• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun |OT| Ikaruga's Spiritual Predecessor

LiK

99ylR.png

Title: Radiant Silvergun
Platform: XBLA
Genre: Vertical Shooter
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Microsoft
Official Site

HAIzE.jpg

Release date: September 14, 2011
Price: 1200 Points
Ratings: Cero B | ESRB Teen

HpD0x.jpg

[Official Description]
Radiant Silvergun, restored by Treasure, is now available! The shoot ‘em up gameplay that made this a legend remains unchanged, but a hidden "Ikaruga-style" shooting mode gives everyone something new. Previously only available in Japan, Radiant Silvergun on Xbox LIVE Arcade also provides leaderboards, co-op play locally or over Xbox LIVE, downloadable replays, and improved visuals making it the version to own.

[Game Overview] (via Google Translate)
Art of Shooting "Radiant Silver Gun" is finally here! Keep the original gameplay, and multiplayer network also supports a ranking score Xbox LIVE.

And vertical scrolling shooter in the history of classic, acclaimed worldwide, "Ikaruga" Part of this work falls, then resurrected on Xbox LIVE Arcade. This arcade version of past work, both because it was released only in Japan, Sega Saturn version, will be released outside of Japan is the first time.

In this work, seven weapons and systems to reproduce the original system of high ratings from the fans, you can experience the story and all stages of the arcade version and the Sega Saturn version. In addition to improved graphics quality, additional features are unique to Xbox LIVE Arcade.

cfkNi.jpg

[Game Features] (via Google Translate)
- Appeared to leave the Xbox LIVE Arcade classic shooting gameplay of the original

Ported to Sega Saturn mode and arcade mode faithful

Shot seven separate weapons, exploit the various stages

Bonus system in its own chain to double the score by defeating enemies in a particular order

By earning a score in the chain bonus level to effectively ship weapons

Boss Rush shooting experience unprecedented anger. Enemy attacks impressive variety of bosses, seven weapons, and conquer the terrain and sometimes clever use.

Original BGM by Hitoshi Sakimoto

- Xbox LIVE Arcade version of the new features can not be experienced only

By supporting two simultaneous cooperative play on Xbox LIVE, you can enjoy the fun of playing one person working from home

By supporting online score ranking system, players can compete and score in the world

By supporting data upload and download stats of a user to watch the transcendence of the top players in the world play

Greatly improves the graphics power. Graphics also can be played in the original

As a bonus hidden mode implementation Ikaruga style shooters

[Videos]
Trailer
Gameplay

[Screenshots]

gCpXB.jpg

Udgc4.jpg

bZmtZ.jpg

XiFPo.jpg

U0zJe.jpg

[Reviews]

IGN - 9.0
1UP - A-
Gaming Age - B+

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So bought.
360= shmup machine
Now give me Gradius V and Gun Birds I&II so that I can also put away my PS2 for good. Put in there Mars Matrix, Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2 and Border Down as well and I might as well retire from social life.

d0c_zaius

This game is and will always be my favorite shooter.

I wish I could buy this for everyone in the world.

2 WEEKS YES!!!!! Sucks I wont really be able to play it until a couple weeks later but just having it will be good enough.

My saturn copy will be forever alone.

Dash Kappei said:
So bought.
360= shmup machine
Now give me Gradius V and Gun Birds I&II so that I can also put away my PS2 for good. Put in there Mars Matrix, Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2 and Border Down as well and I might as well retire from social life.

Mmmmmhmmmm.

see5harp

Never got to play this one on Saturn so I'm looking forward to it. Can anyone describe how difficult the chaining system is? All I can tell from a few clips is that same colored enemies will build chain but I can't tell if you can keep a chain going if you start shooting ships of a different color. SHMUP noob for the most part and never play for score, but I figure maybe I'll try this out for a palate cleanse before the shooter glut in the next couple months.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
There's nothing spiritual about it. Radiant Silvergun was the predecessor to Ikaruga (and is the better game).

Dash Kappei said:
So bought.
360= shmup machine

Gunbird 2 on PS2? Dreamcast all the way, baby!

Thanks for the OP LiK :)

Never got round to buying this on the Saturn, despite being a huge shmup fan. Will be there as soon as this goes up on XBLA though! Let's hope it actually gets released on the 14th and not be a Guardian Heroes situation :p

Demathe

Neo Member
Can't wait! :)

Almost bought a saturn copy a few weeks before the XBLA release was announced. Now I get to play it AND save alotta money, which I now might use to get an 360 arcade stick.

kyubajin

I'm lucky enough to own the Satrun original and yet feel but forsaken by Treasure and their no PSN love :( And yes, I know the 360 is the shmup machine but damn...

2San

Can't believe I'm saying this about a shmup, but the graphics and the art direction look like shit(I'm aware this is a game from 1998, but shmups where way better on the eyes even then).

Respawn

Banned
kyubajin said:
I'm lucky enough to own the Satrun original and yet feel but forsaken by Treasure and their no PSN love :( And yes, I know the 360 is the shmup machine but damn...
I have two copies :)

LiK

Eggo said:
There's nothing spiritual about it. Radiant Silvergun was the predecessor to Ikaruga (and is the better game).
It's a bit of the joke in reference to whenever I read discussions about Ikaruga way back.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Still my favourite shoot-em-up of all time by a long way.

The different number of strategies you could use to perfect your score was way beyond anything else, and still is.

Not to mention the most imaginative shoot-em-up as well, the last boss was stunning.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zeppelin said:
Might get this one. What's the gameplay like compared to Ikaruga?

Ikuraga takes one of RS's mechanics and runs with it. It's purer and more brutal than RS.

RS is more diverse with lots of different strategies you can use, and for me was much more enjoyable as a result.

AC!D

Feeling the nostalgia force with this one big time, can't wait for the 14th!!

Actually looks beautiful in HD as well. <3

SmokyDave

That looks so good. I want to double dip for the HD loveliness but I think I might go insane playing this on a 360 pad. Wish my USB Saturn pad worked with the 360 :(

Eggo said:
It even says 'Project RS2' on the Ikaruga title screen iirc.

Can't wait for this, I need to go pick up some points so I have enough for this and whenever they decide to let us have Guardian Heroes.

AC!D

SmokyDave said:
That looks so good. I want to double dip for the HD loveliness but I think I might go insane playing this on a 360 pad. Wish my USB Saturn pad worked with the 360 :(

It even says 'Project RS2' on the Ikaruga title screen iirc.

SmokyDave, I reccomend the Street Fighter IV pads for shoot 'em ups on the 360. Still not as good as the classic Saturn Pad, but close enough. They work great with the Cave shooters and Ikaruga.

SOME MIST said:
My fingers are crossed that this isn't as bad as the 360 Ikaruga port.

I've played Ikaruga on the Dreamcast, Gamecube and XB360. What was so bad about that port? Seemed identical to me?

I've been using "Be Attitude For Gains" as my Xbox 360 user message since I've had the system (and on DS and a few other places), I am curious if anybody on my friend's list will be playing this for the first time and get a strange sense of déjà vu when they encounter a boss.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much of myself, heh.

AC!D said:
SmokyDave, I reccomend the Street Fighter IV pads for shoot 'em ups on the 360. Still not as good as the classic Saturn Pad, but close enough. They work great with the Cave shooters and Ikaruga.

I've played Ikaruga on the Dreamcast, Gamecube and XB360. What was so bad about that port? Seemed identical to me?

Or a stick. Even moreso than with fighting games, a stick increases skill with shooters.

Ikaruga XBLA was panned because it deviated from the original in a few spots (enemy/bullet patterns, iirc).

So excited to be able to own this again for $15. Sold my Saturn copy at least a decade ago because I couldn't turn down the profits. Been looking forward to this date for a long time. :)

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
Or a stick. Even moreso than with fighting games, a stick increases skill with shooters.
As much as I love playing fighting games with an arcade stick, when it comes to shmups, I'm a pad warrior. I'm much more comfortable with the PS1 D-Pad setup I have on my computer. Makes it easy to do diagonal dodging and I feel like I'm a bit faster switching directions. That's probably not the case for most people though.

SOME-MIST

Secks4Food said:
Umm it was an excellent port, but we can always hope that this will be better I suppose.
AC!D said:
I'm assuming you guys haven't played it enough? Enemy placements are different. Enemies spawn at different times. Boss lasers that go the opposite way (as there are a few instances of mirrored paths). Chains that are normally fluid in the GC + DC versions breaking for those reasons + unknown reasons.

The versions aren't comparable, as in, if you're competing for score you can't match the gc + dc versions with the 360 version. The only players you can compete with are on the 360 leaderboards because otherwise it would be considered a broken port. The GC + DC versions are nearly identical and actually match the PCB quite well. My GC + DC runs match with the PCB at galloping ghost arcade.
you guys' are telling me you didn't notice any of these issues? I noticed them instantly on my first credit with the 360 version.

AC!D said:
If you can find it (it used to be on sale for 80 bucks and now it's out of print), I prefer the HRAP EX-SE. The reason being the seimitsu parts.

The switches aren't as sensitive as sanwa or standard parts, but they have a shorter travel distance which is perfect for quick bombs/abilities. I also like the seimitsu sticks because of the harder spring, but all that stuff is mod-able. The main reason I'm excited to double-dip is because of being able to use my EX-SE instead of a saturn gamepad. I've grown accustomed to it with Cave shmups with the 1000+ hours I've sunk into their games. It's still been holding up quite well.

DECK'ARD said:
Ikuraga takes one of RS's mechanics and runs with it. It's purer and more brutal than RS.RS is more diverse with lots of different strategies you can use, and for me was much more enjoyable as a result.

This is good. While I enjoyed Ikaruga on XBLA I don't play many SHMUPS and it became quite difficult for me.

To Far Away Times said:
As much as I love playing fighting games with an arcade stick, when it comes to shmups, I'm a pad warrior. I'm much more comfortable with the PS1 D-Pad setup I have on my computer. Makes it easy to do diagonal dodging and I feel like I'm a bit faster switching directions. That's probably not the case for most people though.

All twitch games play better with a stick- it's not possible to be as quick or as accurate with your thumb as you would be using your whole hand.

SmokyDave

AC!D said:
Thanks for the heads-up chap. I'm sorely tempted to grab a dual modded stick but I hardly ever play on my 360 so it's not been worth it so far. I'll inevitably grab RS on release so we'll see if it tips me over to buying a new pad / stick :)

SOME-MIST

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
All twitch games play better with a stick- it's not possible to be as quick or as accurate with your thumb as you would be using your whole hand.
Yes, but switching from a pad to arcade stick is essentially relearning how to play the entire game again. Tho in the end, you'll benefit from all the effort spent. I learned this lesson twice. Once with psyvariar 2 on dreamcast - switching from dpad to stick, and then a 2nd time when I bought myself Futari without having had a stick for 360. Tho the 2nd time around it was much easier to adjust.

that's why I tend to recommend a seimitsu stick. It has less deadzone than most sanwa's and the tighter spring allows for more precise movements, as opposed to the buttery feeling motion of a sanwa - which is perfect for fighting games. To be honest, I wish they were still going to make the hori real arcade pro ex-se radiant silvergun edition, because I probably would have went out and bought another stick. http://www.play-asia.com/HORI_Real_...ergun_Design/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-433r.html

hopefully they changed their mind.

Top Bottom