequesting , good battle system , awesome soundtrack )

Yeah, I just got to chapter 6 standard history myself... surprised how fast chapters 4 and 5 went in standard... about 24 hours into the game. But I haven't really done much of the sidequests yet. How much longer is the mainline game?

Ok, I know I must be missing something simple and obvious but I can't move forward.

I'm right near the beginning where I have a choice to go to the caves and look for the informant or sit around and wait for him to show up. I have chose both options now and choosing to go into the mines is a game ended.
I'm left to wait. I go into the cave right above the save point and there is a soldier and a chest behind some rocks. I have searched outside but all I can do is go back to the starting town, nothing progresses the story.......

Gambit

Incitemaybe said:
Ok, I know I must be missing something simple and obvious but I can't move forward.

I'm right near the beginning where I have a choice to go to the caves and look for the informant or sit around and wait for him to show up. I have chose both options now and choosing to go into the mines is a game ended.
I'm left to wait. I go into the cave right above the save point and there is a soldier and a chest behind some rocks. I have searched outside but all I can do is go back to the starting town, nothing progresses the story.......

You have to go to the other timeline. It's always the solution.
In this case, I think you have to make sure the informant is alive and able to come. Unfortunately I cannot remember where exactly right now. If it comes back to me, I will update

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Incitemaybe said:

Previous poster was right; go to the other timeline by going back in time to the first decision node and choose to ally with Rosch at the beginning instead. Note that you can skip dialogue that you've already read though by holding Start (to skip the whole scene) or X (to FF through dialogue).

When in doubt, switch timelines. You will usually find your answer to your question in the current timeline in the other timeline.

wazoo

It is not always as trivial, and sometimes it make no sense, but jumping between the two timelines is always the solution.

Blutonium

Just to be sure: I can import the US version and play it on my European 3DS right?

I didn't check this thread for answers because I want to go in completely fresh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blutonium said:
Just to be sure: I can import the US version and play it on my European 3DS right?

I didn't check this thread for answers because I want to go in completely fresh.
Absolutely. I don't think this game is DSi-enhanced, and just a regular DS game. I know that quite a bit of GAF members in Europe imported it just fine.

Thanks for the replies!

At one point I was reset back to the " decide between Rosch & Heiss" node and I wondered why I was set so far back when the last choice had been "head to Alma cave or stay".

Headed back to choose Rosch then........also, I'm really liking this game.

wazoo said:
It is not always as trivial, and sometimes it make no sense, but jumping between the two timelines is always the solution.
it's either that or going back to a previous point of the current timeline to redo it with new elements

Im trying to complete all the side quests but I'm having troubled with 'What was inherited'

I saw the bad ending where the thaumachines invaded Granorg, and then I denied the botanist access to the conut pamphlet, but the quest is not marked as CLEAR.
Is it even possible to clear than quest?

Haven't played it in a while, so I went back to look it up, and you have to go back to a previous time and talk to the father again. Teo and Lipti should have hinted at it.

CrankyKong said:
Im trying to complete all the side quests but I'm having troubled with 'What was inherited'

I saw the bad ending where the thaumachines invaded Granorg, and then I denied the botanist access to the conut pamphlet, but the quest is not marked as CLEAR.
Is it even possible to clear than quest?
Crap gets complicated.

You can convince the botanist to do something productive with himself if you try again, IIRC.

AniHawk

i keep going from not liking, to being indifferent towards, and then liking this game. i made a lot of progress this weekend. figured i should get through this game before really delving into deus ex. now on ah final chapter, and i'm worried the little story tidbits i missed are gonna be a pain in the ass in collecting/finishing.

also, holy fuck at the mist spider. how the fuck are you supposed to kill that with aht and stocke?

AniHawk said:
also, holy fuck at the mist spider. how the fuck are you supposed to kill that with aht and stocke?

I don't know witch fight against a giant spider you're talking about so 'im gonna be brief .. Usually you should be able to remove aht from the party at the save point before( because well she can't use traps ). If you can't then aht should be in healing mode while stocke & co is attacking ..

AniHawk

R_thanatos said:
I don't know witch fight against a giant spider you're talking about so 'im gonna be brief .. Usually you should be able to remove aht from the party at the save point before( because well she can't use traps ). If you can't then aht should be in healing mode while stocke & co is attacking ..
this was an optional fight, but i managed to kill it thanks to a couple items and mana bursts i had prepared.

AniHawk

so i beat it, and i got the true ending.

it was alright.

actually, it was a lot more linear than i expected. that kinda sucked. it's been 11 years since i've played it, but i remember chrono trigger being a lot more fluid with its time travel. battle system was pretty meh. for all its problems, infinite space was the more interesting ds rpg i've played somewhat recently.

final crew was stocke + aht + gafka. actually, they were my main crew for about half the game. any time switching to marco and raynie was doable, but kind of a pain. almost never used rosch or eruca because they're useless and you never get a real chance to use/level them anyway.

AniHawk said:
so i beat it, and i got the true ending.

it was alright.

actually, it was a lot more linear than i expected. that kinda sucked. it's been 11 years since i've played it, but i remember chrono trigger being a lot more fluid with its time travel. battle system was pretty meh. for all its problems, infinite space was the more interesting ds rpg i've played somewhat recently.

final crew was stocke + aht + gafka. actually, they were my main crew for about half the game. any time switching to marco and raynie was doable, but kind of a pain. almost never used rosch or eruca because they're useless and you never get a real chance to use/level them anyway.

If you do both of their sidequests to get more skills.. eruca becomes quite better . Eruca can DIVINE LIGHT and trans turn , making some broken combos IMO..

A team of Rosch , stocke , gafka can do lots of damage too. IMO aht becomes less and less usefull the more you do post game stuff

AniHawk

R_thanatos said:
If you do both of their sidequests to get more skills.. eruca becomes quite better . Eruca can DIVINE LIGHT and trans turn , making some broken combos IMO..

A team of Rosch , stocke , gafka can do lots of damage too. IMO aht becomes less and less usefull the more you do post game stuff

i never really stick around rpgs for those sorts of things. at least radiant historia has a pretty clever way of getting around the post game unlike most rpgs that either make you trudge through new game +. the time travel idea is used well there.

R_thanatos said:

Bingo. My ending party was Stocke+Eruca+Marco. It is good for the game to say about that you can build interesting parties to bosses, strengths, and playstyles.

Jintor

This battle system is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I thought it was good at first but not anymore.

and does the game open up any? Feels like I've been stuck in linear timeline hopping for a while now.

Chapter 5-ish, level 30 or so.

Jintor said:
This battle system is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I thought it was good at first but not anymore.

The battle system has a lot of neat ideas but you end up not needing to use most of them. Many RPGs have this problem, though I feel it's particularly acute in Radiant Historia. I still enjoyed it.

and does the game open up any? Feels like I've been stuck in linear timeline hopping for a while now.

You'll be hopping along the two timelines for the entire game; you're never able to travel anywhere or anytime completely at will.

Jintor said:

Chapter 5 ? level 30 ? You didn't do much sidequests,did you ? Are you in standard history or in alternate ?

As for the battle system , you're free to broke it or to abide by it's rules ... The tales of have the same problem ..where you can play normally or just broke the game in various ways ..
if you don't like it broken , don't broke it ... ( i love it just a little broken )

Personnaly i think you can break it by accident if you stay too long at a place ... but that's a given if you'relooking at sloving the quests of thsi game without a faq... You end up overleveled with gorgeous skills

Jintor

R_thanatos said:
Chapter 5 ? level 30 ? You didn't do much sidequests,did you ? Are you in standard history or in alternate ?

As for the battle system , you're free to broke it or to abide by it's rules ... The tales of have the same problem ..where you can play normally or just broke the game in various ways ..
if you don't like it broken , don't broke it ... ( i love it just a little broken )

Personnaly i think you can break it by accident if you stay too long at a place ... but that's a given if you'relooking at sloving the quests of thsi game without a faq... You end up overleveled with gorgeous skills

I've been doing sidequests but they don't really give XP so I don't see what you're getting at...

I mean, the deal is that I don't like the battle system enough to tolerate grinding.

Jintor said:
I've been doing sidequests but they don't really give XP so I don't see what you're getting at...

I mean, the deal is that I don't like the battle system enough to tolerate grinding.

my point is that sidequests make you back track A LOT ..and i mean it .. and if you don't flee , then you're bound to get more and more XP ..this is especially TRUE while looking for a particular event/or item without a faq in a hostile territory. The fact that there are points where you can free HEAL doesn't make this an issue at ALL by the way.but this is bound to happen , unless you have a faq or you're a god at planning ahead.

IMO there are 3 Key point where you FEEL the difficulty going up if you haven't done anything .. you may be at one of these points

Jintor

Ah, I see. Most of the Sidequests I've done so far have primarily been just jumping between town nodes.

Where's the botanist prior in time to the coconut decision? (Or whatever it is)?

Starting to grind. I fucking hate grinding.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jintor said:
Ah, I see. Most of the Sidequests I've done so far have primarily been just jumping between town nodes.

Where's the botanist prior in time to the coconut decision? (Or whatever it is)?

Starting to grind. I fucking hate grinding.
You do not generally need to grind, but I will caution that some people felt they hit a difficulty jump in Chapter 4 AH or so... Like the previous poster said, sidequests make you backtrack quite a bit, so you end up leveling up as a result.

To make the battle system more fluid, you should really combo and switch around characters' turns in order to help you combo better and faster. Just knock enemies into each other with line attacks or orientation switch attacks (left attack/right attack, etc) and battles go by faster. If you alternate between physical attack, magic, physical attack, magic and so on, your combo meter goes up more and you will be able to deal slightly more damage. If you are doing character sidequests for their extra skills, it contributes to making the battle system a little more fun and more fluid. At least, that's how I felt. I can see how some people can see it differently, however.

The sidequests are generally like that. Not all of them, though. If you're doing the "What Was Inherited" quest, the botanist you are looking for lives in Alistel (go to a Standard History Chapter 1 node that is in Alistel---it's called... "To Granorg", I think?)... his kids are to the right of the weapon shop. Talk to them first, and then go into his house (it's to the right of the weapon shop, iirc).

If you need more sidequest help, go to this thread on GameFAQs (but I will caution that some spoilers are in it; but since you're in Chapter 5, you should be a little ok). You just need ten sidequests for the true ending, though. I've outlined which ones in an earlier post.

Jintor

Which one's Alternate History and which one's Standard history? Alternate is Roche and Standard is Heiss, yeah?

My other deal is that it's a tad tricky remembering which characters are available in which nodes. I'll get it eventually though. Wow, the Princess's arrow ability is hella powerful...

Jintor

I think I'm only Chapter 4 then for both of them, I got confused.

The Satyros village is launching the counteroffensive in one timeline but the enemies are too boss for me right now. In the other timeline, uh, I think Roche just killed the princess

I can probably redo the timeline split right now but I was sidequesting for a bit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jintor said:
I think I'm only Chapter 4 then for both of them, I got confused.

The Satyros village is launching the counteroffensive in one timeline but the enemies are too boss for me right now. In the other timeline, uh, I think Roche just killed the princess

I can probably redo the timeline split right now but I was sidequesting for a bit.
You're in Chapter 4 AH (for certain) and Chapter...3 SH, I think...?
in the Standard History, Marco asked you if he could keep watch for the night, right? Tell him you'll keep watch instead.

I know that the enemies in Chapter 4 end up being a huge difficulty jump. If you are having difficulty with the normal enemies, you will almost certainly have trouble with the boss for this chapter. Level 30 or so might be good here, imo. I know some people had to grind to higher. Note that the everything in the boss fight for AH Chapter 4 is weak against lightning.

If you need to level up a bit, you have a few options:
->
Go back to Chapter 3 where Granorg is burning down. The soldiers there are pretty easy fodder, but the XP rate might be piddly. Just note that the more combos you do, the more money and XP you get at the end of a battle

->
Stay in Chapter 4 AH and fight the mobs around you to level up. The goal is to shove the enemies around in an orderly fashion onto the traps to kill them all. You can use Aht's traps, Raynie/Stocke's magic, Rosch's row attacks, Gafka's hard-hitting attacks and Marco's support--you can also try to buff your party with items/spells as well (but don't use too much because you're gonna need them if you're gonna fight some optional bosses!). There will be some instances where you can't muscle your way through and need to play it safe. The enemies give lots of XP too.

I hope that helps.

Jintor

Should be good. Despite my whining I'm getting back into the swing of things, I just wish there was an animation-turn off option so I could fast-forward enemy moves or something.

So impatient!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
After not playing for over a month I jumped back in a few days ago. This is still my favorite game I've played thus far this year. I've enjoyed it more than Portal 2, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Deus Ex: HR. I'm near the end, having started the final chapter for the alternative history. I'm debating right now on whether to complete all the sidequests. They aren't particularly fun and I can watch the true ending online.

Jintor

Just finished. Wow, goddamn. I was nitpicking away but that true ending sequence was just really powerful. I think there were quite a few things that could have been better, but that was an extremely emotionally satisfying ending.

I have to applaud the characters and the localisation team. Expertly done.

I still wasn't a big fan of the combat by the end, but it was more interesting than other turn-based RPG combat, so whatever. A great pity there wasn't more music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A Human Becoming said:
After not playing for over a month I jumped back in a few days ago. This is still my favorite game I've played thus far this year. I've enjoyed it more than Portal 2, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Deus Ex: HR. I'm near the end, having started the final chapter for the alternative history. I'm debating right now on whether to complete all the sidequests. They aren't particularly fun and I can watch the true ending online.
You only need ten sidequests to get the True Ending. You don't have to bother with the bad ending for them and only get the good ending. You do not need to complete all nodes for the True Ending.

I've listed the required sidequests here.

Jintor said:
Just finished. Wow, goddamn. I was nitpicking away but that true ending sequence was just really powerful. I think there were quite a few things that could have been better, but that was an extremely emotionally satisfying ending.

I have to applaud the characters and the localisation team. Expertly done.

I still wasn't a big fan of the combat by the end, but it was more interesting than other turn-based RPG combat, so whatever. A great pity there wasn't more music.
Glad you enjoyed it (even though the combat was a bit of a low point for you and continued to be towards the end), and yes... the soundtrack could stand to be more than 25 tracks.

Jintor

I really, really liked that Stocke was competent and not pants-on-head retarded. In fact, I don't think any character was guilty of being wildly stupid in any way.

The only character I felt whose writing suffered was Heiss during his megalomaniac stage and that was because his motivations hadn't yet been explained during that whole sequence.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jintor said:
I really, really liked that Stocke was competent and not pants-on-head retarded. In fact, I don't think any character was guilty of being wildly stupid in any way.

The only character I felt whose writing suffered was Heiss during his megalomaniac stage and that was because his motivations hadn't yet been explained during that whole sequence.
I think I liked Stocke from the beginning. My friend equated him to an "RPG Solid Snake", but I liked him because he had his head on his shoulders and was calm for the most part. We don't get a lot of RPG protagonists like him, so his "focused on the mission, but not wishy-washy or a complete jerk" personality and his early-game motives were quite refreshing to me.

Heiss wasn't necessarily bad, but I felt like his motives could have been built up a little better. In fact, I felt like Selvan, Dios and Protea should have given me more trouble than they did. That, in retrospect, is a bit of a shortcoming to me.
But the overarching narrative was executed pretty well, imo.

Jintor

Reading back through the spoiler tags in the thread, people were struggling with lvl 64 characters? By the time I was done I only had...*checks* level 54 stock, 53 Rayne, and Lvl 53 Marco, and I breezed through most of it. Maybe I just cheaped out on the combat system.

I didn't fight the master though, couldn't be bothered by the end

/edit also, wow at people saying the game looks washed out and blurry on the 3DS... WOAH I just launched it in its original resolution EVERYTHING IS SO SHARP. Don't think I could have played it like this, though.

djtiesto

Just did nearly every possible sidequest and started AH chapter 6... seems like I'm in the home stretch, with 34 hours on the game clock. Hope to have this wrapped up pretty soon, the novelty of the concept, solid storyline, and the clever battle engine really outweigh the game's flaws (too much backtracking, poor animation, ugly backgrounds, too little music/monsters).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Jintor said:
/edit also, wow at people saying the game looks washed out and blurry on the 3DS... WOAH I just launched it in its original resolution EVERYTHING IS SO SHARP. Don't think I could have played it like this, though.

After I read this I loaded it into it's original resolution and damn, it IS a lot sharper! Oh well, I kind of liked the washed out look.

Dark Schala said:
You only need ten sidequests to get the True Ending. You don't have to bother with the bad ending for them and only get the good ending. You do not need to complete all nodes for the True Ending.

I've listed the required sidequests here.

Thanks. I already had a few done and now I only have two to go. I read that last one is rather difficult though. :\

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Beat it with the true ending. Final dungeon kind of sucked with the blocks, crystals reappearing and the boss rush. Final boss was fairly easy. Very fun game overall despite its faults.

djtiesto said:
Just did nearly every possible sidequest and started AH chapter 6... seems like I'm in the home stretch, with 34 hours on the game clock. Hope to have this wrapped up pretty soon, the novelty of the concept, solid storyline, and the clever battle engine really outweigh the game's flaws (too much backtracking, poor animation, ugly backgrounds, too little music/monsters).

Back tracking HAS to be expected in a game dealing with time travel ...
Music scores are beautifull , even if they are not numerous

djtiesto

R_thanatos said:
Back tracking HAS to be expected in a game dealing with time travel ...
Music scores are beautifull , even if they are not numerous

Yeah, and since you had the spell to hide yourself, you were able to make it through areas pretty quick. But I got so sick of Lazvil Hills and the Sand Fortress...

Effect

Just ordered this from Amazon.com. Been looking for a new game to buy. Was going to get Solatorobo but decided against it. While very charming I wanted more then what the game was offering combat wise after watching videos on it's combat system. Then I remembered this game and said why not. Especially since it wasn't overpriced, in stock, and I couldn't find Devil Survivor Overlocked for a reasonable price online. Not getting Xenoblade and being tired of FPS (and deciding to wait for reviews of Rage and to see if it's price drops) has also played a big part in this. Here's hoping it's enjoyable.

Is it hard to get the "true" ending of the game? Or just time consuming making sure you make all the right decisions? Is there a point where you are locked out of it or do you just have to make sure you complete all the quest?

Effect said:
Is it hard to get the "true" ending of the game? Or just time consuming making sure you make all the right decisions? Is there a point where you are locked out of it or do you just have to make sure you complete all the quest?

Nah, there's new game +/continue open to you after your playthrough

djtiesto

Beat this game last nite with 236/236 nodes completed, the ending was great (I got all the different nodes to unlock the "true ending"), and there's nothing more satisfying than stringing together 50-hit combos. Awesome game, its flaws are easily overlooked.

Loved:
-the progression of the game, the alternate timelines, the fact there is nothing missable
-good characterization, apart from Kiel I didn't really dislike any of the characters
-sidequests that actually affect the storyline/ending
-battle system allowed for a nice mix of strategy
-challenge level was pretty well-balanced
-storyline for about 90% of the game is pretty captivating
-it really felt like a long-lost late 16-bit RPG

Didn't like:
-final plot arc (in the last chapter) was kinda silly
-too many reused sprites
-too little music
-shitty DS 3D
-a bit too much backtracking, especially running through Lazvil Hills and the Sand Fortress

Top Bottom