• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Edgeward

Any battle tips, like what chars/skills are really good? Sometimes I feel the normal battles can take too long for my liking especially when it is about 6 -8 of those and some of them are vines and immovable. And God help me if I get ambushed because the timing of sword swings doesn't click with me at times.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well so far I find that if I just position the enemies properly, battles go by very quickly. If the enemies are too hard to position, then defer 3 of your turns down the road so that you have 6 turns in a row. If you're fighting enemies that take up more than one space, keep in mind that targeting them will hit enemies over both their spaces. Very useful.

Stocke is the only one with the ability to move enemies left/right so far, so I usually start things off with him. But as best I can, I try to keep my hard hitting abilities for last, when all the enemies are stacked up.

Edgeward

Yea, I've done all that except deferring my turn. Seems like way too risky of a gamble with the penalty given as well, especially don't want to defer with a char like Ahn and her low Def. I wish there was a way to move vine like enemies, they ruin how good Ahn's traps are.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I don't have Ahn yet. But whenever I'm fighting vines, I tend to just hit one enemy on top of them and then take them on the first blow and then take both the enemy and vine out in a single turn. Battles usually don't take more than 2-3 sets of turns.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheExodu5 said:
Also one of the best soundtracks in a while. I'm not sure why some people are so down on it. :(
Probably because it only consists of 25 tracks. 25 great tracks, mind you, but it's too bad there's so little.

Edgeward said:
Any battle tips, like what chars/skills are really good? Sometimes I feel the normal battles can take too long for my liking especially when it is about 6 -8 of those and some of them are vines and immovable. And God help me if I get ambushed because the timing of sword swings doesn't click with me at times.
During endgame I used...
Stocke, Aht and Gafka. If you do all the character skill sidequests, you get better AoE skills. Gafka, for example, can get Wind God Strike, that pushes all enemies (save for vines and crystals) into the center, and then you can just cast a spell to kill everything.
But during the final boss, I used...
Stocke, Gafka and Marco. Don't bring Aht along

But I used Raynie/Marco/Stocke for some parts of the game. Marco and Stocke can take turns moving enemies around the grid, while Raynie casts magic to kill all enemies on one grid point. I grinded a lot during the game, though, so that's probably why I had an easier time.

Marco learns Right Assault and Left Assault in the Marco the Calm Skill Scroll sidequest (edit: which you can probably go back to Chapter 1 and do right now). Stocke learns Will O Wisp in his Blades Trial sidequest. Marco also learns Spin Slash which will help build up combos and dole out more damage. Aveyn Knight and JEKKI explain the impact of combos here earlier on in this thread.

And if you want to make boss battles a little easier, use a Poison Wing. I cannot stress this enough. Poison is your best friend for life in this game.

Also, don't forget that you can switch turns with allies and enemies to synchronize your attacks properly.

This thread on GameFAQs will help out with some of the sidequests, but I do believe it spoils some things.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been using Raynie's poison ability quite a bit. On a strong enemy, I just start off with it and he takes quite a bit of damage from it over the fight.

Is there a reason I should be using a poison wing over her ability?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheExodu5 said:
I've been using Raynie's poison ability quite a bit. On a strong enemy, I just start off with it and he takes quite a bit of damage from it over the fight.

Is there a reason I should be using a poison wing over her ability?
That's perfectly fine too.

I used Poison Wings just because I preferred Raynie using her MP on other offensive spells instead. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really liking the equipment selection as well. It's not a completely straightforward set of upgrades as in FF...you usually seem to be able to pick in between gearing your character for ATK/M.ATK, and DEF/M.DEF. It adds a bit of flavor.

Sianos

Edgeward said:

Aht is good for everything except for immovable bosses and vines/crystals. She deals massive, massive damage with her traps.

I used a party of Stocke - Raynie - Aht, but I think any party could work with enough strategy.

Edgeward

Dark Schala said:
Probably because it only consists of 25 tracks. 25 great tracks, mind you, but it's too bad there's so little.

During endgame I used...
Stocke, Aht and Gafka. If you do all the character skill sidequests, you get better AoE skills. Gafka, for example, can get Wind God Strike, that pushes all enemies (save for vines and crystals) into the center, and then you can just cast a spell to kill everything.
But during the final boss, I used...
Stocke, Gafka and Marco. Don't bring Aht along

But I used Raynie/Marco/Stocke for some parts of the game. Marco and Stocke can take turns moving enemies around the grid, while Raynie casts magic to kill all enemies on one grid point. I grinded a lot during the game, though, so that's probably why I had an easier time.

Marco learns Right Assault and Left Assault in the Marco the Calm Skill Scroll sidequest (edit: which you can probably go back to Chapter 1 and do right now). Stocke learns Will O Wisp in his Blades Trial sidequest. Marco also learns Spin Slash which will help build up combos and dole out more damage. Aveyn Knight and JEKKI explain the impact of combos here earlier on in this thread.

And if you want to make boss battles a little easier, use a Poison Wing. I cannot stress this enough. Poison is your best friend for life in this game.

Also, don't forget that you can switch turns with allies and enemies to synchronize your attacks properly.

This thread on GameFAQs will help out with some of the sidequests, but I do believe it spoils some things.

Err, yes Aht I meant haha. Yes, I got Marco to learn one of the side assault ones, hopefully i get the other one as well without a guide. But eventually I'll have to as going back in with the guide as certain timeline spots to complete some of the quests are a pain to get to again. I guess I should defer more, given all the comments. And I've forgotten how good poison is when Raynie is not in my party. Gonna stock up on wings next time then.

Thanks for all the advise guys.

MoogPaul

TheExodu5 said:
I'm really liking the equipment selection as well. It's not a completely straightforward set of upgrades as in FF...you usually seem to be able to pick in between gearing your character for ATK/M.ATK, and DEF/M.DEF. It adds a bit of flavor.

Totally agree. I was moving equipment around way more in this game than in most. I would actually hold onto gear to swap out because the equipment seemed so polarized as far as ATK/M.ATK and DEF/M.DEF.

I just finished this yesterday. Didn't get the true ending, or at least I don't think I did. Really enjoyed the grid and combo system from the battles. The story was pretty good, political drama's, such as Vagrant Story and FF:T, tend to be my favorite type of RPG story. I ended up using Raine and Macro for most of the game, rounding up everyone into a group with Stocke and Macro and bringing down some incredibly stacked Raine magic attack. The magic was a little too over powered in the game though.

I would love to see this team take up another game in this series but not new characters. Maybe a little more freedom in the sense that it seemed a little odd to cut off huge sections of the map at different points in the story. Made it seem really small even though it does take place on one continent.

Picked this up recently and unfortunately I'm just not enjoying it. :-(

*SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER 1*

When I heard the premise of branching timelines, I thought "Cool!" and decided to give it a whirl.

But really, my choices in the game seem meaningless - I thought this was a game about how your minute decisions impact the world at large. Instead, the game likes to take you by the hand and say, "You got this ability! Here, go do this now!" or "Hey! How about visiting that other timeline?"

The breaking point for me was when I decided to go back to the enemy barricade after sneaking by using the 'sword dance' skill I learned from that eager-beaver emasculated military kid (the one who idolizes Stocke). Upon my return I decided to force my way through instead, only to reach a lame game over screen, followed by the twins' completely unhelpful suggestion to learn some sort of 'parlor trick.' If these are the sorts of puzzles the game has to offer, I'm going to return this. I'd heard comparisons to Choose Your Own Adventure books, but it doesn't really ring true. In those books, there were plenty of 'branching points', not just dead-ends.

The worst part is that the time travel doesn't make sense - I save a merchant in Timeline A, and that somehow impacts Timeline B - he's saved even though I didn't do anything. Maybe upcoming revelations about the Black Chronicle and it's owner will shed some light on this, but for right now, it's confusing as all hell. I was hoping this game would be a cross between Chrono Trigger and Shadow of Destiny, in which I would use my KNOWLEDGE from one timeline to prevent or change events that happen in another, but it's honestly pretty boring at the moment...

I don't want to come down too hard on this game. The grid-based strategy and the music are WONDERFUL, but the characters and the plot just aren't keeping my interest. Does it get better?

TheExodu5

Banned
What I love about the game is what you despise. I like the fact that I get to experience all of the branches, within the context of the story, with no real repercussion.

But yeah, so far, the interactions of the timelines don't make sense...but whatever. Maybe it gets explained at some point. If not, I'll just accept it as it is.

The way I presume it 'might' work is that the alterations caused by either the white or black chronicles exist in the same space. The merchant getting delayed was caused by the black chronicle (according to the twins), so undoing it in one timeline has the same effect in both timelines. Something like that.

Time travel always results in a paradox, so you have to accept that it works within the given parameters.

The timelines do effect each other, because that's how time travel works in this game. Prove to me that time travel in real life doesn't act the same way.
2jcpli.jpg

Anyway, you're right in that it doesn't have much "choose your own adventure" to it. Most of the choices are simple good/bad decisions, with an instant "payoff" if you choose wrong.

But I'd argue that those things aren't bad -- they're just design decisions the game doesn't try to handle. You're supposed to only care about the two main timelines, and all the sidequests and hopping around through time happens within that context.

I'm on the final chapter now, we'll see where this goes...

TheExodu5 said:
What I love about the game is what you despise. I like the fact that I get to experience all of the branches, within the context of the story, with no real repercussion.
The trouble I have is that such choices become meaningless, or that's the way it appears. There's no sense of agency in any of these big DECISIONS that Stocke has to make.

Maybe the plot is gleaned through these wrong-choice 'Game Over' screens?

TheExodu5

Banned
Crazy branching storylines with a bunch of missable events are not really characteristic of JRPGs anyways...that's more of a WRPG thing. I really like that nothing is missable at all in this game, and you get to freely experience past events in the game as you will. It's a very unique feeling.

Exclamation-One said:
The trouble I have is that such choices become meaningless, or that's the way it appears. There's no sense of agency in any of these big DECISIONS that Stocke has to make.

Maybe the plot is gleaned through these wrong-choice 'Game Over' screens?

Yeah but did you ever play the choose your own adventure books? I'd often be tempted to see "oh, what happens if I were to do this". I see the death page, laugh it off, and go back to where I previously was. This is mostly just replicating that, except with more freedom to experience everything the book has to offer, as it makes it very easy to go back and track all of your branches.

Edgeward

I'm playing this after completing another DS game (tagging it since it could giveaway something, just in case)
, so that timeline effect stuff make perfect sense to me lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Chrono Helix said:
Unfortunately the game was pretty much meant to be linear for a time travelling story.

I guess this is where some of us will disagree. I enjoy the linearity in the context of a time travel story. I'd enjoy a non-linear game with the same mechanic as well, but I realize that both designs, for me, would make for different, yet equally enjoyable games.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah but did you ever play the choose your own adventure books? I'd often be tempted to see "oh, what happens if I were to do this". I see the death page, laugh it off, and go back to where I previously was. This is mostly just replicating that, except with more freedom to experience everything the book has to offer, as it makes it very easy to go back and track all of your branches.
On the contrary, the game feels like it has less freedom.

Diagrams...

RH:

...................................................................wrong...........................wrong.............
......................................................................|...................................|.................
......................................................................|...................................|.................
.................../---> Timeline A ------->-------- CHOICE ---->----------- CHOICE ---->
---------------
...................\---> Timeline B ------->-------- CHOICE ---->----------- CHOICE ---->
...................................................................wrong...........................wrong.............

Now here's Choose Your Own Adventure in comparison:

sturls-map.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, I totally like how nothing is unmissable. I think that's a plus, a good feature. I just feel like the game's introduction promised a story about 'choice' and I feel a little cheated.

Also, are the sidequests challenging? The combat's serviceable, but I'm really looking forward to something meaty in terms of puzzles to figure out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Exclamation-One said:
Picked this up recently and unfortunately I'm just not enjoying it. :-(

*SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER 1*

When I heard the premise of branching timelines, I thought "Cool!" and decided to give it a whirl.

But really, my choices in the game seem meaningless - I thought this was a game about how your minute decisions impact the world at large. Instead, the game likes to take you by the hand and say, "You got this ability! Here, go do this now!" or "Hey! How about visiting that other timeline?"

The breaking point for me was when I decided to go back to the enemy barricade after sneaking by using the 'sword dance' skill I learned from that eager-beaver emasculated military kid (the one who idolizes Stocke). Upon my return I decided to force my way through instead, only to reach a lame game over screen, followed by the twins' completely unhelpful suggestion to learn some sort of 'parlor trick.' If these are the sorts of puzzles the game has to offer, I'm going to return this. I'd heard comparisons to Choose Your Own Adventure books, but it doesn't really ring true. In those books, there were plenty of 'branching points', not just dead-ends.

The worst part is that the time travel doesn't make sense - I save a merchant in Timeline A, and that somehow impacts Timeline B - he's saved even though I didn't do anything. Maybe upcoming revelations about the Black Chronicle and it's owner will shed some light on this, but for right now, it's confusing as all hell. I was hoping this game would be a cross between Chrono Trigger and Shadow of Destiny, in which I would use my KNOWLEDGE from one timeline to prevent or change events that happen in another, but it's honestly pretty boring at the moment...

I don't want to come down too hard on this game. The grid-based strategy and the music are WONDERFUL, but the characters and the plot just aren't keeping my interest. Does it get better?
That is unfortunate.

But for the most part, the branches do end up with making a decision that would either end in continuing the game or bringing you to a bad end... which does impact the world at large, it just isn't playable. Even some sidequests do this. That is the extent of the decision-making. Technically it is not a choose your own adventure book. That's more of 999's storytelling (which you should go out and play now if you haven't done so). This is a low-budget JRPG... and it's more than likely going to be linear. I guess it's to give the illusion of choice/nonlinearity that is a characteristic of other JRPGs, imo.

The timelines are explained later on in the game with the Chronicles, but I don't think they'll provide the answer that you seek. I don't think the game is asking you to think hard about its philosophy of time travel (which is always going to be wonky... we don't have stuff like "The Darkness Beyond Time" or "Time Error" or "Temporal Vortices" like Chrono Trigger does in this game). You're only supposed to concentrate on two timelines here... I'd argue that they're almost like
Chrono Cross's dimensional rifts
, to be honest with you... one thing in one timeline affects the same thing in the other timeline. It's limiting, yes, but it's just a design decision on the developer's part.

The game gets better plotwise around Chapters 2-3 (AH), imo... when
shit hits the fan
, basically. But at least you're liking the battle system and music! In hindsight, Chapter 1 is meh compared to the Prologue and the end of Chapter 2 and beginning of Chapter 3 in both timelines.

And to answer your other question down the page:

-Sidequests mostly consist of either battles or fetch quests (the latter moreso than the former). But they do reward excellent weapons, items, armour, and character skills. Not to mention that a few of these sidequests are needed for the true ending. Some of the sidequests that are battles are a little challenging... for example, there is one sidequest in particular that houses the optional boss that is more powerful than the final boss (and this nets you
Stocke's ultimate weapon
.)

Re: Sidequests, I mean do they actually require any brainpower at all to solve?

For instance, I met a painter in Granorg who needs a special green paint. Apparently, the man who knows how to mix the paint died in an accident at Alma Mine. In the White Chronicle, there's now a new entry that reads: "Kaizan at the Granorg inn asks Stocke to obtain a special paint. It seems the man who makes it died in Alma Mine."

Okay, great. However, because the game thinks I'm too fucking stupid to figure out things on my own, Stocke thinks to himself, "Alistel defended Alma Mine in the other timeline! I wonder if his life turned out differently other there..."

Seriously, really? Could I have at least done a little thinking on my own? If the sidequests continue to be so brain-dead, I'm going to take the DS card and rage smash it with a large hammer, Docpan-style. Please tell me there's some kind of thinking involved in this game. :(

Exclamation-One said:
Could I have at least done a little thinking on my own?...

but you appear to be doing a lot of thinking on your own - as in, 'over-thinking' :) ...

the time travel in rh is simply a narrative mechanic, & not a gateway leading to an elaborate universe of multiple diverse outcomes. what it does, it does well. that it doesn't do what you wish it did, or wanted it to, is pretty obvious, & if you can't come to grips with that, & just enjoy it for what it is, you should definitely just pass on it...

TheExodu5

Banned
Exclamation-One said:

For instance, I met a painter in Granorg who needs a special green paint. Apparently, the man who knows how to mix the paint died in an accident at Alma Mine. In the White Chronicle, there's now a new entry that reads: "Kaizan at the Granorg inn asks Stocke to obtain a special paint. It seems the man who makes it died in Alma Mine."

Okay, great. However, because the game thinks I'm too fucking stupid to figure out things on my own, Stocke thinks to himself, "Alistel defended Alma Mine in the other timeline! I wonder if his life turned out differently other there..."

Seriously, really? Could I have at least done a little thinking on my own? If the sidequests continue to be so brain-dead, I'm going to take the DS card and rage smash it with a large hammer, Docpan-style. Please tell me there's some kind of thinking involved in this game. :(

How else would you have the game phrase it? You don't want it to mention that he was in Alma Mine at all, so that you just have to test both timelines and talk to everyone until you find him?

edit: oh I see...the bolded part.

Grzi

finalozzo said:
guys, which party should i use?

Every character has it's uses so it doesn't matter really, but Aht is probably the best damage dealer. She kinda sucks (although she has a couple of powerful non-trap attacks) against unmovable enemies, but it didn't bother me.
So I used Stocke, Aht and Eruca. Eruca is pretty powerful too, especially if you get her secret skills.

MechaX

Exclamation-One said:

I don't know about requiring brainpower, but you'll probably miss 90% of the side quests without a guide, sure.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I've already uncovered 4 or 5 sidequests, and I haven't finished Chapter 1 yet. One of them is to talk to Viola for the dude writing the book. I need to find the scrolls for Raynie and Marco. I need to make some flowers bloom. I think that's it...

One of them might be a little more hidden, as it hasn't specifically been shown on my timeline map yet. I'm hearing reports of bandidts near the Sand Fortress and Judgement Cliff, that apparently saved a kid and his father from monsters. I was tempted to go out there and to let myself get killed by monsters to see what happens...

I really like the design of the main city. It's really easy to navigate, well thought out, and it's pretty easy to go around to talk to everyone once in a while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Exclamation-One said:
I believe that since most of the time they believe you're uncovering these sidequests without using a FAQ, I think the designers wanted it to be less cumbersome when it comes to time travel. I didn't use a FAQ at all (and got most of the gameplay hints in this thread), and finding the sidequests and pretty much doing most of them at the end became a little mentally taxing.

Most of the thinking you're going to be doing is during battles anyhow. I do, however, think you're overthinking the narrative and sidequest components of the game. Nothing really changes in this respect (though the game doesn't necessarily spoonfeed you everything), so if you find taking the narrative and time-travel aspects at face value frustrating and detrimental to your overall experience, despite liking the gameplay and music, perhaps you should pass on it. I am sorry that you're not having a good time with it. :(

finalozzo said:
guys, which party should i use?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28140582&postcount=905

TheExodu5 said:
I think I've already uncovered 4 or 5 sidequests, and I haven't finished Chapter 1 yet. One of them is to talk to Viola for the dude writing the book. I need to find the scrolls for Raynie and Marco. I need to make some flowers bloom. I think that's it...

One of them might be a little more hidden, as it hasn't specifically been shown on my timeline map yet. I'm hearing reports of bandidts near the Sand Fortress and Judgement Cliff, that apparently saved a kid and his father from monsters. I was tempted to go out there and to let myself get killed by monsters to see what happens...

I really like the design of the main city. It's really easy to navigate, well thought out, and it's pretty easy to go around to talk to everyone once in a while.
Second point: this will come into play much later in a certain sidequest. It's best to file it away in your mind for now. :)

Also, know that some sidequests ask you to make a decision much like the main quest does. Some of the bad endings can be interesting to see, despite having to travel forwards/backwards through time to make the right decision the next time you are given the opportunity.

And I really liked the town design too, specifically Alistel. I got an FF6 vibe from it. It was very well-planned. Despite only having a few screens, the city feels alive.

And this is my favourite part of it:

nO3Zi.jpg

A buncha guys just chugging down beer!

Finalow

Grzi said:
Every character has it's uses so it doesn't matter really, but Aht is probably the best damage dealer. She kinda sucks (although she has a couple of powerful non-trap attacks) against unmovable enemies, but it didn't bother me.
So I used Stocke, Aht and Eruca. Eruca is pretty powerful too, especially if you get her secret skills.
aht doesn't seem powerful, but if you say so i'll use her.
is she a better healer than marco?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
finalozzo said:
Yes, just because Aht gets her spells earlier. Her MAG and M.DEF are higher as well. Aht is also useful because of her Traps. She gets better traps in her sidequest, but traps help to get rid of enemies faster while you're slapping them around the grid with the other characters.

Here's Aht's spell list compared to Marco's. Marco, however, is excellent for Trans-turn, just like Eruca is. Eruca becomes more useful when she completes her skill sidequest. But Marco gets a ton of party buffs as well.

Aht
Steal
Weakness Scan
Polaris (this is a buff)
Electric Trap
Greater Heal (medium heal)
Bomb Trap
Ice Trap
Starlight
Poison Trap
Meteora
Area G-Heal (medium heal, all allies)
Push Assault
Cross Star (this is useful for building up combos)
Sleep Trap
Super Heal (high heal)
Lunatic (buff)
Air Assault
Mana Regen
Guard Break
Speed Break
Dreamless
Dancing Death - Starlit Trial sidequest (good for building up combos)
Volt Star Trap - Starlit Trial sidequest (3 areas instead of 1)
Fire Star Trap - Starlit Trial sidequest (3 areas instead of 1)
Frost Star Trap - Starlit Trial sidequest (3 areas instead of 1)

Marco
Heal
Grapple
Weakness Scan
Magic Boost
Guard Boost
Push Assault
Area Heal (low heal, all allies)
Speed Break
Trans-Turn
Resurrection (Stocke learns this as well)
All Recovery (all statuses on all allies are healed--iirc, Stocke learns the 1 ally version of this)
Greater Heal (med heal)
Guard Rise
Magic Rise
Super Heal (high heal, one ally)
Area G-Heal (medium heal, all allies)
Right Assault - Marco the Calm sidequest
Left Assault - Marco the Calm sidequest
Sleep Cloud - Marco the Calm sidequest
Spin Slash - Marco the Calm sidequest (good to build up combos)

The three parties I used were:

- Stocke, Aht and Gafka during endgame. If you do all the character skill sidequests, you get better AoE skills. Gafka, for example, can get Wind God Strike, that pushes all enemies (save for vines and crystals) into the center, and then you can just cast a spell to kill everything.

- Stocke, Marco, Raynie for some battles: Marco and Stocke can take turns moving enemies around the grid, while Raynie casts magic to kill all enemies on one grid point. I grinded a lot during the game, though, so that's probably why I had an easier time.

- Stocke, Gafka, Marco (for final boss only).

But honestly, anyone works depending on your strategy. There is no "right" party.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Being so close to the end the only thing I haven't liked about the game is the boss fights. They usually elect throwing a bunch of random mobs at you then just lighting you fight a big, bad boss character. I realize 3v1 on the grid system can be a little boring but it's sad to see some of the major villains in the game really not even get any battle time because they throw some guards or random monsters at you instead.

ferr

OK, so I'm fairly early on into this, I'm not sure if I'm totally screwing this up or not..
I had to choose between sticking with Heiss or joining Rosch.. since they foreshadowed Rosch dying with Stocke nearby I decided to go with Heiss. Now I'm at a point where I'm supposed to wait for the agent in Lazvil Hills who isn't showing up.. whether I wait for him or not doesn't seem to matter unless I'm missing something. Am I supposed to go back and join Rosch? I was hoping the time travel mistakes would be a little more blatant.

Edgeward said:

Aht makes most battles really really easy and fast.

finalozzo said:

Yes, unless you want to grind a lot with Marco. Aht is far better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ferr said:
OK, so I'm fairly early on into this, I'm not sure if I'm totally screwing this up or not..
I had to choose between sticking with Heiss or joining Rosch.. since they foreshadowed Rosch dying with Stocke nearby I decided to go with Heiss. Now I'm at a point where I'm supposed to wait for the agent in Lazvil Hills who isn't showing up.. whether I wait for him or not doesn't seem to matter unless I'm missing something. Am I supposed to go back and join Rosch? I was hoping the time travel mistakes would be a little more blatant.
To answer your question at the end: Yes.

worldrevolution said:
Being so close to the end the only thing I haven't liked about the game is the boss fights. They usually elect throwing a bunch of random mobs at you then just lighting you fight a big, bad boss character. I realize 3v1 on the grid system can be a little boring but it's sad to see some of the major villains in the game really not even get any battle time because they throw some guards or random monsters at you instead.
I'm guessing you're as disappointed in the
"Culgan and Seed"
-esque villains like I was?
I thought those two were going to live up to expectations.

Oh, yes... remember to steal during boss fights! You get awesome armour, some of which you can't buy at shops.

Magnus

I'm already getting rather disappointed with how the timeline mechanics operate in this game, and I only just started into Chapter 1.

But man, if that isn't the best soundtrack I've heard in years. I swear, that alone and the rather likeable characters are keeping me playing. Great stuff.

Finalow

Dark Schala said:
Yes, just because Aht gets her spells earlier. Her MAG and M.DEF are higher as well. Aht is also useful because of her Traps. She gets better traps in her sidequest, but traps help to get rid of enemies faster while you're slapping them around the grid with the other characters.

Here's Aht's spell list compared to Marco's. Marco, however, is excellent for Trans-turn, just like Eruca is. Eruca becomes more useful when she completes her skill sidequest. But Marco gets a ton of party buffs as well.

--cut--

The three parties I used were:

- Stocke, Aht and Gafka during endgame. If you do all the character skill sidequests, you get better AoE skills. Gafka, for example, can get Wind God Strike, that pushes all enemies (save for vines and crystals) into the center, and then you can just cast a spell to kill everything.

- Stocke, Marco, Raynie for some battles: Marco and Stocke can take turns moving enemies around the grid, while Raynie casts magic to kill all enemies on one grid point. I grinded a lot during the game, though, so that's probably why I had an easier time.

- Stocke, Gafka, Marco (for final boss only).

But honestly, anyone works depending on your strategy. There is no "right" party.
ok, thanks. :)

MooMoo

Once I hit Ch. 6 SH, I felt like the game got a little slow/started to drag a little. As much as I love the battle system, I found myself using the Vanish ability more often (I hope that isn't spoilery or anything) just so I could push forward. Still haven't finished the game yet but I'm almost there!

I just got a 42 hit combo; so satisfying! I agree with the first two party listings Dark Schala mentioned; Stock/Gafka/Aht is ridiculously powerful, especially as you progress the game and enemies tend to take up more than one space. Stock/Marco/Raynie is probably the standard party; not particularly weak or strong but extremely versatile. But pretty much any party combo works, which is what I especially like about this game; typically in RPGs there's one or two characters who are obviously weaker or worthless but here they're all equally strong/useful.

Finalow

now i'm using stocke/aht/eruca; this party is really strong, especially when you complete their skill sidequest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Exclamation-One said:
Story's getting better.

Gameplay's grown in complexity.

I can't stop playing.
Glad you're enjoying it more than before. :)

finalozzo said:
now i'm using stocke/aht/eruca; this party is really strong, especially when you complete their skill sidequest.
Yep--Eruca's buffs are really nice. They really good at getting you out of trouble in some of the boss battles, especially if the boss hits hard.

Did you complete the sidequest where you fight
Master Vainqueur
?

Finalow

Dark Schala said:
Yep--Eruca's buffs are really nice. They really good at getting you out of trouble in some of the boss battles, especially if the boss hits hard.
divine light ftw.
Dark Schala said:
Did you complete the sidequest where you fight
Master Vainqueur
?
yep.

Just beat the final boss. Pretty cool game. Once the story kicks in it's smooth sailing, and the battle system only gets better as you get further in. Trying to rack up the highest level combo possible is bizarrely addicting.

I think my only problem was the battle pacing with regards to gaining experience (and using up money/items)... it ended up being very cumbersome to fight enemies (depleting HP/MP) during normal gameplay, so I ended up alternating between avoiding battles to advance the plot, and finding good grinding spots (Granorg when
there are enemies in town
is the best one) to level up. It'd be nice if I didn't have to do that, because otherwise the game is almost flawless.

Now, I get the gist that there's stuff in the endings depending on what sidequests you finish? I got 4 I think, in addition to what I would classify as the main one (maybe?
It involves Stocke and Kiel.
)

However, I'm really going to need a proper guide to sniff 100%, because I thought I did a pretty good job and there's still stuff all over the map I missed. Does such a thing exist? Specifically, all I really care about is seeing the "true" ending stuff, so tips there would be great.

Party was Stocke/Raynie/Aht, though Stocke/anyone/Aht probably would've sufficed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Elfforkusu said:
Now, I get the gist that there's stuff in the endings depending on what sidequests you finish? I got 4 I think, in addition to what I would classify as the main one (maybe?
It involves Stocke and Kiel.
)

However, I'm really going to need a proper guide to sniff 100%, because I thought I did a pretty good job and there's still stuff all over the map I missed. Does such a thing exist? Specifically, all I really care about is seeing the "true" ending stuff, so tips there would be great.
Yes, and yes.

This thread on GameFAQs will help out a bit: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/604160-radiant-historia/58266464. I'm sure GameFAQs must have a guide up by now.

The quests you need for the true ending are:
Standard History
The King’s Daughter – Chapter 1 (Anna in Alistel)
What was Inherited – Chapter 1 (Children in front of Weapon shop in Alistel)
Mankind and Beastkind – Chapter 2 (Guard on the left-hand side in Granorg), which finishes in Chapter 6
Dias Assassination – Chapter 3 (Guy dying at gate in Granorg)
An Unwanted Reunion – Chapter 5 (Ricky in Cygnus)

Alternate History
Red Letter Day – Chapter 1 (Research lab in Alistel--talk to the researcher in the room next to Sonja's room)
A Letter to Tomorrow – Chapter 1 (Cedric in Alistel)
Wandering Soul – Chapter 3 (Vanoss in Alistel)
The Beast God’s Birth – Chapter 5 (Galva (the elder) in Forgia)
At Journey’s End – Chapter 5 (Marco in Skalla)

Just note that whenever that thread tells you to go to the node
Skalla Liberated
, you can use the
Gafka and the Scrolls
node instead as a shortcut.

Beat this a week ago and permitted to myself read thru the thread since.

Excellent game, loved the
"make right what once and future went wrong"
mentality.

Characters are interesting and have varying degrees of multifacetedness, which is becoming a requirement for me lately. Stocke, Rosch, and Eruca especially were good and avoided low-hanging-fruit tropes.

Music was GOD TIER. Easily Shimomura's best work since Legend of Mana. Edge of Green, Blue Radiance, The Garden Where Celestite Lies, Wildness and Toughness, and especially Mechanical Kingdom (which doesn't fit the scene at ALL; musta been the one she was saying in that Atlus interview she assigned and hoped they wouldn't object, lol).

Battle system did wonders for something that got easier the better you got at it, and NEVER felt like busy work masking itself as depth or difficulty. This is admirable.

Similar to Tactics Ogre (PSP)'s CHARIOT, the ability to land everything in one playthru without being dryly "collectathony" or blatantly channelized.

Exclamation-One said:
Story's getting better.

Gameplay's grown in complexity.

I can't stop playing.

Another Satisfied Atlus Customer.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got around to starting this. After just an hour I can already tell this is going to be very awesome. Getting an old-school SNES RPG vibe already, in a good way!

Also wanted to pipe in. Started playing this while struggling to get LA Noire running...and I'm hooked. The music and scenario give me serious Xenogears nostalgia (it's not the same of course, but the feel is very similar.) I don't think I'll start Noire until I'm done this, which basically means it could be one of the best JRPGs I've played in a few years.

TheExodu5

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Music was GOD TIER. Easily Shimomura's best work since Legend of Mana. Edge of Green, Blue Radiance, The Garden Where Celestite Lies, Wildness and Toughness, and especially Mechanical Kingdom (which doesn't fit the scene at ALL; musta been the one she was saying in that Atlus interview she assigned and hoped they wouldn't object, lol).

Yup. Best JRPG soundtrack I've heard in a long time.

Anyone else find the first few seconds of Edge of Green sounds like MGS?

Top Bottom