• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun |OT| Ikaruga's Spiritual Predecessor

jluedtke

Got mine, complete with spine card and in immaculate condition for $150.

I'm going to second those recommending either an arcade stick or the Street Fighter IV pad. I'll be using the pad just because of its similarity to the Saturn pad. The Saturn pad is perfect for this game, so if you have that option, by all means do so. I think the 360 controller would be a mess for this game, but I could be wrong. On the Saturn, all six face buttons are used, as well as the R button. And yes, they're all useful.

Can't wait for this.

And the guy who said all shmups are the same: either a troll or ignorant.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
jluedtke said:
I think the 360 controller would be a mess for this game, but I could be wrong. On the Saturn, all six face buttons are used, as well as the R button. And yes, they're all useful.
Ikaruga XBLA added analog control for the thumbstick, so there might be some point in using that here too.

jluedtke said:
Got mine, complete with spine card and in immaculate condition for $150.

I'm going to second those recommending either an arcade stick or the Street Fighter IV pad. I'll be using the pad just because of its similarity to the Saturn pad. The Saturn pad is perfect for this game, so if you have that option, by all means do so. I think the 360 controller would be a mess for this game, but I could be wrong. On the Saturn, all six face buttons are used, as well as the R button. And yes, they're all useful.

Can't wait for this.

And the guy who said all shmups are the same: either a troll or ignorant.
SF4 fightpads are kinda bad imo.

Sixfortyfive

_dementia said:
SF4 fightpads are kind bad imo.
Yep. Have to push the d-pad farther than on most other controllers to get diagonals to register and it's prone to fall apart after a few months.

I'd honestly use the stock 360 controller over it for a game like this.

Sixfortyfive said:
Yep. Have to push the d-pad farther than on most other controllers to get diagonals to register and it's prone to fall apart after a few months.

I'd honestly use the stock 360 controller over it for a game like this.
I haven't had any problems with mine yet, but I'll definitely try this on the TE as well. You can play it using only 3 buttons IIRC.

SOME-MIST said:
I felt the same way until I realized 99% of shmups/shmup ports this gen are on the 360. Then I went out and bought a japanese 360.

i hear ya... i used to have one but it red ringed on me like 3 times, that was that...

it's ok though, woulda been nice but i can live without shmups i suppose... way too many other games to play anyways

Parallax Scroll said:
I haven't had any problems with mine yet, but I'll definitely try this on the TE as well. You can play it using only 3 buttons IIRC.

Arcade was 3 buttons.

Sixfortyfive said:
Ikaruga XBLA added analog control for the thumbstick, so there might be some point in using that here too.

Sixfortyfive said:
I'd honestly use the stock 360 controller

oh my god

_dementia said:
SF4 fightpads are kinda bad imo.

They definitely require a firm press to get stuff to come out, but they seem like the best d-pad solution on the system, unless you like PS3 style pads, in which case those Hori controllers are good.

Sixfortyfive

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
oh my god
Madcatz d-pad is decent for circular motions, but it's probably less suited to abrupt directional changes than a stock 360 thumbstick. Breaks down faster too. Don't see why someone would use it for this game.

Tain

yeah, Wolfgunblood Garopa, I see where you're coming from, but there's just nothing ridiculous about using a pad to play this game. The advantages of a stick for movement are overblown.

Tons of people clear shooters with a pad. The differences are so minute (at least in this genre) that, in the long term, given two players with the same skill level and ample time to get used to a control scheme, I doubt they're very perceptible. Hell, the best western DoDonPachi player uses a keyboard. I really don't think he'd be noticeably better given enough time to get comfortable with a stick.

I use a stick because it's way more fun, though!

Jockel

Chacranajxy said:
Like what? First person shooters? At least those change outside of the graphics. Halo is completely different from FEAR, which is completely different from Call of Duty. There's no difference between this game and that Gunwage shit from last year. Which, by the way, wasn't worth $10 because it was like 30 minutes.
This guy is clearly tag fishing.

SOME-MIST

Tain said:
yeah, Wolfgunblood Garopa, I see where you're coming from, but there's just nothing ridiculous about using a pad to play this game. The advantages of a stick for movement are overblown.

Tons of people clear shooters with a pad. The differences are so minute (at least in this genre) that, in the long term, given two players with the same skill level and ample time to get used to a control scheme, I doubt they're very perceptible. Hell, the best western DoDonPachi player uses a keyboard. I really don't think he'd be noticeably better given enough time to get comfortable with a stick.

I use a stick because it's way more fun, though!
what's the best eastern dodonpachi player use??
regardless, how I see it is how a racing wheel functions in racing games. There's a minute difference, but that minute difference is why everyone in top ranks in gt5 uses a wheel (with faster times by a split second).

I also wonder if that western ddp player uses only his thumb on the keyboard or 3 fingers.

Tain

SOME-MIST said:
what's the best eastern dodonpachi player use??
regardless, how I see it is how a racing wheel functions in racing games. There's a minute difference, but that minute difference is why everyone in top ranks in gt5 uses a wheel (with faster times by a split second).

I also wonder if that western ddp player uses only his thumb on the keyboard or 3 fingers.

That could very well be the case. The loose evidence, as it stands, is on the side of joysticks. Given the monumental effort it would take to prove that joysticks will "make you play better", though, I doubt we'll ever know for sure. And given the skill level of everybody on GAF, I doubt it could make a tangible difference. I still suggest using them, but this isn't "analog sticks for Quake" or "dpad for racing games" stuff.

Plus, there are bigger concerns out there for people that think their hardware might be an obstacle. Like playing this on an HDTV.

Tain, I was arguing that there is an advantage to a stick, not that it's ridiculous to use a pad.

The freaks that trained themselves to play emulators with a keyboard didn't have the decency to use a respectable controller, I do not acknowledge their accomplishments.

Tain

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
The freaks that trained themselves to play emulators with a keyboard didn't have the decency to use a respectable controller, I do not acknowledge their accomplishments.

lol, same for hitboxes, I'm sure.

SOME-MIST

Tain said:
That could very well be the case. The loose evidence, as it stands, is on the side of joysticks. Given the monumental effort it would take to prove that joysticks will "make you play better", though, I doubt we'll ever know for sure. And given the skill level of everybody on GAF, I doubt it could make a tangible difference. I still suggest using them, but this isn't "analog sticks for Quake" or "dpad for racing games" stuff.

Plus, there are bigger concerns out there for people that think their hardware might be an obstacle. Like playing this on an HDTV.
hey now! a month ago I was ranked 16th for my character in akai katana (arcade) and top 50 for ketsuipachi too! not incredible feats but I'm not that bad for a westerner :(
I've got numerous 1CC replays saved for futari original too! but not as much luck with maniac..

IMG_20110326_164208-1.jpg

Tain

SOME-MIST said:
hey now! a month ago I was ranked 16th for my character in akai katana (arcade) and top 50 for ketsuipachi too! not incredible feats but I'm not that bad for a westerner :(
I've got numerous 1CC replays saved for futari original too! but not as much luck with maniac..

IMG_20110326_164208-1.jpg

Certainly better than I am at AK! I'm just saying that this stuff would, in all likelihood, be downright microscopic. If noticeable at all, then probably only among the best of the best of the best.

SOME-MIST

Tain said:
Certainly better than I am at AK! I'm just saying that this stuff would, in all likelihood, be downright microscopic. If noticeable at all, then probably only among the best of the best of the best.
I agree to a certain extent. performance differs slightly when swapping between the two, but at least for me, it's much more comfortable using a stick. All my 1 credit clears and high scores have been with my stick, but if I put enough time playing with my d-pad I could possible accomplish the same goal. I just haven't put enough effort into my d-pad performance.

It does seem more logical that you have more control using your whole hand as opposed to a finger or a few fingers.

i'll be playing with my TE stick, cannot wait for this. sakimoto's soundtrack is so awesome, and it still has one of my favorite final bosses of all time

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cj_iwakura said:
As a die-hard Saturn fan, this is relevant to my interests, just not owning the console relevant yet.
Same. If this had some kind of arrange mode that does away with mandatory chaining, I would immediately order a J360 and retire my Saturn for good.

Jockel

Tain said:
Hell, the best western DoDonPachi player uses a keyboard.
Haha Prometheus came over on my birthday party and made a live score run.
I still have the replay file. Nerdgasm.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
IIRC, there was supposed to be a feature that you needed to own Ikaruga to unlock... Did they ever say what that was?

Still completely giddy that we should have this and Guardian Heroes HD in a couple weeks. And frankly, it's nice to get a new (good) shmup that's not from Cave...

Chacranajxy said:
IIRC, there was supposed to be a feature that you needed to own Ikaruga to unlock... Did they ever say what that was?

Still completely giddy that we should have this and Guardian Heroes HD in a couple weeks. And frankly, it's nice to get a new (good) shmup that's not from Cave...
Did you try Strania? That's actually a new game, and it's quite good.

The Ikaruga-incentive feature was supposed to be a polarity-style arrange mode IIRC

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
_dementia said:
Did you try Strania? That's actually a new game, and it's quite good.

The Ikaruga-incentive feature was supposed to be a polarity-style arrange mode IIRC

Lol, I keep forgetting that I have Strania and its dlc. Havent really played it, but the couple levels I dicked around with were pretty rad. Great music, too, but it's g rev so that wasnt a surprise.

Sixfortyfive

So do you have to own Ikaruga XBLA to unlock that special mode in RSG XBLA? Not that it particularly matters to me, since I already own it. Just curious.

I'm hoping that the arrange mode lives up to its potential, as there is a lot to like in RSG and the game would shine quite a lot more without a scoring system designed to suck all the fun out of the game. One thing I do really like about Treasure in general is that they're not afraid to touch up or change things in their ports. Even their games that have a long release gap between regions usually get changes for the better by the time they're released overseas.

I'll be playing this one with my Seimitsu TE stick before anything else. This is one of those games that needs crazy accuracy.

Thank you so much Treasure! God I'm a fanboy.

Top Bottom